Apple Brandy

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

S-Cackalacky
retired

Re: Apple Brandy

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Jimbo wrote:
S-Cackalacky wrote: I checked the ABV after combining the 3 quart jars and it was 45% (single run with thumper). Not as high as I would like for aging, but it already has a nice smell with distinctive apple notes coming through.
SC, my 2013 batch came out there too, 45%, and is one of my best, no problems with aging at that strength, lots of caramel and vanilla coming through.
Thanks Jimbo. I was owing it to the low ABV of the wash, but was still a little surprised at how low it was considering I used my thumper. I noticed that one of the three jars smelled a little headsy, but I'm hoping that the blending with the other two jars and the aging will eliminate most of that. I can see now why some are saying that cuts for AB can be a little tricky.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I am at a friends property 40 acres will have pictures tomorrow night when I get home.
MyUncleMo
Swill Maker

Post by MyUncleMo »

bearriver wrote:
I really wanted to check out the local "you pick farms" this year and rent a press. However life has gotten in the way of that, so it will have to wait till next year.
We had our fill of UPick this season. Today we UPicked Potatoes and Corn. Just wandering through the fields looking at all the messed up veggies laying on the ground and tons of corn still to be picked... thinking likker!!!

The Cellar-Homebrew in Shoreline rents apple grinders and juice presses!
As the season gets closer to the end many upicks sell off the 2nds in bulk - worth checking out in advance and meeting the farmers!

This year we may do an apple brandy (no sugar) after our rum refill project is over.
My Uncke Mo taught me how to make apple Jack when I was in 6th Grade.

Questions? Read this first...
http://ww.homedistiller.org/forum/viewt ... 15&t=52975
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Last week I saw an orchard on craigslist (Seattle/Tacoma) advertising that they will let people use their grinder and press for free even on your own apples. I didn't call them because I never have enough apples at once but they may still be advertising. I also told my wife last week that I wouldn't pick any more except the super sweets down the road but next to that one is a HUGE tree with tons of what I think are probably winesaps and I couldn't help myself, when I was done picking her apples I stopped at the other one and picked about 100 pounds that I now need to grind and press :roll: and that hardly put a dent in them. I'm now thinking I may go back and pick even more. I just cant help myself, I like free booze :crazy:
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

We built an Apple press and converted a grinder for just over $300 to leave out at Stuart island will have pictures and examples of how to make when I return.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

cranky wrote:Last week I saw an orchard on craigslist (Seattle/Tacoma) advertising that they will let people use their grinder and press for free even on your own apples. I didn't call them because I never have enough apples at once but they may still be advertising. I also told my wife last week that I wouldn't pick any more except the super sweets down the road but next to that one is a HUGE tree with tons of what I think are probably winesaps and I couldn't help myself, when I was done picking her apples I stopped at the other one and picked about 100 pounds that I now need to grind and press :roll: and that hardly put a dent in them. I'm now thinking I may go back and pick even more. I just cant help myself, I like free booze :crazy:
You got that right, when you find free ferment stock its hard to stop. I usually pick 1300-1500 lbs/yr. This year is terrible around here tho, constant -20 last winter zapped all the trees. Of nearly 30 trees I have access to, only 2 have apples. Might be an off year for the AB ugh
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
MyUncleMo
Swill Maker

Post by MyUncleMo »

Jimbo - Washington is having a bumper crop this year. Maybe you can get some leftovers ;)
We made pies for the past few weeks with the first 20lbs of Honeycrisp ans Tsugas we picked.
I'm going back to my local orchard to see how I can get my hands on the tree droppings! I also know a guy on Ebey Slough with Asian Pears that really doesn't keep a spiffy orchard- but has lots of fruit that he sells for Cider Making.
No sugar added - Copy THAT!

Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

:thumbup: :thumbup: Sounds excellent, scoop em up, season ends before you know it.

