Gerber

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

TXMike06
Novice

Re: Gerber

Post by TXMike06 »

Home much lime juice would you recommend per pound of sugar for future reference? I read a thread where you talked about the 1:1 ratio and I thought I did it right but I guess not. Oh we'll trial and error.

I'm fermenting in a 2.5 gallon bucket and its only got a gallon in it so hopefully I've got enoug head room. When I put the mixed baking soda and water in should it still foam quite a bit? Should I mix any more sugar or yeast in?

I keep my AC in the house around 77 degrees and the fermenter stays in a closet and the thermometer on the bucket says about 75. Could the temperature be a factor as well?

Thanks.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

As for the lime juice, or whatever... There are two uses for acids like lemon juice, lime juice, citric acid, tartaric acid, etc... Use in inverting sugar is the main one I use them for because my waters pH is never too high... And, as I just eluded to, dropping the pH is the other purpose for using it... I have posted previously how much of each source of acid it takes to invert a pound of sugar but will repost here rather than go searching, because I already have that information up on another browser tab... How much it takes of each to drop pH is not an exact science and should be done in small incremental amounts...
Inverting Granular Sugar

Inverted sugar is created by combining a sugar syrup with a small amount of acid (such as cream of tartar or lemon juice) and heating. This inverts, or breaks down, the sucrose into its two components, glucose and fructose, thereby reducing the size of the sugar crystals.
Method #1 - 1:1 Ratio

Bring eight pints (16 cups) of water to a boil.
Add eight pounds (16 cups) of granulated sugar and stir the mixture to completely dissolve all of the sugar.
Once dissolved cream of tarter is added to the mixture. One teaspoon to one gallon of syrup is sufficient to invert the sugar in the syrup.
When using eight pints of water and eight pounds of sugar you need to add one and a half teaspoons of cream of tarter because you will end up with a gallon and a half of syrup.
It is important that you boil the mixture for twenty minutes to invert as much as the sucrose as possible. Be sure to stir the mixture a lot and don't let it sit or it will carmalize in the bottom of the pot.

Method #2 - 2:1 Ratio

Invert sugar is made by mixing two parts sugar to one part water, adding two teaspoons lemon juice per pound of sugar. This is brought almost to a boil and then reduced to a vigorous simmer for about 30 minutes (do NOT allow to boil).

For 1 pound invert sugar:

2 cups finely granulated sugar
1 cup water
2 tsp lemon juice

Expand the recipe above to make the amount required by a particular recipe. For example, to make 2-1/2 pounds of invert sugar, use 5 cups sugar, 2-1/2 cups water and 5 tsp lemon juice. Make the invert sugar at least 2 hours ahead of time (to give it sufficient time to cool).
Method #3 - 4:1 Ratio

Dissolve 8 lbs (16 cups) of sugar in 2 pints (4 cups) of water with 1/2 tsp of citric or tartaric acid.
Bring to a boil and stir for 30 minutes.
Add water to make up to 1 gallon batch.
With this recipe, there is approx. 1 lb of sugar in each pint. Use 1-1/4 pints for each lb of Table Sugar called for in a recipe.

Sugar Syrup

Sugar syrup can be made in various densities:

Thin: 3 parts water to 1 part sugar
Medium: 2 parts water to 1 part sugar
Heavy: 1 part water to 1 part sugar

Generic Proportions Per pound of sugar (2 cups)

1/8 teaspoon citric or tartaric acid
2 teaspoons lemon juice
3/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 tablespoon white vinegar

Inverting sugar - From WikiPedia

Inverted sugar syrup can be easily made by adding roughly one gram of citric acid or ascorbic acid per kilogram of sugar. Cream of tartar (one gram per kilogram) or fresh lemon juice (10 millilitres per kilogram) may also be used.

The mixture is boiled for 20 minutes, and will convert enough of the sucrose to effectively prevent crystallization, without giving a noticeably sour taste. Invert sugar syrup may also be produced without the use of acids or enzymes by thermal means alone: two parts granulated sucrose and one part water simmered for five to seven minutes will convert a modest portion to invert sugar.

