Whole Rice from the farmer

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

shadylane
Master of Distillation

Whole Rice from the farmer

Post by shadylane »

The rice harvest is getting close and I'd like to experiment.
Has anyone used whole rice to make a mash?
Either malted or ground up whole and converted with enzymes?
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Re: Whole Rice from the farmer

Post by shadylane »

From my limited research it appears malted rice is very low in diastic power.
And only polished rice is used when converting with koji
Grinding polished rice and converting with enzymes has been covered before,
But what about grinding whole grain rice and converting with enzymes?
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

I mashe brown rice using wheat malt for conversion. The mash smelled just like fresh baked gingersnap cookies. Don't remember the flavour of it though it. The strip ended up in a 9grain blend.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

I'm in the middle of a rice run right now.
I picked up a bunch of long grain white rice cheap and it has made a great fermentation.

I ground it twice through my corona and then cooked it with SebStar overnight.
Mashed it with SebAmyl and got great conversion and it fermented very dry.

I stripped it tonight and the low wines just kept coming.

Does the rice you're talking about still have the husk or hull on it? I would think that would help with sparging but be a pain for grinding.

If you can get your hands on some cheap rice though, I say go for it.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Yes the rice still has the husk on.
I can get rice cheaply, straight from the farmers. All I need is a shovel :lol:
Figure to do it the same as MCH, grind the whole grain rice, cook with steam and convert with enzymes.
What I'm really hoping for, is the hulls from the rice forming a bed, so I can lauder the mash.
I don't know how well this experiment is going to work :roll:
If this is a workable idea, why isn't it commonly done :?:
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

shadylane wrote:If this is a workable idea, why isn't it commonly done
After just doing this with whole grain rice, no husks, I can say that the rice was the hardest, toughest thing I've ever put through my corona.
And that was just rice, not sure how that would work out with hulls in there to cushion the grinders.
It was like grinding up silica sand. The first pass I felt like I was lucky to break the rice into 3 or 4 pieces, the second pass got me down to something more like couscous. I think. I'm not even really sure what couscous is.

Even at that, after a overnight cooking with high temp enzymes and 190F water the rice wasn't really "cooked", it was still more crunchy than firm. Damn tasty though. I still got great conversion and yield though, not complaining.

Other thing is, I'm not sure I've ever seen rice for sale with the husks on. You're right though, the hulls would make an excellent filter bed for sparging.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:not sure how that would work out with hulls in there to cushion the grinders.
The hulls do a good job of protecting the rice from the grinder. :lol:
It took 3 passes through the burr grinder before I was happy with the grind.
But the hulls got torn up, so I'm not sure how much that will effect the lautering.
Swashbuckler
Novice

Post by Swashbuckler »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:
After just doing this with whole grain rice, no husks, I can say that the rice was the hardest, toughest thing I've ever put through my corona.
And that was just rice, not sure how that would work out with hulls in there to cushion the grinders.
It was like grinding up silica sand. The first pass I felt like I was lucky to break the rice into 3 or 4 pieces, the second pass got me down to something more like couscous. I think. I'm not even really sure what couscous is.

I've been doing rice mashes pretty regularly and I don't grind them at all any more as long as its hull less I get really good conversion
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

ive done white rice from the grocery store a couple times with pretty good success with the "no cook " method.

fermented dry, i used bakers yeast. after a strip and spirit run the hearts where very clean and light like a rice " vodka" . im sure if sent it through one more time in my pot it would be a vodka at that point.

id definetaly do it again. it would be a great mash for someone with a reflux still looking for a very clean vodka .

havent played with brown rice.

i can see how the wheat malt would be a nice addion
bigbone32
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bigbone32 »

I realize this is a year old post but can you tell me how much rice per gal of water you used?
Thanks.

Even at that, after a overnight cooking with high temp enzymes and 190F water the rice wasn't really "cooked", it was still more crunchy than firm. Damn tasty though. I still got great conversion and yield though, not complaining.

Other thing is, I'm not sure I've ever seen rice for sale with the husks on. You're right though, the hulls would make an excellent filter bed for sparging.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

bigbone32 wrote:I realize this is a year old post but can you tell me how much rice per gal of water you used?
Thanks.

Same as any other grain, i can remember reading over on the parent site ages ago thats it's pretty much the same starch content as barley possible a bit higher
Don't be a dick
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

bigbone32 wrote:I realize this is a year old post but can you tell me how much rice per gal of water you used?
I honestly can't tell you what I had for supper :lol:
But I'm guessing 2 pounds per gallon was used.
bigbone32
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bigbone32 »

Thanks fellas.
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

> it's pretty much the same starch content as barley possible a bit higher

Rice is 90%+ starch so a good mashing protocol will yield impressive OG numbers.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn