Wineos Plain Ol Sugar Wash

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

rad14701
retired

Re: Wineos Plain Ol Sugar Wash

Post by rad14701 »

Stijepovic wrote:So I made the mistake of using 16.6 pounds of sugar instead of what was recommend. All my other ingredients are the same and I used a half a cup of bakers yeast. What will be the outcome?
16.6 pounds in how much water...??? There are many helpful calculators on the parent site that will help you with many facets of this hobby, including sugar washes...
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

I am wanting to follow this exactly, the problem is my well water is very hard. Has a ph of about 8.8 .. I suspect I should not add the gypsum. Should I also increase the citric acid any? My ph meter recently broke so can't test PH anymore till my new meter comes in.

When you say 6 gallons you mean 23l? as in 6 US gallons ? Am I assuming wrong.

Any other suggestions?

I want to get 2 6 gallon washing going ASAP to make some Gin.

My GH and KH are as follows:
GH 225 mg/l
KH 190 mg/l

B
Last edited by bitter on Fri May 22, 2015 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kegg_jam »

I'd follow it as written. But just do one batch to see how it goes.

My ph always drops drastically by day two unless I use something to buffer it. Which is why I say do a trial batch and make adjustments accordingly.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Just started 2 6g Wineos sugar wash. Its started at 1.080 in 10 minutes its already started fermenting pretty good. Temp of the wash is 90f and house is 75f

I used RODI water to make the wash and followed the recipe exactly.

EDIT: OMG is this ever a vigorously fermenting. Was foaming over its fermenting so hard. About a 6" cap on it!!!! WOW Took an 1/2 gallon out of each to give more space.

Measured SG at 24 hours. was 1.050 so this is sure fermenting fast!
B
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

bitter wrote:Just started 2 6g Wineos sugar wash. Its started at 1.080 in 10 minutes its already started fermenting pretty good. Temp of the wash is 90f and house is 75f

I used RODI water to make the wash and followed the recipe exactly.

EDIT: OMG is this ever a vigorously fermenting. Was foaming over its fermenting so hard. About a 6" cap on it!!!! WOW Took an 1/2 gallon out of each to give more space.

Measured SG at 24 hours. was 1.050 so this is sure fermenting fast!
B
48 hours or so at 1.030 fermentation is slowing.. wish my ph meter was not dead.. would check things... But temp is down to 71f so with bakers yeast that is surely slowing things down.

Edit: Day 3 1.022 Still going at over 1 per second in both. I was surprised they are both going at the same rate. Temp is back upto 75F too

B
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Just measured and its still going along nicely its now down to 1.002 looks liek this is going to finish at .990 as its still fermenting along nicely.

Edit July4: Just checked and the washes are down to .990 but still going along... so will wait till they finish and clear. This wash is really working nice it is sour now... but very clean tasting.

B
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Ran this off on the weekend. Boy it sure is neutral. Last bit I ran in pot sill mode in the boka and was still pretty good (Going in next batch). So got about 5L of drinkable 65% after cutting it. I have about 4l of feints from the run also. I find my yield is lower then a lot of other people... in terms of what I keep.. I think I am just picky.. As some as I get a hint of tails it all goes for feints.

B
Haus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Haus »

So I have been doing this one for a while now and have worked out the following maybe it will help someone.

Like Wineo mentioned, I to use city water, not ideal but I get it to work just fine.

For a 5 gallon batch, (the original recipe called for 6 gallons water and 8lbs sugar). I use 5 gallons water and 7lbs sugar
I heat 2 gallons to 120F, pour all the dry ingredients from the original recipe into the carboy other than the yeast at this point and then add the hot water. Shake it well until dissolved and goes clear and I don't see any solids at all.
At this point I fill the carboy using a garden hose and sprayer, this aerates the crap out of it and brings the temp down to around 90F.
Check the SG, almost always 1.060 +/- 5 every time.
I made one adjustment to the yeast. I use 2/3 cup distillers yeast and 2 tbsp of bread yeast and just sprinkle it right in slowly allowing the yeast re-hydrate at its own pace.
Starts bubbling in about 15 minutes.
Usually in 4 days SG is down to 1.000 and .995 to .990 in 5.

I really think sprayer is the difference, aeration to me is critical on this one. I discovered that after the first couple tries and some heavy reading. I have been using the sprayer on all my mashes/washes every since.

Again this is only what works for me for this one.
you can lead a horse to water but it's hard as hell to drown it
Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kegg_jam »

the garden hose / spray nozzle is my secret weapon.
PTS_35
Swill Maker

Post by PTS_35 »

I don't have citric acid but I got some acid blend I bought for cider and wine. Would you recommend using that or buy a bit of citric? Or just use a bit of lemon juice instead. I do want it a neutral as possible but don't wanna buy citric acid if I don't have to
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

It works even without any acid. But anyway, citric acid is one of the things, what will be usefull often.
...and does not cost much.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
Mungo
Novice

Post by Mungo »

Do you find off flavours coming across from using the hose?
BTR Kentucky
Swill Maker

Post by BTR Kentucky »

I only have 5 gallon buckets. Does anyone have it broken down to use in 5 gallon buckets? I am thinking this would be great for blending with different flavors for this summer.
"He is not a fool to give the things he cannot keep, to gain the things which he cannot loose"
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FreeMountainHermit »

BTR Kentucky wrote: Does anyone have it broken down to use in 5 gallon buckets?
Here's a baseline calculator for you. Go forth and and ferment.

