New Website Just Went Live

Place for craft/micro distillers in all stages of build to show and share.

Moderator: Site Moderator

DeepSouth
Swill Maker

New Website Just Went Live

Post by DeepSouth »

Hey y'all, my distillery's website just went live for the first time. Y'all check it out and let me know what you think. I'm always looking for constructive criticism. There's a few bugs I already know about that we're fixing right now.

http://www.richdistilling.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Rich Grain Distilling Co., DSP-MS-20003
http://www.richdistilling.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
https://www.facebook.com/richgraindistillingco/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: New Website Just Went Live

Post by Mikey-moo »

DeepSouth wrote:Hey y'all, my distillery's website just went live for the first time. Y'all check it out and let me know what you think. I'm always looking for constructive criticism. There's a few bugs I already know about that we're fixing right now.

1) The age verification box on page 1 says enter your age... when it's really my date of birth.

Actually aside from that I think it's great :-)
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
DeepSouth
Swill Maker

Post by DeepSouth »

Thanks Mikey, yeah that part needs some work. I don't think it's storing cookies properly because it doesn't remember that I've been to the site and keeps asking me to put in birthday
https://www.facebook.com/richgraindistillingco/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Aitchh
Novice

Post by Aitchh »

Looks nice Rich. Sweet site, short and simple. Your building looks great too. Does MS allow for you to sell direct to consumer? Seems state laws are changing to help craft distillers. Keep on!

-Aitch
DeepSouth
Swill Maker

Post by DeepSouth »

Aitchh wrote:Looks nice Rich. Sweet site, short and simple. Your building looks great too. Does MS allow for you to sell direct to consumer? Seems state laws are changing to help craft distillers. Keep on!

-Aitch
No, unfortunately we can't sell direct to the customer in Mississippi. We have the state ABC that is the middleman. I have to ship cases to them and then liquor stores by from the state, then end consumer buys from the liquor store. I also can only pour little straight 1/4 oz samples on tours in the tasting room. I can't make or sell cocktails. Working on getting a bill for this next session of the legislature to address those issues. We're not only at a disadvantage to distilleries in other states, but the state alcohol laws aren't equitable between distilleries, wineries, and breweries.

In the next few weeks I'll have a buy now tab on the website that will take you to a third party online liquor store in Washington DC that can ship straight to the consumer.
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

DeepSouth wrote:
Aitchh wrote:Looks nice Rich. Sweet site, short and simple. Your building looks great too. Does MS allow for you to sell direct to consumer? Seems state laws are changing to help craft distillers. Keep on!

-Aitch
No, unfortunately we can't sell direct to the customer in Mississippi. We have the state ABC that is the middleman. I have to ship cases to them and then liquor stores by from the state, then end consumer buys from the liquor store. I also can only pour little straight 1/4 oz samples on tours in the tasting room. I can't make or sell cocktails. Working on getting a bill for this next session of the legislature to address those issues. We're not only at a disadvantage to distilleries in other states, but the state alcohol laws aren't equitable between distilleries, wineries, and breweries.

In the next few weeks I'll have a buy now tab on the website that will take you to a third party online liquor store in Washington DC that can ship straight to the consumer.
If they could ship internationally that would be awesome...
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

One item that jumped out at me on you About page was the sentence:
I’m not a descendant in a long lineage of former distillers, or someone who was a former bootlegger turned legal like you may read about (dubiously) in a biography of other distilleries.
Which, to be historically accurate, should read:
I’m not a descendant in a long lineage of former distillers, or someone who was a former bootlegger moonshiner turned legal like you may read about (dubiously) in a biography of other distilleries.
Moonshiners made moonshine and bootleggers hauled moonshine...
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Wish you luck with your distillery :thumbup:
Can we pick your brain :?: :lol:
DeepSouth
Swill Maker

Post by DeepSouth »

Sure Shadylane, I'm an open book. I'll be happy to share my experiences, good and bad.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

DeepSouth wrote:Sure Shadylane, I'm an open book. I'll be happy to share my experiences, good and bad.
Do you mash your Bourbon with added enzymes or do you spent the extra time to manage with the 17% malted barley in your grain bill?

I don't see a still. Is it a continuous still? Or potstills and thumpers?
Edit: Ok, found the thread about your still.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

You started to run the still in February and in Oktober you can sell Bourbon?
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
DeepSouth
Swill Maker

Post by DeepSouth »

My mash protocol works like this: I do 250 gallon batches with 500 lbs of grain. Start with 200 gallons of water and 2.5 gallons of backset. Add 333 lbs corn, Sebstar HTL, and heat until @185-190 F. Hold for 1 hour at 185-190. I immediately add 84 lbs of malt and 84 lbs of rye or wheat. Temp drops a few degrees. Add & gallons of backset and cook through looking jacket until about 145-150 F. Add SebAmyl GL and hold for one hour. Cool through cooling jacket until about 90-95 F. Pitch 250 grams DADY. Ferments run 4 or 5 days and start at about 1.065. I get about 8.5% in ferment and off a 250 gallon batch I yield about 20 gallons of pure alcohol on my strip. Usually strip about 80 gallons down to 25% total ABV, do that three times, then spirit run.
DeepSouth
Swill Maker

