Mr P's Hot Cinnamon Schnapps (fire piss).

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Mr P's Hot Cinnamon Schnapps (fire piss).

Post by Odin »

Brown sugar is good. Gives a nice color to your drink ...

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
bht9665
Novice

Post by bht9665 »

Mr. P how did you make the syrup. Are you saying to get 4 cups you put 2 cups water and 2 cup sugar.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

By boiling water and adding sugar for some minutes.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

bht9665 wrote:Mr. P how did you make the syrup. Are you saying to get 4 cups you put 2 cups water and 2 cup sugar.
To get 4 cups you will need more then 2 cups sugar. Closer to 3 cups of sugar would be needed. But I would just do the 2 cups of water and 2 cups of sugar. Heat it up until all the sugar is melted. This would be a little less syrupy and sweet. Which I think will be better.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Just drinkin' a sip of my second try at this recipe ... mighty good stuff.

Odin
jarheadshiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jarheadshiner »

Having a sip myself Odin.

Cheers
Lead, follow, or get the **** out of the way!
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

BTW, cinnamon has soothing qualities on the stomach. So if you are prone to having stomach aches or digestive problems, this should be your "aperative" of choice!

Odin.
MoDog
Novice

Post by MoDog »

I've made a couple batches of this and its awesome!. I cut back on the sugar a little bit and have also experimented with adding a few peppercorns in with the sticks, as someone on another thread suggested.

My biggest problem is waiting the prescribed time limit. The longest I have been able to wait is 2 weeks, and the shortest I have waited is about 2 days :)

Mo.
Richard7
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Richard7 »

http://homedistiller.org/forum/download ... &mode=view Well I have really enjoyed having this stuff around to sip on. The middle jar in the picture gave me several pints and only having a shot or two per week it has lasted me a good long time.
I took some to a Christmas party where they had some hot damn and mine was much favored.
I made those back in November of 2012. I was running out and started to make some more with neutral from my last run and then it dawned on me. I never used the jar to the far right in the picture.
It got put away when company was coming over and got forgot :oops: . I just found it, and at 5 months on all the cinnamon I had in there it looks like coffee :shock: . At full strength it taste more like cinnamon than booze!
Now I just have to figure out how I am going to tame this beast into something we can drink. Right now I am thinking, cut it with more neutral then dilute and sweeten to taste.
I like the honey for sweetness but it does settle some. After it settles I pour the clear off the top and it does really well after that. I keep it in the freezer and it's great freezing cold. Thanks again for the recipe Mr. P
"yeah? yeah? the maple flavored kind?" A dog on you tube.
Devonhomebrew
Swill Maker

Post by Devonhomebrew »

ever though about glycerine for thickness?
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Devonhomebrew wrote:ever though about glycerine for thickness?
It doesn't need to ne any thicker. Matter of fact. I would like to find a way to thin it out.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
jarheadshiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jarheadshiner »

Wonder if an artificial sweetener like Splenda would work? Or does that just sound nasty? :sick:
Lead, follow, or get the **** out of the way!
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

jarheadshiner wrote:Wonder if an artificial sweetener like Splenda would work? Or does that just sound nasty? :sick:
Not in my drink. :shock:
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
Richard7
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Richard7 »

jarheadshiner wrote:Wonder if an artificial sweetener like Splenda would work? Or does that just sound nasty? :sick:
I have tried that in some apple pie for my wife, She does not like the taste of real sugar :crazy:, she liked the apple pie, but it did not taste as good to me. She really likes the fire piss when I make it with honey but I can't bring myself around to use Splenda in something that good!
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

I've been wanting to try honey. Just keep forgetting to. Until I read a post about it. Agave nector mite be good? I also want to try panela and brown sugar.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
slow trickle
Bootlegger

Post by slow trickle »

The liquid sweetener called fast sweet is pretty good. I use it at about a teaspoon and a half per quart on most things I sweeten. Liquid sugar in the raw is another great sweetener.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Is there a second for t and t ??? :esurprised: :esurprised:
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

I'll second if allowed
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

Third. I've loved products like this for a long time, and feel HD needs its own recipe for it. After all, there isn't one like it in there yet.

@PP: The unrefined sugar sounds like a real winner to me. Somewhat less excited about trying the honey...
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

If either of you fellas made it is.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Rng4
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rng4 »

If your still taking votes for T and T I'll say yes. I love the stuff
Richard7
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Richard7 »

It's always had my vote for T & T. Ever since the first batch I made, I keep some in the freezer all the time. I may only drink it once a week but you won't catch me without some ready!
charliebigpots
Novice

Post by charliebigpots »

:D :D :D smiles all round.. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: ...love this stuff..i think it will go down well and the festival we are all going to next week...which is why i made it...i also made a litre with half oak aged and half fire piss..but the fire piss is better.... :thumbup: :thumbup:
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Glad you like it. Hope its a hit.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

This stuff is amazing. My issue is that I cannot get it hot enough, but delicious all the same.

