Uncle Remus' Briar Patch Gin

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Rocky_Creek
Rumrunner

Post by Rocky_Creek »

How would this work?

Take a gallon of 95% soak the ingredients for an extended period. Add the gallon to 10 gallons of 55% and run through reflux still.

My other option is to make 95%, Dilute and run through a column I have that is suited for a basket to sit at the top (no reflux). Second option probably more authentic also more work and waste.
You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, and them's pretty good odds.
Samogon
Novice

Post by Samogon »

possum wrote:3 common ways for gin...

1) Macereate and distillwith the botanicals in the boiler
2) Gin basket with botanicals that are exposed to alcohol steam
3) Flavorless spirit infused with extracts

In the US all 3 can be labeled as gin
I have only used method number 1 so far, but have dilluted the flavor with clean spirit to get the flavor milder, so it is a combo of 1 and 3.
I like the basket idea, and will try it when my base alcohol supplies are increased.
House Spirits (makers of Aviation Gin) in Oregon does method #1, except they take the botanicals out before running it. They claimed they were the only ones they knew of to do this and that is lightened the flavor a bit, as the botanicals were never heated.
Aidas
Rumrunner

Post by Aidas »

I'm thinking about making some gin via the distill + macerate + distill (with the botanicals IN the boiler) method. However, I am concerned about residual smell staying in the boiler or in the swan neck. I am using an all copper alembic setup.

Anyone have any experience with this? Does the smell of the botanicals remain, or is a simple rinse enough to clean out the still? Or, does one need to REALLY clean out the boiler, the neck and the coil to make sure that the next whiskey run doesn't come out as gin-iskey? Or, does the smell continue despite heavy duty cleaning?

Thanks,

Aidas
Nisi te iuvat cibus, plus bibe vini!
mtnwalker2
Swill Maker

Post by mtnwalker2 »

Pintoshine claims soaking it overnight in a solution of arm and Hammer laundry soda will remove all the organics.
> "You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a
>habit" Aristotle
Uncle Remus
Trainee

Post by Uncle Remus »

Aidas wrote:I'm thinking about making some gin via the distill + macerate + distill (with the botanicals IN the boiler) method. However, I am concerned about residual smell staying in the boiler or in the swan neck. I am using an all copper alembic setup.

Anyone have any experience with this? Does the smell of the botanicals remain, or is a simple rinse enough to clean out the still? Or, does one need to REALLY clean out the boiler, the neck and the coil to make sure that the next whiskey run doesn't come out as gin-iskey? Or, does the smell continue despite heavy duty cleaning?

Thanks,

Aidas
I tried this method, (see thread, a gin experiment). It turned out well but does need a little more juniper flavor. The other botanicals flavor came through nicely.

To answer your question, no it doesn't seem any worse than anything else, I rinsed the boiler (beer keg) out with a garden hose. I poured boiling water through all the copper apparatus and it smells good and clean to me.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer.
Aidas
Rumrunner

Post by Aidas »

Yeah, I read the other thread, but you never came back to it to report on how you got more (if you did) more juniper flavor (rather than just aroma) into it.

In any case, thanks for calming me regarding the remaining smell. I'll definitely try making gin -- I do like the occasional martini, and it would be wonderful to have it be my gin. :)

Aidas
Nisi te iuvat cibus, plus bibe vini!
Uncle Remus
Trainee

Post by Uncle Remus »

Actually no I haven't tossed more juniper in the bottles. I must of thrown out any that I had left. I need to get my ass out and pick another hand full of berries to throw in. I'm actually sipping a gin and tonic right now, it's certainly a very flavor full gin, a little more juniper flavor and I think it will be close to perfect.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer.
stillsmokin
Novice

gin ideas

Post by stillsmokin »

Anyone ever macerate on stripped wash? I wanted a method for use in more common setups. (pot stills and reflux stills)

I thought it might work to strip a couple of washes and soak botanicals in that for a bit and then strain and run again in a pot or reflux still. Seems more efficient on fuel, but might have trouble getting flavor through.

Maybe a combo, -hang a basket in the vapor trail on the spirit run for more flavor.
A1 to Portland on #19
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

Sorry but, gotta ask...looks beutifull, what about the brass? do you clean it in vinigar before/after use or is it not a real issue?
violentblue
Rumrunner

Re: Uncle Remus' Briar Patch Gin

Post by violentblue »

I have about 1 1/2 gallonsof 60% Neutral and was thinking of making Gin. Usually I'm a Rum man, but I do enjoy a gin and tonic on occasion,
I'd like to do it without the gin bulb Can I Just Maserate the ingredients in the Neutral then run it.or do I need to alter the recipie? also what ABV % Should I dilute it to?
I Could always Just Stick the botanicals into my thumper andrun it that way, but I'd rather run it without the thumper.

