strawberry panty-dropper

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

whiskymonster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: strawberry panty-dropper

Post by whiskymonster »

Jimbo wrote:Handle them berries like you want your wife to handle yours.
Bad advice right there jumbo.
Tried that, and they got eaten!
It's much easier to cut a bit off than weld a bit on...
apdb
Swill Maker
Location: big ole'island on the West Coast Canada, soon to be underwater when the big one hits

Post by apdb »

Ice cold Blackberry Panty Dropper w/ a touch of apple juice approx 40%
Ice cold Blackberry Panty Dropper w/ a touch of apple juice approx 40%
So frickin good, I highly recommend this recipe.
Aaron
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Never thought about addin a bit of apple juice to my blackberry . Gonna have to try that . Sounds interesting .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

I use apple juice in both my apple pie and cherry panty dropper. Adds a nice flavor and sweetness. Usually buried just enough not to call it out, what with all that high octane hooch in there and what not.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
Tito
Novice

Post by Tito »

How long should I leave blackberries in? I've seen anywhere from a week to a month? I have had them in 2 1/2 weeks now. Will I get much more flavor going another week and a half? I'd hate to ruin this by pushing it
jackfiasco
Bootlegger

Post by jackfiasco »

Spokerider wrote:
scottjc wrote:
thirsty wrote:I've made a million of these infusions, and the best, most interesting one I made was with fresh horseradish, fresh jalepeno, and garlic. It was delicious and herby. Makes an incredible bloody mary.
That sounds fantastic!
How much of each did you use?
I make a lot of these infusions, my best was probably sloe and habanero vodka...
Yeah, I too would like to see your recipe and learn more of it\s flavour.
I have wasabi horse radish growing that may give it a good kick :crazy: .
I noticed a couple people wanting Spokerider's recipe, to no avail. So I decided to try it myself and post the results.

I made two small jars with different ratios, to see which worked best. In the first I did garlic, horseradish, and jalepenos in a 1-2-5 ratio, (assuming the garlic would be the most potent ingredient with horseradish following close behind) and in the second I did a 1-1-4 ratio. One "part" was 5 grams by weight, so 5g garlic, 10g horseradish, 25g jalepenos in the first jar, and 5g garlic, 5g horseradish, 20g jalepenos in the second jar. Each jar contained 8 ounces of 68% neutral. I think the 1-1-4 is definitely better. The horseradish was too strong in the first jar. Also they have only been macerating for 2 days and the flavors are super strong. Next time I will probably use the same amount of ingredients but with double the alcohol, and then water it down to 80 proof or so after macerating.

Hope this helps with anyone that wants to try this recipe!
WindDawg
Novice

Post by WindDawg »

WoW!!! Only been using Fruit and this sounds incredible but does not actually sound like something some one would search after to drink, lol! I do it HELL!
“Need teaches a plan.”
jackfiasco
Bootlegger

Post by jackfiasco »

WindDawg wrote:WoW!!! Only been using Fruit and this sounds incredible but does not actually sound like something some one would search after to drink, lol! I do it HELL!
Bloody Marys yo!
wtfdskin
Swill Maker

Post by wtfdskin »

Just finished up some red raspberry. All I can say is wow. Great on ice with some sprite, wife prefers it neat. Have some blackberry on deck.
uploadfromtaptalk1423609250737.jpg
WindDawg
Novice

Post by WindDawg »

I started making this about a year ago and it is all some people will drink. IT"S A FAVORITE amongst many !!! I still LOVE my Apple Pie but I like 'em ALL!!! :thumbup:
“Need teaches a plan.”
wtfdskin
Swill Maker

Post by wtfdskin »

What do you guys do to get rid of the undisolved sugar that is in the syrup?
Lazarus Long
Swill Maker

Post by Lazarus Long »

I would think this would dissolve when added back to the liquid that has been pulled from soaking the fruit.
WindDawg
Novice

Post by WindDawg »

Not only should the booze dissolve it I have actually dumped it all back in to a stainless steel pot and put some low heat to it on the stove. But do not leave it unattended, and I put the electric stove burner on 3 for only about 15-20 mins.
“Need teaches a plan.”
wtfdskin
Swill Maker

Post by wtfdskin »

I was hoping it should dissipate when blended in. This is the first ive made without cooking. Some settled out but can see some still in suspension. Wasnt sure about heating. I guess would be ok if kept low enough
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

Each time I drain liquid off I strain it through a couple layers of cheese cloth. This filters out all the little things and only let's the syrup through. Leaves you with a clear red goodness. If you still have undissolved sugar, you probably have it too sweet, but you can put it in the fridge and when it gets cold the sugar will fall to the bottom. Then strain it.
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
wtfdskin
Swill Maker

Post by wtfdskin »

Straining through coffee filters today. Takes some time but even the syrup alone tastes awesome. Not too sweet with a warn fuzzy feeling on the end :)
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

Look for milk filters, try amazon. They are a bit more open than coffee filters so stuff actually goes through them. :thumbup:
Using Google Search

Angry Miller
Novice

Post by Angry Miller »

So I'm working on mixing the final product now. I assume all the strawberry and sugar stuff makes it unable to determine final proof? My fruit sat on 150 proof for a week, but then metered at 30 proof. I have no problem coming up with a yummy final product using taste alone, for me. However, I would like to be able to let those I share with know what they are in for. Don't want to give 80 proof to a wine guzzler, or 100 proof to a 70 proof liqueur drinker, without warning them what it's at.

Should I just assume that equal parts 150 proof pre-strawberry brandy and water is approx 75 or can I get any more exact? how about after syrup is added?
“Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough.”- Mark Twain
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

Use a calculator on the parent site. I use Rad's calculators when cutting liquor and it is accurate enough. With the extra fruit juice mixed in, sugars sect, it won't be exact but it will be a damn sight closer than a hydrometer. You just need to get it close anyway. Math is the only way I know of once all the junk is in it.
Using Google Search

WindDawg
Novice

Post by WindDawg »

Hound Dog wrote:Look for milk filters, try amazon. They are a bit more open than coffee filters so stuff actually goes through them. :thumbup:
Grease filter from amazon work best but are a lil expensive.
“Need teaches a plan.”
Angry Miller
Novice

Post by Angry Miller »

Hound Dog wrote:Use a calculator on the parent site. I use Rad's calculators when cutting liquor and it is accurate enough. With the extra fruit juice mixed in, sugars sect, it won't be exact but it will be a damn sight closer than a hydrometer.You just need to get it close anyway. Math is the only way I know of once all the junk is in it.
Yeah, the calcs are easy enough. But with a jar full of fruit then adding alc around it all, alc moves into the fruit and juice moves into the alc, that's got to throw your numbers out the window from the get go. I imagine the proof would be significantly less than what the math would say.
“Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough.”- Mark Twain
hotmaildotcom1
Novice

Post by hotmaildotcom1 »

Alright I read through the first ten pages of this thread and the answer to my question has been circled many a time, but not answered.

I am only on day three of my strawberry soaking, and they are almost completely white and inflated quite nicely. I can't imagine that more alcohol could penetrate the berries but I do not want to rush the process. I just don't see why I couldn't move on to the syrup stage now though...

My thoughts are that I might have unintentionally used a little higher proof than I should have, as my novice self is still waitin' on my hydrometer from fleeBay. I recognize that I can only test the product out of the still, but that point has left and gone by now lol. I use a mildly packed column about an forearms length long so I'm not sure what kind of proofs to be expecting. It's damn flammable though I'll tell you that.

Anyways, I don't want to bring this mighty fine forum down with too many of my amateur hour questions as I've still plenty of reading to do! But yeah, think it's alright if I just went ahead and poured off the liquid? Has anyone with experience making this got anxious to test the panty-dropping nature of this recipe and rushed it like the new-kid here is suggesting? :think:

Thanks!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Keep good records of what you did and how they turned out so that you can learn from your successes and mistakes and just keep making better and better product. Don't skimp on essential tools like hydrometers and thermometers.
WindDawg
Novice

Post by WindDawg »

hotmaildotcom1 wrote:Alright I read through the first ten pages of this thread and the answer to my question has been circled many a time, but not answered.

