SRD and I

Discussions of fruits, veggies and grains other then just mashing

Moderator: Site Moderator

BayouShine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: SRD and I

Post by BayouShine »

Ok. That make more sense. I was wondering how you were getting that much out of the trub. I know they're not much left after my grains are put into the mop wringer.

Thanks, now back on topic...
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:No more squeezing for me.
I do what TB mentioned, I strain off the ferment, bucket by bucket, through the filter contraption, and then dump the grains into a 5- gal bucket. When I get a half bucket of grains, I add about a gallon of hot tap water and mix them up good and re-strain. Then once more.
By that time the grains have been washed of any goodness and they are pretty dang dry so I just toss them at that point.

This method does add about 15% more water to the collected juice but I don't mind running my still a little bit longer in trade for not needing to squeeze to get all the product out of the grains.

TB & SRD, if you guys end up going this same route, let me know what you think. I'd like to hear if your trub levels are similar, and if you think it's worth it to steam strip it for that extra bit of alcohol.
I know that an easy way to do it is by charging the boiler with clear ferment and running it through the trub in the thumper, but try one batch doing it separately just to see what you think.
We've already discussed this and I've been remiss in getting back here .
If I steam strip in my thumper with solids in the mash I will have to break down the whole rig to load and then unload and clean . Lotta damn work for small reward .
Present plan is to rack , filter and strip all clear liquid without the thumper . Soak leftover grains as you have described and put that filtered liquid in the thumper during the spirit run . If the thumper charge contains 15% of that 25% of likker held in the grains I'm happy with that as opposed to all the breakdown for charging and breakdown for cleaning to steam strip on the grains .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

TB, I don't strip on grain either.
Here is how I do it:

Ladle the ferment out of the Brute with a sauce pan, dumping it through the plastic barrel filter, 400 micron.
When I get about a gallon of grains built up on the filter, I dump them into a 5 gallon bucket.
When I get about a half a bucket of grains, I do the rinsing thing and restrain, then I toss the grains into the trash.
I keep going until I've strained all of the ferment through the filter and separated and disposed of the grains.

At this point I pour the strained ferment into carboys and let it set for at least 2 days.
A lot of stuff falls out of suspension and settles onto the bottoms of the carboys. This muck is what I'm calling trub, it is yeast and fine particles, but not the grains.
In my experience, this stuff only settles so far, to roughly 20-25% of the volume of the carboy.
There's no reason you couldn't just do this back in the brute. I like using carboys because I can watch the progress of the trub settling, and I can see when it stops compacting any further.

I then siphon the clear ferment out of the carboys, leaving the trub behind. So I end up with carboys full of clear ferment and carboys full of trub.
The trub is sort of thick, but still liquid, only very fine solid particles in it. Easy to pour into and drain out of my thumper.

I hope that all makes some sense, let my know if you have any questions.

I hope you don't think I'm trying to tell you guys what to do! I just want to be clear about my method in case you want to try it out.
I agree with you that running grains through the thumper is not worth the mess and hassle.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Truckinbutch wrote:So , today SRD and I cooked another mash Started 22# ground corn and high temp enzyme in 9 gallons of cold water . At 163 degrees it was getting so thick we added another gallon of water . Conversion started just after that and it thinned out well .Cooked at 186 degrees for 90 minutes then cooled to 146 and added low temp enzyme . Held at 147 for 90 minutes . We agreed to only change 1 part of our protocol at a time until we are comfortable with mashing all grain . Eventually we will try some of these less time intensive methods .
we'd sampled the first mash on day 9 . Let it settle for a day and cool to 60 . Fg 0.994 . Ph dropped to less than 4.0 . That batch is cold crashing while we build the second .
That 01/04 mash cooled overnight in the bop and was so thick the next day that I couldn't get an og . Bucketed it into the fermentor and mixed in 6 gallons of clear water . The day following day it had settled enough that I had 6" of clear liquid to sample og from . 1.054 in 16 gallons of liquid . Pretty good conversion , I'd say . Temp was down to 54 degrees in the shop and the mash .
Cooked another 16# of corn in 10 gallons of water and dumped it into the fermenter at 140 degrees . Total barrel evened out at 86 degrees and I pitched yeast and buttoned it up . Pludded in the aquarium heater and headed to bed .
This evening the shop temp was 52 degrees . Water jacket was 91 degrees and mash was 84 . I could hear it working from 6' away without my hearing aids in .
I got a Dr visit in the morning and then I'm gonna start racking and filtering the first ferment . Wednesday I got another Dr visit . Thursday , SRD and I gonna cook .
I get a little fuzzy late in the evenings . If I haven't made something clear enough just ask .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
BayouShine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BayouShine »