Please note the bottom line.

http://shuggo.com/birdwatchers/calculator.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Blah, blah, blah,........
Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kegg_jam »

I used to do about 8 lbs sugar leaving about 2" of head space in the bucket... So maybe 4.5 gallons of water.
BTR Kentucky
Swill Maker

Post by BTR Kentucky »

Did you leave the rest of the ingredients exact? I was going to check the weight of each ingredient then do the math from there for 5 gallons.
"He is not a fool to give the things he cannot keep, to gain the things which he cannot loose"
Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Wineos Plain Ol Sugar Wash

Post by Kegg_jam »

Hmmm, I didn't do anything overly technical.

They key to success with this wash is reasonable SG, adequate nutrients, good healthy yeast bomb, and keep the PH from crashing.

Some of this you'll have to figure out on your own as you go. So with that being said here is what works for me.

8 lbs sugar (inverted if you like),
water to fill the bucket
leaving some head room,
about a tablespoon of DAP,
1 Vitamin B complex (crushed),
2 small sea shells,
About a 1/4 cup of DADY yeast (sprinkled on top until it hydrates on its own),
Keep temp around 85f.

Edit: that's just what works for me. Others may do it differently. I don't bother with the gypsum (depends on your water chemistry)
Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kegg_jam »

I forgot oxygen. You want to aerate real good before pitching your yeast.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

This is not an overly complicate recipe and it preforms well with variations in proportions... I use roughly 1oz of tomato paste or 3oz of tomato puree and 1.5 - 2 pounds of sugar per gallon... I've never bothered trying the calculator because I can do math quite well in my head... There's no exact science to the original recipe... It works and is repeatable, plain and simple...
PTS_35
Swill Maker

Post by PTS_35 »

Followed the recipe. It'll be two weeks fermenting come Thursday. Tested it today and SG is only 1.040. The OG was 1.070. Any ideas as to why it's taking this long? I've been watching it and up until two days ago it was very very active. But then it died down and now it's still moving airlock but slowly and I can still see some bits of yeast moving but it looks like it's become real slow. I assumed it was done so I tested it. Was surprised to see 1.040
Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kegg_jam »

PH and/or Temperature.
PTS_35
Swill Maker

Post by PTS_35 »

Hmm, I don't normally test ph. I know we got warmer Temps here last couple days. Idk..I've done the all bran with lalvin 1118 and that was super slow. Just was hoping to see this one finished in two weeks since I used so much DADY
Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kegg_jam »

Dady likes the mid 80's. My basement is around 62-65f. I have to heat mine up usually with a sugar head. The All Grains seem to generate enough heat on there own.
PTS_35
Swill Maker

Post by PTS_35 »

Very strange thing yesterday afternoon I poured the test sample back into the carboy I go up there today and there seems to be more activity. I know the pouring back caused a stir but didnt expect it to get things kicking back up like that. I didn't know DADY liked warmer temps. Right now the house is probably 68.
Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kegg_jam »

I'd look into a way to warm up those carboy's. If nothing else just wrap a blanket around them.

I use an aquarium heater but indirectly. Put my bucket in a big cooler then fill with water and heat the water with the aquarium heater.
crazyk78
Swill Maker

Post by crazyk78 »

Kegg_jam wrote:I'd look into a way to warm up those carboy's. If nothing else just wrap a blanket around them.

I use an aquarium heater but indirectly. Put my bucket in a big cooler then fill with water and heat the water with the aquarium heater.
Why do you use the heat indirectly?
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

crazyk78 wrote:
Kegg_jam wrote:I'd look into a way to warm up those carboy's. If nothing else just wrap a blanket around them.

Most indirect heating is done so that the fermenter remains sealed up so the airlock works... Less chance of contamination... And some folks heat more than one fermenter at a time with a single heat source that way too...
Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kegg_jam »

rad14701 wrote:
crazyk78 wrote:

Most indirect heating is done so that the fermenter remains sealed up so the airlock works... Less chance of contamination... And some folks heat more than one fermenter at a time with a single heat source that way too...
Yeah, I can do 2 buckets at a time. Plus I don't have to cut a hole in the lid for the power cord or risk scorching the mash/wash if something goes wrong with the heater.
PTS_35
Swill Maker

Post by PTS_35 »

Following what you said abt warmer temps and dady, I just used a tower heater, wrapped carboy in a blanket and shut the door. Room temp is abt 76. I do think I see more activity. Be checking gravity sunday, see where I'm at
PTS_35
Swill Maker

Post by PTS_35 »

Gravity only at 1.030 from 1.040 a week ago?! Any one have any suggestions? Started this on 3/17 at 1.070. Wonder what the heck is taking so long