2 Row malt+Amylase enzymes

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

unknown
Novice

2 Row malt+Amylase enzymes

Post by unknown »

So in an effort to find 6 row malt locally I have started to consider the use of enzymes (been doing NChoochs bourbon with 2row and having a poor conversion) .... I have a brew shop that stocks Crosby and Baker products and she can get powdered Amylase enzyme no problem, but they sell the gluco-amylase in a liquid form here's a link

http://crosby-baker.com/index.php/proce ... zymes.html
Its the 9576A Convertase AG-300, 1/2 Liter

I'd like to use this for doing rice washes for a nice vodka as well
Prairiepiss
retired

Re: 2 Row malt+Amylase enzymes

Post by Prairiepiss »

Just add some more 2 row?
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
unknown
Novice

Post by unknown »

Very true... But at the cost of 2 row and the cost of a few tablespoons wouldn't it be a bit cheaper to add a bit of enzyme? Not that i'm trying to nickel and dime this hobby but anything helps
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

enzymes will add nothing ,2 row will add some flavor /sugar as well as enzymes
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

What do you mean you are having poor conversion? 3 lbs of 2 row should have enough enzymes to convert 10 lbs of grain. At 120dp that would be 36 DP per pound. 6 more then the recommended 30. If you added a half pound on top of the 10lbs you would get 40 DP per pound. Or replaced .5 pound of corn with .5 2 row. That would be 42 DP per pound. A 1/4 pound would be 38 DP and 39 DP.

Are you following NC's mashing process? How are you mashing?
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
rtalbigr
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rtalbigr »

camboscams wrote:So in an effort to find 6 row malt locally I have started to consider the use of enzymes (been doing NChoochs bourbon with 2row and having a poor conversion) .... I have a brew shop that stocks Crosby and Baker products and she can get powdered Amylase enzyme no problem, but they sell the gluco-amylase in a liquid form here's a link

http://crosby-baker.com/index.php/proce ... zymes.html
Its the 9576A Convertase AG-300, 1/2 Liter

I'd like to use this for doing rice washes for a nice vodka as well
Besides the flavors and sugars that Dnder mentioned, with the 2-row you are getting a whole spectrum of enzymes, the most important being the Beta Amylase. With just the alpha and gluco you are limited in your ability to convert your starches. Gluco really doesn't do that much, and with just alpha you will end up with some un-fermentable sugars. If your mashing process is done properly the combination of the alpha and beta in the 2-row will maximize your fermentable sugars. Another consideration is the corn you are using. Feed grade cracked corn typically has low yields, so the greater the percentage of cracked corn in your grain bill the lower amount of sugars you will get. So, by increasing the amount of 2-row you will increase your yield. I use powdered alpha in my mashing process only to somewhat thin the corn out while cooking. I find little use for it other than that.

That being said, the DP ratio in your grain bill isn't necessarily a limiting factor in conversion. I have used a DP ratio as low as 24 L/lb and had good conversion. It's much more about understand what's going on, understanding the mashing process, and being precise and meticulous in your procedures.

Big R
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt
maplespirits
Novice

Post by maplespirits »

Ok, really stupid question, but what is DP ratio? water to grain ratio?
thanks
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

Diestatice Power,,,,also written as L for lintier?,its the amount of enzymes .you need at least a average of 30 per LB.of grain.
maplespirits
Novice

Post by maplespirits »

Thanks!!!