Jimbo's Apple Thread

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Jimbo
retired

Jimbo's Apple Thread

Post by Jimbo »

Bushman, thanks for the basket tip. Look at this baby, she's a beauty. Makes me want to build a bigger press and pick up a 20 ton :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-B80 ... oil+basket" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
Bushman
Admin

Jimbo's Apple Thread

Post by Bushman »

Jimbo wrote:Bushman, thanks for the basket tip. Look at this baby, she's a beauty. Makes me want to build a bigger press and pick up a 20 ton :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-B80 ... oil+basket" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
I have a very similar one but stainless that I got at a garage sale with the propane burner and container for $15.00 . Google Turkey fryer baskets. Below is the one I have but for this process it doesn't have to be stainless.
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/backyar ... SSKIT.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Jimbo's Apple Thread

Post by yakattack »

Jimbo wrote:
yakattack wrote:
A few gallons are destined to become a vinigar,

Yak
Yak, I been wanting to make a batch of balsamic. How do I get a good vinegar mother to get some cider started?
Any health food store will have cider vinigar with the mother, and if memery serves its still active. Bulkbarn here has it, and I think that's the route I am going to go. Though I'm sure you can find other sources online. I'm going to buy it with the vinigar, if it works I can send you some of the mother if you want.

Yak.
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
Halfbaked
retired

Jimbo's Apple Thread

Post by Halfbaked »

I know you have had your nose in it and a wine thief in it for samples how are you liking the 71B-1122 and the d47 compared to the 1118 as far as tastes before its stilled?
Jimbo
retired

Jimbo's Apple Thread

Post by Jimbo »

Nope. Haven't peeked at all.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
Jimbo
retired

Jimbo's Apple Thread

Post by Jimbo »

OK I peeked now. 3 weeks and they are all about done. Im running the D47 yeast batch now, it was at 0.998. The cider was very tasty, fruity, nice. Kept 2 gallons for the cider on tap blend. The run is going well on 2 plates. never did cider on the flute yet so I have it across many jars, 9 so far and running. The fresh brandy is smelling really nice. fores is packed tight into the first few ounces and the fruit is evident well into the hearts and tails.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Jimbo's Apple Thread

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Mine won't hit the 30 day mark until the 17th, so I have about another week. I hope that's not a mistake with the pomace ferment. I had my big assed ss spoon in there a few times early on and hope it didn't pick up an infection - got my fingers crossed. Can't wait to break out the ass press.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
cranky
Master of Distillation

Jimbo's Apple Thread

Post by cranky »

Good deal Jimbo, I'm interested to see what you think about the D-47. I have no idea how long mine have been going but I just topped up the 1118 and D-47 within about 2 inches from the top. I suppose the 1122 I have going is probably ready and the 2nd pressing batch, but I don't want to run while cleaning the garage since my flute runs so fast I can't do anything but stand there and change jars when I run it.
Halfbaked
retired

Jimbo's Apple Thread

Post by Halfbaked »

As a kid we used to frequent a family that had an orchard that sold apples. I love wine sap apples. The guy prob has 10-15 acres of apple trees. I haven't talked to the guy in a lonnnnnnnggg time. I called a couple weeks ago and asked if he had any wine saps cause its about that time. The guy said he hasn't even sprayed his trees or sold an apple in 10 years. I bet I could rent his orchard and get those trees for cheap as a lease. Id say the guy has 500-1000 trees. Damn you Jimbo, you put all these thoughts in my head. Still wanting to hear about your yeast diff and your column diff in you brandys.
Jimbo
retired

Jimbo's Apple Thread

Post by Jimbo »

Halfbaked wrote:As a kid we used to frequent a family that had an orchard that sold apples. I love wine sap apples. The guy prob has 10-15 acres of apple trees. I haven't talked to the guy in a lonnnnnnnggg time. I called a couple weeks ago and asked if he had any wine saps cause its about that time. The guy said he hasn't even sprayed his trees or sold an apple in 10 years. I bet I could rent his orchard and get those trees for cheap as a lease. Id say the guy has 500-1000 trees. Damn you Jimbo, you put all these thoughts in my head. Still wanting to hear about your yeast diff and your column diff in you brandys.
THAT my friend is a golden opportunity. Lease hell, he'd prolly be perfectly fine with you swinging by and picking as many tons as you'd like. Back up yoru pickup truck bed under the trees and shake hell outta the branches. When the apples are heaped over the side, drive home and get to grinding!

PS: I love wine saps too. I have one, very delicious apple. The tree I posted earlier heaped loaded with apples is a Fuji. Thems pretty damn tasty too, got 400 lbs off that tree.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Jimbo's Apple Thread

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Cranky/Jimbo/anyone, what's the difference between 1122 and 1118? I had a guy in the brew shop trying to convince me to try 1122, but I've always used 1118 and that's what I went with. He was using it for hard cider and I lied and told him that's what I was using the 1118 for. Would that be the reason for using 1122, cider?
Jimbo
retired

Jimbo's Apple Thread

Post by Jimbo »

Hey Cack,

EC-1118 is a very reliable, clean fermenting yeast. It starts up easily and has a high alcohol tolerance (keep the ABV low, but having a high tolerance means it wont throw any crap in your drink at all at our lower ABV's).

71B-1122 adds fruity esters of its own, so its said to enhance the fruit flavors. Thats not a bad thing, but in doing so it covers up the natural fruit flavors of whatever your fermenting. If the fruit flavor is subtle, like apples, it will tend to hide the apple. But for cider it will give a little more flavor. Also, for cider it will metabolize malic acid, so makes a smoother, less astringent/tart, cider. For brandy I kinda like the 1118, and working to bring the apple itself forward. For brandy the extra fruity esters in 1122 makes cuts tougher, and just generally makes finding the apple in your cuts hard.

My advice is to start with 1118 until your comfortable and familiar with finding that apple. Then branch out with that foundation.

Last couple years Ive been doing multiple batches each with different yeast. Then blending for both cider and brandy. I do keep some of the cider seperate for tasting purposes. If we ever meet Ill be happy to bring a box full of bottles.
Jimbo
retired

Jimbo's Apple Thread

Post by Jimbo »

Bit stumped here. :crazy:

I ran 13 gallons of cider that D47 yeast chewed down to 0.998, ABV about 7% (or about 1.4 gallon at 65%). I only collected 2.1 qts keep cut at 65% and 1.5 quarts heads and tails, feints to rerun later. I ran until the boiler was at 211, and deep into cloudy tails.

So I only pulled 1/2 of what I should have, and my keep cut worked out to 57 lbs apples per 80 proof bottle, double the norm. Where the f* is my brandy. No column leaks, nothing smelled out of the ordinary, ran it deep. :crazy: This is making my head hurt. Wasnt likkered up doing stupid shit, like putting jars in places that I forgot about.

Gonna run the 71B-1122 batch next. Hope to hell this mystery brandy vacuum doesnt show up again.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Jimbo's Apple Thread

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Jimbo wrote:Hey Cack,

EC-1118 is a very reliable, clean fermenting yeast. It starts up easily and has a high alcohol tolerance (keep the ABV low, but having a high tolerance means it wont throw any crap in your drink at all at our lower ABV's).

71B-1122 adds fruity esters of its own, so its said to enhance the fruit flavors. Thats not a bad thing, but in doing so it covers up the natural fruit flavors of whatever your fermenting. If the fruit flavor is subtle, like apples, it will tend to hide the apple. But for cider it will give a little more flavor. Also, for cider it will metabolize malic acid, so makes a smoother, less astringent/tart, cider. For brandy I kinda like the 1118, and working to bring the apple itself forward. For brandy the extra fruity esters in 1122 makes cuts tougher, and just generally makes finding the apple in your cuts hard.

My advice is to start with 1118 until your comfortable and familiar with finding that apple. Then branch out with that foundation.

Last couple years Ive been doing multiple batches each with different yeast. Then blending for both cider and brandy. I do keep some of the cider seperate for tasting purposes. If we ever meet Ill be happy to bring a box full of bottles.
I'll be looking forward to that and thanks for the info on the yeast.
Jimbo
retired

Jimbo's Apple Thread

Post by Jimbo »

OK, running the 71B-1122. Its at 0.998 now also, and in the boiler. Wish me better luck this time.....
Jimbo
retired

Jimbo's Apple Thread

Post by Jimbo »

S-Cackalacky wrote:
Jimbo wrote: I do keep some of the cider seperate for tasting purposes. If we ever meet Ill be happy to bring a box full of bottles.
I'll be looking forward to that and thanks for the info on the yeast.
Here's some 2013 3 differnet yeasts, and 2015 (3 1/2 weeks old) 2 diff so far. Not quite settled yet, you can see why I age cider nice and long. The older stuff is crystal clear, aside from the bubbles caused by me breaking the seal to let any pressure off.
IMG_20151110_8702.jpg
cranky
Master of Distillation

Jimbo's Apple Thread

Post by cranky »

Mine looks the same after a year as well, nice and clear and the flavor changes dramatically.

That's strange about the results of the D-47, I wonder what happened? Now I am interested to see the results I get, I'm thinking I may run the 1122 this week or the wild ferment but really want to give them a bit more time but am getting impatient. I have one more yeast I want to try again, Safales S-04. One of the cider sites I found while researching there was a guy did tests of different yeasts and that was one of his favorites but I tried it last year and it was very slow to start so if I ever try it again I will go with a starter and get a good colony built up before pitching in the carboy.
Jimbo
retired

Jimbo's Apple Thread

Post by Jimbo »

I dont think it was the D47. I honestly dont have a clue what happened. Im about 1.5 quarts into this 1122 run. Lets see if it peters out on me early again. Check back in an hour or 2.
Jimbo
retired

Re: Jimbo's Apple Thread

Post by Jimbo »

This thread started off as a description of my apple scratter build, but over the past years has been where I post all my apple cider and brandy related ferments, runs, experiments etc. I asked Halfbaked to rename the thread as such, thanks buddy!