I also find that a thinner syrup is an excellent choice.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

bearriver wrote:This stuff is amazing. My issue is that I cannot get it hot enough, but delicious all the same.

I also find that a thinner syrup is an excellent choice.
Try different cinnamon. Some are hotter then others. And there are so many on the market to choose from.

So far I have tried 4 different ones. Each one is unique in its own way. Some hot some not. Some sweet some not. One even tastes like cinnamon apples. And I didn't add any apples.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
JH1
Novice

Post by JH1 »

This looks & sounds delicious!
I'll be sure to try this recipe once I add a reflux to my still.
aceswired
Swill Maker

Post by aceswired »

Well I made my own version of this before I found this thread. My first ever run was a brown sugar wash (read that it was an easy place for a beginner to start). The results were (predictably) unspectacular.

On a whim, I decided to try making a hot cinnamon drink out of what I'd collected. What I did was use two (doubled) unbleached coffee filters. I filled them with maybe half an ounce of finely ground Saigon cinnamon (from myspicesage). Then over time, I slowly dripped a pint and change through the filters (it got pretty slow by the end). Took on a really rich color almost right away. In the end, I let the alcohol level come up to the bottom of the coffee filters, so that it was, just barely, bathing the ground cinnamon (a glupy mess at this point). Let that sit for an hour or two, pulled out the filters, wrung them out really gently.

The result was very potently cinnamon. But also very dry. So I filtered it twice more, then added just a little bit of brown sugar. That cleaned it up nicely and I managed to turn a nondescript sugar wash into something I really enjoy sipping.

It's not as cost effective as the sticks method described here, since you won't be reusing the cinnamon. But if you want a more instant gratification, it does work, and it works fast.
phillmystill
Swill Maker

Post by phillmystill »

I currently have about a litre of this infusing at the moment (about 2 weeks in) my alcohol is only 72% abv so I intend to let it sit for about 6 weeks and see how it turns out.

The true Cinnamon (Cinnamomum zeylanicum or Cinnamomum verum) I buy is quite expensive so I thought I'd do some research as to whether I could use the much cheaper Cassia bark (Cinnamomum cassia or Cinnamomum aromaticaum or Cinnamomum burmannii). What I found was a little disconcerting so I thought I'd share it.

Whilst they all taste very similar and are all used in distilled beverages, using Cassia in an infusion raises safety concerns as it contains high levels of Coumarin, a hepatotoxic compound which is soluable in ethanol, whereas true Cinnamon contains virtually no Coumarin.

True Cinnamon has a much thinner bark than Cassia and can be rolled into the customary quills while Cassia bark is much thicker and resembles regular tree bark. Powdered "cinnamon" could be either true Cinnamon or Cassia and it would be impossible to distinguish the two, so I'd avoid using powdered "cinnamon" in an alcoholic infusion unless you can be sure of the source.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=newtip&dbid=31

(General info about Cinnamon and Cassia)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coumarin#T ... nd_tobacco

(Wikipedia page about Coumarin)
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
― Mae West
phillmystill
Swill Maker

Post by phillmystill »

aceswired wrote:Well I made my own version of this before I found this thread. My first ever run was a brown sugar wash (read that it was an easy place for a beginner to start). The results were (predictably) unspectacular.

On a whim, I decided to try making a hot cinnamon drink out of what I'd collected. What I did was use two (doubled) unbleached coffee filters. I filled them with maybe half an ounce of finely ground Saigon cinnamon (from myspicesage). Then over time, I slowly dripped a pint and change through the filters (it got pretty slow by the end). Took on a really rich color almost right away. In the end, I let the alcohol level come up to the bottom of the coffee filters, so that it was, just barely, bathing the ground cinnamon (a glupy mess at this point). Let that sit for an hour or two, pulled out the filters, wrung them out really gently.

The result was very potently cinnamon. But also very dry. So I filtered it twice more, then added just a little bit of brown sugar. That cleaned it up nicely and I managed to turn a nondescript sugar wash into something I really enjoy sipping.

It's not as cost effective as the sticks method described here, since you won't be reusing the cinnamon. But if you want a more instant gratification, it does work, and it works fast.
Saigon Cinnamon (and Java Cinnamon and Chinese Cinnamon) are Cassia and not true Cinnamon, thats the danger of using ground "cinnamon"!
wikipedia wrote:European health agencies have warned against consuming high amounts of cassia bark, one of the four main species of cinnamon, because of its coumarin content.[23][24] According to the German Federal Institute for Risk Assessment (BFR), 1 kg of (cassia) cinnamon powder contains approximately 2.1 to 4.4 g of coumarin.[25] Powdered cassia cinnamon weighs 0.56 g/cm3,[26] so a kilogram of cassia cinnamon powder equals 362.29 teaspoons. One teaspoon of cassia cinnamon powder therefore contains 5.8 to 12.1 mg of coumarin, which may be above the tolerable daily intake value for smaller individuals.
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
― Mae West