All inverted sugar syrups are created from hydrolysing sucrose to glucose (dextrose) and fructose by heating a sucrose solution, then relying on time alone, with the catalytic properties of an acid or enzymes used to speed the reaction. Commercially prepared acid catalysed solutions are neutralised when the desired level of inversion is reached.

All constituent sugars (sucrose, glucose and fructose) support fermentation, so invert sugar solutions may be fermented as readily as sucrose solutions.
TDS
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TDS »

I found Beech Nut baby cereal (USA), the ingredients and vitamins are pretty much the same,
running a 6 gallon wash now with it. Put that and a Gerber Barley 6 gallon down on the same day,
I can tell the difference there but I plan to run them in the same boiler,
God willing and the creek don't rise.
:twisted:
Attachments
20130924_201851 (500x375).jpg
20130924_201904 (500x375).jpg
"You know, you can just buy that stuff right up the road" he said.
I just smiled, and said quietly, "No you can't".
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

TDS wrote:I found Beech Nut baby cereal (USA), the ingredients and vitamins are pretty much the same, running a 6 gallon wash now with it. Put that and a Gerber Barley 6 gallon down on the same day, I can tell the difference there but I plan to run them in the same boiler, God willing and the creek don't rise.
All of the Beech Nut and Gerber brands, at least the old ones, will work just fine... They all have essentially the same amounts of nutrition due to fortification...
TDS
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TDS »

I also was able to compare the new Gerber formula (with "vitablocks") to the old...
They are pretty much the same in the crucial area of B vitamins.

Going by the % daily value for 0-1 yr olds, by serving size,
the differences in the new formula are as follows:

Potassium, reduced from 50mg to 45mg
Total carbs, increased from 11g to 12g
Dietary fiber reduced from 1g to 0g
Sugar reduced from 2g to 1g
Protein reduced from 7g to 3g
Vitamin C increased from 0% to 25%
Calcium increased from 15% to 20%
Vitamin E increased from 15% to 25%
Phosphorous reduced from 15% to 6%

All else is the exact same.
:twisted:
Attachments
20130924_184016 (500x375).jpg
"You know, you can just buy that stuff right up the road" he said.
I just smiled, and said quietly, "No you can't".
stony183
Novice

Post by stony183 »

Rad,

New to site! I have a question regarding your wash recipe. I followed it to the T, its been 5 full days of ferment and my airlock is still bubbling once every 5 seconds. I was not able to do an SG reading at time of start, I just did one on 5th day and it says 1.020 I tasted it and its still a little sweet. How much longer should this take to finish you think? My hydrometer i just bought was reading at 5% on orange line and today is reading 3% on orange line. IS THIS GOOD? Thanks...
Last edited by stony183 on Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

stony183 wrote:Rad,

New to site! I have a question regarding your wash recipe. I followed it to the T, its been 5 full days of ferment and my airlock is still bubbling once every 5 seconds. I was not able to do an SG reading at time of start, I just did one on 5th day and it says 1.020 I tasted it and its still a little sweet. How much longer should this take to finish you think? Thanks...
Let it ferment until the SG gets under 1.000 and the bubbling has stopped... Then let it clear for a couple of days before racking into a secondary storage vessel or your boiler... All ferments are handled pretty much the same... Gerber should always finish well below 1.000 unless something is negatively influencing the fermentation process, like low temperature or pH...
stony183
Novice

Post by stony183 »

OK i gotcha I just graduated from homade pressure still that i used for awhile to the Mile Hi mighty Mini 3 gallon. I just got yesterday with the hydrometer. I am still reading on hydrometers and you have made it a bit more clear. So, when I get below 1.000 and bubbling stops should i transfer to my 8 gallon ferment bucket to clear? Should I shake it a bit? My garage is about 65* should that be cool enough? Or should I clear with this 2 stage turbo clearing agent i bought? Thanks for the advice!!!!
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

stony183 wrote:OK i gotcha I just graduated from homade pressure still that i used for awhile to the Mile Hi mighty Mini 3 gallon. I just got yesterday with the hydrometer. I am still reading on hydrometers and you have made it a bit more clear. So, when I get below 1.000 and bubbling stops should i transfer to my 8 gallon ferment bucket to clear? Should I shake it a bit? My garage is about 65* should that be cool enough? Or should I clear with this 2 stage turbo clearing agent i bought? Thanks for the advice!!!!
A good wash recipe using good yeast should not require a clearing agent... You want to rack (siphon) the wash so all you get is liquid and no trub or yeast from the bottom of the fermenter... These steps are part of the basic theories and fundamentals the should should already have a handle on before attempting practical application so if this all sounds new to you it is a sign that you need to do some more research... Everything fermented uses these same basics, whether beer, wine, or the washes we use in distilling...
stony183
Novice

