Hook Rum

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

GrassHopper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Hook Rum

Post by GrassHopper »

iwine wrote:
GrassHopper wrote:Thanks Der Wo,
I am leaning toward your consensus as well.
Sounds like bad yeast to me or too high of a temp when you pitched your yeast.
I always start with a mixing bowl with about 2 cups of my wash I add 1 pinch epson salt, 1 pinch DAP and 125g of bakers yeast make sure temp is not over 100dF. And watch it grow. This is to make sure the yeast is viable.
You know, I did that. I mixed the yeast (Red Star) in a jar with some of the wash (about 95F), but not epsom salt and no dap. It foamed up quite nice, so I thought it was viable. Temp was 78 F when introduced. Dead next day. Go figure.

I started a new wash as soon as I racked this one off and followed essentially the same model except this time I had the citric acid to start with. Did not add any yeast as the trub was substantial on the bottom of the fermenter. It took off right away and is going crazy as we speak. So, I'm thinking the distillers yeast did the trick and the Red Star was dead, even though it fluffed up (which is puzzling). But whatever. Thanks guys for the input.
Dunderwear
Novice

Post by Dunderwear »

Alright, I've got a question. Read both threads (the locked tried and true one) and this one. I started with an exact copy of this recipe, just cut to a 5gal wash size (split into two boils).

I'm using my little 3gal pot still, and I know the thermometer in the lid is useless. So I'm trying to cut based roughly on ABV. The problem is it seems as though my ABV is WAY off. Here are my cut measurements so far:

1. 175mL - foreshots (120 proof)
2. 200mL - heads (110)
3. 210mL - heads? (100)
4. 200mL - hearts? (93)
5. 200mL - hearts/tails? (70)

These proofs seem low to me, and I'm definitely not good enough yet to cut by smell/taste alone (meaning with the exception of each of the outside glasses, they all smell/taste VERY similar).

Would love your advice - thanks!
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Dunderwear wrote:I'm using my little 3gal pot still...I'm trying to cut based roughly on ABV. The problem is...my ABV is WAY off....Would love your advice!
You can't cut by proof....especially with a 3 gallon boiler. You're running a potstill, so I would expect that you won't collect anything higher than 110-120 proof on the first pass through. Try stripping it and collecting low wines. Dilute to 35-40%ABV and run again. This time, you can make cuts by SMELL and TASTE...not proof.

Dunderwear (catchy screen name you've got), I suggest you read kiwi's guide to cuts to understand about proper cuts a little better.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Dunderwear wrote:Alright, I've got a question. Read both threads (the locked tried and true one) and this one. I started with an exact copy of this recipe, just cut to a 5gal wash size (split into two boils).

I'm using my little 3gal pot still, and I know the thermometer in the lid is useless. So I'm trying to cut based roughly on ABV. The problem is it seems as though my ABV is WAY off. Here are my cut measurements so far:

2. 200mL - heads (110)
3. 210mL - heads? (100)
4. 200mL - hearts? (93)

These proofs seem low to me, and I'm definitely not good enough yet to cut by smell/taste alone (meaning with the exception of each of the outside glasses, they all smell/taste VERY similar).

Now you see how difficult it can be to run a small rig... You need to collect in more smaller volumes... A mere five jars simply isn't enough jars... Double that number and you'll be able to make cuts after airing because you'll never get good enough to make cuts with a small rig on the fly... Your foreshots "cut" was way to big, proportionately...
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

+1 on still Stirrin and Rad's comments. Cuts on a small still are tough, you might want to PM BigBob and ask how he collects but I would say at least double the amount of jars you collect in.
Dunderwear
Novice

Post by Dunderwear »

still_stirrin wrote:
Dunderwear wrote:I'm using my little 3gal pot still...I'm trying to cut based roughly on ABV. The problem is...my ABV is WAY off....Would love your advice!
You can't cut by proof....especially with a 3 gallon boiler. You're running a potstill, so I would expect that you won't collect anything higher than 110-120 proof on the first pass through. Try stripping it and collecting low wines. Dilute to 35-40%ABV and run again. This time, you can make cuts by SMELL and TASTE...not proof.

Dunderwear (catchy screen name you've got), I suggest you read kiwi's guide to cuts to understand about proper cuts a little better.
ss
Fantastic advice! Thanks - I definitely read everything in the "new to" section? But hadn't committed that one to memory yet.

