Taters Kahlua

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Kal
Novice

Re: Taters Kahlua

Post by Kal »

Anyone tried corn syrup with this recipe?

I don't know how accurate it is, but wikipedia states:
Kahlúa is a Mexican coffee-flavored vodka-based liqueur. It is dense and sweet, with the distinct taste of coffee, from which it is made. Kahlúa also contains sugar, corn syrup and vanilla bean.
I might experiment with some corn syrup in the mix next time I knock up a batch, which probably won't be for a while as I just made up 8 bottles of this :)
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

Anyone tried corn syrup with this recipe?
I used glucose in mine. Added some chewy body without adding more sweetness, which is why I used it. I'm gonna make more very soon, but with a rum base. Been addicted to mine poured over vanilla ice cream. Reminds me of an affogato, but better. Yum. Maybe I'll use decaf.
I do all my own stunts
zouthernborne
Swill Maker

Post by zouthernborne »

I just finished my batch of this a few minutes ago, put it under the cupboard where I put everything meant for aging. I read that 6 months to a year is optimal, but I'm not sure I can wait that long if I don't have to. What's the soonest anyone has started pulling from the bottle? :twisted:
I have a very assertive way. It's wake up, move your ass, or piss off home.
-Gordon Ramsay
12 Quart SS Stockpot, simple potstiller. Mostly running whiskey and rums.
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

zouthernborne wrote:I just finished my batch of this a few minutes ago, put it under the cupboard where I put everything meant for aging. I read that 6 months to a year is optimal, but I'm not sure I can wait that long if I don't have to. What's the soonest anyone has started pulling from the bottle? :twisted:
Give it a couple more minutes :mrgreen:
I do all my own stunts
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

definitely gets better as time passes,,,,,,,,but it's good now too!,,,,,,,,,,,2 more minutes :mrgreen:
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
zouthernborne
Swill Maker

Post by zouthernborne »

Okay, so 2 weeks later and it's MUCH better than it was when I first made it. I've been using it in recipes from my book of classic cocktails with great results. Gotta tip the hat to you Tater, ol boy. :ebiggrin:
I have a very assertive way. It's wake up, move your ass, or piss off home.
-Gordon Ramsay
12 Quart SS Stockpot, simple potstiller. Mostly running whiskey and rums.
Michaeln416
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Michaeln416 »

This sounds fabulous. I'm going to try making a batch this week using espresso instead of regular coffee. Then to try and forget about it and let it age a while before cracking it open.

Mike
Having fun and great success sprouting/roasting/smoking my own malted barley
I brew in 50L batches using local natural spring water and fresh baker's yeast
8 Gallon SS Reflux Still for neutral & 20 Gallon Copper Pot Still for everything else
big cheese
Novice

Post by big cheese »

I made this using some expensive beans. I can't recall the type. I let it age a 1.5 months before trying. It turned out awesome!

I am now going to try the instant version on here to see what the difference is.

Thanks,

Big Cheese
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

I threw a piece of a cinnamon stick in my spiced rum version and it sure made a nice addition. It's like a little mystery in every sip :ebiggrin:
I do all my own stunts
RevSpaminator
Swill Maker

Post by RevSpaminator »

Just made some this weekend. It was already good within the first half hour. A ton better by the end of the day. I'd better hide a bottle of this stuff away otherwise I won't have anything left in a day or two. :)
Snake Oil Whiskey And Miracle Elixir - It'll cure ya or kill ya.
OCDistiller
Novice

Post by OCDistiller »

Just made this recipe but used a cup of light brown sugar and a half cup of dark brown sugar. Also did the extra step of caramelizing it. Just tasted it and it tastes like coffee-molasses liqueur. Yep, molasses flavor is really dominating. Should have gone with lighter sugar. It's so strong I think I may need to dump it and start again. CRAP!!
OCDistiller
Novice

Post by OCDistiller »

Or maybe I should just make a half batch with all white sugar, go with the instant coffee and double that amount, and then add it to my current batch. Maybe that will bring up flavor of the coffee and bury that heavy molasses flavor a bit. I'd just hate to wait a few months and then find that it doesn't taste right.
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

Can't you just add more instant to the batch you gots? Also, give it a week and see what happens. You never know.
I do all my own stunts
OCDistiller
Novice

Post by OCDistiller »

Good point. That's one of the hardest things about this new hobby of mine - learning to just leave something alone and not mess with it for a while.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Got some now that's been aging since spring of last year.Gonna try for 3 years before breaking into long as my sipping supply holds out.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
OCDistiller
Novice

Post by OCDistiller »

srbutler75 wrote:Just made this recipe but used a cup of light brown sugar and a half cup of dark brown sugar. Also did the extra step of caramelizing it. Just tasted it and it tastes like coffee-molasses liqueur. Yep, molasses flavor is really dominating. Should have gone with lighter sugar. It's so strong I think I may need to dump it and start again. CRAP!!
Hey guys - I wrote this a week or so ago - well, that heavy molasses flavor totally settled out. It tastes great now. In fact, wouldn't change a thing. I went with the light brown and dark brown sugar, glad I caramelized it.

