Booner's Casual All Corn

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Fingermonster
Novice

Re: Booner's Casual All Corn

Post by Fingermonster »

I'm going to try this recipe exactly as it was originally posted. My enzymes should be arriving Friday, I was just confused about the purpose of the different temperature ranges. Also I havent seen it posted anywhere on this topic but can I use malted corn for this? I know malting releases enzymes for the yeast to interact with which is also the purpose of adding the glucoamylase and alpha amylase. Is there no need to malt since we are adding the enzymes?
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Fingermonster wrote:...I was just confused about the purpose of the different temperature ranges...I know malting releases enzymes for the yeast...Is there no need to malt since we are adding the enzymes?
Every enzyme needs different conditions...the enzymes have nothing to do with the yeast...uses this recipe malted grains? No. So it need no malted grains.
You should learn many basics before mashing. There is also something on the parent site. But on the other hand, mashing with enzymes is easy. Follow exactly the protocol and it will work. But before mashing with malt and without adding enzymes, you had to read much more.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

@Fingermonster I would start out with a few birdwatchers or one of the cereal washes.... do 4 or 5 of those get your rig and it's operation down where they turn out the same almost every run... Learn CUTS! Learn CUTS! then
Learn CUTS! a little later give maybe a UJSM or a sweet feed a run or 5.....

Then do the booners...

Happy Stillin,

FS
Last edited by FullySilenced on Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fingermonster
Novice

Post by Fingermonster »

Thanks FullySilenced & der wo

I guess I might have more work to do than I originally thought. I'm loving doing the research and making the rig that I may have bit off more than I could chew! :shock:
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

Baby Steps.... slow and steady wins the race... or at least it did for the tortoise
Mashmonster
Novice

Post by Mashmonster »

How big of a fermenter do I need for this bill? Can I fit it in a 5-6 gallon ferment pails? Thanks in advance!
WIski
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WIski »

You need to figure this out on your own......

The recipe states "1.8 lbs. cracked corn per gallon straight from the bag."

Do the math for your fermenter you have or will get...and leave 20% extra space for foam and stuff.
Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kegg_jam »

Technically, yes you can scale to fit in a 5 or 6 gallon bucket.

But I can save you the trouble and say your gonna want to go bigger sooner rather than later.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Mashmonster wrote:Can I fit it in a 5-6 gallon ferment pails?
Yep, you can fit any size mash you want in 5-6 gallon pails, just get enough pails.
I have a 6-bucket system, and I can do about 50# of grains at a time, splitting it up into the 6 buckets for mashing.
After mashing I do dump in all into a large fermenter, though.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
njurbanshiner
Novice

Post by njurbanshiner »

Just finished this mash this morning with 3 gallons (6lbs of grits) at 1.074 OG. Passed my iodine test, aerated, pitched my yeast. Hopefully all goes well with my little yeasty friends and either Thursday or Friday I'm running! Thanks for the recipe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
singlemaltluv
Novice

Post by singlemaltluv »

I have a question for those who are controlling or lowering their Ph with backseat. Are you including the backseat into the total calculation of the mash such as if you are using 2# corn per gallon of water, do you use 4 gallons of water then 1 gallon of backseat to make a total of 5 gallons of liquids? (example only not real calculation for backseat) If not can you explain your protocol. Thanks in advance
singlemaltluv
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Backset from AG has a meausarable amount of unfermented sugars, even if the SG of the mash dropped to 1.000. I once measured the SG of the backset of a FG 1.000 mash: It had 1.020. So when you use 25% backset (100l mash contain 25l backset), you will have instead of SG 1.060 perhaps 1.065. So if you want to have 1.060, you have to lower the grain bill, because the unfermented sugar gets fermentable during the mashing.
Measuring the total alcohol of the low wines confirmed my calculation. When using backset, I always get out more alcohol than calculated from the grains.

