C&B DADY Instructions

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Steep-n-Rocky
Swill Maker

C&B DADY Instructions

Post by Steep-n-Rocky »

Okay, I tried searching and could not find an answer, how do you guys use DADY and baker's yeast with AG mashes? By use I mean do you use a starter or simply add to your wash? If you add to your wash, how much do you use? I'm getting ready to try DADY for the first time and may try bakers yeast with a rye mash too.
just-a-sip
Rumrunner

Re: C&B DADY Instructions

Post by just-a-sip »

many people use a starter or a yeast bomb but others just pitch the yeast once ready... as for how much, it will depend on the amount of wash. ie water sugar grain yada yada yada
Just-A-Sip
Steep-n-Rocky
Swill Maker

Post by Steep-n-Rocky »

In my case I would be working with 10 gallon AG washes. I have used Nottingham ale, T-58, and EC-1118 and just bought some DADY and Red Star ADY.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

There was some good advice given to me in this thread. You mite read through it.
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... hilit=dady
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
rtalbigr
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rtalbigr »

C&B DADY is my primary yeast and pretty much all I use for my AG's unless I'm trying for something special. From my experience it is an excellent yeast for grain fermenting as it was developed for that use. It is a Fermantis product. It should be re-hydrated before pitching in sterile water at 90-105F. Add yeast to water and let rest for 15-20 minutes before stirring. Let it cool so that it is within 10 degrees F of your wort temps before pitching. If you make a starter with diluted wort you still need to re-hydrate before pitching into the starter.

Big R
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt
Steep-n-Rocky
Swill Maker

Post by Steep-n-Rocky »

Thanks guys. Rtalbigr, Does 2 tbsp bakers or DADY per 5 gallons mash sound about right? I thought I remembered reading that but cannot find it now. I am also thinking that rehydrating sounds better than pitching dry but perhaps it does not make that big a difference?

As always, I cannot say how much I appreciate and enjoy this forum!
rtalbigr
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rtalbigr »

Steep - re-hydrating is important. In the first milli-seconds the yeast cells cannot control what enters through the cell walls. So when you dry pitch the yeast into the wort you end up instantly killing 1/3-1/2 of the colony. Re-hydration prevents this thus insuring a much healthier yeast colony.

I generally use 4 teaspoons/5 gal of wort. 2 tablespoons is mildly over-pitching but really not enough to do any harm or result of off-flavors.

Big R
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt
Steep-n-Rocky
Swill Maker

Post by Steep-n-Rocky »

Thanks Big R, that was exactly what I was looking for.
Rib Eye
Novice

Post by Rib Eye »

Pardon my confusion, but what is C&B DADY?

Also, Big R, can you help me understand a good way to hydrate dry yeast before I pitch? I had a stalled wash, and wasn't sure how much yeast to add to restart it. I'd like to understand better what happens when I throw yeast into a stalled wash.

Thanks
Rib Eye
-Mediocre spirits will always encounter violent opposition from great minds.
Stilly
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stilly »

Rib Eye wrote:Pardon my confusion, but what is C&B DADY?

Also, Big R, can you help me understand a good way to hydrate dry yeast before I pitch? I had a stalled wash, and wasn't sure how much yeast to add to restart it. I'd like to understand better what happens when I throw yeast into a stalled wash.

Thanks
Rib Eye
Crosby & Baker Dry Active Distillers Yeast

cheers
stilly
rtalbigr
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rtalbigr »

Rib Eye wrote:Pardon my confusion, but what is C&B DADY?

Thanks
Rib Eye
To re-hydrate yeast you need sterile water. I just stick it in the microwave until it boils. I boil about a quart and then use the extra to sterilize all the vessels and equipment I'm using to re-hydrate (thermometer, spoon, etc.). Accepted volumes are typically 10 ml water for each gram of yeast; I use this as the minimum. Generally, let the water cool to 90-105F (although some yeasts have specific temps, check the package) and add the yeast. Let it set for about 15 minutes before stirring, by then all the yeast will have been hydrated. Stir occasionally until the temps are within 10 degrees F of the wort before pitching. I always use Go Ferm Protect when re-hydrating. It is a product containing the essential micro nutrients needed by the yeast and is designed to insure safe re-hydration and maximum survival rates of the yeast colony.

