My first still

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Re: My first still

Post by jb-texshine »

I bought two halfgallons of takka brand vodka and mixed with 4 gallons water. Carlos rossi wine in gallon jugs works at 10$ gallon get 4 or 5 and as a bonus youll have 4 or 5 glass jugs. If you do that though, keep the jugs and ditch the lids and get corks as pressure buildup makes them suicidal.
Be safe
Jbt
Last edited by jb-texshine on Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
GABrew
Novice

Post by GABrew »

Yeah .. the cheap wine / vodka water mix will work from what I've read. I actually ran my first ujssm as my initial sacrificial. At least that way my 2nd generation / first sour mash will theoretically be drinkable. Although I have to admit that I wasn't thrilled with the smell / taste of the sweet run that came out of my still. I don't think it was bad, but it certainly wasn't good. Maybe it was because it was the "sacrificial cleaning run" and had picked up too many impurities. Who knows. I do believe my wash smells a lot better this time around, so maybe the product will too. The weeks go by pretty quickly so I may take all the product from this first sour run and add it to my 3rd generation run and see how that goes. I've read that this UJSSM doesn't really start to shine until about the 3, 4th, 5th generations.

Maybe I'll start a birdwatchers too. I'm really anxious to get several of these under my belt, cause I'm ready to mash me some rye. I hear it's 'difficult' and everyone says to start with the ujssm or birdwatchers to get some stillin' under my belt. So that's what I'm doing. Hopefully I can produce something I want to drink before too long.

GA
I'm trying to follow rule #2. Are you?
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =35&t=5090
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

GABrew wrote:Yeah .. the cheap wine / vodka water mix will work from what I've read. I actually ran my first ujssm as my initial sacrificial. At least that way my 2nd generation / first sour mash will theoretically be drinkable. Although I have to admit that I wasn't thrilled with the smell / taste of the sweet run that came out of my still. I don't think it was bad, but it certainly wasn't good. Maybe it was because it was the "sacrificial cleaning run" and had picked up too many impurities. Who knows. I do believe my wash smells a lot better this time around, so maybe the product will too. The weeks go by pretty quickly so I may take all the product from this first sour run and add it to my 3rd generation run and see how that goes. I've read that this UJSSM doesn't really start to shine until about the 3, 4th, 5th generations.

Maybe I'll start a birdwatchers too. I'm really anxious to get several of these under my belt, cause I'm ready to mash me some rye. I hear it's 'difficult' and everyone says to start with the ujssm or birdwatchers to get some stillin' under my belt. So that's what I'm doing. Hopefully I can produce something I want to drink before too long.

GA
Ga, that birdwatchers is good for cleaning a pot still but unless you triple distill it it tastes like tomato brandy. Try the gerber or all bran or odins cornflakes recipes. They are more pot still friendly,taste wise.
Last edited by jb-texshine on Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Deo Vendice

GABrew
Novice

Post by GABrew »

Thanks JB!
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

GABrew wrote:Thanks JB!
:thumbup:

Deo Vendice

Ryan17
Novice

Post by Ryan17 »

jb-texshine wrote:I bought two halfgallons of takka brand vodka and mixed with 4 gallons water. Carlos rossi wine in gallon jugs works at 10$ gallon get 4 or 5 and as a bonus youll have 4 or 5 glass jugs. If you do that though, keep the jugs and ditch the lids and get corks as pressure buildup makes them suicidal.
Be safe
Jbt

So I can use the takka vodka and water or use the Carlos vodka? Or use all together?

Thanks for your continued input from the beginning JP. I wish I could help you out as well but I'm a noob. Haha
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Either one or the other is fine.
As for the help,pass it on.
Jbt

Deo Vendice

Ryan17
Novice

Post by Ryan17 »

Just ran the vinegar through, rinsing and about to start the vodka and water! After all the time I have invested it feels so good to have a flame under this keg! So to be clear I just need to run this once through then rinse and I'm good to put my wash in?
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

You got it, chief.
The first one goes away to prosperity -no tasting!
All the rest are yours to enjoy.
Salute!
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

What he^said. It is fun aint it!
Dont forget to swipe your girls little makeup compact mirror to check all the joints for leaks. Just hold it close to each joint to ckeck ,itll fog the mirror if its leaking.
Stay safe and keep an eye out for the revenoors! :ewink:
Jbt

Deo Vendice

Ryan17
Novice

Post by Ryan17 »

Thanks guys, should I be concerned if I'm not getting much product? I'm keeping it right at or near 122-125 degrees Fahrenheit?
Ryan17
Novice

Post by Ryan17 »

jb-texshine wrote:What he^said. It is fun aint it!
Dont forget to swipe your girls little makeup compact mirror to check all the joints for leaks. Just hold it close to each joint to ckeck ,itll fog the mirror if its leaking.
Jbt

It is fun, I knew I would enjoy this hobby. So far I love it and I haven't even ran my first wash yet! And yes I did check for leaks with a mirror. :thumbup:
Ryan17
Novice

Post by Ryan17 »

Ryan17 wrote:Thanks guys, should I be concerned if I'm not getting much product? I'm keeping it right at or near 122-125 degrees Fahrenheit?

