Hook Rum

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

T_Rider
Novice

Re: Hook Rum

Post by T_Rider »

This is the first time I'm trying out this Rum recipe. It's been clearing for two days now and doesn't look any different.
1. how long does this wash take to clear?
2. What should I look for to know it's cleared? Will become clear like most whiskey washes?

Thanks
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

It will clear in the sense that the majority of suspended solids will fall out of suspension.
The liquid will have more sparkle rather than a cloudy/dull appearance.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
greenthumb
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greenthumb »

Have made and run 80ltrs of gen1, and 80ltrs or gen 2 is fermenting now, so far so good!
there is a seriously strong molasses flavour to the stripped runs, but will wait until I try the spirit run before any judgements or future changes, nice one so far hook!
T_Rider
Novice

Post by T_Rider »

Thanks Lwt,

I can finally see the clearing today. I'm racking it off to separate container and going to let it settle some more till the weekend.
I plan on doing a stripping run Saturday, but I'll have to wait until March until I can get the next batch going. I'm heading out the rest of the month for some monster Bass fishing. :P
Andy Capp
Swill Maker

Post by Andy Capp »

T_Rider,
Why not get one going before you head of fishing? By the time you return it will have settled nicely and you wont have to wait for the next wash to be ready. This will also keep the dunder process rolling along without having to keep some in the fridge or freezing it. Just a suggestion that's all.
A hangover is when you open your eyes in the morning and wish you hadn't.
T_Rider
Novice

Post by T_Rider »

Hey Andy,
The only reason I wasn't going to start a new batch, is because I won't be back from fishing until the 9th of march, and I was worried about leaving it ferment for 3 weeks.

Do you think it would be ok fermenting that long? If so, maybe I'll go ahead and start it.

Thanks,
Andy Capp
Swill Maker

Post by Andy Capp »

3 weeks isn't too long with a molasses wash. I've had some go 2 weeks in winter just to finish and then left longer to clear.If it's kept under airlock it will be fine. Not sure if using an open container. I haven't tried that.
A hangover is when you open your eyes in the morning and wish you hadn't.
T_Rider
Novice

Post by T_Rider »

Thanks, in that case, I'll go ahead and start the next wash. I do keep mine under airlock.
Terminator777
Novice

Post by Terminator777 »

This is my second attempt of making a rum wash, the first time we used only "Fancy Grade Molasses", this time we bought fancy and animal food grade blackstrap. So here is my experiment;

First wash;
30 liters of softened water
4 kg of Fancy molasses
7 kg of white sugar
4 tablespoon of DAP
2 small envelope pack of Lavlin EC 1118
4 tablespoon of Crosby Distillers Yeast

I first diluted the molasses in hot water, and added only 4 kg of sugar, in 20 liters of water, thrown in the EC 1118 yeast, and placed a heated belt around the plastic bin, and covered with a blanket. After 3 days I diluted 3 kg of sugar in 8 liters of hot water and threw the distillers yeast and the the dap. Covered with an airlock and let him ferment for another 11 days. When there were no more bubbles out of the airlock, I took off the heating belt, and let it sit and cooled off for 2 days. I then, siphon everything into my 8 gallon reflux still, making sure not to siphon in the lees. And refluxed it on a 1500 watts electric plate.

It took 2 1/2 hours to finally get the first drip out of the still, the still is a 2'' column with some ceramic rachids beads. I started to get some rum at around 172 degrees, I had to play with the cooling water and the heat plate for awhile to keep it at steady rate. For some reason it took only another 2 1/2 hours to finish it. I ended up with 3 liters of 150 proof rum. To be honest I'm not really impress with the smell and taste, taste a little burn to me. It may have run to fast.

Now on my second wash, the only thing I did different is that I used 2.5 kg of blackstrap and 2 kg of fancy molasses. Everything else is the same. I haven't run it yet, thru my still. I did the 2 different mash in order to see if there is a difference in the rum by using the different types of molasses.

Any suggestions or advice on this?
T_Rider
Novice

Post by T_Rider »

Just got home a couple days early from fishing, and oh my my, the second ferment looks awesome. Good and cleared ready to run. I guess letting it sit for three weeks was no problem. :-)
googe
retired

Post by googe »

Best way to do rum in my books is let it sit, I let mine sit for that long most times, heaps nicer and I rarely get puking. Good luck with the run! Mmmm rum
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
T_Rider
Novice

Post by T_Rider »

Hey all,
So, I now have 5gal of low wines ready for the spirit run. Has anyone ever used part of the backset to dilute the low wines down to 40% for the final spirit run?

I was just thinking it might impart more flavor? Would this be a bad idea?
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

T_Rider wrote:Hey all,
So, I now have 5gal of low wines ready for the spirit run. Has anyone ever used part of the backset to dilute the low wines down to 40% for the final spirit run?

