Buccaneer Bob's Silver, Gold, and Black Rum Recipe

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Buccaneer Bob's Silver, Gold, and Black Rum Recipe

Post by nerdybrewer »

Pochine, the other option is to split the batch and double the water and pitch new yeast.
Going above 7% - 8% will stress your yeast and may produce unwanted flavors.
Personally I haven't found measuring ABV to work well with molasses washes, too thick for accuracy, but that's just me.
If you run it now prepare for puking - if there's a lot of unfermented sugar and you fill your boiler more than half it will want to puke.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
Buccaneer Bob
Rumrunner

Post by Buccaneer Bob »

Sounds good, Snackson. Yeah, you could definitely add more molasses and/or sugar if you wanted to. Of course, you don't have to. But with a starting gravity of 1.063 on a molasses wash, you'll be lucky to hit 5% alcohol on your ferment.

After cuts, you'll probably end up with around two fifths (1.4 liters) of rum out of a five gallon (20 liter) 5% ferment, by my calculations. That's not bad, but I've been getting five fifths (4 liters) out of a 5 gallon ferment.

Either way, though, you'll get a start on your dunder pit.

Definitely let me know how it works out for you.

And good advice on splitting the batch, Nerdybrewer.

I thought about that, but I was a little bit worried Pochine might be setting himself up for a runaway bacterial infection.

But yeah, if he adds a bit more lemon/lime juice to keep the pesky critters at bay, he could totally split the batch, save the sugar, and reduce his risk of puking.
Snackson
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Snackson »

Buccaneer Bob wrote:Sounds good, Snackson. Yeah, you could definitely add more molasses and/or sugar if you wanted to. Of course, you don't have to. But with a starting gravity of 1.063 on a molasses wash, you'll be lucky to hit 5% alcohol on your ferment.

After cuts, you'll probably end up with around two fifths (1.4 liters) of rum out of a five gallon (20 liter) 5% ferment, by my calculations. That's not bad, but I've been getting five fifths (4 liters) out of a 5 gallon ferment.
Really, this was with a refractometer, not a hydrometer so the sugar content should be dead on. I've got a half gallon of room in there right now so as much turbinado sugar I can dissolve in water up to a half gallon is going to go in tomorrow evening.
Snackson
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Snackson »

So I went ahead and added 2.75 pounds of turbinado sugar and topped off to 5 gallons total (mixed up 120f water with it). Sitting at a happy 80f in the garage. Looking forward to the finished product.
Buccaneer Bob
Rumrunner

Post by Buccaneer Bob »

Cool deal, Snackson. Yeah, I'm looking forward to hearing how it works out for you.
Snackson
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Snackson »

Stripped the other day and doing spirit run right now. Will post results tomorrow.
Snackson
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Snackson »

It finished at 1.012. It puked during the stripping run and I lost good amount. I was running it too fast on my 5 gallon boiler. After I got it to slow and cool down I tosse the first 200ml. Collected about a gallon during the strip. Diluted to 3 gallons and ran spirit run. During the spirit run I ran it nice and slow. I was collecting about 200-225ml every 15 minutes.

50ml tossed.
Jar 1- 200ml @ 158 into feints
Jar 2- 200ml @ 134 into feints
Jar 3- 200ml @ 126 into feints
Jar 4- 200ml @ 117 into hearts
Jar 5- 200ml @ 110 into hearts
Jar 6- 350ml @ 107 into hearts
Jar 7- 525ml @ 88 into hearts
Jar 8-10 1200ml into feints

Aging the hearts with 6 small toasted oak cubes right now, used 100ml to make dark rum essence. This one is just going to hide away for a while. The dunder pit is looking good right now, about four specs of mold on it but is getting nice and nasty for the next batch in another week or so.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Had a couple good friends over and we sampled from the barrel.
At about 18 weeks of age my rum is awesome, I have to admit I over indulged - but it's my house and I didn't have to drive.
I have 7 plus gallons of incredibly good high proof aged rum - what's a guy to do?

