Summer dellema.

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Summer dellema.

Post by skow69 »

ARK ANGEL wrote: Now, as for my new still and recently cooked off wash, Something is still not quite right, I only got 2.5 liters at 90% from my 21 liter wash, I left it for a week longer than normal to make sure it had finished, I used 6kg of dextrose in 21 liters with a few punnets of cooked strawberries for flavor and nutrients with turbo temp tolerant yeast, but the SGM read almost 1000, I can't figure why it's just not playing the game, I've had great success all throughout winter and spring, the weather has gone mild lately so I'm stumped, it's not like I haven't done my homework or its my first run.
If I thought it possible, I'd say the dextrose is weak or cut with something.
I'll just have to eliminate the ingredients one by one, so my next wash will be sugar, we'll see what happens.
Too bad you don't have a starting SG. Not preaching, it just makes trouble shooting easier. So 6kg sugar in 21 l wash would give you starting SG ~ 1.109 SG and 16.8% alcohol. You say the final SG was 1.000, right? Assuming that that is 21 l off the trub and into the boiler, then you'd have about 3.5 l pure ethanol in the pot. You collected 2.5 at 90% for 2.25 l ethanol, and lost 1.25 l somewhere. Unless you've got a leak the most likely explanation is one of your measurements was off somewhere. I wouldn't worry about it if it was just once, but this sounds like your third issue like this. The dextrose isn't weak or cut with something. There is something funky in your measuring system. Are you using carbon or anything to clean the wash from that high octane turbo ferment?

How do you prepare that? essences? mixers? Do you filter it? Are you happy with the product? You are drinking this, right? It's not for fuel or something?
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
ARK ANGEL
Novice

Post by ARK ANGEL »

rad14701 wrote:The marble is most likely there to force the vapor to the side walls of the reflux condenser and that would be its main purpose... It would impede vapor from flowing straight up the column without making contact with the condenser section wall...
Makes sense, I wonder if the rattle is just incidental, it does seem happen at the stopping point.
ARK ANGEL
Novice

Post by ARK ANGEL »

skow69 wrote:Do you have any packing below the marble, ARK ANGEL? That would prolly increase the purity some. Without it most of the reflux will fall into the boiler and mix back into the charge. It is an interesting design, shows that you can get a lot of improvement in a short device.
There is no packing, not much room to put any, perhaps 20-30% of one steel pot scrubber, better than none I guess.
I guess I could get allot more in without the marble, might be worth experimenting.
I was fairly skeptical when I first used it, being so compact, but, ya can't argue with results, it served me well.
My new one has 5 big steel scrubbers and a big copper one on top, 90% average from a shit mix is heaven, but it's a bastard to clean.
ARK ANGEL
Novice

Post by ARK ANGEL »

skow69 wrote:
ARK ANGEL wrote: Now, as for my new still and recently cooked off wash, Something is still not quite right, I only got 2.5 liters at 90% from my 21 liter wash, I left it for a week longer than normal to make sure it had finished, I used 6kg of dextrose in 21 liters with a few punnets of cooked strawberries for flavor and nutrients with turbo temp tolerant yeast, but the SGM read almost 1000, I can't figure why it's just not playing the game, I've had great success all throughout winter and spring, the weather has gone mild lately so I'm stumped, it's not like I haven't done my homework or its my first run.
If I thought it possible, I'd say the dextrose is weak or cut with something.
I'll just have to eliminate the ingredients one by one, so my next wash will be sugar, we'll see what happens.
Too bad you don't have a starting SG. Not preaching, it just makes trouble shooting easier. So 6kg sugar in 21 l wash would give you starting SG ~ 1.109 SG and 16.8% alcohol. You say the final SG was 1.000, right? Assuming that that is 21 l off the trub and into the boiler, then you'd have about 3.5 l pure ethanol in the pot. You collected 2.5 at 90% for 2.25 l ethanol, and lost 1.25 l somewhere. Unless you've got a leak the most likely explanation is one of your measurements was off somewhere. I wouldn't worry about it if it was just once, but this sounds like your third issue like this. The dextrose isn't weak or cut with something. There is something funky in your measuring system. Are you using carbon or anything to clean the wash from that high octane turbo ferment?