Just re-pitching yeast isn't necessarily a solution for a stalled ferment. You need to determine, if you can, what caused the ferment to stall. Most often a stalled ferment can be caused by any of several factors such as lack of oxygen, temps too high or too low, lack of adequate nutrients for the yeast, insufficient quantity of yeast, some other infection, shocking yeast due to excessive temp difference, competition from a wild yeast strain, excessively high SG, or any other factor within the wort that is killing the yeast. Stalled ferments can be rather frustrating.

Big R
jmashspirits14
Swill Maker

Post by jmashspirits14 »

I just bought some Red Star Active Dry Distillers Yeast and I did just as the instructions say but it is not fermenting. Its says to use 1/8-1/4 tsp per gallon of wort and that a starter can be made but this yeast can also be pitched directly at 95f. Well since it can be pitched directly I made a starter but used a quarter cup if the high sugar wort(grape juice 2lb sugar per gallon with yeast nutrient and ph adjusted to 5.6 with citric acid) which i've done many times with Red Star Active Dry Bakers Yeast and always worked just fine. I was told by the supplier that its not possible for the yeast to be bad because they rotate their yeast stock and the absolute longest it could have sat on the shelf is 3 months. Its Red Star but is in a gold soil package with a BSG label on it, previously C&B. He said anything with a C&B label on it is old yeast. Anyway, does anyone know what may have went wrong? Thanks!
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

jmashspirits14 wrote:I just bought some Red Star Active Dry Distillers Yeast and I did just as the instructions say but it is not fermenting. Its says to use 1/8-1/4 tsp per gallon of wort and that a starter can be made but this yeast can also be pitched directly at 95f. Well since it can be pitched directly I made a starter but used a quarter cup if the high sugar wort(grape juice 2lb sugar per gallon with yeast nutrient and ph adjusted to 5.6 with citric acid) which i've done many times with Red Star Active Dry Bakers Yeast and always worked just fine. I was told by the supplier that its not possible for the yeast to be bad because they rotate their yeast stock and the absolute longest it could have sat on the shelf is 3 months. Its Red Star but is in a gold soil package with a BSG label on it, previously C&B. He said anything with a C&B label on it is old yeast. Anyway, does anyone know what may have went wrong? Thanks!
So, what is the SG of your wash...??? Temperature...???

Regardless of what any instructions state I always over-pitch my yeast because it is so inexpensive... And I also proof my yeast by making a simple starter virtually every time... I use 1 tbsp of sugar and one cup of water per tablespoon or two of yeast... Just made up a starter the other night in a gallon jar which consisted of 3 cups 115F tap water (it cools when it hits the jar), 3 tablespoons (45ml) sugar, and 5 tablespoons (75ml) of Fleischmanns Dry Active Bakers Yeast... By the time I came back up from the basement after filling the carboy with water the yeast was overflowing all over the kitchen counter... I dumped the starter into the carboy and aerated for about five minutes... I've never had any lag time before seeing action through the airlock...
jmashspirits14
Swill Maker

Post by jmashspirits14 »

I never had any lag with Red Star Active Dry Yeast, only had problems when I bought a pound of Red Star Distillers Active Dry Yeast. My SG is 1.188, 2lb sugar per gallon, 5 gallons. Temp of the wort and starter 95f as per instructions on the yeast package. The person I bought it from also said this yeast produces 22% abv before slowing but everything else ive read says 14%. I can get that out of ADBY so I now I think I may have just wasted $15. My average abv using Red Star Active Dry Bakers Yeast is 12% abv. Ok, well 11.89%, close enough. I think the yeast probably sat over night in a truck over the weekend and we are in single digit highs and negative lows right now and I would say it killed my yeast. I have 8oz of RSADBY on hand. Another thing, when measuring yeast everyone always says use so many grams but I actually think grains is the proper weight. I tried to measure out 7 grams of yeast because my scale doesnt do grains and 7 grams was about an inch deep across the length of a fold over sandwich bag. Theres no way that would fit into a quarter ounce yeast packet. I did figure out however the proper amount of yeast for 5 gal of wash/mash is 1.5tsp. 1/4tsp per gallon of wort. Does this sound about right? That would equal one pack of yeast per 5 gal of wort/mash/wash. I know someone that was using one 7g pack of yeast per gallon of juice for wine! Lol. I took a sip of that stuff and my eye balls started bubbling, :)