Cheap banana hooch

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

tropik
Novice

Cheap banana hooch

Post by tropik »

I went to bj's to get my groceries and I saw how cheap their bananas were. About 1/2 the price as the regular grocery store. $1.29lb. I also never just used bread yeast for a ferment before and they had 2lbs for less than 5 bucks! And a 25lb bag of sugar was only $10.50! I made out today!

So I took everything home gave the bananas almost a week to ripen real good. (Should have taken pics)

Here's what I did...
~5gallons of lees from a molasses rum wash(almost like hook)
~5 gallons piping hot dunder
30lbs bananas
25lbs white sugar
20 gallons water
~1/3lb of bread yeast

I threw the bananas in the lees and hit them with a mud mixer. It didn't do too well of a job so I stuck my arm in there and mashed them by hand. Poured in the sugar. Stirred it as best possible, there was still undisolved sugar. Poured in the dunder. Stirred the hell out of it. Then 20 gallons water. And I poured 1/3 lb of bread yeast on top at 85 degrees then stirred it in.
20131017_011457.jpg
That's what it looked like right after. And of course I forgot to take a SG reading. Im always so anxious to get the yeast in there and see it active. :lol:

I know there other variations of this out there and people have made similar washes but I figured I would share my experiences with it.
tropik
Novice

Re: Cheap banana hooch

Post by tropik »

20131017_110110.jpg
Day 2. About 10 hours after the start. This is right after stirring down the cap. I have never seen any wash so active. This thing is going nuts. Has to be the yeast (I'm used to ec1118).
midwest shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by midwest shinner »

Very nice, i made a banana rum recently but the jury is still out on the flavor, maybe too much banana and not enough molasses, who knows. But where i work bananas are $.19 each which works out to about $.47/lb. Or free if i wait til a bunch are spoiled off... keep us posted on how it turns out
There's whisky in the jar
tropik
Novice

Post by tropik »

Damn that's cheap! I ment to say their bananas were 1.29 for 3lbs...oops.
tropik
Novice

Post by tropik »

Day 3...the airlock has slowed down a little but the ferment is still VERY active.

Before stirring down the cap.
20131018_140819.jpg

After stirring.
20131018_140926.jpg
Smells delicious!!! :lol:
tropik
Novice

Post by tropik »

20131021_130252.jpg
Day 5 after stirring. Some banana stuff seemsmto have settled. The airlock has almost completely stopped. Im going to give it a couple of days then skim the top off. Then I'll let it clear for about a week.
tropik
Novice

Post by tropik »

Checked it on day 7. There was a film forming on the top, wasn't sure if it was stuff from the bananas or bacterial. So I siphoned everything out and started running. 2 stripping runs from ~55%-20%. Yeilded about 2.5gal each. Combined everything back into the still with a gallon of the wash and running it as I type. Started at ~82%.
Richard7
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Richard7 »

tropik, Did you give it a taste raw and white?
"yeah? yeah? the maple flavored kind?" A dog on you tube.
tropik
Novice

Post by tropik »

Gave it a little sip. The banana was present but not anything great. I have 2 quarts on oak and half a vanilla bean each. And 7 quarts with a cut up banana per jar. Everything was watered down to 100 proof before putting in the jars. Going the give it about a week and maybe add a little sugar to taste.
frozenthunderbolt
Distiller

Post by frozenthunderbolt »

tropik wrote:Gave it a little sip. The banana was present but not anything great. I have 2 quarts on oak and half a vanilla bean each. And 7 quarts with a cut up banana per jar. Everything was watered down to 100 proof before putting in the jars. Going the give it about a week and maybe add a little sugar to taste.
THAT is the key to a good banana experience - banana hooch is nothing except an inebriant without a little sugar to make it shine! :thumbup:
Where has all the rum gone? . . .

Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
tropik
Novice

Post by tropik »

1383227185016.jpg
not the most beautiful color haha
tropik
Novice

Post by tropik »

Just tasted it. I little bitter. Watered 2 cups down to 80 proof. Added turbinado sugar to one cup and white sugar to the other and chilled both. The turbinado has better color and a better taste to me. The woman likes the white sugar batch better.

Tastes good and smooth but doesn't have the body that I'm used to from rum. Maybe I should have single run it...I'll give the 2 jars on oak some time and taste them. Maybe the oak will give the vibrance I'm looking for.
zachary32
Novice

Post by zachary32 »

I will never taste this kind of hooch.. The making of it just make me sick..
tropik
Novice

Post by tropik »

It doesn't make you hungry?? Haha. It wasn't a rotten smell or anything, the bananas were just breaking down. Just had some that has been sitting on oak. It has mellowed out a little. Needs more time.
stillerD
Novice

Post by stillerD »

BJ's is where I get my sugar. They used to stock blueberry juice I would make wine with.. but no more.

Banana mash sounds great. That's what they make liquor with in Africa.
Fleischmann's Yeast. We rise. Everybody shines.