Peach brandy mash ???

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Old Man
Novice

Peach brandy mash ???

Post by Old Man »

I followed Taters fruit recipe & am waiting for the cap to fall on my first peach mash / beer ! I ve been pushing the cap down ever 3 days or so It been workin 15 days now & I m gettn anxious !!!!!!!!!!!!! My ? is if its not ready to run this weekend it will be fine {airlocked} till next weekend right ? That way it would settle out & I could just siphon off the mash & leave the peach lees & distill OR do yall recomend running slow pulp & all for mo flava ?????????? Read of both ways on here ! I plan to add corn back to this 1/4 backset peach lees / solids & sugar & make some split brandy :thumbup: :thumbdown: What yall thank :idea: Thanks in advance for replys
rtalbigr
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Peach brandy mash ???

Post by rtalbigr »

I recently did some peaches and the must sat for two week before I could run it with no problems. Depending on the yeast you used, letting it rest on the lees can be benefitual. Unless your pot is set up with a false bottom I'd get as much of the pulp out as you can, ya don't want it settin on the bottom and scorching. I run my through a paint strainer bag and then pput in a carboy to let everything settle and clear. Don't know about your split brandy, never done that but give it a whirl, be nice to see what ya get.

Big R
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt
mountaingirl23
Novice

Post by mountaingirl23 »

I also just did that recipe (kinda)...ended up having 2 use a yeast bomb cause I needed to get on with it. I think they should be fine with the air lock. I noticed that the peaches stayed on the top and I scooped them off before the run. That's what I have and hope it helps. Would be interested to know how much flavor you get?
Titliest07
Novice

Post by Titliest07 »

I know this says peach brandy....but when you run this is this what people call Peach Moonshine....
TexasReflux
Swill Maker

Post by TexasReflux »

The wash will be fine, as long as you dont mess with it too much only use clean sterile tools.

I usually double my runs, and I have thought you could macerate some of the fruit with the single-ing before doubling (in this case, peaches). Might add to the flavor.
Is this correct?
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

patience is rarely a problem in this hobby.

sounds like you have a good plan. I don't think you are going to go wrong either way. Gotta be real careful distilling with a lot of solids in the boiler.

I like your plan for the split brandy. Let us know how it goes.

edit, Texasreflux, I've done that with apples, grains and grapes. I always ran a double boiler and would double with the fruit or grain in the boiler. Works great for flavoring. may not always taste like you expect, but always a lot of flavor.
Last edited by junkyard dawg on Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
this is the internet
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

mountaingirl23 wrote:. I noticed that the peaches stayed on the top and I scooped them off before the run. That's what I have and hope it helps. Would be interested to know how much flavor you get?
If they was still floating wash wasn't finished.Some feel that ya can get a tad more flavor running a wash before its fermented out.reckon its a matter of taste. :)
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
rtalbigr
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rtalbigr »

I've macerated blacked cherries and distilled with the black cherries (I have a false bottom in my pot). The flavor carried through very nicely and it made an excellent drinks. As I recall I macerated for 6-8 weeks @ 40%.

Big R
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt
jake_leg
Swill Maker

Post by jake_leg »

TexasReflux wrote:I usually double my runs, and I have thought you could macerate some of the fruit with the single-ing before doubling (in this case, peaches). Might add to the flavor.
Is this correct?
Yes, I think another thing that people do is ferment the fruit and add the singlings to the spent fruit mash.
Old Man
Novice

Post by Old Man »

Thanks for your replys ! I will use the paint strainer bag trick this time to be safe ! Thanks for that tip :ebiggrin: I use 30 pieces of 1/2 in. lengths of 3/4 copper pipe in my pot as boiler chips to break the boil / Do yall thank this would help with the sticking scorching problem?????????? I read about the "split brandy" in Joseph Earl Dabneys book More Mountain Spirits & I just want to try it ! I will post & let yall know how it goes :thumbup: :thumbdown: I plan to single run this batch because of time issues but maybe next time try & double run & compare flavor { if I can save back some of the single run for that long} Ive got my eyes on some plumbs right now & when they start falling Im gonna get me 5 gal. & freeze them for some plum brandy for New Years :clap: Thank you all for your help ! The cap is still on the peach mash so I will let it fall & clear before I run it !
rtalbigr
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rtalbigr »

I don't tnink the boiling chips will help much in preventing scorching. Ya really need something to keep the pulp off the bottom of the pot, like a false bottom, or use a double boiler set up.

Big R
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

I use chips myself for that reason .To help prevent scorching and breaks the boil .
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
WalkingWolf
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by WalkingWolf »

Titliest07 wrote:I know this says peach brandy....but when you run this is this what people call Peach Moonshine....
Might take a look at this one also.

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 3#p6919389

I'd think you could probably get a decent peach flavor with the Panty-dropper recipe using peaches.
rtalbigr
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rtalbigr »

WalkingWolf wrote:
Titliest07 wrote:I know this says peach brandy....but when you run this is this what people call Peach Moonshine....
Might take a look at this one also.

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 3#p6919389

I'd think you could probably get a decent peach flavor with the Panty-dropper recipe using peaches.
I just recently put up some stuff similiar to that, just didn't add any sugar; 1 peach (pealed, frozen, and thawed), 1 vinilla bean, 1 cinnamon stick, all in a quart jar and then topped of with peach brandy. Got 5 quarts. Figure by Christmas it'll be ready to give as gifts to family.

Big R
OmahaRed
Novice

Post by OmahaRed »

I realize this thread is a bit old, but can you temper the distillate with some nectar of whichever fruit you're using for the must, or would that be too syrupy? I've had some apricot brandy from a buddy that was sweet as summer wine, but snuck right up on me in the blink of an eye. I guess he wasn't much of a buddy, as he kept the secret to himself! I really like the apricot brandy, but i'm real interested in pear/apple.

thanks guys