Sugar belongs in cookies and cherry pies, not hooch. :problem:
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
TonsOfFun
Novice

Post by TonsOfFun »

Good read folks. I have 10 gal of fresh cider that has been fermenting for about 3 weeks now that I will run throught the pot. I have about 6 co workers that have apple trees and they don't use them...ha so I got as many as I could get my hands on. All my fermenters are full at the moment so I peeled and froze about another 100 lbs of apples. For those of you who use fresh apples and don't use a press, how do you extract the juice? With the ten gallons I have now I cut the apples up, liquified them in a blender and then poured the purée in a colander linded with a piece of an old t-shirt and hand squeezed the juice. It took me about six hours to get 10 gallons...very time consuming but when making homemade AB I figured it was worth it, after all it is a labor of love. This is my first time making hard cider/AB. I know when I thaw the frozen apples most of the juice will be released from the apples but I am looking for a more efficient way to extrat the remaining juice without having to drop money on a press.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

There might be an easier way, but Jimbo has talked about using a mop bucket to wring out his AG grains. It might also work for squeezing apples. I've never priced a mop bucket, so don't know if it would be an affordable alternative.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Mop buckets are about 50 bucks. You could make a hillbilly press for free with 2 2x4's and an old door hinge at one end. Just get creative. Someone on here posted about making an apple grinder with a drill chucked paint stirrer and sharpen the mixer blades at the bottom. Thats pure brilliant. Those are 4 bucks at Menards for the large size one. Where theres a will theres a way. Necessity is the mother of invention. And all that jazz. Cheers friends. I love apples, mother natures easiest hooch maker.
TonsOfFun
Novice

Post by TonsOfFun »

Hey great ideas, thanks for the insite fellers! I will have to see what I can scrounge up at little to no cost. Cheers!
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Just thought I would post this here in case there is anybody in the western Wa or northwest Or. wants to do some apples and hasn't had their fill yet, there is a guy in Winlock Wa advertising on craigslist for animal and cider apples for $100 for 1,000 LBS bins. If I had a setup like Jimbo or Bushman I'd be all over that, but of course 1,000 LBS is way too many for me to handle quickly right now but maybe someone else here could benefit.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Used some of my Balsamic Cider Vinegar today. It's only been four months on oak, but it is superb already.
MyUncleMo
Swill Maker

Post by MyUncleMo »

My local orchard still has cider and apples left. The cider they keep frozen and not pasteurized. They sell 5 gallons for $25.

Our friends in the Cascades have a special apple tree that they make cider from. Next year we will take the still up to his property and spend a few days with our families and have a nice space to turn that tree into something he can keep in a barrel in his cellar! I'll have to read through Jimbo's Apple stuff again... and again... and...

During my visit this week,I left our friends with a 750ml bottle of the AppleHoney shine (not brandy) I made.

MyUncleMo
Swill Maker

Post by MyUncleMo »

Jimbo wrote:
yes I suppose you could make apple vodka, that'd be interesting, but its a laborious or expensive way to make a mash for vodka. 26-28 lbs of apples per bottle, why would you distill all the flavor out of it and make vodka?
Revisiting this thread AGAIN!

Giving THANKS!

This year I took my family to a UPick in Bellinham WA that had the trees full of the best Honeycrisps you could imagine... and just as many on the ground.
The owners have a distillery on site and produce apple brandy... and Honeycrisp Vodka.

They happen to have all that waste product to use for their neutral.

I am NOT a vodka drinker - or fan, but I did NOT gag on the sample. :crazy: i even bought a bottle for the wife and guests.

Just looked at the price of the fresh Cider at the local orchard and it is not $25 - it's $38 for 5 gallons of delicious pressed cider.
Hmmmm. Maybe a small single 5 gallon sample run is in order?

Thank you Jimbo and HD for the info and inspiration!!!

OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Hi. Working on my first Apple Brandy and looking for advice on the distillation process using my fractioning still.

I am partnering with a local cider maker on this, who is supplying a barrel of 4.5% ABV light, semi-sweet, apple cider. I am operating a VM fractioning still. 10g, 1500w, 2" column.

One distillation or Two? My main questions revolve around doing one run or two distillation runs. Depending of the answer, there are some specific distillation process questions I have.

