Rye bread whiskey

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Rye bread whiskey

Post by bearriver »

Hound Dog wrote: If this is as good as I think it will be after mellowing a bit it will be my first successful run on the pot still.
Awesome news! I haven't been satisfied with any of my pot still ventures yet, which has been depressing me a little...

I'll be trying this recipe before doing another UJ. There is a bakery in town that makes that same type of rye bread using only rye grain. I remember it having excellent strong flavor when I used it as part of a meal, but the texture was a little whack. It was nothing like Russian or Jewish rye bread whatsoever, which probably has a generous quantity of wheat flour in the mix to make it fluffy.
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

Yea Bear, easy recipe. If you have an Aldie groceries store in your area they import bread from Germany. There is a link a couple pages back. I gave a couple bricks (loaves) to my German mom while I was at it. She loved the stuff. I wasn't into it. Nothing like bread we are raised on. A lot of American rye and pumpernickle blends flours and adds Carmel to make it dark. This stuff is kind of nutty and spicy tasting. You really taste the grain.

This seems like a winning recipe though. Everything else I have made just on the pot still comes out tailsy smelling.
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
aceswired
Swill Maker

Post by aceswired »

I picked up the Aldi bread you recommended Hound Dog. Grabbed a bunch of the Pumpernickle loaves and also one that was just labled "Rye Bread." The rye was lighter, so not sure if it will work. I'll probably just add a little to the Pumpernickle loaves. And probably eat some too. ;)

I've got a corn sugarhead (UJ style) in the fermenter right now. But that should be done by Monday or so, then it'll be on to the rye bread. Hoping to bring some to my bro-in-law for Christmas, as he loves rye whiskey. Will report back with my results. Thanks again to Odin and everyone else who participated one this recipe!
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

aceswired wrote:Ooh that's perty. I'll dig around. Anyone in the US have luck finding that bread?
Got some today! 4 packs, 500g each, $26 from Amazon includes shipping. Can't wait to get a batch started this weekend!
Rye Bread.jpg
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Now Michigan ... THAT's the real stuff! Like the stuff I am using. If you wouldn't need it for your whiskey, you may want to try a slice. With butter and real Gouda cheese. Or herring ... a treat!

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
aceswired
Swill Maker

Post by aceswired »

Nice! If you have Aldi there you should grab some of that and do a side by side comparison. Its like a third the price.
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

aceswired wrote:Nice! If you have Aldi there you should grab some of that and do a side by side comparison. Its like a third the price.
Yes, if at all possible do the comparison so we can find out if the German bread from Aldie is similar.
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Here's a nice little thread that can help to further improve anyone trying to make rye bread whiskey (or any sugar head whiskey at that):

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 39&t=53278

What can we learn from it?
- Add backset to the next generation;
- Go for a low pH (4.0) for more esterification;
- Aeriate prior to starting up a new ferment, so the yeast can propagate and add organic compounds to the fermentation for even more esterification;
- Ferment at higher temps (28 to 34 degrees C) when using baker's yeast.

Esterification is the process where alcohols and carbon, in a sour environment, create esters. Esters are flavour molecules we can taste and smell. A more sour fermentation ups the esterification process. As does the higher temperature of fermentation.

Regards, Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Davel
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Davel »

With Rye Whiskey, being just marginally second on my list of favourite things to drink and with my 4th & 5th rum ferment almost ready to a run I have my sights on this recipe as my next ferments. :thumbup:

Thanks Odin for your inspiration & recipe developement! Like Buccaneer Bob's rum recipe I'm totally confident in your recipe being a hit.......9 pages of posts I think speaks for itself. :clap: :clap:
Braz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Braz »

For us Yanks, here's a source for the genuine Dutch rye that Odin uses. You can also get a pair of klompen (wooden shoes) there. You might want to wear them in the still shop in honor of Odin.
http://thedutchstore.com/webstore/produ ... EMCATEGORY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Braz
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Yes! Wooden shoes are a prerequisite, when you want to make this recipe!

Good addition, Braz!

Odin.
firewater69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by firewater69 »

Odin, i joined this forum almost a year ago & being an ag brewer i have never used the T&T recipes until a few weeks ago,so i did just to see what you guys were drinking. first was your cornflakes, after sitting for a few weeks it tastes pretty good! It's no malted corn but damned good. Next was UJSSM again not bad at all, similar in flavor to your cornflakes. I am gonna do your rye next, im sure it will be good, great job on your recipes!
Moonshine.... American as apple pie & it's part of our heritage, history & culture.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Thanks Firewater69!

You will like the rye best, I predict. If you can get your hands on real Dutch rye bread, that is. Baked for 13 hours at temps under boiling points of water.

Regards, Odin.
firewater69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by firewater69 »

Thanks for that info Odin, i will post results when i get it aired & aged enough to give it a fair taste. I should have posted before, i am running these on my cm @ 160 proof , loads of flavor.
Moonshine.... American as apple pie & it's part of our heritage, history & culture.
Davel
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Davel »

I've read this thread several times in a search for what type of yeast folks have used in the recipe but can find mention.

Is it safe to assume that regular baker's yeast has been used?

I have been using Red Star baker's yeast with good results but I have some Danstar Nottingham ale yeast that I'm thinking of using for this recipe to more properly match the yeast with the "grain" based ferment.

All thoughts on this are welcome!
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

I like to run it a bit hotter with baker's yeast.

Regards, Odin.
Davel
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Davel »

Thanks Odin,
On second thought and based on your experience with this I'm gonna stick to the baker's yeast. Why mess with a proven thing :relaxed:

Maybe once I've got a bunch of batches under my belt I venture off to use a different yeast.
Rastus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rastus »

I have re-read this thread again tonight.... most folks seem to be using a pot still as i seem to gather.

i am getting used to a new flute and found last run i pulled a very clean tasting 92% run on my UJSSM first run and i really want to try this Rye... so i am wondering, should i take a plate or 2 off of the flute( mine has 5), to run this when i get it going? have any flute runners done this recipe?

regards
She was just a moonshiner,
But he loved her Still
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

What works for your UJ will work for this recipe, where this recipe will bring you over more taste.

Regards, Odin.
Coyote
retired

Post by Coyote »

So trying a small batch ferment of this with a twist. Rye crisp crackers.
Waiting for it to cool enough to add my yeast, but the crackers are dark, full of
Rye flavor and contain no preservatives.

Crushed, boiled on low roll for ten minutes, added sugar and tossed in the fermenter.

Crackers are Rye, Corn bran, Salt and Caraway, cheap, and should be available world wide.

I'll let you know when I know

Coyote
"Slow Down , You'll get a more harmonious outcome"
"Speed & Greed have no place in this hobby"
Braz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Braz »

I did a spirit run on this recipe last weekend. I saved a bit of the hearts for drinking white and am nuclear aging the rest with toasted & charred white oak and it will then go into a 5 gallon twice used barrel at around 63 percent ABV. I have enough to just fill the barrel.

The unaged white dog, at 45 percent, has plenty of rye flavor but it is still white dog, which has never appealed to me much. The promise is there though and I think the oaked product will be just lovely. Even the white dog is pretty passable as the base for a Manhattan.

Thanks Odin.
Braz
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Welcome, Braz! If you can let the white dog settle a bit, over the next few weeks, you may find taste develops in a remarkable way.

Regards, Odin.
Rastus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rastus »

If i am derailing the topic let me know, but i keep thinking about the Bread, and for me it isnt easy to get, although i have some now,

thinking about the maillard reaction....
A friend approached me about a ramp soak PID and using it to cook some pork ribs sealed in a bag holding at 115f for 10 hours, then to 150 for a few more...

it occurred to me, what if i used the PID in a water bath setup almost exactly like a mash/lauter with a herms in a hot water tank and drop the rye grain mush in a closed container into the water bath using the ramp capability of my PID to hold the heat at the specific set temp for the allotted time... maillard processed hmmmm then it could be specificly tuned to a accurate temperature. could make pounds at a time.

As the temps slowly rise outside i can keep my ferments warm enough now to start some of the fun stuff....

Thanks Odin for stirring the dust in my brain and shining some enlightenment into my hollow head regarding this Maillard Process and the seed of thought has grown and will take me on a journey, to where? i dont know.. but that is part of the fun of it, a side road of life... the scenic route

have a wonderful day
But he loved her Still
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

I did some postings on the Maillard Reaction and how you can provoke it yourself with just rye and water ... Maybe worth reading?

Regards Rastus!

Odin.
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

After searching and searching for a certain type of sugar wash recipe i think i need to experiment to get what I'm looking for.I want to make a canadian style whiskey, I mostly drink Canadian Club, Golden Wedding, gibsons finest, or wisers deluxe. Canadian Whiskeys are almost always considered rye whiskey, but use much less rye than an American rye whiskey. I'm thinking about using your method to "cook" 3-4 kilos of rye bread, and add it to a sweetfeed ferment. Odin what do you think of this?
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
Rastus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rastus »

I finally got my first batch going... threw a double batch for 10 gallons started out at 1.07 on the hydrometer and 4 days later is 1.030 and dropping. i cant wait...

:P
But he loved her Still
Rastus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rastus »

Odin wrote: Just talked to a good friend of mine. He is going to make a small video of the process of Maillardization. Like this anyone can do it themselves. At home. Even when there is not Dutch rye bread to be found in your area. In English actually, so you might even understand it!

;)

He will try to shoot the video tomorrow, using some of my broken red wheat.

Odin.
Mr. Odin,
Did the video ever reach completion? I would love to check it out..

Thank you good Sir

Rastus
But he loved her Still
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Don't think it did!

Sorry.

Odin.
Rastus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rastus »

no need for sorry... I know how it goes..

my ferment is down to 1.010 at 6 days so i am getting close to the big day of revelation ...

as soon as i find where my wifey put the 20 pound sack of rye grain i bought,
i will try to do my own Maillard rye brick.

just wondering if i should take a plate or 2 off of my flute.
i am running 5 plates as of now and it seems to pull steady at 92%ABV untill the last jar where it rapidly drops.

all i have done so far comes out so clean i cant hardly call it anything but Vodka...
with a little sweetness in the back.

Best regards
But he loved her Still
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Try running it with three plates ... and add tails to the next run.

Regards, Odin.