Thai Terror

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

kiwistiller
retired

Re: Thai Terror

Post by kiwistiller »

I'll go home and have one with tonic then report back :)
Three sheets to the wind!
My stuff
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

Cough..cough....cough..girls...Cough ..cough
kiwistiller
retired

Post by kiwistiller »

It's weird, I poured myself a terror tonic, and almost spat it out. Super bitter. Then I squeezed in half a lime, and it bacame marginally drinkable. then a funny thing happened, by the bottom of the glass I kinda liked it :lol:
My stuff
eternalfrost
Trainee

Post by eternalfrost »

i like it straight up.

but it goes down wayyyy better if you have it with a meal. especially something that compliments citrusy spicy flavors. i especially like it with BBQ or curry dishes.
drinking it alone like scotch is like trying to eat steak sauce without the meat.

it is good mixed in a bloody mary though :twisted:

i made up another batch which i aged a few months. it definitely benefited. i really enjoy the sort of roller coaster of flavors. first the tangy/sour lemon juice then the bitter spicyness of ginger then the hot afterglow of the habanero.
Centimeter
Swill Maker

Post by Centimeter »

Cough..cough....cough..girls...Cough ..cough
Yeah yeah...

Don't get me wrong, I love the stuff straight. Furthermore, I have yet to meet anyone who can take spice better than I can. However, on the last batch I added three habaneros and eight thai chili peppers to one liter. It's not a matter of not being able to handle the spice, it's more of an issue with stomach ulcers and hickups. Plus I think you get more of the spice when you drink it slowly with some club soda anyway.

Club soda would be the best to drink it with. Tonic wouldn't match the flavors as well. Be careful drinking it right after you pore the soda though because it'll make you sneeze something fierce when it's still fizzing.

Punkin, in my humble opinion, this be the best recipe on this forum thus far that I've come across. I can't seem to keep the stuff around for more than a week. My friends would drink it by the gallon if I would let them. Also, my own two cents, use juice and zest from five limes per liter and don't dilute it with a second masceration. It's beautiful as is.
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

Thank you centimeter, that is a very fine compliment.

We generally drink it as shots round here... :lol:

RealStomachWarmersPunkin :mrgreen:
kiwistiller
retired

Post by kiwistiller »

punkin wrote: RealStomachWarmersPunkin :mrgreen:
Yeah shots straight from the freezer is my pick. gotta love the fire and ice :twisted:
My stuff
rabbit_
Novice

Post by rabbit_ »

agggrrh

this is FANTASTIC.

Took it to a wild foods festival. I found one other person who loved it as much as i did. Too strong for some I think. Might try it at a 40% next time I think.
Well I go yonder mountain and build me a still, I'll send you a gallon for a five dollar bill.
Well it's beefcake when I'm hungry, Whiskey when I'm dry, it's greenbacks when I'm hard off and hell when I die
Titus-a-fishus
Swill Maker

Post by Titus-a-fishus »

Hey Punkin
Did one up last night ..... kinda mild one actually only two chillies and four limes with the ginger and some peppercorns.
Drinking it now.
Nice and warm no real bite.....
Definitely like it.

Just haven't been able to get that lovely green you got.
Mine is a nice yellow green.

TAF
We haven't got the money so now we have to think
Build it, don't buy it
sparky marky
Swill Maker

Post by sparky marky »

I made up a batch and added just about everything that goes in my Thai curry paste. Green Chilli, lime zest (no juice), lemongrass, fresh ginger, and plenty of fresh mint and fresh coriander.

The chlorophyll from the herbs really green it up! It looks almost like absinthe. Tastes good too! I wanna try drinking it with coconut noodles or thai green curry or something :D

Edit: just mixed some with lemonade and it tastes like an Asian mojito. LOVE ITTT!!!
Last edited by sparky marky on Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
hackware
Swill Maker

Post by hackware »

heh...

this stuff sounds like the cobra juice i had overseas...

if ya survive it, ya luv it...
tell me how hard it is to do... tell me how expensive it will be... just don't tell me what i can not do...

lead, follow, or get out of the way... ankle biters will be kicked...

•*´¯)¸.•*´¯)¤ª"˜¨¯¯¨˜"william..."˜¨¯¯¨˜"ª¤(¯`*•.¸(¯`*•
frozenthunderbolt
Distiller

Post by frozenthunderbolt »

Just started a batch:
1T coriander seed
1T Fresh grated root ginger
2T fresh mint
1 T dried mint
zest of 4 HUGE green limes
Juice of above plus 2 small yellow limes
6 inches chopped lemon grass
500ml STRONG chili vodka - instant hiccups and watering eyes
200ish mls of 88% vodka
Got the right greenish color already - I'll strain it tomorrow or the next day
Where has all the rum gone? . . .

Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Gilbilly
Novice

Post by Gilbilly »

I have tried this recipe twice.

First time:
Combo of vodka and ever-clear to high but tolerable proof(150-170)
The juice and zest of four average sized dark limes.
Grated ginger, a little more than a table spoon.
Two dried red Thai peppers & a smoked habanero.
a stalk of crushed lemon grass.

Macerated for 8 hrs, removed peppers & reserved booze, filled container along with remaining ingredients with more booze & macerated for another 8 hrs, mixed the two together. Was very popular. Most enjoyed it with lime and salt in the same fashion as you would drink tequila shots.

Hot, smokey, ginger/lime flavored paint thinner.

The second time I used all the same ingredients, except I added a sprig of fresh mint and only used ever-clear during one 8hr maceration. Then cut with water to a tolerable level. It tasted about the same with a strange strange odor that left after a few days. Also, the mint sprig had grown what look like crystals on the leaves and had also become brittle during the maceration. However, the mint flavor came through nicely at the end.

I couldn't get that bright green color either. Both turned out more of a yellowish tint.

Next time: Fresh Thai peppers and some coriander.
carnica
Novice

Post by carnica »

Great thread! I live in cold Scandinavia, so I have a Kaffir Lime planted in a flowerpot in the kitchen since I use its leaves in cooking. I planted a seed five years ago, and now it's two metres high and gives plenty of harvest. I also planted five different peppers: Bird's Eye, Habanero, Thai, De Arbol and Adorno, also in flowerpots that live outdoors in summer and indoors in winter. I planned to use the peppers to make a hot mustard (if you make a mustard and want to "surprise" your friends, use some honey to sweeten it - people who taste it just feel the sweetness initially. Several seconds later, their mouths will burn - and then, of course, they will reach for something to drink, and grab the glass filled with the schnapps made according to this recipe, that you have so cleverly put in front of them...)
"Good living is an act of intelligence, by which we choose things which have an agreeable taste rather than those which do not."
-Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin,
Devonhomebrew
Swill Maker

Post by Devonhomebrew »

Scotch bonits anyone hahahaha gonna have to try this when i run my birdwatchers low wines ahahaha
pt49
Novice

Post by pt49 »

I've got a 2 year old scotch bonnet plant out front... mmmmmmmm
homebrew+
Novice

Post by homebrew+ »

I just tried this with double distilled ujssm! On the second mas. it was a little mild so i put a couple more smoked dried peppers(thia chilli and jalapeno) in for 24 hour and omg its good!! How ever both jars where clear, blended them and cut with distilled water now its cloudy? taste good but do you think it will clear? Its been 24 hours now
Spokerider
Novice

Post by Spokerider »

I made a batch of Thai Terror. It tastes great! Can't wait to take some for family / friends to try / torment for the Christmas season :) .

I got the nice green color by using the greenest limes I could find. I found that I needed to add 1 more habanero pepper and more fresh ginger to balance out the lime zippiness.

I strained it 3 times through coffee filters [ PITA ] , and it's still not crystal clear. Oh well, the flavour is great and that's what matters.

Anyone try TT in a Ceaser cocktail?
Spokerider
Novice

Post by Spokerider »

Just sipping on a Ceaser cocktail now, complete with a celery salted rim.....gotta say it's the best damn ceaser I've ever had! :D
thorson
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by thorson »

So, second try, it tastes better but now extremely hot. I will have to pour some into another jar with likker....my problem is that it doesn't get that nice green color. its yellow.
First time I juiced lemons and ginger in a juicer...now I grated them. I think the yellow comes from the ginger and the lime juice. Filtered it several times an it is now a translucent yellow...

it is extremely hot cause I used two habaneros and a slice of ghost...the problem is I left them overnight and then forgot to strain it in the morning and left for work...so it macerated for like 17 hrs.

I have read how some got it yellow and then finally green, but can't get there :|
Spokerider
Novice

Post by Spokerider »

I found that it wasn't hot enough for me either, so I macerated 24 hrs and then added more ginger and habanero the next day....all in 1L.
It's great now!
thorson
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by thorson »

i haven't diluted it yet..it seems it isn't THAT hot, it seems to have gone down a bit...I'll just leave it like it is!

is yours green? have no idea what i'm doing different :s
Spokerider
Novice

Post by Spokerider »

light green.
I bought the greenest limes in the bunch, and used a zester to take only the green part of the rind, no pith. Of course, I did use the lime juice too.
BDF
Swill Maker

Post by BDF »

I don't follow this recipe to the tee, depends on what I have lying around, but the backbone flavors:

-Lime
-Hot Pepper
-Ginger

with any kind of personal touch you wish makes one of my favorite sipping drinks with real character without the need for long-term aging. I myself like to add a touch of glycerin to add a hint of sweetness and more mouthfeel.

Also, you don't really need a neutral to make this turn out well, I use corn whiskey.
Last edited by BDF on Fri May 12, 2017 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

This all sounds quite an edventurous sort of flavouring - chillis, limes, ginger, all sorts of hot stuff......

Anyone tried putting the fores back in ? :wink:
johnnyv
Novice

Post by johnnyv »

Pikey wrote:This all sounds quite an edventurous sort of flavouring - chillis, limes, ginger, all sorts of hot stuff......

Anyone tried putting the fores back in ? :wink:
I wouldn't put fores in but I would incorporate more of the five tastes.
Some of these are practically on the way to a Thai curry paste but the paste is only part of the flavour of the curry sauce.

Say for Thai green curry
Toasted coriander/cumin/black pepper corns
Coriander root(sub coriander stems)
Kaffir lime zest(sub other lime zest,kaffir lime leaves probably ok for infusion not paste)
Lemon grass stems
Galangal(sub ginger)
garlic and shallots
chili leaf <- optional source of bitter flavor not really needed with ethanol there.
green chili personally I prefer the flavor of fully ripe chili and Mexican chili over Thai.

I would omit the fermented shrimp paste in favor of fish sauce.

To turn it into a curry sauce add desiccated coconut and palm sugar

Hmmm I have everything needed to make this so I think I will do it right now!
Attachments
FlavorProfile.png
BDF
Swill Maker

Post by BDF »

What I've found I like so far:

One quart UJSSM 90 proof

#1. Six days on: (add or remove time based on taste)
-Two small dried bird's eye chilis (whole, not opened)
-One loose teaspoon dried ginger

#2. Strain

#3. Add
-Five teaspoons fresh lime juice
-Two teaspoons lemon juice
-One tablespoon lab grade glycerin

Might add more lime later, just don't have any more at the moment.

Edit: Now that I'm sipping on it, I really like the balance of the above. Wouldn't change a thing.
johnnyv
Novice

Post by johnnyv »

This is really good, I used 90% neutral for the flavor extraction then diluted to 40% with water.
When you drink it the chili comes through strong at first but aftertaste most of the other flavors come through.
My wife liked 1 part spirit to four parts coconut water with a little squeeze of lime.
With the dilution it is easier to taste the lemon grass and coriander/cumin.

I guess making this again I would put more coriander, cumin, lemon grass and dilute the neutral with coconut water rather than water.
I do like the slight fish sauce flavor but salt could easily be substituted.
Brewfiend
Bootlegger

Post by Brewfiend »

punkin wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:01 pm Thought i'd try a maceration before i went with a full wash.

Took some peach Brandy (about a litre) in the white at 65% and added;

Peel and Juice of 4 small limes from my tree (not quite ripe yet)

2 BirdsEye Chillies (seeds removed)

1 home smoked Habernero

About a tablespoon of japanese Pickled Ginger

Edit. Just added a smashed stalk of Lemongrass from the garden.

I'll give it a couplea weeks and have a taste. If it's any good i'll move onto the next step.

Any ideas or suggestions :?:

Edit.
Allow this to macerate for 3-8 hours or by taste. When it's very hot strain and reserve, then add 1 more litre to the ingredients, leave for a couple weeks.

Blend the two portions together, to taste (you may well end up just mixing them both together).

This turns out a brilliant lime green and has a fiery heat. You could play around with it and add some mint and coriander for a true thai taste.

thaiterror1.jpg

OnlyGirlsWon'tLikeItPunkin
OH nice pickled ginger. I have fresh ginger I sometimes add to gin