I ran the 71B-1122 batch yesterday. The yield was better than the D47 run, but I cheated a little. Running a 2 plate flute, when the vapor temp at the condensor started to rise, I turned up the defleg water a little, increasing reflux, slowing down the output, lowering the vapor temp and cleaning up the last of the run. I pulled 2 1/2 quarts keep this time and 1 quart feints. Still lower than I ever got before on a pot off 13 gallons of cider, but headin in the right direction. When I do the all feints run after the 1118 batch is finished, I'll see where I stand overall but looking higher than 28 lbs apples per 80proof bottle. More soon.

Jimbo
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Interesting Jimbo. I found running the apple on my flute made it difficult to find the apple flavor because everything was so compressed. I'm hoping I have the flute all figured out now so I think I will have a good outcome this year.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

The flute is definitely a new girl with new hot buttons to figure out. but worth the effort, just like with a new girl :moresarcasm:

I ran the first quart into several jars. Maybe 3-4 oz per. Found the cutover, touchier and tighter than an old school gal, but its there if you zoom in like that.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

That's how I collect. 1/4 pints which is 4oz, it should be less when I run too slow and take off at 94% as long as I can get it dialed in under 90% I do pretty well but the takeoff is very fast.

You are right about compressing the tails. The last time I ran I got a lot extra by paying attention to when the tails started and managed to re-stabilize and get a lot of extra hearts.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

OK, the 2015 Apple runs are done, 3 15gal ferments with different yeasts, plus an all feints run done by adding all the feints (w/o fores) to 6 gallon of hot backset from the 1118 run.

Keep Cuts:
13g D-47 2.1 quarts 64% (WTF ??? :crazy: ) This one is a mystery. No idea what happened.
13g 71B-1122 2.5 quarts 79%
14g EC-1118 3.2 quarts 80%
All Feints Run 1.3 quarts 81%

All said and done my keep this year worked out to 21 1/2 fifths at 80 proof from 40 g cider and 695 lbs apples.
32.5 lbs apples per 80 proof fifth this year. Another 100 lbs went to 5 gal of cider I have in carboy blended from all 3 yeasts.

I have another 300 lbs of apples in boxes but frankly Im done with apples for the year now. Anyone want em? Next up Panela rum and Wheat Single Malt.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

samples.JPG
Samples samples. Anyone keep things to taste and compare? I have a few dozen of these 1/2 liter jars. Work great for keeping samples of this and that.

Any of you cider heads ever around Chicago holler and we'll crack these for tastings.

All Apple

Left to right.
3 ciders from 3 different yeasts - 2015
3 brandy's from those ciders, still white (ok fine, eau de vie)
All feints run.
Apple Brandy 2012 aged on apple wood
3 Brandys 2013 from 3 different yeasts, aged seperately on oak
All feints run 2013 aged on oak
2012 Apple Brandy (the stuff I bottle)
2013 Apple Brandy (the stuff I bottle)
3 Ciders from 3 different yeasts - 2013
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

what happened in '14? was it really good? or really bad? :think:
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

haha, I skipped 14, I forget if there was no apples, or the weather was shitty, or maybe I just didnt giveafuckenough to get my ass in gear. 11 was mighty fine tho, and got dranked up fast.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I think you said the tree didn't produce last year.
Good deal this year tho :thumbup: Hope mine comes out well this year. I should be ready to run when I have 2 weeks off in December. I'm curious to see if my D-47 run has the same problem you had.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Jimbo wrote:Anyone want em?
:wave:
Damn, I've been wanting to get to them apples since, when, August??
Work has me shackled to a deadline of End Of November. If those apples hold up till then, or not, either way, I'm prolly headed over your way!

You and Cranky have a maniacal passion for juicy juice that is beautiful to behold.
The fact that you've been doing it for over 2 decades is officially a life quest for the sublime apple brandy, cheers!
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Not gonna happen. Cant do it. Done for the year! Damn it. 800 lbs of apples cleaned, ground, pressed, fermented on 3 different yeasts, ran through the flute, ready for the barrel, scratter and press cleaned and put away for the year. I looked at these boxes of apples with a sad heart, about 300 lbs and was picking them up to haul them to the compost. Cant do it.

So I broke out the gear and turned these sweet babies
IMG_20151118_24679.jpg
Into this :D
IMG_20151118_44408.jpg
Ill press them this weekend.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Damn Jimbo, you got it worse than Cranky.