It's fall and getting colder at night, I need advice about leaving it outside or bringing it in over winter. If the barrel is subjected to freezing temps I am not worried about the contents as it would take a very hard winter to cause any trouble there. What about the wood though? Can it endure the freezing and thawing that will happen and keep the contents safe or am I safer just bringing it in the house?

In the house I'd be tempted to replace the bung with a spigot so I might sample a taste now and again and that could get to be something of an issue. I'd need a locking spigot since there are teenage members of the household. It just gets complicated in a hurry, still if it's best to bring it inside then I'll do that.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

Buccaneer Bob
Rumrunner

Post by Buccaneer Bob »

Cool deal, Snackson. Thanks for the update. :thumbup:

And if it was me, Nerdybrewer, I'd be worried about the colder, drier weather shrinking up the staves of your barrel and creating a leak. Of course, I am not an expert on barrels, but to me, dramatic changes in temperature seem problematic.

But let's see if somebody else chimes in with better advice.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Thanks Bob,
I read an article by Robbie Clark called "The Bourbon Polar Vortex" quoting bourbon master distiller Jim Rutledge at Four Roses about the harsh winters that have hit Kentucky in recent years.
They do not store their barrels in climate controlled facilities and they feel that the seasons add to the aging process.

Here's the article, it makes me think I will leave my barrels out in the shed and just check on them regularly for leaks.
http://gobourbon.com/the-bourbon-polar-vortex/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

Snackson
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Snackson »

20 gallons fermenting away right now. 4 gallons of Golden Barrel Supreme Baking Molasses. 1.093 hydrometer and 1.082 refractometer readings. Ph was at 5.00, will check it again today. I also used a tad of DADY with bakers because I ran out of bakers. It started fermenting instantly. Boiling the dunder in the kitchen stunk the house up a little, but the results should make up for that!
Rastus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rastus »

nerdybrewer wrote:Thanks Bob,
I read an article by Robbie Clark called "The Bourbon Polar Vortex" quoting bourbon master distiller Jim Rutledge at Four Roses about the harsh winters that have hit Kentucky in recent years.
They do not store their barrels in climate controlled facilities and they feel that the seasons add to the aging process.

Here's the article, it makes me think I will leave my barrels out in the shed and just check on them regularly for leaks.
http://gobourbon.com/the-bourbon-polar-vortex/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Thanks for the article, good read ...
it gets damned cold where i live and figured that was the case...
heat and cold kinda like being CPR with alky-hawl as air and wood the lungs...
now i dont use barrels, but seems the water content in the wood would be the worst enemy, but since the booze inside wont freeze, and is permeated into the grains of the wood, it should be fine.
I know a few cycles of inside and outside the house with my jars of oaked product in the winter you can see and taste the changes happen quite quickly.

regards
She was just a moonshiner,
But he loved her Still
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Rum001.jpg
Decided I'd fill a bottle with my tasty rum, I've got a few empty Arberlour bottles and like the way they look.
The ABV has suffered due to the Angels, it's down to 55% from about 65% when it went in the barrel in May.
There have been a lot of hot days and cool nights in the Black Swan barrel since May.
Anyway, just thought I'd post a picture.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

Buccaneer Bob
Rumrunner

Post by Buccaneer Bob »

Lookin good, Nerdybrewer. Thanks for sharing. :thumbup:
Snackson
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Snackson »

13 gallons went in yesterday with a half gallon of feints and stripped for 6 hours prep to finish. Collected down to 20% and got a little over3.5 gallons. Stripping another 10-12 gallons of it tonight. God I am going to dread this spirit run next weekend!
Snackson
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Snackson »

Stripped 11 gallons off today and ended up with a little over 2 gallons. I shut down early around 28%. All together I have 5.5 gallons at 58%. Going to dilute and do spirit run Thursday I think. Hoping to get a decent amount from the spirit run.
Buccaneer Bob
Rumrunner

