Steamer build plan

Steam powered cooking and distillation devices.

Moderator: Site Moderator

jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Steamer build plan

Post by jedneck »

I have been having good luck with steam injection and getting parts together for a steamer build. I have an idea for it and wanna run it past the brains to see if it is workable.
My plan is a 15.5 keg as a steam generator feeding a 25 gallon sludge boiler. On the output of the sludge boiler running a self filling thumper. The logic is that stripping with stream smears BAD. The thought is to strip the sludge collecting in self filling thumper. After sludge boiler is depleted switching steam to thumper and collecting. Reasoning is everything is already hot why waste the heat. I attached a rough sketch to show what I'm saying. The x on the line on top of boiler is the valve to switch steam from sludge boiler to thump.
What is the input? With it or waste of time.
Attachments
14432857319180.jpg
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Steamer build plan

Post by yakattack »

Sounds like you want to single run with steam...

Personally I'd say your making more work. But I'm also not sure I fully understand your line of reasoning. Are you filling the steamer with water or mash?
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Right now I use water for the larger temp difference. I run a 5 feeding 15.5 and I have just enuf water to do a run with zip,zilch,no damn cushion, have to shut down outta water.
big help
Dunder
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

Ok... So upgrading your steam generator makes sense, but are you just stripping or do you plan to have a hearing element in the thumper (secondary boiler?)
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
WhiteDevil504
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WhiteDevil504 »

If I read right he is going to use a valve to make the steam route directly to the thumper once the primary tank stops yielding alcohol. My question is, since everything is already at temp is there really am advantage to the bypass? If it wasn't at temp, and you wanted a way to quickly run a small batch I could see it being beneficial ..... But I. Ohh the be reading it wrong.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

The thought is strip and spirit using steam. The collected lowwines would already be hot just bypass the sludge boiler and inject strait to thump. Thump would have an element in it so I could kill the steam and fire up the element while the charge is still hot.
Or keep collecting strip runs and do a separate spirit run. But it is fun to try and think of improving the mouse trap.
Posted with whitedevil
big help
Dunder
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

I can see how it works with the valve closed because that would be the normal course of how it should logically work. But, with the valve open, I don't get all the heat and pressure dynamics with all the different potential directions the vapor can travel. It makes a lot more sense without that added leg of pipe and the valve. Or, maybe I'm missing something.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

S-C I believe that the steam would take the path of least resistance when the valve is open. The thump would be less back pressure than the nearly full sludge. But I'm just a dumb redneck that likes to make likker.
big help
Dunder
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Well shit, It sucks when you spend time gathering links and info and then screw up and don't click on submit before going some were else and lose the entire post. :cry:
I'll try again tomorrow. I'm too far in my cups to do it again tonight.
Brutal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Brutal »

jedneck wrote:I'm just a dumb redneck that likes to make likker.
You're not fooling anyone talking like that Jed. You are a brilliant mind and you deserve credit for that.

I understand what you mean. I think this idea will work, and will work great.

If you look at the way he drew the final thumper it still puts the vapor outlet under the liquid level (once there is liquid.) This will keep the collected liquid at or near boiling. The outlet of this final thumper is a vertical condenser, meaning it lets the entire vessel heat up and only condenses the vapor that escapes if the ENTIRE vessel is at boiling. This returns any escaping vapor to the boiler (final thump.)

The vertical condenser could be achieved with an old RandyMarshCT trick. If your condenser has a 90 on the inlet, loosen the attachment and turn it up toward the sky. This turns you PC into a RC. When the time comes to switch the vapor path and you are ready to start the "spirit" portion of the run, just loosen it again and turn it downward toward your collection point.

Switching right on the fly like that means just losing no time or energy between the strip and the spirit run.

It's basically similar to what a member here does "deepsouth" has a flute on his steam injected boiler. The flute collects the strip and separates it by reflux. In this proposed still you would just using the final thump as the plate(s), and delaying the start for a time.

Kinda hard to add anything to this. Instead of starting the final thump dry you could add any feints you have to it. Just add what you would normally put in from the last run. Also make sure you have some kind of vacuum break on the slop thumper. When you close the valve you don't want it to collapse.

Party on Jed.
Steam injection rig http://tinyurl.com/kxmz8hy
All grain corn mash with steam injection and enzymes http://tinyurl.com/mp6zdt5
Inner tube condenser http://tinyurl.com/zkp3ps6
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Yep , you a dumb redneck , just that , that lives out in the sticks . So am I and I damned sure ain't going to set down to a poker table with you . You would be a tough opponent .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

Truckinbutch wrote:Yep , you a dumb redneck , just that , that lives out in the sticks . So am I and I damned sure ain't going to set down to a poker table with you . You would be a tough opponent .
I suck at poker but I am not afraid to hit on 15 or 17 at a table. I did it once and they asked me to leave. Every hand won and dealer busted.
big help
Dunder
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

jedneck wrote:
Truckinbutch wrote:Yep , you a dumb redneck , just that , that lives out in the sticks . So am I and I damned sure ain't going to set down to a poker table with you . You would be a tough opponent .
I suck at poker but I am not afraid to hit on 15 or 17 at a table. I did it once and they asked me to leave. Every hand won and dealer busted.
"So she said , 'I am easy , but I ain't cheap ."
>I dunno . What the hell are we doing banging a keyboard this time of night when we ought to be sleeping so we can get back to stilling in the morning ?
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

Brutal do you remember which thread deepsouth's rig is in. I been looking for it and am striking out.
Nite TB we got stillin to do. I got 6 runs that need done. Was gonna start now but SOH said otherwise. But she should be snoring in a couple minutes. :twisted:
big help
Dunder
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FreeMountainHermit »

S-Cackalacky wrote:I can see how it works with the valve closed because that would be the normal course of how it should logically work. But, with the valve open, I don't get all the heat and pressure dynamics with all the different potential directions the vapor can travel. It makes a lot more sense without that added leg of pipe and the valve. Or, maybe I'm missing something.
Spent the day on a bar stool and things are a little fuzzy ATM but SC is onto something.

I'm thinking a designated line of it's own for steam without the Tee but like I said I'm a little fuzzy (fried) ATM
Attachments
VALVE.jpg
VALVE.jpg (9.57 KiB) Viewed 4933 times
Blah, blah, blah,........
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

rockchucker22 wrote:Why not stack the thumper and place it inline?
Would I be able to kill the steam to the sludge boiler. Not sure I'd have to but why heat it if don't need to. I am a cheap ass that really hates giving the power company my money.
big help
Dunder
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

jedneck wrote:Brutal do you remember which thread deepsouth's rig is in. I been looking for it and am striking out.
Nite TB we got stillin to do. I got 6 runs that need done. Was gonna start now but SOH said otherwise. But she should be snoring in a couple minutes. :twisted:
Http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 27&t=52764
Found it.
big help
Dunder
Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kegg_jam »

Looking forward to seeing where this goes. I remember reading through all those links when researching steam. Good stuff.
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

Same here, subbed and waiting, but starting 6 runs after the wife is asleep would mean 3 or 4 days before I could be remotely productive again.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Brutal wrote:
jedneck wrote:I'm just a dumb redneck that likes to make likker.
You're not fooling anyone talking like that Jed. You are a brilliant mind and you deserve credit for that.

I understand what you mean. I think this idea will work, and will work great.

If you look at the way he drew the final thumper it still puts the vapor outlet under the liquid level (once there is liquid.) This will keep the collected liquid at or near boiling. The outlet of this final thumper is a vertical condenser, meaning it lets the entire vessel heat up and only condenses the vapor that escapes if the ENTIRE vessel is at boiling. This returns any escaping vapor to the boiler (final thump.)

The vertical condenser could be achieved with an old RandyMarshCT trick. If your condenser has a 90 on the inlet, loosen the attachment and turn it up toward the sky. This turns you PC into a RC. When the time comes to switch the vapor path and you are ready to start the "spirit" portion of the run, just loosen it again and turn it downward toward your collection point.

Switching right on the fly like that means just losing no time or energy between the strip and the spirit run.

It's basically similar to what a member here does "deepsouth" has a flute on his steam injected boiler. The flute collects the strip and separates it by reflux. In this proposed still you would just using the final thump as the plate(s), and delaying the start for a time.

Kinda hard to add anything to this. Instead of starting the final thump dry you could add any feints you have to it. Just add what you would normally put in from the last run. Also make sure you have some kind of vacuum break on the slop thumper. When you close the valve you don't want it to collapse.

Party on Jed.
That last statement was one of my concerns. I'm not sure it would cause a collapse of the sludge boiler, but suck everything out of the thumper back into the sludge - negating everything accomplished to that point. A vent of some sort on the sludge boiler could prevent this. Could be something as simple as a hole in the lid with a cork stopper that could be removed at the same time the bypass valve is opened.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

The valve would be closed to send steam to the sludge boiler. When open I believe the steam would take the path of least resistance to the thumper. Not sure I see a way for it to pull a vacuum except for the sludge cooling down. But it should hold enef heat to prevent that.
I would not put a valve one each line cause Murphy is an asshole and shows up when least expected. Counting on sludge to be second valve.
big help
Dunder
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

I was referring to the pipe from the output of the sludge boiler to the input of the thumper. Once you open the valve to divert the steam, the sludge boiler will begin to cool down and cause a temp/pressure differential between the sludge boiler and the thumper. The vacuum being created in the sludge boiler won't cause it to collapse because it isn't sealed off - its opening is the pipe to the thumper. As the pressure in the sludge boiler drops, it will first suck the liquid from the thumper and then will equalize to the atmosphere through the RC and the takeoff point. It won't take as long as you might think. I've forgotten to pull the plug on my boiler fill port a few times and could hear air being sucked through the seals on the boiler and opened the thumper to find it near empty. This happened within a few minutes of shutting down.

You don't really need a second valve. What you would need is some way to open the sludge boiler to the atmosphere to prevent the pressure differential.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

Would the pressure form the steam gen not keep the pressure in the sludge boiler to keep it from back feeding. That is my thought. And if not and plumbed tithe the lowines would drain back to steam boiler.
big help
Dunder
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

I keep having to go back to look at your drawing, What you're saying might be right, but might also cause some other problems - idk. I guess the proof will be in the puddin'. Anyway, hope it works the way you anticipate.

BTW - how do you know when to open the valve?
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

I'm gonna have a thermometer below the liquid level in the sludge boiler. When it hits 210-212 I'll open the valve.
big help
Dunder
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Jed, sounds like you got it figured out. I'm looking forward to hearing how it runs. One more stupid question - will you reflux everything that goes to the thumper until the sludge boiler is depleated?
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

That is the plan, but not sure if it will be necessary. Hell just running the thumper normal might clean it up single run. I can test that with current setup, I can add my thump and see what happens. That would tell alot. The joys of this hobby so much to try but not enuf time.
big help
Dunder
Brutal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Brutal »

jedneck wrote:Brutal do you remember which thread deepsouth's rig is in. I been looking for it and am striking out.
I've missed the rest of this thread since this post. I was using the HD Google search and clicked a fake link... Now Firefox has this redirect thing going that is driving me crazy. It's like one of those adware browser add ons but I can't find it.

Y'all please be careful when using HD Google search. Don't click on results that have anything in front of "homedistller-" if they have a "ww" or anything else in front of them don't click!!
Condensifier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Condensifier »

You could try uninstalling firefox then reinstalling it. First backup your bookmarks. I did that recently on my grand daughter's computer. I use an older version of firefox, though, I use 27.0.
Brutal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Brutal »

Condensifier wrote:You could try uninstalling firefox then reinstalling it. First backup your bookmarks. I did that recently on my grand daughter's computer. I use an older version of firefox, though, I use 27.0.
Uninstalled Firefox and mms, reboot, reinstall. Had to do it before but there was always a program or programs I found that were responsible for the redirect. I found nothing of the sort this time. That's what really drove me crazy was not finding the culprit.

I would also guess that 99% of users wouldn't have even known they were being redirected at all. That's the other troubling thing about this is how many people using HD Google search have stepped on this mine and have no idea they have been hijacked? I feel like I was pretty well prepared and it still kinda got me. I don't understand why there would be so many fake mirrors of our site either.