Gave it a read last night and realized that it was written specifically for pot stills. Also, it seems that there are many who feel that double distilling takes out a lot of flavor from the finished product, yet maybe they are working with larger pots or reflux stills, which produce clearer spirits and have better separation. Meaning I should always shoot for double distills on my little peewee pot, as it will have less separation and therefore offer good flavors even a second time around.
Dunderwear
Novice

Post by Dunderwear »

rad14701 wrote:
Dunderwear wrote:Alright, I've got a question. Read both threads (the locked tried and true one) and this one. I started with an exact copy of this recipe, just cut to a 5gal wash size (split into two boils).

2. 200mL - heads (110)
3. 210mL - heads? (100)
4. 200mL - hearts? (93)

Now you see how difficult it can be to run a small rig... You need to collect in more smaller volumes... A mere five jars simply isn't enough jars... Double that number and you'll be able to make cuts after airing because you'll never get good enough to make cuts with a small rig on the fly... Your foreshots "cut" was way to big, proportionately...
Haha absolutely - I didn't note that this was only the first half of the run - I split the wash in half to fit it in the boiler. Still, yeah, I need to collect in much smaller samples, and do the required airing (how are you supposed to just wait patiently with all that fresh juice sitting there?!)
Dunderwear
Novice

Post by Dunderwear »

Bushman wrote:+1 on still Stirrin and Rad's comments. Cuts on a small still are tough, you might want to PM BigBob and ask how he collects but I would say at least double the amount of jars you collect in.
Thank you! I might do that!
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

@Dunderwear Just a suggestion
Your fermenter is 2X bigger than your pot
I'd make at least 2 stripping runs and save every thing but a tiny forshots cut
Stop stripping when the distillate begins to get cloudy or a film appears on top of it.
At this point the total ABV will be around 30 or 40%
Don't forget to rinse the oil and crude out of the condenser,
from the stripping runs, before making the spirit run
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

shadylane wrote:@Dunderwear Just a suggestion
Stop stripping when the distillate begins to get cloudy or a film appears on top of it.
Here's another suggestion, while what Shadylane wrote is definitely good and will work fine I go a bit farther.

With rum anyway, there are good and sometimes great things in the tails.
Just use big jars to collect the stripping run (I use half gallon mason jars), after discarding a small foreshots cut collect everything down to 10 - 15% alcohol.

Here's the reasoning:
It's going to be run again for a spirit run.
There can be good things that only come out near the end of the stripping run.
The plan is to dilute the stripped out spirits before running again.
Measure your proof when you have everything collected and then adjust down to 30% - 35% for your spirit run.
If you need to add anything it's better (for me) to add fresh wash to dilute rather than water, I want the flavor.
Then on your spirit run (or 1.5 run in my case) toss fores, collect in small jars, let it air, then use taste and smell to find your hearts.
Like I said, this is what I do, it's not for everyone - that's why this is such a great site, everyone has a different take on how to do things and most of it is perfectly great!
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
Dunderwear
Novice

Post by Dunderwear »

shadylane wrote:@Dunderwear Just a suggestion
Thank you! That's great advice - I think that was sort of my plan anyway (cutting the stripping run in half), but I like the ease and simplicity of knowing I can just run it all quick and dirty down to the oily fusely goodness!
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

nerdybrewer wrote:
Just use big jars to collect the stripping run (I use half gallon mason jars), after discarding a small foreshots cut collect everything down to 10 - 15% alcohol.....

Here's the reasoning:
Great advice :thumbup:
But the newbie that was asking, has a 3 gallon still :lol:
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

shadylane wrote:
nerdybrewer wrote:
Just use big jars to collect the stripping run (I use half gallon mason jars), after discarding a small foreshots cut collect everything down to 10 - 15% alcohol.....

Here's the reasoning:
He's got room to grow!
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

Dunderwear
Novice

Post by Dunderwear »

You know it!
Dunderwear
Novice

Post by Dunderwear »

nerdybrewer wrote:
shadylane wrote:
nerdybrewer wrote:

Here's the reasoning:
He's got room to grow!
You know it!
Dunderwear
Novice

Post by Dunderwear »

Thank you all SO MUCH. My wife and I sipped on my very first (well, technically second, since it was the first one using backseat from the previous run) spirit run of this last night.

Compliments to the chef - thanks, everyone, for a fantastic recipe! I nuke-aged on toasted chips, and then proofed down to taste. It was great, though I don't much care for aged rum.

So then I took a bit (one 800 ml jar of 62% abv) and tried spicing. Problem was I used orange oil (didn't have the real thing and was too lazy to get it), and I added too much. I added all the spices, shook and nuked, then proofed down to 37% ish. It... wasn't good (too citrusy, not enough vanilla, weak, etc)

So I want to salvage it, and here's what I'm thinking: I can get the spices added again to this jar, minus the oil, and basically overdo it to turn the jar into almost into a "spice bomb" or liqueur of some sort, so I can then use THAT to flavor other overproof jars.