If you go by the max yields according to the parent site, you guys are mashing at 94.7% efficiency.

Pretty damn good, I'd say. :thumbup:
spirit run dave
Novice

Post by spirit run dave »

Yea I think we are Tb is great to work with. When we get started ill say" they said do this and we need to change that" he just looks at me and says very gently we will change one thing at a time. Hahaha. Glad I can't read minds........
All things can be worked on...but you can't fix stupid!
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

BayouShine wrote:If you go by the max yields according to the parent site, you guys are mashing at 94.7% efficiency.

Pretty damn good, I'd say. :thumbup:
I think we can deal with that while we are figuring out what the fuck we are doing .
All we know is what we have learned here .
I want to add : I could never conjure a better stillin partner than SRD . He's articulate , willing , and able . We feed off of each other to improve the hobby for all of us .
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Little catch up . Racked the first ag ferment . 11 gallon clearer than anything that I racked off a sugar head . We bailed the start of the cloudy stuff through a paint strainer bag until chunks began showing up . Squeezed the chunks retained by the strainer bag in the mop bucket . Ended with 11 gallons clear for the boiler , 6 or so gallons of milky shit that's settling . Clear racked off that will go in the thumper for our first ag run .
Had about 5 gallons of spent grains from the squeezins . SRD dumped them over in the holler yesterday . This morning there was a boar coon what wanted to fight the garbage man for what was in the bags in the box for his weekly pickup .
We are taking no responsibility for this abherrent behavior .
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Finer we grind , the better conversion we get . Gonna cook another batch tomorrow and tool up to still on Friday on the first ag we mashed .
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

Truckinbutch wrote:...
Had about 5 gallons of spent grains from the squeezins . SRD dumped them over in the holler yesterday . This morning there was a boar coon what wanted to fight the garbage man for what was in the bags in the box for his weekly pickup .
We are taking no responsibility for this abherrent behavior .
Hahahah, class!
So there must be a fair bit left in the grains after squeezing, I must give the MCH soak a go when the next ferment is done.
Don't be a dick
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Give it to the cows for fresh milked baileys
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Update :
We ground more corn today for barrel 4 and for SRD to take home to start his own barrels while we started mashing in barrel 3 . Barrel 2 is nearly ready to be racked off on day 6 .
Last dregs of barrel 1 went into a semiclear 5 gallon bucket to settle . What was 3 1/2 gallons of opaque fluid is now 3 gallons+ clear with 1 1/2 inches of settlings in the bottom
Not gonna get to still tomorrow . Finish mashing barrel 3 and put the still together and steam her out . 'Her !' What was I thinkin ? I named the still Calvin and when you get him hot he just pisses all over everything .
Anyhow , .......... We gonna find out what we did come Sattiday .
What we know right now :
1> This is fun .
2> Mash bag in a trash can floating in a larger trash can with an aquarium heater works .
3> Liquid enzymes work just stupid cool !
4> Grind fine enough before you mash and straining becomes less of an issue .
5 >Corona mills are well worth the money .
6 >We should have listened to our all grain friends months ago .
7 >It is so rewarding to embark on an adventure such as this with a fellow novice by your side and this forum as backup . It makes it real :thumbup:
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