I am only on day three of my strawberry soaking, and they are almost completely white and inflated quite nicely. I can't imagine that more alcohol could penetrate the berries but I do not want to rush the process. I just don't see why I couldn't move on to the syrup stage now though...

My thoughts are that I might have unintentionally used a little higher proof than I should have, as my novice self is still waitin' on my hydrometer from fleeBay. I recognize that I can only test the product out of the still, but that point has left and gone by now lol. I use a mildly packed column about an forearms length long so I'm not sure what kind of proofs to be expecting. It's damn flammable though I'll tell you that.

Anyways, I don't want to bring this mighty fine forum down with too many of my amateur hour questions as I've still plenty of reading to do! But yeah, think it's alright if I just went ahead and poured off the liquid? Has anyone with experience making this got anxious to test the panty-dropping nature of this recipe and rushed it like the new-kid here is suggesting? :think:

Thanks!
I'll pop 150 in there and 3-5 days I have pale azz strawberries a person can not eat with out falling left or right. pour the baby off in another jar a refrigerate. label every jar u do. Throw some sugar on the pale strawberries and shake the shit out of them every time u walk by 'em until the fruit quitz giving up the juice........strain and put in another jar. don't throw away the fruit...this is for summer time daquries !!!! Put them in a jar or freezer bag and freeze 'em...they won't freeze but it's like that~! I dont really care about the seeds as they good for ya but u can strain 'em. In a pint throw ur jar up to 300 ball jar line and the rest syrup. Be a perfect blend.........drink right away after shaken it or freeze it til ur ready....u can heat it and can it and put it on a shelf to but up to u...Have fun and do it a few times and test it all til u know personally and u will b a pro in no time! :thumbup:
“Need teaches a plan.”
WindDawg
Novice

Post by WindDawg »

Its a hands on thing with the help of all the pro's that dwell here! Love 'em ALL!
“Need teaches a plan.”
hotmaildotcom1
Novice

Post by hotmaildotcom1 »

Thank you guys! I will be pourin off them juices at the crack of dawn tomorrow. A detailed journal will be kept! The pictures will be posted. Of the beverage that is, not the dropped panties.
WindDawg
Novice

Post by WindDawg »

We don't mind if you post some dropped Panties. We all like to know that the recipe is doing it's job well!
“Need teaches a plan.”
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

This has probably already been mentioned, but this works great with ginger root.
I put enough chopped ginger root to fill up about 1/3 of a quart jar. Added 100 proof spirit and let it sit for a few weeks.
If you just let it sit, it will stay crystal clear. If you shake it up before decanting off the ginger it will go a little hazy, but still just fine.
I did not add any sugar. Holy smokes, really extracts all the ginger goodness!
For a great drink, I mix 1 part of my ginger PD with 2 parts of my own rum, then top off glass with coke. The coke brings sweetness to the ginger and the rum and the combo is fantastic.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
hotmaildotcom1
Novice

Post by hotmaildotcom1 »

I am having a huge issue with posting pictures of anything I produce as they seem to disappear quite quickly right out of the jar! This mystery is still furthered be the female who seems to not even remember it was there in the first place. The link between these disappearances and the memory loss is still being investigated...

As of now I have created blueberry, strawberry, and peach. My question to anyone will to answer is what is the secret to making peach. I used a peach recipe from this board, but I am very hesitant to go try and dig it up as this is quite long at this point. My issue was that the peaches didn't seem to extract into the liquor as well as one would think. I had to dilute the product so much with the syrups made from the fruit, that the liquid was almost viscous by the time it was drinkable.
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

I did not have much luck with peach. Perhaps cheat with peach extract :shock:
Using Google Search