Btw: Using 25% backset will lower the pH much. The liquid alpha-amylase will not work properly. Shells (calcium carbonate) will not rise it enough, you need a stronger pH riser. Or add the backset after the alpha-amylase rest. Here a thread about backset and pH:
http://ww.homedistiller.org/forum/viewt ... 15&t=59291" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
singlemaltluv
Novice

Post by singlemaltluv »

Thanks Der Wu that is an interesting read, also surprised to see that shed do his whiskey by adding backset to his finished product for aging just as Buccaneer Bob do for his rum. Love this forum because one question may lead to another answer. My question in the above post is that if backset is added to lower Ph is it included into the calculations of the liquid for the mash. Such in the case if a recipe call for 5 gallons of water. Do you use 4 gallons of water for mashing and 1 gallon to come up to volume and to control Ph for the 2nd enzyme addition.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

If a recipe is for 5gal water, you can use 4gal water and 1gal backset. It will lower the pH and rise a bit the SG. So perhaps do something against a too low pH and perhaps lower your amount of grain a bit.
If you want to add the backset before the second enzyme, the mash will be thicker before, because you use only 4 instead of 5 gal water. I vote for pH correction, because it's always good to have remaining activity of the alpha-amylase. But that's not a very important detail here, because mashing with liquid enzymes is much easier than with malt only.
4gal water + 1gal backset is more than a pH correction. If you only want to correct the pH, you will use much less backset.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

der wo wrote:4gal water + 1gal backset is more than a pH correction. If you only want to correct the pH, you will use much less backset.
+1, I can usually get into the right pH range for the SebAmyl by adding a pint of backset to about 5 gallons of mash.

Yes, you figure the amount of backset into the total water for the recipe. Because I'm only using backset to adjust pH, and it's only a pint, it really doesn't make much difference to overall mash volume either way.
Keep in mind that adding the backset at the beginning might push the pH too low for the high-temp enzymes, the lower pH is needed more for the second addition of enzymes, the SebAmyl.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
singlemaltluv
Novice

Post by singlemaltluv »

MichiganCornhusker wrote: Yes, you figure the amount of backset into the total water for the recipe. Because I'm only using backset to adjust pH, and it's only a pint, it really doesn't make much difference to overall mash volume either way.
Keep in mind that adding the backset at the beginning might push the pH too low for the high-temp enzymes, the lower pH is needed more for the second addition of enzymes, the SebAmyl.
This is exactly the answer that I was looking for sorry it is hard to be clear over typed words, which is why I said in my first post that the 4 gallons of water to one gallon of backset was only an example. Thanks Der Wo and MCH
DeepSouth
Swill Maker

Post by DeepSouth »

In my distillery. I use about 10 gallons of backset total in a 250 gallon batch. 5 gallons of backset during the high temp cooking of corn using high temp alpha amylase, and an additional 5 gallons to lower the pH for the addition of malt or beta amylase. The suggestion of 1-2 pints per 5 gallons of mash is almost the same ratio I use.
Rich Grain Distilling Co., DSP-MS-20003
http://www.richdistilling.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
https://www.facebook.com/richgraindistillingco/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

Where are you guys getting the enzymes for this recipe?
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
njurbanshiner
Novice

Post by njurbanshiner »

Hound Dog wrote:Where are you guys getting the enzymes for this recipe?
I got mine from Amazon:

SpiritCraft Liquid Alpha Amylase + Glucoamylase Enzyme Kit (2oz) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DAM49I8/re ... WxbY79BJ6H" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Keep in mind that the temperatures on these are different than what Booner says. Follow the instructions on to enzymes. I've been successful with them--have fun and be safe!!
Last edited by acfixer69 on Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed advertisement
WIski
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WIski »

Where are you guys getting the enzymes for this recipe?
Enzymash.......https://enzymash.biz/index.php?route=common/home" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

Thanks guys.
Using Google Search

Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

Got my first all grain going now. This was pretty easy. I didn't have a scale so I split a 50# bag evenly between with 5 gallon buckets dumping it in my two 20 gallon brute trashcans. Then added half a bucket of rolled oats to each one and about 17 gallons of boiling water. Iodine read good. Hydrometer read 6 percent. We'll see what this tastes like.
Using Google Search

kekedog13
Bootlegger

Post by kekedog13 »

Big 10-4 on the enzymash ! Iv''e used it in many recipes, great stuff! It's amazing how little it takes to do the job. Highly recommended.
Yahoo Mountain Dew ! It'll Tickle You're Innards !
Fart Vader
Swill Maker

Post by Fart Vader »

