Can I stop and restart run?

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Purist
Site Donor
Site Donor

Can I stop and restart run?

Post by Purist »

Hi all!

I'm on my first real sour mash run (UJSSM) with roughly 7.5 gallons of pretty high test wash (10% or so)...I was able to get around 14 pints of output (excluding a pint of foreshots) and had to shut down for various reasons. My last ABV reading was around 50%. Is it worth it to fire up the run again later when I get free or should I just call it good where I'm at? It all came out very clear and some nice flavors throughout...just wondering if I should venture back in for more tails or if I'm close enough...and if it's even plausible to start, stop and restart a run.

Thanks for any advice!

Purist
F6Hawk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Can I stop and restart run?

Post by F6Hawk »

I have shut down and restarted at least twice on a single run. You have to decide if it's worth it. Sounds like you are near the end of your run. I usually get about half that out of a 5-gal run.
CuWhistle
Rumrunner

Post by CuWhistle »

If it's a stripping run then there is still some to be had so, yes. You can start it up again. If your going to be drinking it then it probably isn't worth it since you'll be pulling tails pretty soon anyhow. Some don't go beyond 50%. I personally go down to 40% but then make tails cuts which is kind of stupid when you consider it.
Purist
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Purist »

Thanks guys...I'll probably stop here...being that I'm doing a sour mash, some of those tails will make their way back into the fermenter and I think I have a nice batch to do cuts on as it stands.

Many thanks.

Purist