Wheat whiskey?

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Slowninja
Swill Maker

Wheat whiskey?

Post by Slowninja »

Still a newbie to the all grain world, but so far i'm pleased with my first all grain batch.

While at the local brew shop, i was browsing their grain selection. Ive been struck with curiousity about a particular grain: Malted Red Wheat. (found here: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/rahr ... alt-1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow)

I was thinking about Red Wheat Whiskey, something along the lines of 75% the malted red wheat, and 25% 6 row malt.

Does anyone have any experience with this grain? Does it make a good tasting liqour? Since it is malted, Basically I'll hold it around 140-150 degrees for a couple of hours, and I can cook the malt along with it (since I won't be exceeding 150 degrees). Is this correct?
biker geek
Swill Maker

Re: Wheat whiskey?

Post by biker geek »

I just got a bottle of Death's Door white whiskey. The grain bill is supposed to be 80%wheat/20% barley malt. It's...interesting. I'm going to put some oak in it to see what happens.
HolyBear
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by HolyBear »

You might want to read this... http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =red+wheat

And this... http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/r ... wheat-malt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

And this... Re: The Book of Dnderhead by wacabi1 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:03 pm

Re: Vodka with Wheat

red wheat is a bit more astringent. hard wheat is higher in protein soft wheat is highest in starch if you want wheat to malt then pick hard wheat the highest yield whould be from soft wheat (id do a stepped mash)

rice syrup is sweetener,used in cooking etc.

by Dnderhead Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:20 pm

Forum: Mashing and Fermenting Topic: Vodka with Wheat Replies: 40 Views: 832
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
rtalbigr
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rtalbigr »

I use red wheat a lot. It makes an excellent whiskey by its self and is also excellent in bourbons. I strongly recommend you do a step mash with it however.

Big R
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt
Rocketboy
Novice

Post by Rocketboy »

I also like the red wheat, use it quite often. I usually add a couple jars of the toasted wheat germ and a pound of white wheat as well. After six months in charred oak barrels at about 130 proof, this stuff is so smooth you forget you're drinking whiskey. I'm not a big fan of the spicy flavor of rye and corn so the wheat mixture is a nice alternative for me. Try it sometime!
“I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success....Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything.”
Nikola Tesla
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

+1 to Big R. I also experiment a lot with red wheat nowadays. Easier to work with than rye, almost as spicey. My 60% red wheat, 40% matled barley is pretty darn good. And a strong taste at that. I even use it in my genevers.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.