Thanks for the recipe!
Scrap dogg
Novice

Post by Scrap dogg »

Trying this now, but using espresso instead of coffe. You ever make 6 cups of espresso? Yeah, time consuming.....
Scrapper
Scrap dogg
Novice

Post by Scrap dogg »

Ok, got a few fifths made up. First impressions aren't great. Seem very...... Not right. We'll see in a few months. I kept out about a liter in a small bottle with a cap for a tester.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Scrapper
Scrap dogg
Novice

Post by Scrap dogg »

After only two days, this already smells/tastes ten times better, I imagine this is going to be a quality product in a few months.
Scrapper
hillbillyrogue
Novice

Post by hillbillyrogue »

I am currently trying this recipe by cold pressing the coffee. I am also a home brewer and have always gotten better results from a cold press. I am using the same quantities of coffee, water, sugars, etc. Just cold pressing over a 12 hour period instead of making hot coffee. I will let you know how it turns out in 6 months.
Michaeln416
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Michaeln416 »

I'm making this recipe right now hoping that the flavors will have blended sufficiently to enjoy by Christmas.

In this batch I used 12 double-shots of espresso combined with 2 cups of sugar (50:50 white & turbinado) and two tablespoons of honey making up exactly one liter in volume.

I combined the above with one liter of 50% ABV neutral that had been steeping overnight with two whole vanilla beans inside. Doing this ahead of time with the higher ABV sped up the flavor extraction prior to blending it with the coffee mixture.

I'm obviously left with a liqueur at 25% ABV. Has anyone tried this with a stronger neutral to get an even higher final ABV?
8 Gallon SS Reflux Still for neutral & 20 Gallon Copper Pot Still for everything else
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Tater wrote:Got some now that's been aging since spring of last year.Gonna try for 3 years before breaking into long as my sipping supply holds out.
still haven't touched it . be 3 years in a few months. Thinking on going another 3 before opening :thumbup: :thumbup:
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

What kind of person can resist temptation like that? :wtf:

tp
Michaeln416
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Michaeln416 »

Michaeln416 wrote:In this batch I used 12 double-shots of espresso combined with 2 cups of sugar (50:50 white & turbinado) and two tablespoons of honey making up exactly one liter in volume.
Reporting back. The espresso made the final drink a bit too bitter for most of my guests (they weren't espresso drinkers to begin with). I'll try it again using less espresso and perhaps a bit more sugar and/or honey (I had cut back a bit thinking that the original recipe might be too sweet).

I used some of this batch to make an outstanding Tiramisu dessert for a dinner party and everyone raved about it. Going to make it again for next weekend.
Axdelmar
Novice

Post by Axdelmar »

It appears Tater is not really a person, but an AUTOBOT...no one could resist something this good.
If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough.
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

I'm sure he has other things to drink :wink:
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Axdelmar wrote:It appears Tater is not really a person, but an AUTOBOT...no one could resist something this good.
Its easy. Still have some of the batch from before this one. :thumbup:
Axdelmar
Novice

Post by Axdelmar »

:lol:

He's ALIVE!!!!!
If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

Just did this based on the first post
750ml Water
750ml 50% URRV
100ml pure sugarcane sugar( light brown)
200ml granulated sugar
1 vanilla pod
one Tsp of algarve nectar, there was no honey in the house.

Filled up two bottles and a bit more.
Made myself a Kaluha and Milk and was not impressed.
I know that it needs a bit of time, but thought it would be nice off the bat.

Will report back when I try again in a week, month or whenever it will be.
Don't be a dick
rumBum2
Swill Maker

Post by rumBum2 »

Had my doubts on this recipe, haven't had any luck making any liqueurs. This was not the case is a total hit with the very few that i do share with. We drank it right after making with a nice splash of coconut milk... mmmm taste like more and more! :D thank you
The truth is like salt. Men want to taste a little, but too much makes everyone sick.