Thanks.
violentblue
Rumrunner

Post by violentblue »

got a batch on now

3/4 cup dried juniper berries
1/4 cup corriander
1/4 cup dried orange peel
1/8 cup cinnamon (might be a bit much but we'll see)
1/8 cup anise seed (powdered)

ground together into a powder and mixed with about 1 liter (1/4 gallon) of water
add to 4 liters (1 gallon) of 60% neutral
topped of with about 1 more liter of water

its all sitting in my stovetop potstill slowly coming up to temp.

I understand that this method isnt as efficient as a gin bulb, so thus the reason I'm using more.

we'll see how it turns out, It'll need to be watered down to 40% when done and I can always add more neutral if the flavor is too strong, but if the flavor is too weak theres not much I could do.
I'll let you know how it goes.
violentblue
Rumrunner

Post by violentblue »

filled my boiler up a bit too much and started puking. so I quick switched in my thumper (empty) and cleaned the worm, coming off nicely now. may be a bit strong, but thats easy to fix.

Mybe I'll start my own thread.
perks
Novice

Post by perks »

I am curious as to why you would run the distillate over the mixin's and not just let them soak for a while in a jug. I have been making a variety of liqueres lately and am quite happy with just letting the fruit soak in my 50% juice and then straining everything off. I usually soak it twice and then a third time in water to get back the vodka that gets trapped in the fruit. This I just run through my stipping still and add to the next batch of shine going through the reflux still.
peter
bagmanhd1
Novice

Making Gin with a pot still??

Post by bagmanhd1 »

I'm using a simple 10 gallon pot still which yields about 1 gallon of 130 proof spirit. Can anyone suggest a botanical load for a batch that size and how to do it? I was at my local homebrew store last weekend and purchased a tight wire mesh "ball" that I was thinking of loading with botanicals and simple floating in the finished spirit.
bcboyz86
Swill Maker

Post by bcboyz86 »

Should the gin just flow through the stuff in the basket, or would it benifit from being filled up and drained off? Or filled up, then a constant drip out based on the drip coming in( not getting more full, but not emptying)
..the smarter you get, the more you realize you don't know...
juniperlover
Novice

Post by juniperlover »

Bit of an old thread, so this is a longshot, but I'm wondering about the possibility of hooking up a rig like this onto my lyne arm right before my liebig connects (I'm using a pot still). Think that would produce viable results?
WV Shine
Swill Maker

Post by WV Shine »

Should work Juniper. You may want to do a little more research before you jump into the build though. There's another thread that discusses all the different ways to do this somewhere on here...

Basically you can either:

1. Macerate (steep, soak, etc.) the herbs in distilled product.
2. Macerate herbs in product and then distil it again.
3. Run hot, liquid distillate over a basket of herbs as Remus has done. (fairly similar to option #1 IMHO)
4. Run your vapor over the herb basket and then condense it afterwords. (Vapor Infusion)

Each method has its merits, in terms of simplicity, cost of equipment, flavor profile, etc... I have read that the flavors can be quite different when the vapor infusion method is used. Not necessarily the best method, just different. Some people have macerated a portion of the herbs, and vapor infused others depending on which flavors they want to pull from each botanical. Search around and you'll find some more info on the different methods... I believe Odin has a wealth of knowledge on this subject. So much experimentation to do... Find out what works best for you ;)
WV Shine
Swill Maker

Post by WV Shine »

For full disclosure, I should also state that I don't have direct experience with gin making yet, but I'm making a vapor infusion rig myself ;) Actually, I've been half way through the process for months now lol. IIRC, with vapor infusion you could pull more delicate notes out of the botanicals and avoid some of the more astringent notes of some herbs when done via maceration...
juniperlover
Novice

Post by juniperlover »

Thanks WV, all my experience is really based in cold compounding and maceration, so I figured I'd check into some other methods. Thanks for the feedback!
poormechanic

Post by poormechanic »

juniperlover wrote:Thanks WV, all my experience is really based in cold compounding and maceration, so I figured I'd check into some other methods. Thanks for the feedback!

I vapor infuse mine by droping a SS tea ball into my CM. If I want more flavor I reflux it a little, Its the best gin that I have had so far.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

If you want to vapour infuse, do it as early in the vapour path as possible. For maximum taste concentration. A "basket" of any kind just above your liebig will not get you over max. taste. And it may create particle contamination in your end product: small herbs particles colouring up your drink, and adding and adding taste when you don't need it.

In a bag under the column or in the lowest part of the column would be perfect.

Or if you can without scorching: add everything to the boiler, macerate for 12 to 24 hours, then take out the fruit skins and distill with everything else inside.

For the best & most complex flavours.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
poormechanic

Post by poormechanic »

Odin wrote:If you want to vapour infuse, do it as early in the vapour path as possible. For maximum taste concentration. A "basket" of any kind just above your liebig will not get you over max. taste. And it may create particle contamination in your end product: small herbs particles colouring up your drink, and adding and adding taste when you don't need it.

Or if you can without scorching: add everything to the boiler, macerate for 12 to 24 hours, then take out the fruit skins and distill with everything else inside.

Odin.
35 post so I must not know what Im doing, thats fine Ill play. How would you like me to send you my tastless inferior product so that you can tell me how to correct it?!
Candleworks
Novice

Post by Candleworks »

How about using your thumper as a container for your botanicals.

What I was thinking is put no liquid in my thumper, just the botanicals and let the vapor pass through it/ condense on it and then evaporate again as the temp rise.

Any feedback?
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

poormechanic wrote:
Odin wrote:If you want to vapour infuse, do it as early in the vapour path as possible. For maximum taste concentration. A "basket" of any kind just above your liebig will not get you over max. taste. And it may create particle contamination in your end product: small herbs particles colouring up your drink, and adding and adding taste when you don't need it.

Odin.
35 post so I must not know what Im doing, thats fine Ill play. How would you like me to send you my tastless inferior product so that you can tell me how to correct it?!
Wow nice attitude. He didn't say anything about you not knowing anything. All hr did was give you and others some good tips. From his own experiences. And if you knew anything about Odin. You would understand why.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
poormechanic

Post by poormechanic »

Prairiepiss wrote:
poormechanic wrote:

Odin.

Wow nice attitude. He didn't say anything about you not knowing anything. All hr did was give you and others some good tips. From his own experiences. And if you knew anything about Odin. You would understand why.
I know guys, Im sorry. Sorry Odin I took that and made it personal I apologize. Odin you are a wealth of information and a nice guy I sould have taken the advice and kept my fat mouth shut.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

No problemo! And please do not keep that mouth shut! I didn't. Never with the intention to disqualify your method. Always with the intention to share my experience so others can use it or not. No hard feelings, right?

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
poormechanic

Post by poormechanic »

Thank You, and there is no hard feelings.

Ok on to the subject at hand. Do you think that putting it in a thumper would be better than steeping the botanicals in the wash? I sure like the vapor thing it seems to give a cleaner taste. Though, there is a possability that I have $5.00 taste buds.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

I personally favour putting everything in the boiler. Gets over most taste and most complex taste. But if you like vapour infusion ... go with that.

Apart from technicality, we can look at it this way: the lower / earlier the herbs are introduced, the more they get concentrated as the alcohol gets concentrated too

That's why in the boiler or in the lower part of the column will give you more taste. Part technological approach (how much oils leach out via what extraction intermediate: vapour (less) or liquid (more)), part concentration: if you add gin herbs at the top, where alcohol abv is maybe already 90%, not much taste concentration takes place. In fact, diluting it to 45% means you water it down 2:1.

On the other hand, if you introduce it in the boiler, it takes the alcohol concentration cycle even a simple pot distillation gives you. Let alone when you use a flute where you get 4 or 5 re-destillations. Now, with herbs in the boiler or just above the boiler, the herb tastes get concentrated as does the alcohol.

Hopes this makes sense.

Odin.
poormechanic

Post by poormechanic »

Makes sence. Ill give that liquid method another try. Nothing to lose and all to gain.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Just take out the fruit skins prior to starting the boil and you will be fine.

Only complaint I sometimes get is that the final distilate is cloudy. But that's not a failure. It is a measure of success. It means that you got maximum taste transfer. Means you can now start adding whiskey, neutral, the same as what you used to make the gin from ... to cut. Great way to control taste levels.

On using a thumper: it is a convenient place to put herbs, but since the alcohol will already be distilled once ... you won't get maximum taste over. Now, I am not saying that's bad. If it is good for you, do it!

Odin.