My current plan is to do a straight forward double distillation process:
1st run) Remove packing, no reflux, full power, strip it fast and hard. I tested stripping a 4.5% ABV wash at full power and wide open and collected at 22% (average). I stopped when my collection dropped to 5% ABV.
2nd run) Full high quality fractioning (spirit) run, collecting individual factions for blending.

I am really unsure of the second distillation process. I'm concerned that my Spirit run would removing too much flavor/smell. Wondering if I should consider operating my still like a pot still on the second distillation also, or possibly do the fractioning run but do it faster so my collection is not so pure? If you recommend one run, how would you operate the still?

Blending questions:
I am hoping to keep as much of the cider smell/flavor in the product as reasonable for a Brandy. Assuming I do a double distillation, would blending in limited quantities of product I set aside from the Stripping run be a good way to reintroduce some of the flavor/smell removed during the Spirit run? I've not read about anyone doing this, and wondering if others have tried or could recommend for/against doing this as a way to increase the flavor profile?

Thanks, OtisT
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

I would do 2 pot runs. I agree with your first stripping run, reflux off. But I would do the second run the same way, slowed down and be very careful with the cuts. All the apple comes over early, so if yoiure juggling reflux (where the apple is) draining back into your boiler youre going to have a helluva time hunting for the apple. Ive done all manner of apple runs, single pot, double run pot, plated flute and believe the simple double run pot approach is best to capture the goodness with brandys.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Double distillation reduces not the fruit flavors. The fruit flavors are in the first half of distillation and get reduced only if you make a large heads cut.

Generally for using a VM for stripping out all the alcohol, you have to cap the top and remove (or have !always! open) the valve and shut off the reflux coil water. If you only remove packing and open the valve you are wasting energy because the reflux coil sends the half of the vapor back into the boiler. And the shut down effect of a VM will hinder that you can collect all the alcohol.

Semi sweet is not optimal for making spirits. Normally super dry is the best.

IMO I can imagine, that a VM distilled apple brandy tastes well. Either single or double distilled. Double distilling is all in all faster if you have enough cider for four stripping runs.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

+1 on what Jimbo said. Run 2 runs in pot mode. Last year I ran mine off with a flute and cuts are just too difficult. I'm back to using a pot this year, doing double or maybe 1.5 runs. It might also help to read Jimbo's apple thread, (link in his signature)
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Thanks Jimbo, dear wo, and cranky for the advice.

Jimbo, what do you consider slow? I'm a noob with regard to pot still mode other than for stripping. I guess I have some reading to do on this, especially how to take early cuts on a pot still. I want to be sure I remove enough of real nasties. ;-)

Der wo, thanks for the gentle safety warning. (Product valve open before capping the column.). Never enough reminders of the need to operate safely. :-). Yes, to strip fast on my rig I do have to cap the top. Comparing a de-tuned reflux with the product valve wide open versus no reflux and a cap, I get 3x the output from the no reflux/capped column, using about 1/3 the power. For me that max strip rate is 1 full Quart every 25 minutes.

Cranky, I will read Jimbo's thread on apples. Thanks for the tip.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

OtisT wrote:
Jimbo, what do you consider slow? I'm a noob with regard to pot still mode other than for stripping. I guess I have some reading to do on this, especially how to take early cuts on a pot still. I want to be sure I remove enough of real nasties. ;-)
There's so many variables regarding the rig that I hesitate to answer whats slow and fast. This is slow and fast for my rig: 5500W element in a 15.5g still wih 13gal, 2" column.

4000W to strip = 8 min/quart.
2000W -2500W for spirit = 12-15 min/quart.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Jimbo wrote:
OtisT wrote:
There's so many variables regarding the rig that I hesitate to answer whats slow and fast. This is slow and fast for my rig: 5500W element in a 15.5g still wih 13gal, 2" column.

4000W to strip = 8 min/quart.
2000W -2500W for spirit = 12-15 min/quart.
Good answer Jimbo :thumbup:
Those are about the same numbers I run in pot mode.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Thanks Jimbo. I know each still is different. I enjoy understanding how other setups perform, so thanks for the details.