Post by stony183 »

No I got what you are saying, I KNOW the distilling part inside and out, I just sometimes have issues with temps and whatnot on the wash side of things... I used RedStar instant dry yeast. It is the quick rise yeast. I am not sure this was a good choice or not? I really appreciate your help Rad, I have been quite the amount of research, but just trying to get the right info on ferments as I have not been able to get a really easy but good wash down.
Granny
Novice

Post by Granny »

Thanks Rad, I'm going to try a 4L small wash to see how it is. I've been using Turbos and am anxious to try this. I'm inverting the 3.5 cups of sugar now, but could not get it to dissolve in equal parts water. I ended up using 3L. Maybe I should have heated the water first? Or a simple internet search. LOL. I was worried about not having enough water and introducing a burnt flavour. Anyway, like others, they did not have Gerber Barley and I wasn't sure if I could use Rice or some other, so I bought a comparable product made by Heinz. Now, after more reading, I know it doesn't matter, but I was already at the store. I'm using Fleischmann's Traditional Active Dry Yeast. I'll post back in a week or so. I'm not changing anything. Just following your basic recipe. Very Excited!
A Beast with the Sugar and Yeast! well...maybe some day.
Granny
Novice

Post by Granny »

Well, it's bubbling away! Started up quick. Since this is supposed to be a Turbo Killer, I will stir it everday the same way I do with Turbo. I'm really excited. Looks beautiful like the pic Rad posted comparing two different kinds. Only smaller. 4L carboy.
Attachments
Rad's Gerber Recipe.jpg
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Granny wrote:Well, it's bubbling away! Started up quick. Since this is supposed to be a Turbo Killer, I will stir it everday the same way I do with Turbo. I'm really excited. Looks beautiful like the pic Rad posted comparing two different kinds. Only smaller. 4L carboy.
There is no need to stir your wash once it starts... In fact doing so can be counterproductive because it can cause the yeast colony to revert back from the anaerobic (fermentation) to the aerobic (multiplying) phase... Not to mention potential infection... Just sit on your hands and watch it work its magic... :thumbup:
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

rad14701 wrote:.. Just sit on your hands and watch it work its magic... :thumbup:
Wise words them, and where I see most people go wrong here. Once you pitch, make yourself a pact to not touch it for 7 days!
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
Granny
Novice

Post by Granny »

Thanks Rad. Yeah, I think I wrecked it. First stir it foamed up and I lost a bit of liquid. It never bubbled the same after that. I thought I killed it. Bubbling went from once a second to once every two minutes. Would adding more yeast revive it?
Granny
Novice

Post by Granny »

Well, I ran it through anyway, just to see. It was only in the jug for 4 full days and I messed it up by stirring it, but it came out AMAZING!!! Can't wait to see how much better it is when I do it again without stirring. I use a toy pot still (air still). I discarded the first 50mL and kept the next 700mL. I constantly tested it with my alcoholmeter and it was 41% at the 700mL mark so I stopped. I really thought it smelled bad, but did half a shot and was blown away by how good it is! I could see myself drinking this stuff straight. Thank you Rad! I am converted.
swampdog 2
Swill Maker

Post by swampdog 2 »

at grocery store today looking around thought about the gerber recipe seems like every where I go now I look around to see what I can make likker out of anyway didn't have barley but found some multi grain it has whole grain wheat flour whole grain oat flour out flour whole grain rice flour pearled barley flour all kinds of vitamins B , B12 ALL KINDS OF STUFF GERBER MULTI GRAIN CERIAL with essential nutrition think this might work :?: :D met a guy tending bee hives the other day got to shooting the breeze with him broke out some sweetfeed likker we had a drink found a new sugar source he gets it by the ton amazing what sharing do :D
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