I was just thinking it might impart more flavor? Would this be a bad idea?
Yes. Can also use rum beer to dilute.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
MyUncleMo
Swill Maker

Post by MyUncleMo »

Mixing up a batch as I tyyyyyyype. (sticky fingers)
I'm using mostly Grandma's Mollasses but added a bottle of Plantation Blackstrap for what I hope will be a nice flavor profile.
Has anybody used honey in this ferment.
Other than the water, and whatever herbs I grow this summer nothing is LOCAL.
Getting setup today I found a half a bucket of last years mead base that is now crystallized (honey from Oso, WA )that I was considering.
I have read that it may slow down the brew - but I am in no hurry.
Thanks Mr. Hook (errrr captain)for this easy to follow recipe and info.
My Uncke Mo taught me how to make apple Jack when I was in 6th Grade.

Questions? Read this first...
http://ww.homedistiller.org/forum/viewt ... 15&t=52975
MyUncleMo
Swill Maker

Post by MyUncleMo »

duracell wrote:Anyone notice the late heads come off as buttery? I'm doing the cuts now and it's unmistakable. I collect in 340ml beer bottles and bottles 4 and 5 have an unmistakable buttery aroma. Stings the top back of my throat though, so no buttery taste.

It's interesting to note that on the episode of dirty jobs where they went to Thomas Tew rum distillery the main guy, when tasting their aging barrel stock, commented on how the younger stuff still tasted buttery. So maybe if you're aging it some of this is desirable. Not sure if I want to try that.
I certainly smell the butter coming off.
Would the end of the butter be the beginning of Hearts in my cuts?

Even though I have only done 2 Hook stripping runs - I have kept each of them in pint jars and went through the cuts process before dumping them all in the stripped Jugs... for practice.

I will be aging in new oak Gibbs 1 gallon. 6 months? 1 year?
My goals are mellowing out a nice medium dark rum and some for spiced.

frozenthunderbolt
Distiller

Post by frozenthunderbolt »

MyUncleMo wrote: I will be aging in new oak Gibbs 1 gallon. 6 months? 1 year?
My goals are mellowing out a nice medium dark rum and some for spiced.
One Gal barrel is small compared to the volume of product it contains, likely will have picked up enough oak after 3- 6 weeks; taste it and see.

Definitely give it another 6+ months to age in glass after you take it out of the barrel - ideally with a small bit (1x1x4inch stick say) of REALLY heavily charred oak - like almost charcoal - it will help in the longer term clean up (particularly if you started with a fairly funky rum) with out adding too much more woodiness. :thumbup:

Also, what Abv are you oaking at?
I would suggest 5 days at 75%, then 7 days at 65%, then 9 days at 55% - that should get you the full spectrum of flavors available from the oak and leave you in a good place to do some longer aging in glass.
Where has all the rum gone? . . .

Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
MyUncleMo
Swill Maker

Post by MyUncleMo »

frozenthunderbolt wrote:
One Gal barrel is small compared to the volume of product it contains, likely will have picked up enough oak after 3- 6 weeks; taste it and see.

Definitely give it another 6+ months to age in glass after you take it out of the barrel - ideally with a small bit (1x1x4inch stick say) of REALLY heavily charred oak - like almost charcoal - it will help in the longer term clean up (particularly if you started with a fairly funky rum) with out adding too much more woodiness. :thumbup:

Also, what Abv are you oaking at?
I would suggest 5 days at 75%, then 7 days at 65%, then 9 days at 55% - that should get you the full spectrum of flavors available from the oak and leave you in a good place to do some longer aging in glass.
I have not done the spirit run yet so I am not sure what ABV I will get from the potstill on a 2nd distillation.
I like the idea of extending the aging in Glass after a succession of aging at different abv's on Oak. +1

Thanks for the tips.

pt49
Novice

Post by pt49 »

I just put down a fermemter with this recipe... I used Stockfeed molasses ... bought 25kg's for $26.50 AUD.

The molasses label said it has 0.7% sulphur... is that normal, or does it sound like heavily added sulphur as preservative?
pt49
Novice

Post by pt49 »

Just realized I stuffed up on my recipe... I only have a 30 litre fermenter so halved the amount of malases and sugar, but I added the full 2 teaspoons of DAP and 150gms of yeast and juice of a lemon... total 27 litres.

Man, it is working hard, was frothing within an hour, as if I'd used turbo yeast... next morning now and it is still going crazy. At this rate it will ferment out in a few days I should think.
bluenose
Bootlegger

Post by bluenose »

I'm looking to try this recipe out and I'm looking for some feedback.

46 L (12 gal) Batch size, split into two fermenters
5 kgs fancy molasses (2.5 kgs fermentable sugar)
6 kgs of sugar (6 kgs fermentable sugar)
Target ABV 10.87%

Since I can't use a hydrometer with molasses, could someone check my math on the ABV? I got the formulas from the parent site.

(6000 + (5000 / 2)) / 46 = Sugar Content of 184.78 g/L
184.78 / 17 / 100 = 10.87%
I'm not a shiner, but I play one on TV
MyUncleMo
Swill Maker

Post by MyUncleMo »

Great recipe.
kept 500ml @64%ABV White.
just took 500ml @64%ABV out of the new 1 gallon gibbs charred barrel after a week. Nice amber color and hints of spice.
plan to take out another 500ml in a week or so and then let them all age in glass or in the cool stoneware jug we got from our favorite Potter in the Cascades.
The sweet smells are coming through in the white. There is a hint of vanilla in there too.
Thanks again for the guidance HD!

HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

A flow chart (plus notes) for my basic rum process.

Can also be adapted easily to other flavoured spirits (except gin).
Rum Production Flow Chart.pdf
(39.46 KiB) Downloaded 1448 times
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I am trying rum for the first time and torn between this recipe and Pugi's both sound good although his looks a lot cheaper to produce.

PS: Great flow chart! :thumbup:
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Nice to see you posting Hookline.

So you don't use the aged dunder in your ferments? Only use it to dilute for the secondary runs? That's interesting. Is there a reason you don't use it in your ferments?
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

bluenose wrote:I'm looking to try this recipe out and I'm looking for some feedback.

46 L (12 gal) Batch size, split into two fermenters
5 kgs fancy molasses (2.5 kgs fermentable sugar)
6 kgs of sugar (6 kgs fermentable sugar)
Target ABV 10.87%

Since I can't use a hydrometer with molasses, could someone check my math on the ABV? I got the formulas from the parent site.

(6000 + (5000 / 2)) / 46 = Sugar Content of 184.78 g/L
184.78 / 17 / 100 = 10.87%
I used the Sugar Wash calculator on the parent site and got 10.9%, due to rounding, so you're spot on if the molasses sugar content is accurate... Well, actually, I used my local copy of that calculator...
MyUncleMo
Swill Maker

Post by MyUncleMo »

Delicious!

It took a month to complete but it was a blast.

Basically started off with a bigger ferment than boiler room so I pushed ingredients forward to have enough wash for 3 full stripping runs. The second ferment I added dunder and more blackstrap and used turbinado instead of just evaporated sugar cane.

The spirit run yielded 3/4 gallon of good clean 128 proof Hook Rum.
1/2 gallon was oaked and drawn off at intervals... It is sitting in a corked stoneware jug resting.
I spiced some and kept some white.

Last night I was filtering out the latest spice batch and started tasting while my wife was cleaning up the kitchen.
She enjoyed my excitement and really liked the quality of the rum. The spice batch I just bottled is for her to take to a festival with her longtime friends this summer. It is fantastic. The cinnamon added a real nice touch. Fresh ginger also added a nice flavor.
I tasted some raw coconut and some that was dried and did not find the coconut flavor I wanted so I left it out.
Any ideas without using a store bought coconut essence?

I had that Ahhhhhhhh moment when I enjoyed the taste of the Hook White, Hook Barrel Aged, and the Hook dark spiced... no sour puss... no rapid head shaking with cheeks and lips flapping... just pure clean enjoyment at 128 proof.

That can't be said about my 80 proof applebrandy/honeyshine. Blichhhhhhhh. So I had to start tasting other brandy and realized once again that I just don't like the taste of Brandy. But my wife does... so there you have it!

I saved a bunch of dunder in the freezer and kept all my feints down to 20% on the spirit run in anticipation of another month of Hook Rum makin' sometime this summer.
The day job got real busy and I just dont have the time to see it through quite yet.

More blackstrap and better water next time. I cant really taste any off flavors or anything from the filtered tap water, but in all my reading, the better the water the better the booze. We have a maintained local public access drinking well nearby and I wonder if THAT is the secret ingredient?

Great recipe Hookline - and I appreciate everybody's experiences and input.

HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

I am trying rum for the first time and torn between this recipe and Pugi's both sound good although his looks a lot cheaper to produce.
Do both. Compare, and report back. :thumbup:
PS: Great flow chart! :thumbup:
Ta. 8)
Nice to see you posting Hookline.

:wave:
So you don't use the aged dunder in your ferments? Only use it to dilute for the secondary runs? That's interesting. Is there a reason you don't use it in your ferments?
No. Just haven't tried it yet. Mainly coz I didn't have much on the last rum runs, was building up a stock of plain dunder. Been developing up a good pit culture (I hope), and a modest stock of well matured dunder, for a while now. Will try various things with it in ferments, early next year maybe.

I did say in the notes that you can use mature dunder in the ferments, just didn't draw into the flow chart.

I recycle all my plain dunder back into the ferment, it ends up being maybe 85% dunder, topped up with water. You lose a bit as alcohol, and sediment/lees on the bottom of the fermenter.
Great recipe Hookline - and I appreciate everybody's experiences and input.
Another satisfied customer. 8)

Cheers.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

I am not a rum person. I think that the commercial shite is why. I might just have to try some. Nice chart.
MyUncleMo
Swill Maker

Post by MyUncleMo »

hooklabelv2.jpg

Asedefecio
Novice

Post by Asedefecio »

I don't really get how to use dunders...
So, you ferment and distill, and whats remaining in the still is the dunder - OK.

And then, you recycle all of the dunder back in the fermenter and add more mollases/panela/sugar?

EDIT: nevermind, I re-read it and understood.
Anyways, it says it uses 20L. So you get your dunder from the still and throw everything away but 20L?