I just finished my first attempt distilling Brandy. This is just a test run for me, so I am using a few jars of muskat wine distillate I have left over from a previous project.

My rig: 10G Insulated SS Boiler. 1500W hotplate w/7 lb Al heat sink. 2" x 60" VM Column (Insulated, no packing). 1/2" ID Product Condenser. Reflux Removed, top capped.

Stripping Run (4.5% starting ABV, 20% product average)
1350 Watts = 25 min/quart.

Spirit/Slow Run (20% starting ABV, 52% product average)
600 Watts = 10ml/minute or 95 min/quart.

Product started coming off at 70%, and was at 22% when I cut it off. I cheated a bit at the beginning of this run and pulled off the first 60 ml while under reflux before I capped the column. I took three (3) 20ml samples off at a rate of 1 drip/sec (20ml every 10 minutes.) The fourth jar smelled a lot better so I pulled the reflux and capture a few more 20 ml samples before switching to 100 ml samples.

Jimbo, I think I found the cuts I am looking for in my 4th and 5th 20ml sample. Thanks for telling me where to look. I started smelling my collection jars in the middle of the run and worked backwards toward the start. Jar 7 and 6 smelled pretty neutral. 5 and especially 4 smelled very strong, sweet and pleasant. Jar 3 smelled like nail polish and 2 was worse. I need to let these air for a day or to, and cant wait to smell these again for making my final cuts.
CatCrap
Swill Maker

Post by CatCrap »

Hey, Otis, it's been a year. How did this age? What was your aging protocol?

Also you had mentioned "save some from the strip run to add back to the final product spirit run. I haven't heard of anyone doing this"
IMHO, i don't think that would be a wise idea. You double run for a reason. A strip run will be all kinds of smeared, so i don't think there is anything to be gained by added distillate from a strip to a second run. Let the still do the work.

Excited to hear how it turned out. You DO have some left, right? If it were me, i'd try to save it all for a year before even starting to test. But.. easier said than done. I know some don't have as much drinking stock, or drink/gift more than others

It will be me. I've got my first attempt at apple brandy started. Hoo boy... it sure is a slow ferment. Taking up a fermenter for quite a while. I'm ok with it though, just ended up buying a couple more, to allow that apple ferment to go for a month, or however long it takes. I think it's been about two weeks so far. I'll let it go until the fermenter stops filling up with CO2. However long that takes. Then i'll strip that, and get another started. Maybe do a 1.5X run, maybe just do enough strips until i get enough for a spirit run. With one fermenter working, one month at atime, it could be a long process. But that's ok, i've got other pots on the fire.

CC
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

CatCrap wrote:Hey, Otis, it's been a year. How did this age? What was your aging protocol?

Also you had mentioned "save some from the strip run to add back to the final product spirit run. I haven't heard of anyone doing this"
IMHO, i don't think that would be a wise idea. You double run for a reason. A strip run will be all kinds of smeared, so i don't think there is anything to be gained by added distillate from a strip to a second run. Let the still do the work.

Excited to hear how it turned out. You DO have some left, right? If it were me, i'd try to save it all for a year before even starting to test. But.. easier said than done. I know some don't have as much drinking stock, or drink/gift more than others

It will be me. I've got my first attempt at apple brandy started. Hoo boy... it sure is a slow ferment. Taking up a fermenter for quite a while. I'm ok with it though, just ended up buying a couple more, to allow that apple ferment to go for a month, or however long it takes. I think it's been about two weeks so far. I'll let it go until the fermenter stops filling up with CO2. However long that takes. Then i'll strip that, and get another started. Maybe do a 1.5X run, maybe just do enough strips until i get enough for a spirit run. With one fermenter working, one month at atime, it could be a long process. But that's ok, i've got other pots on the fire.