That 10 gallon/20# we mashed in as part one of barrel #4 yesterday checked out this morning at 1.080 . Did the low temp cook in part 2 and filled the fermentor . Pitched yeast at 84 degrees .
Tomorrow we will put the still together and maybe rack off barrel #2 to settle .
I can't believe the conversions we are getting .
The flourlike grind is leaving us with so few chunky grains that steam distilling would be futile .
I'm also getting the fastest ferments I have ever gotten .
The adventure continues .......
Edit : Both mashes for this last ferment were 21# flour ground corn and 10 gallons of water . I added 3 gallons of water to the result to lower og and thin the mash .
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

Well gentlemen I can see you are off and running and with great results also. I have a question though and it comes from left field. Most everyone on HD uses cracked corn of some sort for their whisky and end up regrinding it to make it finer and cooking the heck out of it. Have you ever considered using steam rolled corn? It cooks out very well and is easy to handle without excessive grinding.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

corene1 wrote:Well gentlemen I can see you are off and running and with great results also. I have a question though and it comes from left field. Most everyone on HD uses cracked corn of some sort for their whisky and end up regrinding it to make it finer and cooking the heck out of it. Have you ever considered using steam rolled corn? It cooks out very well and is easy to handle without excessive grinding.
$ $ I'm retired/retarded and got lots of time to grind $8.50 a bag whole field corn into what we want with our modified Corona mill in the short time it takes it to do it .
We got fresh meal/flour that just converts so stupid fast and is working so well .
A few good runs with this and we will start looking further for less time involved methods .
If we don't ride this horse to the finish line we will have no way to compare it to the next horse we consider buying into .
bronctoad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bronctoad »

O.K. so you guys are NOT gonna use a steam cooker? are you using gas or electric? I only ask as I'm currently trying to assemble a steam unit for my AG run, hopefully this summer. along with all the other pieces. Looks like fun, cant wait :wave:

bronctoad
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

Truckinbutch wrote:
corene1 wrote:Well gentlemen I can see you are off and running and with great results also. I have a question though and it comes from left field. Most everyone on HD uses cracked corn of some sort for their whisky and end up regrinding it to make it finer and cooking the heck out of it. Have you ever considered using steam rolled corn? It cooks out very well and is easy to handle without excessive grinding.
$ $ I'm retired/retarded and got lots of time to grind $8.50 a bag whole field corn into what we want with our modified Corona mill in the short time it takes it to do it .
We got fresh meal/flour that just converts so stupid fast and is working so well .
A few good runs with this and we will start looking further for less time involved methods .
If we don't ride this horse to the finish line we will have no way to compare it to the next horse we consider buying into .
Sorry, I didn't know you were That Old. :D I think I might have to start looking around for an old electric motor around here to hook up to your Corona mill. Maybe that would help them old creeky joints.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

bronctoad wrote:O.K. so you guys are NOT gonna use a steam cooker? are you using gas or electric? I only ask as I'm currently trying to assemble a steam unit for my AG run, hopefully this summer. along with all the other pieces. Looks like fun, cant wait :wave:

bronctoad
No , we're not going to steam at this point . We are both cooking on propane and using half inch drills with paddle mixers to constantly stir .
bronctoad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bronctoad »

Sorry TB at 5 in the morning my thought processes are a little slow :oops: what I meant to ask about was steam stripping/distilling your ferments. whether or not a steam rig is necessary for a all grain run :roll:

bronctoad
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

bronctoad wrote:Sorry TB at 5 in the morning my thought processes are a little slow :oops: what I meant to ask about was steam stripping/distilling your ferments. whether or not a steam rig is necessary for a all grain run :roll:

bronctoad
No apology needed . We have discussed it and agreed that for the present we will pass on the steamer . First AG mash was rough ground and still filtered and squeezed well in a mop bucket .
We only recovered 5 gallons of spent grains along with 16/17 gallons of clear wash that we got to still out .
Next mash was finer ground and had a better conversion rate . Finished out in 6 days and is settling now . That will get stilled this week .
Mash #3 got set yesterday . 10 gallons of water and 21# corn x 2 .OG was 1.08 . Added 3 gallons of water to thin the mash and pitched yeast . This morning you could hear it working from 3 feet away .
I had been running 44 gallon sugarhead UJ for a long time and never had a ferment finish in less that 14 days .
What we are doing now with staggered batches is encouraging .
Batch size will make one still and thumper charge for a strip run . Soon as that is done the settling buckets are ready to rack the next ferment . Bag inside the fermenter makes for easy cleanup and recharge .
Once we get a rhythm established we should be able to produce a good drop a little in excess of what we drink .
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Sorry, I didn't know you were That Old. :D I think I might have to start looking around for an old electric motor around here to hook up to your Corona mill. Maybe that would help them old creeky joints.
I appreciate your concern . Got an old drill to crank the mill , so I got that part covered . :)
Age isn't as large a factor as mileage and maintenance . There's where I dropped my candy in the dirt .
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