Will that work? Is there anything I can do to salvage my two jars of orange-spice-crap rum?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Dunderwear wrote:... Is there anything I can do to salvage my two jars of orange-spice-crap rum?
Sure....rerun it.

Put into the next run of low wines (you DO have one started, right?). The rerun will strip most of the orange oils out until you get close to the tails. So, watch for them.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Dunderwear
Novice

Post by Dunderwear »

still_stirrin wrote:
Dunderwear wrote:... Is there anything I can do to salvage my two jars of orange-spice-crap rum?
Sure....rerun it.

Put into the next run of low wines (you DO have one started, right?). The rerun will strip most of the orange oils out until you get close to the tails. So, watch for them.
ss
Sure, yeah, I could certainly do that. Just trying to see if I could salvage it another way and turn it into something that is actually palatable and enjoyable, like a liqueur.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Dunderwear wrote:
still_stirrin wrote:
Sure....rerun it.

ss
Sure, yeah, I could certainly do that. Just trying to see if I could salvage it another way and turn it into something that is actually palatable and enjoyable, like a liqueur.
One thing I did for Christmas this year was a chocolate spiced rum liqueur.
I made caramel from a combo of white sugar, panela and vanilla and then I mixed that and extra dark cocoa and heavy cream and added my spiced rum.
Let it sit a while and make sure it's thoroughly mixed in.
A quart of that disappeared very quickly!
Whenever using ingredients with intense flavor always go lightly, you can easily add more but it's difficult to go the other way.
Try leaving a cinnamon stick in a bottle of rum for a while, it very quickly becomes undrinkable. (yes, you know how I figured that out right?)
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

DukeLeto
Novice

Post by DukeLeto »

You mentioned that when spicing your rum a little can go a long way. I just want to attest to that. I just made 10 jars, each 500ml, and spiced each one differently to experiment. For each one I used 1/8 tsp. of things like cinnamon, clove, allspice, ginger, etc. After just a couple hours I gave them a taste and they were very flavourful. Especially with orange zest. 1/8th a tsp. of zest was very strong. I might actually dilute them with my next round.

I also haven't oaked any of them yet. I was doing the spices first, oak second. Could report back if anyone's interested in some tasting notes.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

DukeLeto wrote:You mentioned that when spicing your rum a little can go a long way. I just want to attest to that. I just made 10 jars, each 500ml, and spiced each one differently to experiment. For each one I used 1/8 tsp. of things like cinnamon, clove, allspice, ginger, etc. After just a couple hours I gave them a taste and they were very flavourful. Especially with orange zest. 1/8th a tsp. of zest was very strong. I might actually dilute them with my next round.

I also haven't oaked any of them yet. I was doing the spices first, oak second. Could report back if anyone's interested in some tasting notes.
Of course!
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

A few months ago I diluted to 40% my year old (charred oak barrel) Hook Rum. It sat in Ball jars in the basement untouched since then.
Well the jar of Honey Bear I've been nursing finally went empty, and I decided on that Hook Rum as my next enjoyment.
HOLY HELL THIS RUM IS GOOD! Straight up, too! Highly recommended.
stevethebartender
Novice

Post by stevethebartender »

HookLine wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:15 pm For the spirit run many add some fresh wash to the low wines (typically equal to about 10% of the low wines). It adds extra flavour. The ratio of wash to low wines can be varied to taste. More wash equals stronger flavour.
Does adding dunder from the stripping run also work well or not as good as adding fresh wash?
bluegrass
Novice

Post by bluegrass »

So,

I know we don’t do bigger than 30 gallons here, and that’s cool. However, can someone help me adjust the recipe to a 50gallon recipe. The reason is because my dad, uncle, and myself are wanting to do a run, and I have a heated garage. So I am looking to just use one barrel for all three of us to save space in my garage. We all use keg pot stills so the 55g plastic drum would be enough for all three of us.
To Drink, or not to Drink... That is the question.
cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars »

We don't talk about boiler sizes larger than 30 gallons.
That doesn't mean you can't ferment a couple of 55 gallons drums.

A lot of people with only 5 gallon stills will ferment large batches so they can do many strip runs back to back.