CC
I do have a few small bottles left. This was my first and only attempt at Brandy so far, so I don't have anything I made to compare to and I'm no brandy expert, so consider that when you hear how it went:

It is drinkable and I think it turned out mostly OK. The nose on this is amazingly pleasant and wonderful; Fruity, Vanilla, and a promise of sweet. The taste is where I think it falls a little short. The taste is non-offensive and even at 40% it seems relatively smooth, though I like drinking it proofed down a little more below that. I guess overall the flavor seems a little flat, and the taste does not match the incredibly sweet smell. Sipping it tastes good and clean and I can taste something sweet (can't identify the taste. maybe the grapes?), and a slight wood flavor lingers in the mouth afterward.

Aging protocol was as follows:

I aged the brandy in half a dozen pint jars with two types of chips. Half were Oregon Oak, Med Toast and the other half was Oregon Oak, Lt Toast. I think I used between 1 and 2 liquid OZs of really small chips in each jar. I added a 1 cm long chunk of Vanilla bean to two of the jars. After a few months I got lots of good smells but the flavor still seemed flat, like a light oak tea (non the bitter tannins, just oak flavor.) 4 months later (6 months total) I just did not sense that the spirit was progressing further so I decided to end the experiment and blend them all together for bottling.

In retrospect:
I liked the nose of the light toast oak slightly better than the med toast.
I should not have added the small slivers of vanilla. Even just the small about I added was too much, overpowering smell, as I think I got additional vanilla from the wood. I was impatient.
I need to try more brandies to understand what/where the fruit comes out and how much of that fruit flavor I should be expecting.
The bottom cut on this was very tight. I understand that fruityness is in the heads, but I wonder if a little hint of bottoms in conjunction with the wood for 6 months would have added some thickness/flavor? (Just some uneducated speculation on my part)
The flavor is so underwhelming that I have toyed with the idea of taking half and adding some glycerin or other form of sugar in an attempt to get the flavor to match the smell.

RE: Adding low wines to high wines.
That was just me thinking out loud, looking for a way to retain some flavors that could get lost in the second distillation. I did not do it, and you can ignore.

Otis
CatCrap
Swill Maker

Post by CatCrap »

Nah otis, i didn't mean at all that it was a bad idea. There is no bad ideas (janitor.. you hear me? Even kool aid.. it's an idea!) Just that i didn't recommend it and wouldn't do that test myself. But.. don't let me stop you at all. You could be onto something, i just don't know.

Can i say, though otis, that i'm not sure if you do all your aging with chips (i know you don't actually, you mentioned BadMo Barrels) but, from my research here on HD... chips are not the ideal way to age. They do not provide the proper ratio of End Grain to Long Grain wood. So, the oak i use is, so far, from two sources. First, i get used bourbon barrels which are broken down into chunks, on amazon. This gives me the chance to remove the char if i want, char further, and have access to 'raw' wood, so i can do my own charring and toasting. They come in roughly 2"x4" chunks, although there are some bigger and smaller pieces. So far, i've been really happy with this source. It gives me the versatilty to do what i want in aging on oak. I haven't used chips at all, but i think they are kind of one dimensional. They are going to soak up the spirit ot the core, and not give you that range of flavors that a larger chunk will give you. Sorry, i don't mean to be demeaning or condescending if you've already moved on from chips.. i just wanted to give you my 2 cents, that if you're only using chips, there are other and better options out there.

Amazon barrel chunks:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OB ... UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
This is 20$ for 5#. 5# is a LOT of wood. Although, it lasted me almost a year, i just ordered my second round.

My other source for Oak is Stilldragon. They sell mini staves of French and American Oak. I think they come pretty much pre toasted, although i like to toast further myself and to bring the life out of them. I figure some heat will bring those flavors back and more prominent.
http://stilldragon.com/index.php/oak-adjuncts.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I did try some Toasted/CHarred oak "cubes" from my LHBS. they're about 1/2" by 1/2" cubes. I used them once and didn't really care for the results compared to chunks of wood. Again... they are one dimensional. One toast/char all the way through and the spirit will soak til the center. Big hunks of wood give a more varied range of toast/spirit soak.

But.. Barrels of course are another level. Not cheap though, and a bit more trouble than Jars w/ Wood.

thanks for the update. My thoughts otis? The aroma has come around, but not the flavor. It needs more time. Give it a nother year.. Maybe longer. It will sooo be worth it!!!!