I was perusing the markdowns at the market yesterday. And what did I find. 3 boxes of Gerber rice cereal. For $0.39 each. It looks like I will be making some rice Gerber vodka.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

giving this one a try

8lbs of white sugar
4 cups of gerber oat meal cereal
20 gallons of water
2 pinches of Epsom salt
1/4 cup of DAP
1/2 cup of bakers yeast

SG 1.072

ill see how it goes. the wash tasted great. lol like sugary cereal . I look forward to the results.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Please tell me that 1/4 cup of DAP was a typo? That is way to much. And I see blue distillate in your future. If that measurement is true.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Prairiepiss wrote:Please tell me that 1/4 cup of DAP was a typo? That is way to much. And I see blue distillate in your future. If that measurement is true.
+1

Recommended dosage is 1/2 teaspoon per 5 gallons or 1/2 - 3/4 gram per gallon... You don't need that much additional nutrients because that's what the Gerber is for... More isn't always better...
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

Prairiepiss wrote:Please tell me that 1/4 cup of DAP was a typo? That is way to much. And I see blue distillate in your future. If that measurement is true.

honestly Ive used that much in all my 20+ runs, with great results. never had blue distillate! im still new at and I do believe that it probably is a lot but I have slowly been decreasing and the amount of DAP and trying to simplify things. with the reasoning that"less is more" next time ill cut it in half and see if I getting the same or better results. ill im still learning what works best.

but update. this was for a 5 gallon wash.

left to go watch the game at the bar. came home topped the ferment bucket, threw in the S airlock. 5 seconds later the air lock is firing away like a machine gun. spitting water out the top! the ferment is going real good. im interested to see how long it takes to ferment out
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Your lucky. And its a complete wast as Rad pointed out.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

Prairiepiss wrote:Your lucky. And its a complete wast as Rad pointed out.

ill take your advice. ive got an empty bucket that needs to be filled so ill give it ago with using 1/2 teaspoon. and see how it goes :thumbup:
ibfestus
Site Donor
Site Donor

A question?

Post by ibfestus »

I haven't made a spirit run in almost 2 years but Last week I finished the last of my "oaked" Gerbers (yes, some of it had been on med. roast French oak for over 2 years.) I swear it was at least as good as the premium whiskeys selling for $30+ per 750ML.

Today I started 6 gallons of Gerber wash. I used 2 four gallon food grade plastic buckets, free from a local bakery. They are well made with seals. I used a drill to make a hole for the air lock and sealed it with candle wax. After inverting the sugar I put 1/2 a box of Gerber barley in each bucket and agitated it with a mixer for 20 minutes. By the time It had cooled below 95F, it had already started to bubble even before I pitched the yeast. I put 2 TBSP of Red Star bakers yeast in each bucket. Rad's recipe calls for 3X that much.

The question is why so much yeast? (Sorry if this has been discussed previously.)
stony183
Novice

Post by stony183 »

Ive got to say RAD, I LOVE this recipe... Im running a 3 gallon in reflux and i get 1200 ml of good clean 180* Thank you so much for all of your insight!!! To comment on NIK, yes i added some aok coals to it and let sit for about 2-4 weeks it turned color to like a dark red looking spirit and it tastes great!
marshrunner757
Swill Maker

Post by marshrunner757 »

Could DAP be used in place of 20-20-20?
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

marshrunner757 wrote:Could DAP be used in place of 20-20-20?
Sure... :thumbup:
nomad4749
Novice

Post by nomad4749 »

I've made a gerber wash and having an issue. I made it with:

25 liters water
24 cups sugar
6 cups cereal
12 tbs yeast

followed the original recipe with an SG 1.080 and ended with 1.000 . I used tap water with a ph of 8. Is this the reason I can't get to an SG of .0980 ?
WalkingWolf
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by WalkingWolf »

Don't sweat it brother -- it's fine just run it. The tools we have at our disposal cannot accurately measure that small of a difference anyway.