Truckinbutch wrote:Sorry, I didn't know you were That Old. :D I think I might have to start looking around for an old electric motor around here to hook up to your Corona mill. Maybe that would help them old creeky joints.
I appreciate your concern . Got an old drill to crank the mill , so I got that part covered . :)
Age isn't as large a factor as mileage and maintenance . There's where I dropped my candy in the dirt .
Nah! That is just hard to believe. I figured someone like you took really good care of yourself when you was younger. Probably only had to fight once or twice a day . Bet you took really good care of your back too. Yep those good ole days took a toll on us that is for sure.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

corene1 wrote:
Truckinbutch wrote:Sorry, I didn't know you were That Old. :D I think I might have to start looking around for an old electric motor around here to hook up to your Corona mill. Maybe that would help them old creeky joints.
Nah! That is just hard to believe. I figured someone like you took really good care of yourself when you was younger. Probably only had to fight once or twice a day . Bet you took really good care of your back too. Yep those good ole days took a toll on us that is for sure.
What can I say ? Greeted many a dawn by sliding out of the bed to my knees on the floor in reach of the nightstand where ,prepped the night before , rested 3 fingers of Wild Turkey and a quarter of a Bute . They gave me the strength to rise to my feet and face the new day .
With such encouragement you can run a foot race on a broke leg .
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

As usual , we are behind schedule per my fault . We should be stillin AG by Wednesday .
Wrapped a new PTFE gasket yesterday for the boiler . 84 feet of 1/2" teflon tape for three layers . This sucker better work !
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Truckinbutch wrote:
corene1 wrote:
What can I say ? Greeted many a dawn by sliding out of the bed to my knees on the floor in reach of the nightstand where ,prepped the night before , rested 3 fingers of Wild Turkey and a quarter of a Bute . They gave me the strength to rise to my feet and face the new day .
With such encouragement you can run a foot race on a broke leg .
Bute is the good stuff. A quarter and you could get shot and wouldn't know it.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

Truckinbutch wrote: Bute is the good stuff. A quarter and you could get shot and wouldn't know it.
Sounds like shmoo...
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

rgreen2002 wrote:
Truckinbutch wrote: Bute is the good stuff. A quarter and you could get shot and wouldn't know it.
Sounds like shmoo...
Just as magical. Works great... Try googling phenylbutazone
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Today was a total success :clap: PTFE gasket worked great and 'Calvin' converted our first AG mash to low wines without a hitch . About 14 gallons of mash yielded 2 gallons of low wines . I think SRD is going to cook a mash at his house tomorrow .
Too tired to go into a lot of detail tonight . We got 2 more mashes to still out before we do a spirit run .
We'll keep y'all updated .
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

You two are like the next Bondurant brothers....maybe without the bootlegging...

Glad to hear its going well. :mrgreen:
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

rgreen2002 wrote:You two are like the next Bondurant brothers....maybe without the bootlegging...

Glad to hear its going well. :mrgreen:
More like a bond of friendship that's been built over more than a year . The bootlegging , prolly not .
Explaining to him what I've already learned and learning what neither of us know as a shared effort . And he shares skills that I have not mastered . 2 way street .
Most of us know this as a solitary hobby . Puts a new spin on it when a buddy is helping do safety checks and you kick ideas back and forth during a 5 hour run and work on other projects instead of being glued to the seat by yourself .
Then you get proactive on those ideas and make them happen .
Having wives that like each other and are tolerant of our 'boy toys' also contributes to the harmony .