Converting a non-induction boiler to induction compatible.

If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

palinkagus
Novice

Converting a non-induction boiler to induction compatible.

Post by palinkagus »

Just had a thought that I wanted to put out there for discussion. I realize that in order for a boiler, kettle or pot to be compatible with an induction heater it must be magnetic. If you had a non-magnetic vessel couldn't you add an appropriately sized disc of say 1/4" thick steel plate to the bottom and apply a heat transfer paste between the plate and the vessel?

Has anyone ever experimented with this?
buckwild1
Novice

Re: Converting a non-induction boiler to induction compatibl

Post by buckwild1 »

I've thought about this too, even read a thread where it was discussed somewhere on here
Soggy Bottom Boy
Rumrunner
Location: Somewhere to the north of the.. ..Peoples Яepublik of Kalifoяnia

Post by Soggy Bottom Boy »

At that size and energy level, I think the heat transfer gel would make quite a stink and kick out some bad-nasty components that you wouldn't want to be breathing for long periods of time. Induction puts an incredible amount of energy into a concentrated area very quickly. I would do some small scale testing before going to the trouble and expense of putting together a big plate and pot. Never the less, I think it would be better, in the long run, to just get an induction compatible pot and go forward with that.
"Well, ......I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!" ...Ulysses Everett McGill

"Good thing you found HD. It's like the mythbusters of distilling." ...Prairiepiss
Stainless
Swill Maker

Post by Stainless »

Hi, from what I can remember, induction pots don't need to be magnetic, the 'induction' is created by 'EDDY' current flow, i think its one way of separating non magnetic material from magnetic stuff,, as used in big scrapyards with crusher/scarifier machinees.
what about throwing copper off-cuts into the pot?
brain is not always with it lately, I blame all the good people here. :lol:
cheers
Stainless
ps, ithink induction can create localised 'Hotspots' in the pot ,,,leading to failure, as in a hole in your pot.
Luceo Non Uro
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Copper won't work with an induction plate.

A diffuser plate would work. I wouldn't waste time or money on heatsink grease. But it would be back to being enefficient as a regular hot plate as far as heat transfer. But would be a more steady heat. Did that make since? :wtf:

If you have an induction plate. And would like to try it. I say go for it. But if you had to buy one first. I would look at other options.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.