Post by Buccaneer Bob »

Cool deal, Snackson. Sounds like you've been busy. :thumbup:

Yeah, I've been trying to build up a little inventory, myself.
Snackson
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Snackson »

Spirit run completed last night. 7 quarts at ~75% of hearts after one day airing. I'll be checking on them again tomorrow as it hasn't quite been 24 hrs yet. Overall I collected from 85% down to ~30% before I shut it down and went to bed. Collected about 16 quarts overall but I don't want to be stingy.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

I filled a bottle from my Balcone's barrel last night.
What I've done is to age the rum in a Black Swan barrel for 6+ months and my single malt scotch in the Balcone's.
Then I transferred the scotch into the Black Swan and the rum into the Balcone's barrel.
My reasoning is that different barrels impart different character into the spirit during aging.
For instance the scotch from the Balcone barrel was very reddish in color while the rum came out a golden color.
Flavor and smell were also different, I realize part of that is due to the source of the spirit but the barrel also gives something to smell and taste.
So it's been about 6 weeks and I wanted to see how my rum was doing.
I have to say I am very happy, this rum was already very good but it has taken on new character and is quickly becoming (if I say so myself) great.
It's taken on a spicy vanilla flavor and smell it didn't have before.
Now at 8 months old it is clearly the best rum I've ever had, there isn't a commercial rum I've tried that is better than this (IMHO).
This really is a rewarding hobby!
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

Buccaneer Bob
Rumrunner

Post by Buccaneer Bob »

Sounds good, guys. :thumbup:

Nerdybrewer, am I to understand that you put the rum into the barrel "white" and took it out later "golden"? Have you tried the dark rum essence deal yet, or are you just focusing on barreling "white" to reach a "silver" / "gold"? I'm sure it's great, whatever you've made, but I'm curious about your preferred methods.

And yeah, I totally gotta agree about this being a rewarding hobby. It appeals on so many levels, you know. There's the science of it. There's the artisanship. There's the historical element. There can be some real cost savings there (for most of us, anyway). And then there's the awesome liquor that we can make and enjoy. It's just a wonderful thing.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

It went in white and it came out of the first barrel gold, real deep gold.
The second barrel is imparting different flavors and a reddish tint.
I haven't added anything, also just to add a data point, it's dropped to 55% while aging - went in at 62%.
That's to be expected as the angels will take their share, I always heard that and thought it was about diminishing volume.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Just want to add that 4 more weeks and I pulled another few quarts out for tasting...
Wow. The rum is awesome.
Deeply colored but more than that very deep and complicated flavors.
I should really get to fermenting another 50 gallons or so, I'll be running out before I've made more at this rate.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

Buccaneer Bob
Rumrunner

Post by Buccaneer Bob »

Sounds good, nerdybrewer. :thumbup:

Yeah, it's too bad we can't get a few of us together for a taste comparison. I like what I'm coming up with, of course, but I'm sure I would like your rum, as well.

I just think it would be so cool if we could compare the results from our different molasseses, sugars, dunder pits, etc., you know.

Stupid backward laws keeping us from doing that. :|
tomm292
Novice

Post by tomm292 »

Buccaneer Bob, my hat is off to you.

The rum is fantastic , you did a great job with the recipe.
I was wondering if maybe you had a recipe for spiced rum essence ?

thanks again
Buccaneer Bob
Rumrunner

Post by Buccaneer Bob »

tomm292 wrote:Buccaneer Bob, my hat is off to you.

The rum is fantastic , you did a great job with the recipe.
I was wondering if maybe you had a recipe for spiced rum essence ?

thanks again
Thanks so much, Tomm292. :D

And you know, I haven't tried this, yet, but I do get asked about spiced rum from time to time, and here is the advice I gave another guy who asked:
Spiced Rum (Experimental)

1. Start with one liter of gold (or other) rum but have a second/third liter handy if the spices are too strong in the first liter.