Post by DeepSouth »

My first bourbon in my 15 gallon barrels will be released potentially next fall or winter, and will be 1.5-2 years old
magnum49
Novice

Post by magnum49 »

I really enjoyed your site everything's is pretty easy to find, keep up the hard work as you can always find things to improve on
Last edited by acfixer69 on Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed unwanted advertisment
varocketry
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by varocketry »

Rich:

Site looks good. Recommend re-shooting that little video on your main page, below the fold, as it's too dark and the audio is bad. A couple lamps and a $3 lavellier mic from Amazom will fix you right up.
-Just need something else to build. -
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

rad14701 wrote:One item that jumped out at me on you About page was the sentence:
I’m not a descendant in a long lineage of former distillers, or someone who was a former bootlegger turned legal like you may read about (dubiously) in a biography of other distilleries.
I’m not a descendant in a long lineage of former distillers, or someone who was a former bootlegger moonshiner turned legal like you may read about (dubiously) in a biography of other distilleries.
And if ya did both? :mrgreen: Nice site
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
xyz123
Novice

Post by xyz123 »

Cool site, a few things that I was left wondering about;

a) The price

&

b) Where I can buy it?
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

I didn't no Mississippi was the first in prohibition .
Yup like tatter say , some done both. Some place that name was a catch all.

So I'm tole
DeepSouth
Swill Maker

Post by DeepSouth »

varocketry wrote:Rich:

Site looks good. Recommend re-shooting that little video on your main page, below the fold, as it's too dark and the audio is bad. A couple lamps and a $3 lavellier mic from Amazom will fix you right up.
Thanks for the tips on the video. I didn't shoot it, one of the local newspapers did for their website and let me have a copy.
DeepSouth
Swill Maker

Post by DeepSouth »

xyz123 wrote:Cool site, a few things that I was left wondering about;

a) The price

&

b) Where I can buy it?
Here in the next couple of weeks I'll have a link to an online third party liquor store where customers can buy my stuff. I do have a page on the site with a list of all the liquor stores around here that stock my products. My stuff generally retails in Mississippi for about $23-25 depending on the individual liquor store
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Congratulations...Very nice business, equipment, and site.
You've used my three P's...Patience, Preparation, and Pride.
Very good luck to ya'll.

Tater, we call em 'one man gang' around here. :mrgreen:
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

DeepSouth wrote:

-Aitch

Good to see more Mississippi brothers on here, Your living the dream of us South Mississippi moonshiners free of mosquitoes and looking over your shoulder. God speed! One day I'm gonna get out of this swamp long enough to ride up.
"Virtute et armis" By valor and arms

Let's keep our country free as God has given us.

"Give me Liberty or Give me Death."
Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

Tater wrote:
rad14701 wrote:One item that jumped out at me on you About page was the sentence:
And if ya did both? :mrgreen: Nice site
Those bootleggers are a necessity though, as it keeps folks away from the secrets of the still. Only a fool moonshines AND bootlegs. You might as well get caught with cocaine if you get caught distilling booze in Mississippi. I can remember when they asked potential Jurrors on Jury duty if they have ever been caught making or selling moonshine, and that's no joke.

Most Mississippi familys that had a still ran a type of family operation. Grandad may have been the master shiner but uncle or cousin would be the bootlegger. Grandpappy never sold shit, he just did his thing and licked his fingers.

Shine on
"Virtute et armis" By valor and arms

Let's keep our country free as God has given us.

"Give me Liberty or Give me Death."
mystakilla
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by mystakilla »

Nice simple site man, congrats!
varocketry
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by varocketry »

Bourbon production rules:

1. It must be made in the United States. Contrary to popular belief, it doesn't have to be made in Kentucky, although 95 percent of the world's supply is.
2. Aging must take place in a new, charred, oak barrel. Bourbon must be aged for at least two years. Two years is considered a straight bourbon.
3. The mash must be at least 51 percent corn.
4. The whiskey cannot enter the barrel at higher than 125 proof. It cannot enter the bottle at a proof less than 80.
5. Nothing can be added but water and only to lessen the proof when necessary.
-Just need something else to build. -
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

varocketry wrote:Bourbon production rules:

1. It must be made in the United States. Contrary to popular belief, it doesn't have to be made in Kentucky, although 95 percent of the world's supply is.
2. Aging must take place in a new, charred, oak barrel. Bourbon must be aged for at least two years. Two years is considered a straight bourbon.This is the only incorrect part. Bourbon does not have a minimum time on oak. Although rather extreme, 1 second constitutes bourbon. The only stipulation around time is that it must be at least 2 years to be called a straight bourbon. You should see the amount of 6 month bourbons on the market.
3. The mash must be at least 51 percent corn.
4. The whiskey cannot enter the barrel at higher than 125 proof. It cannot enter the bottle at a proof less than 80.
5. Nothing can be added but water and only to lessen the proof when necessary.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
nuntius01
Rumrunner

Post by nuntius01 »

everything seems to work. however, i notice you have a back arrow on a lot of the pics
I'm just the bank and the mule

post your still pics here
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=66917
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

Congratulations on a great start. I loved the part where you busted some other refiners buying and rebottling as their own, about time it was made public.
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else: