How Do You Crack Corn

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

razerhawg
Site Donor
Site Donor

How Do You Crack Corn

Post by razerhawg »

I have done several sugar washes and decided to move on to a corn mash. Everything calls for using cracked corn with no preservatives in it, but all of the store bought cracked corn has some type of preservative.
I bought a barley cracker from a brew house and it won't crack squat ( I am guess that as the name implies it is made to crack smaller grains? ). I bought a mill from a health food store and it makes powder. What do you use to make cracked corn?
It's all fun and games till somebody starts shooting!
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Re: How Do You Crack Corn

Post by ga flatwoods »

Cracking corn is a pita! A roller mill will not do the job nor was it intended. Most of us all buy it cracked from the feed store. Tractor Supply is available to a lot of users here as it is regularly mentioned. Do not try a meat grinder cracking vs. Cutting through a grain is a different thing altogether. Meal consistence is fine. Chicken scratch makes a good whiskey and may be a blend or just cracked corn. If it is safe for animal feed then go with it.
GA Flatwoods
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
Mr Shine
Swill Maker

Post by Mr Shine »

Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

I just buy cracked corn at the feed store . Lucky'er than many here , if I need to mill down some grain I have a hand cranked adjustable mill that's been in the family for 4 generations . It will mil from chicken scratch to fine flour if you want to crank it long enough .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
OzKev
Novice

Post by OzKev »

I do have some cracked corn from the local stock feeds ready for a whiskey, but was thinking if it was cracked a bit more I may be able to push a better efficiency from the mash. Does anyone use a MonsterMill for corn. I see on the site they refer to the setting being able to be adjusted for corn, but I was always told not to crack corn in it as it will damage the rollers?
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

I use the same grinder as Mr Shine.
A word of warning, corn mash probably isn't as easy as you think it may be.
Cracked corn is good for a sugar head such as UJSSM but for a real mash you have to grind the corn fine, and cook it to free up the starch.
Mash it just right, then figure how to get the home made corn sugar separated from the glutenous mess you have made.
Not trying to discourage you, just pointing out some unforeseen difficulties.
razerhawg
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by razerhawg »

I thought the cracked corn from say Tractor Supply had preservatives in them that would kill the yeast? And yes I am starting off with UJSM, but it needs cracked corn as well doesn't it? I have a Country Living Grain Mill, but the output from it seems pretty small and fine. Thanks for all of the advice.
Last edited by razerhawg on Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

How do you crack corn? The same way Jimmy does but I really don't care........ :ebiggrin:
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

If you don't have access to that equipment you can also cover with wax paper and use a rolling pin.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Hound Dog wrote:How do you crack corn? The same way Jimmy does but I really don't care........ :ebiggrin:
This is how this jimmy does it... :ebiggrin:

http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Quality-G ... =corn+mill" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Still a pain in the ass. Its like grinding pebbles.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
razerhawg
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by razerhawg »

Is that similar to this? I have one of these, but it cracks it into very small pieces with a lot of basically corn meal. If that size works then I am in good shape.

http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/Images ... 20200o.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

There should be an adjustment nut on the grinder wheel?

Corn meal is fine, it will convert better (if yoru making an AG) or add more flavor in a sugarhead, but youll have to stir more often as it will want to settle into a brick in the bottom of your mash or fermenting bucket
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
Ghost
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ghost »

razerhawg wrote:I thought the cracked corn from say Tractor Supply had preservatives in them that would kill the yeast? And yes I am starting off with UJSM, but it needs cracked corn as well doesn't it? I have a Country Living Grain Mill, but the output from it seems pretty small and fine. Thanks for all of the advice.

I have used their cracked corn MANY times and never had a problem with it. Matter of fact had a UJSSM go dry in about 5 days flat with it and sure enough the triple scale shows .998
Forbidden in Heaven and Useless in Hell ....
razerhawg
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by razerhawg »

Thank all of you so much for the advice. This site is full of generous people who are willing to share their experiences.