Played around with the heat. I'm at 175f now and it's much better.
GABrew
Novice

Post by GABrew »

I used a mirror on the end of a flexible wand that I had in my automotive toolbox to check for leaks. Worked really well for me.

I can't comment on the temperature, as I don't have a thermometer in my rig anywhere.

I slowly increased the heat until product came out. If you check my post from my first run of ujssm I think I put the times I completed each Mason jar..I think each jar is a quart. I also definitely noticed that the further into the run I had to keep increasing heat. I don't think I ever had product coming out faster than a thin pencil lead stream.

Let us know the final result.
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Don't worry about thermometer readings. You'll drive yourself nuts.
Run that dog and you'll get to see what comes out.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Ignore the thermometer. Pencil lead size stream is what your looking for,down to smallest SOLID stream you can get.

Deo Vendice

Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

jb-texshine wrote:Ignore the thermometer. Pencil lead size stream is what your looking for,down to smallest SOLID stream you can get.
He's right and you are fucked . You done fell down the rabbit hole . Now , it's up to you whether you want to go deeper or try to climb out .
Hold what you got until you get comfortable with that and then begin trying 1 different thing at a time to find what works for you .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Ryan17
Novice

Post by Ryan17 »

Running my wash! Threw away the first 100ml just to be extra safe. First bit is 130 proof! This is very rewarding
Ryan17
Novice

Post by Ryan17 »

Very clear also! Still going strong
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Tasted any yet?

Deo Vendice

Ryan17
Novice

Post by Ryan17 »

jb-texshine wrote:What he^said. It is fun aint it!
Jbt

I realize this question may be very researchable as I remember reading it.... but I want to understand it correctly while I'm doing this. I started at 130 proof and now about 1/4 gallon I'm down to 100 proof. To achieve higher do I just dump all of my collected alcohol back into the keg and wash and redo? Or do I clean the keg first I can't remember. Only asking because I'm in the process. Thank you
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

You got me confused . You want to shoot your boiler with what you have already drawn off or do a back to back run with collected low wines ?
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Keep running till you hit 20% dump keg, check proof of low wines and proof to 20% total with water, add to keg and rerun.

Deo Vendice

GABrew
Novice

Post by GABrew »

Ryan17 wrote:Running my wash! Threw away the first 100ml just to be extra safe. First bit is 130 proof! This is very rewarding
How much wash did you run? I did a 5 gal wash and tossed the first 250ml. I am pretty sure I read the safe amount is ~50ml / gal of wash. Just making sure :)
Ryan17
Novice

Post by Ryan17 »

jb-texshine wrote:Keep running till you hit 20% dump keg, check proof of low wines and proof to 20% total with water, add to keg and rerun.
Thank you again for being so helpful. Doing this now
Ryan17
Novice

Post by Ryan17 »

GABrew
Novice

Post by GABrew »

That rig looks almost exactly like mine. Right down to the hose!

Just fyi, when I uploaded a photo with Tapatalk, I got reamed .. maybe they'll be nicer to you ..
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Ryan17, please upload your images directly to the HD server rather than linking to externally hosted images... There is an Upload Attachment or similar button below the box where you compose your messages... Use it... Please refer to the Tapatalk Ad Removal and Image Uploading and Posting Etiquette topics...

Posted with GABrew...
Ryan17
Novice

Post by Ryan17 »

rad14701 wrote:Ryan17, please upload your images directly to the HD server rather than linking to externally hosted images... There is an Upload Attachment or similar button below the box where you compose your messages... Use it... Please refer to the Tapatalk Ad Removal and Image Uploading and Posting Etiquette topics...

Posted with GABrew...
Sorry, for some reason that doesn't work on my phone. Not sure if that's a common problem. Another member told me to use that to upload pictures :crazy:
GABrew
Novice

Post by GABrew »

I'm not sure what the story is .. but yeah, another member told me to use it too, and I was pointed to the same threads as you for uploading attachments.

It's kinda a huge pain for me since I take the photos with my phone .. then have to copy them to my computer and then batch resize them using irfanview, then upload them, then link to them in my posts.