Hound Dog wrote:Got my first all grain going now. This was pretty easy. I didn't have a scale so I split a 50# bag evenly between with 5 gallon buckets dumping it in my two 20 gallon brute trashcans. Then added half a bucket of rolled oats to each one and about 17 gallons of boiling water. Iodine read good. Hydrometer read 6 percent. We'll see what this tastes like.
The rolled oats are a great addition.
My second last batch was the same as you did. My best tasting drop so far. :ebiggrin:
My double walled boiler build: The Mashimizer. viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64980
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

Fart Vader wrote:
Hound Dog wrote:Got my first all grain going now. This was pretty easy. I didn't have a scale so I split a 50# bag evenly between with 5 gallon buckets dumping it in my two 20 gallon brute trashcans. Then added half a bucket of rolled oats to each one and about 17 gallons of boiling water. Iodine read good. Hydrometer read 6 percent. We'll see what this tastes like.
The rolled oats are a great addition.
My second last batch was the same as you did. My best tasting drop so far. :ebiggrin:
That's great to hear. Should rack it off this weekend. Didn't take long for the 6% to ferment out.
Using Google Search

thumper123
Swill Maker

Post by thumper123 »

Fingermonster wrote:I'm going to try this recipe exactly as it was originally posted. My enzymes should be arriving Friday, I was just confused about the purpose of the different temperature ranges. Also I havent seen it posted anywhere on this topic but can I use malted corn for this? I know malting releases enzymes for the yeast to interact with which is also the purpose of adding the glucoamylase and alpha amylase. Is there no need to malt since we are adding the enzymes?
No, no malt is needed. However you may want to try adding a little somewhere down the line in your developemnt for nothing other than the taste it imparts. I like it - you may not. I use 15% by volume of malts to include thirds of wheat, barley and rye. Malt is an expensive way to sacchrify as opposed to enzymes. I use enzymes from Mile High, and they have specific directions as I'm sure yours do. Stick to them. I've found that PH is an important factor, and in mine two PH levels are used.
thatguy1313
Distiller

Post by thatguy1313 »

The yeast don't interact with the enzymes. The enzymes break down the starches in the grains and turn them into fermentable sugars. The yeast interact the sugars and produce alcohol. The only reason you would add malted anything to this recipe is for taste. The liquid enzymes replace the need for malted grains.
No, officer, I wasn't distilling alcohol! It was probably that guy!

Important information for new distillers
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

Ok, I see why you guys are always trying to come up its a better way to press the liquid from the mash with all grain. I didn't expect it to expand and take up 3/4 of the fermenter :D. I used some burlap and the mop strainer since I have one that was only once used to clean up a flooded basement. If this turns out as good as you guys say I will need to make a better system though. Set half the spent grain out for the deer and left the other half in the fermenters. Picked up a couple bags of sugar to make a sugarhead with tomorrow. I have the Booner's clearing in some buckets to run next week.
Using Google Search

Hank Reardon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hank Reardon »

I am now in the middle of batch 4 of Booners. Man, I think Pintoshine should be inducted into a hall of fame or something. His product is forgiving, and makes me nicer.

To start, I screwed up. I ended up grinding up a glass thermometer on the mixer and pitched the batch as it was around 180F. Some will judge that as a bad thing, but glass is a bad thing too. I didn't want it in my fermenter, my press, my boiler, or anywhere else other than where it was.

Anyway, I moved on from that, and had a 2nd bag of feed corn on hand, so I put in another 20 gallons of water, added 50LB of rolled corn, and heated it up to 200F. On the way, I added 19ml Sebstar HTL. I held it there for a few hours, ate some dinner, visited with the wife, watched the news, etc. Certain that the world of science did not need a witness, I took for granted that all happened as it should. I then pulled the mixer, the heat, and began the pH adjustment/cooling process. After an all nighter, the BOP was down to 150F+/-. I added the glucoamalayse and let it set for the rest of today. I took an SG of the clear, and ended at a 1.056, and that was in around a now 25 gallon mash. I was pretty happy with that.

The mash smells great, the process is very straightforward, and is readily usable for folks when they are willing. Can't wait to have more aging...maybe they will be Santa presents.
wtfdskin
Swill Maker

Post by wtfdskin »

Im going to give this a go as my first AG. Im building a BOP from a 15.5 gal keg. Having a drain valve welded in the bottom. How thick of a goo will i end up with when finished and ready to drain into the fermenter? Will a 1" or 1.5" drain be big enough. I assume it flows good if converted properly?
Last edited by acfixer69 on Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed advertisement