Page one it says this is for 60 liters which is 15.85 gallons. 15.85 * 3 = 47.55 gallons which is close enough.
So basically speaking just multiple everything mentioned by 3 except temperature. :)
Programmer specializing in process control for ExxonMobil (ethanol refinery control), WT, Omron, Bosch, Honeywell & Boeing.
More than a decade working for NASA & FAA Tech with computer code used on Space Shuttles and some airline flight recorders.
bastardbrewer
Bootlegger

Post by bastardbrewer »

Hi guys,

This is my first go at rum and I have read too much different approaches and ideas so decided to mi(s)x match. Running it this weekend and hopefully make it work but looking for the thumbs up on my process below. I have 2x 23 liter ferment of 2.5kg supermarket fancy molasses and 2kg demerara sugar and ordinary bakers yeast mostly accordingly Hook rum recipe. Wash made on 16 December, then went on holiday and only just back so wash is now a lot clearer but still very brown? It puked a bit out the breathing hole on day 1 and at start of day 2, plugged it with a waterlock on end of day 2.

I am using a T500 with copper dome and condenser. I used it for neutrals with the column before, this is my first time with the copper dome and condenser in pot still mode to keep flavour, and chose for a rum as I prefer that over a whiskey (will try whiskey next though).

This is how I intent to still it this Friday and Saturday, which I believe is a mi(s)x match of all the different processes I have read about.
Please keep me straight if you notice any major flaws!

1. Strip 23 ltr of +/- 10%.
- Bin 200 ml FS & Heads and keep couple liter of dunder to add to next strip run.

2. Strip 23 ltr of +/- 10% + couple liter of dunder from step 1.
- Bin 200 ml FS & Heads and keep couple liter of dunder to add to next strip run.

Depending on the ferment, I expect this to produce 7 to 10 liter of about 40 to 45% (I intend to stop collecting when total is thereabouts, also depending on output % at that time).

- Add 1 liter of fresh wash and some dunder to the low wines (approx. 1/3 of the low wines) till low wines are 30 to 35%.

Expect a total of +/- 10 to 14 ltr of low wines of 30-35% including the dunder and fresh wash.

3. Do slow spirit run (limited watts), bin 200ml foreshot & heads, collect remainder in 20 jars, 300ml in each, noting temp & % for each jar for reference and learning).
- Use the dunder for 2x 22 liter new ferments.

4. Leave jars with product to air for 48hrs and smell & taste, decide on hearts and keep late hearts and early tails as feints for the next rum spirit run, binning early hearts and late tails. I know there’s heaps of flavour in those late tails but

5. Hoping on 1.5 to 2 liter of 70%, to oak with 1 untoasted, 1 medium charred and 1 heavy charred stick for 5 days on 70%, 7 days on 60% and xx days on 50% (not sure how long, will go by taste).

6. Glass age for 2 to 4 months with regular taster (limited to 1 small sip every week so I will be left with a good amount of aged product) and potentially dilute to 40% and have 2.5 liter or so...ish. Molasses is expensive here in Saudi so this batch will have cost about £25 quid but hey ho, keeps me busy and tipsy.

7. Any tips / comments on my intended process?
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

bastardbrewer wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:05 am keep couple liter of dunder to add to next strip run.
Not worth the trouble in my opinion. I did this for my first rum and it was a great way to stretch out the distilling day and waste electricity and water. It does nothing for flavour and it takes precious space from your boiler that could be used for stripping fresh wash.

The same rum is now three and half years old. I take a sample a couple of times per year and remind myself how boring it is.
bastardbrewer
Bootlegger

Post by bastardbrewer »

So you strip a couple, do a spirit run and only re-use the spirit rum dunder, for your next spirit run only?
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

bastardbrewer wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:47 am So you strip a couple, do a spirit run and only re-use the spirit rum dunder, for your next spirit run only?
No. There is no such thing as 'Spirit run dunder'. I think you mean 'feints', but lets not confuse things that have nothing to do with my initial reply.

You were considering leaving some dunder in the pot after each strip. I'm telling you it is a waste of your time because I've tried it and never done it again.
bastardbrewer
Bootlegger

Post by bastardbrewer »

Stripped the first batch of 23 ltr wash today:

SG was 1.085 and FG 0.990, I had it sitting clearing for a couple weeks before racking into boiler.
Ditched 200ml foreshot, collected till 18% at 97 degrees, and kept just under 6 liter low wines of 41%. It smells fruity and funky, green and raw.
Had a couple fingerdips, get quite a bitter undertone. Hope that disappears in the spirit run.

Stripping the same amount tomorrow before combining and completing the spirit run next week, making cuts and aging on toasted oak.
Looking forward to it, keep you updated.