2. Add any of the following spice mixtures to the rum and give the bottle a good shake.

Pumpkin Pie Spice
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Apple Pie Spice
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Pear Pie Spice
3 teaspoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest (rind)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

3. Taste the rum periodically to see how the spicing process is going. It could be ready in a few hours, or it may need a few days if lemon zest is used.

4. After rum is sufficiently spiced, strain it through a piece of medium-weight cotton cloth or a coffee filter.

5. Blend in more rum if the spice is too strong.

6. Add sugar to taste. If a handful-or-so of sugar is used, consider tossing in a pinch of salt, as well, to make the sweetness pop.

7. Experiment. For instance: consider using apple juice to reduce the rum to drinking strength, rather than water.

8. Drink whenever. But for a clearer liquor, allow the sediment to settle for a few weeks and rack liquor off the sediment.
As luck would have it, I also dabble with baking in the winter months, and these spice mixtures come from some of my "blue ribbon" pie recipes.

Of course, this is just a theoretical starting point.

If you do decide to pursue this, please let me know how it works out, because it's all just been theoretical thus far.

I did make a liqueur version of my rum last Christmas for Mrs. Buccaneer Bob, as follows:
Rum Liqueur
1 340 ml can Carnation evaporated milk
1/4 cup (57 grams) granulated sugar
~ 350 ml rum to fill bottle
And it was nice, but unfortunately, most of it is still sitting on the shelf because neither the Missus nor I are much on liqueurs.

And I'm guessing any experiments with spiced rum, on my part, would sit on a shelf, as well.

However, I would love to hear about others' results.
tomm292
Novice

Post by tomm292 »

Thanks Bucaneer for getting back to me. The recipes are appreciated, and i will keep you informed in which direction i head.

I had another question, i forgot to ask last time. I made way too much neutral, and was wondering if i put some in with a rum run, would it carry over, or just dilute the rum coming off the still ? Just thought this might be an easy way to transform some neutral into the superior rum.

thanks again
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

I put a bottle on charred apple wood for a month, this is after a year in two different oak barrels.
Too bad I only have one bottle, this is amazing.
Live & learn.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

Buccaneer Bob
Rumrunner

Post by Buccaneer Bob »

tomm292 wrote:I had another question, i forgot to ask last time. I made way too much neutral, and was wondering if i put some in with a rum run, would it carry over, or just dilute the rum coming off the still ? Just thought this might be an easy way to transform some neutral into the superior rum.
If it were me, I would:
1) Do a regular rum run.
2) Remove the dunder from the still immediately after that run and mix it with your neutral.
3) Let that sit around for a couple weeks.
4) Distill that dunder-and-neutral mixture and see what you get.

That way, you keep your regular rum intact, but you also likely convert your neutral into a decent faux-rum during the dunder-and-neutral cohabitation.

Does that make sense?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Buccaneer Bob wrote:
tomm292 wrote:
Rum Liqueur
1 340 ml can Carnation evaporated milk
1/4 cup (57 grams) granulated sugar
~ 350 ml rum to fill bottle
And it was nice, but unfortunately, most of it is still sitting on the shelf because neither the Missus nor I are much on liqueurs.

And I'm guessing any experiments with spiced rum, on my part, would sit on a shelf, as well.

However, I would love to hear about others' results.
My recipe is borrowed from one of the Baileys clones that does the rounds. It is kept in the fridge, not on the shelf. Sometimes it'll sit there for a while, but once started, most of it disappears in one night.

1 Nestle Carnation Evaporated Milk Creamy 375ml
375ml Rum @ 42%
150g sugar
1 tablespoon Hersheys Topping Chocolate Syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon instant coffee

Combine all ingredients in a pitcher and mix until the sugar is dissolved.
Store in the refrigerator in a sealed container. Shake before use.
Serve on ice.
tomm292
Novice

Post by tomm292 »

Thanks again Bucaneer Bob. I am very appreciative of the knowledge that is passed along in these forums. If i give it a go i will update you with the results. Thanks.