How do you prepare that? essences? mixers? Do you filter it? Are you happy with the product? You are drinking this, right? It's not for fuel or something?
Yeah, I should get into the habit of a pre ferment measure, I'm wrapped with the product, not much fruit taste left at 90%+, proofing down may help.
I put carbon in the wash and use clear finings before cooking off, product is carbon drip filtered through about 120 grams of carbon at one drip per second and repeated 4 times.
I drink with coke (cola), fresh orange juice, lemonade, mineral water, red bull (not all at once) or just sip from a shot glass after proofing down to around 50%, but I love the taste of it unproofed in coke.
I will go over my process to eliminate any possible mistakes, but I don't know why I'd be getting it wrong all of a sudden.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

ARK ANGEL wrote:There is no packing, not much room to put any, perhaps 20-30% of one steel pot scrubber, better than none I guess.
I guess I could get allot more in without the marble, might be worth experimenting.
I was fairly skeptical when I first used it, being so compact, but, ya can't argue with results, it served me well.
My new one has 5 big steel scrubbers and a big copper one on top, 90% average from a shit mix is heaven, but it's a bastard to clean.
You don't want packing in the reflux condenser section as it won't help... Your HETP's need to be below the reflux section... If you really want more reflux and the purity that comes with it, you need to add a packed column below that existing head... At least one member here has added a packed column section below one so I know it can be done...
ARK ANGEL
Novice

Post by ARK ANGEL »

rad14701 wrote:
ARK ANGEL wrote:There is no packing, not much room to put any, perhaps 20-30% of one steel pot scrubber, better than none I guess.
You don't want packing in the reflux condenser section as it won't help... Your HETP's need to be below the reflux section... If you really want more reflux and the purity that comes with it, you need to add a packed column below that existing head... At least one member here has added a packed column section below one so I know it can be done...
Adding an extension below the column has been suggested before, but failed to mention anything about packing it.
Two questions if I may please, firstly, about to what degree would a packed vs a non packed column increase quality and alcohol content with the same condenser? As I have read about some guys removing all or most of it for differing results, as to their preferences (flavor maybe).
Secondly, what materials in general are not recommended to use for the above mentioned lower column extension, as I have a yard full of bits, obviously copper is good and important for removing sulfur compounds, I'd assume galvanized steel pipe is out, but what about say, zincalume, mild steel, brass, nickel, aluminum, domestic plumbing (white pvc), garden reticulation and rural farm grade (black polly) pipe, cast iron, and tin?
Cheers.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

ARK ANGEL wrote:....what materials in general are not recommended to use for the above mentioned lower column extension, as I have a yard full of bits, obviously copper is good and important for removing sulfur compounds, I'd assume galvanized steel pipe is out, but what about say, zincalume, mild steel, brass, nickel, aluminum, domestic plumbing (white pvc), garden reticulation and rural farm grade (black polly) pipe, cast iron, and tin?
This question is "classic Troll". Doesn't even deserve an answer.
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

ARK ANGEL wrote:Adding an extension below the column has been suggested before, but failed to mention anything about packing it.
Two questions if I may please, firstly, about to what degree would a packed vs a non packed column increase quality and alcohol content with the same condenser? As I have read about some guys removing all or most of it for differing results, as to their preferences (flavor maybe).
Secondly, what materials in general are not recommended to use for the above mentioned lower column extension, as I have a yard full of bits, obviously copper is good and important for removing sulfur compounds, I'd assume galvanized steel pipe is out, but what about say, zincalume, mild steel, brass, nickel, aluminum, domestic plumbing (white pvc), garden reticulation and rural farm grade (black polly) pipe, cast iron, and tin?
Cheers.
Please refer to The Rules We Live By, linked in the header of every page here in the forums... Memorize Rule #8... You should have already read that topic as well as every other topic in that subforum... Surely, this isn't the first time that doing ample research has been mentioned so consider this yet another reminder...
ARK ANGEL
Novice

Post by ARK ANGEL »

rad14701 wrote:
ARK ANGEL wrote:Adding an extension below the column has been suggested before, but failed to mention anything about packing it.
Cheers.
Please refer to The Rules We Live By, linked in the header of every page here in the forums... Memorize Rule #8... You should have already read that topic as well as every other topic in that subforum... Surely, this isn't the first time that doing ample research has been mentioned so consider this yet another reminder...
I did, it didn't cover all of these, and it was contradictory as to my out research on the tin, galvo and aluminum, I'm just wanting more than one opinion, but you really knew that, didn't you?
But by all means, ignore my other questions won't you.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

ARK ANGEL wrote:
rad14701 wrote:Please refer to The Rules We Live By, linked in the header of every page here in the forums... Memorize Rule #8... You should have already read that topic as well as every other topic in that subforum... Surely, this isn't the first time that doing ample research has been mentioned so consider this yet another reminder...
I did, it didn't cover all of these, and it was contradictory as to my out research on the tin, galvo and aluminum, I'm just wanting more than one opinion, but you really knew that, didn't you?
What part of if you didn't see it in Rule #8 it's not acceptable don't you get...??? We shouldn't have to list everything that isn't stainless steel, copper, or PTFE in the what not to use topic just so you don't use the wrong materials... I'm giving you every benefit of the doubt that you're not simply trolling these forums but you're not doing much to improve those odds... Either you understand safety or you don't... A little common sense on your part would go a long ways... You can check the MSDS of materials just as easily as the rest of use can so why don't you check those other materials and discover what the rest of us already know... Notice the repeated use of the word "you"... "YOU" need to start getting up to speed, not the rest of us...
ARK ANGEL
Novice

Post by ARK ANGEL »

still_stirrin wrote:
ARK ANGEL wrote:....what materials in general are not recommended to use for the above mentioned lower column extension, as I have a yard full of bits, obviously copper is good and important for removing sulfur compounds, I'd assume galvanized steel pipe is out, but what about say, zincalume, mild steel, brass, nickel, aluminum, domestic plumbing (white pvc), garden reticulation and rural farm grade (black polly) pipe, cast iron, and tin?
This question is "classic Troll". Doesn't even deserve an answer.
:clap:What a genius! :yawn: OK then... [troll:- carefully and systematically search an area for something.]
[Websters definition:- (in folklore) an ugly creature depicted as either a giant or a dwarf. or:- A person who makes a deliberately offensive or provocative online post.]
To the first and second I merely scoff with derision, to the latter I say, HOW DARE YOU YOU RUDE OBNOXIOUS IGNORAMUS! That was an obviously genuine inquiry.
Perhaps your precious rules could improve by including manners as part of required reading.
Some of us have reading disorders and consequentially miss things no matter how many times you read something, that coupled with the fact some of us actually have a life outside the walls of your ivory towers well,.. you know where I'm going with this,.. don't you?.. Oh...
I guess perhaps being civilized is a concept you were never afforded, so you have no reference, if that is indeed the case, I'd recommend you seek counseling, lest it erode any quality of life... should you have any.
You know, if you asked me a question, I'd just fucken answer the bloody thing, your "rules" designed to intimidate, actually promote lazy anti social behavior, the nazi like rigidity in which you police them is utterly beyond childish, oh and you will never intimidate me.
This here is called "social" media fella, LOOK IT UP!
Read a book for fucks sake!.. The dictionary,
If you don't have the brains or are just to lazy to answer a simple civilized question, then just keep your redneck bullshit to yourself.
ARK ANGEL
Novice

Post by ARK ANGEL »

rad14701 wrote:
ARK ANGEL wrote:
rad14701 wrote:Please refer to The Rules We Live By, linked in the header of every page here in the forums... Memorize Rule #8... You should have already read that topic as well as every other topic in that subforum... Surely, this isn't the first time that doing ample research has been mentioned so consider this yet another reminder...
What part of if you didn't see it in Rule #8 it's not acceptable don't you get...??? We shouldn't have to list everything that isn't stainless steel, copper, or PTFE in the what not to use topic just so you don't use the wrong materials... I'm giving you every benefit of the doubt that you're not simply trolling these forums but you're not doing much to improve those odds... Either you understand safety or you don't... A little common sense on your part would go a long ways... You can check the MSDS of materials just as easily as the rest of use can so why don't you check those other materials and discover what the rest of us already know... Notice the repeated use of the word "you"... "YOU" need to start getting up to speed, not the rest of us...
Fuck you and your bullshit. if you cant be fucked answering simple questions because I have reading issues, then you are a low lazy piece of shit bully.
I wish I meet you one day, I'll show you what we do with lazy Nazi bullies.
I used my manners you could have just said no, but you obviously don't have the knowledge needed, I will not waste my time with you and your prejudice feeble mind, you will never advance with your attitude.
This eagle's gonna fly far from the turkeys.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

You obviously don't belong here...!!! Move on...!!! You have proven that you are, indeed, a troll... You went and hit the spin cycle just as predicted... Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out...
ARK ANGEL
Novice

Post by ARK ANGEL »

rad14701 wrote:You obviously don't belong here...!!! Move on...!!! You have proven that you are, indeed, a troll... You went and hit the spin cycle just as predicted... Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out...
Glad you can see into the future, but it's no mean feat when you play with a stacked deck.
You predicted well, you pegged me as a strong, forward free thinker, and therefore not good cult material.
Here is some required reading for you, "Your precious list is not a bible, this is not Germany 1941 and you are not Hitler" your rules are for the down trodden.
Enjoy your limited life, they do say "Ignorance is bliss", you should nearly be climaxing by now.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

ARK ANGEL wrote:
rad14701 wrote:You obviously don't belong here...!!! Move on...!!! You have proven that you are, indeed, a troll... You went and hit the spin cycle just as predicted... Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out...
Glad you can see into the future, but it's no mean feat when you play with a stacked deck.
You predicted well, you pegged me as a strong, forward free thinker, and therefore not good cult material.
Here is some required reading for you, "Your precious list is not a bible, this is not Germany 1941 and you are not Hitler" your rules are for the down trodden.
Enjoy your limited life, they do say "Ignorance is bliss", you should nearly be climaxing by now.
They are Uncle Jesses rules which he expects you to abide by... You have blatantly cursed members here which is also against Uncle Jesses rules... You're just digging yourself a deeper hole from which there may be no return... Care to push your luck a bit further or are you ready to change you attitude...???
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Rad, there is no value in this conversation. Close it please.
Geoff
The Baker
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

"Summer dellema"

Figure a mod won't have a dilemma
Locking this post
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Well ain't this a blast from the past :roll: , an old old fashioned dog pile the newbie in the Novice Distillers section by older members that should and do know better :problem: . I have read through this thread and the OP's only other post (his intro) and I can say unequivocally I am very much unimpressed with the responses. This thread is a disgraceful display of behavior and does not reflect well on the forum, its generally helpful nature or conduct of the great majority here. I cant say I like the manner in which the OP has chosen to defend himself but do wonder how a lot of others would react put in a similar position.
This is the novice distillers section and members might expect there will be novices asking novice question and making novice statements here, far better would be replies of guidance and cordial advice when erroneous methods are posted rather than ridicule and baseless accusations. I think its about time a few fellas grow up and take a look at how they interact with new members, pretty easy to label someone a troll once you got them riled up and frothing at the mouth :thumbdown:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Yep Ive about had it with some here .
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
SilverBullet
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by SilverBullet »

All the time I spend researching and learning from the good people on this site, I despise the comments made by the big feeling, power tripping egos on here that know it all. Yes they know their shit but they sure are pricks when they want to be.

It's a damn shame
A handful of patience is worth more than a bushel of brains
xyz123
Novice

Post by xyz123 »

thecroweater wrote:Well ain't this a blast from the past :roll: , an old old fashioned dog pile the newbie in the Novice Distillers section by older members that should and do know better :problem: . I have read through this thread and the OP's only other post (his intro) and I can say unequivocally I am very much unimpressed with the responses. This thread is a disgraceful display of behavior and does not reflect well on the forum, its generally helpful nature or conduct of the great majority here. I cant say I like the manner in which the OP has chosen to defend himself but do wonder how a lot of others would react put in a similar position.
This is the novice distillers section and members might expect there will be novices asking novice question and making novice statements here, far better would be replies of guidance and cordial advice when erroneous methods are posted rather than ridicule and baseless accusations. I think its about time a few fellas grow up and take a look at how they interact with new members, pretty easy to label someone a troll once you got them riled up and frothing at the mouth :thumbdown:

+1
ARK ANGEL
Novice

Post by ARK ANGEL »

rad14701 wrote:
ARK ANGEL wrote:
They are Uncle Jesses rules which he expects you to abide by... You have blatantly cursed members here which is also against Uncle Jesses rules... You're just digging yourself a deeper hole from which there may be no return... Care to push your luck a bit further or are you ready to change you attitude...???
Fuck that, you were worse with your manner, specific words are just reactions, the context of your replies and premise within were beyond abusive and insulting, even after I explained at least twice about my reading disorder, I'm not backing down from you, you don't get to tell me shit mate, if I get booted, that's the price I pay for sticking it to a well deserving asshole that's trying to put words in my mouth.
I respect the value of the info and the person or people who compiled it, but just because it isn't there, does not mean it cant be used or that new findings supersede them.
You deserve all I have said and more, I take nothing back and regret saying none of it.
My attitude??? are you illiterate, really stupid or just "TROLLING"???
If you bothered to read my responses, directed to you, you would know whose attitude I believe should change, you are a barking dog mate, no real reason or threat, but annoying enough to need throttling.
My only stuff up is letting rude, ignorant, bad mannered, self appointed Nazi lifer know all's get me to retort down on their level.
So to the good people and staff here on this otherwise great informative forum, my humble apologies, and I understand if you feel you need to cut me loose, no hard feelings from me, I am a member of other forums and know you have a job to do, I'm not one to run from facing up to my mistakes, I'll cop it sweet with due respect.
BUT!....As for these few limp dick tossers who prey on newbies like starving buzzards, KISS MY ASS!!! You won't get me to back off, I'm in your face until booted or otherwise officially asked by the authorities.
I was going to leave you all to it, as I thought I'd be cut for reacting like I do, but oddly, I'm still live, so far.
ARK ANGEL
Novice

Post by ARK ANGEL »

thecroweater wrote:Well ain't this a blast from the past :roll: , an old old fashioned dog pile the newbie in the Novice Distillers section by older members that should and do know better :problem: . I have read through this thread and the OP's only other post (his intro) and I can say unequivocally I am very much unimpressed with the responses. This thread is a disgraceful display of behavior and does not reflect well on the forum, its generally helpful nature or conduct of the great majority here. I cant say I like the manner in which the OP has chosen to defend himself but do wonder how a lot of others would react put in a similar position.
I appreciate your saying so, I apologize to all for my part.
On the Crows. :D
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

Word.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

As I stated Im really tired of this kind posting and the ones doing it.Ark dont like your actions . However looked to me ya was being pushed .So consider this your verbal warning.still_stirrin just had a conversation with you short while back about this . So 30 days in read only for you .Rad you been warned several times about your responses and have failed to comply.You will no longer be posting on HD at all.Any one else think HD is place to dog pile or bully might wanna think agin.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Sirs,

It is always sad when long standing and knowledgeable people are denied access to their social group. :(

However, it is also true that it seems a good many, new recruits may have been driven away by ridicule and harsh words from some. I know that one of my friends told me several years ago that he had removed himself because of the treatment he had been metered out on this forum and this is one of the reasons I kept my distance until recently.

I heave no bad words to say about those mentioned by Admin above, and I'm sure it sometimes does irritate, when the same questions are repeatedly asked, but at the end of the day, this is the "novices" section and perhaps some of those who have left could have learned a lot more and become knowledgeable in their own right, given a more empathic hearing at the begining of their journey.

Crow, well done for saying your piece, I noticed that on another thread too, you went against the "Groupthink" advice re- using sugar in fruit ferments. - Respect mate ! :thumbup:

Still very sad to see prolific and regular contributors removed though and I hope we can all learn a little more tolerance and to express ourselves more gently in future.

Great forum and I can see that even as far as "the powers that be" are concerned, it is great to have somewhere where novices can learn "the right and safe way" of becoming proficient in this fascinating hobby. More power to your elbow !

That is all I have to say. Thanks for listening.
ARK ANGEL
Novice

Post by ARK ANGEL »

Tater wrote:As I stated Im really tired of this kind posting and the ones doing it.Ark dont like your actions . However looked to me ya was being pushed .So consider this your verbal warning.still_stirrin just had a conversation with you short while back about this . So 30 days in read only for you .Rad you been warned several times about your responses and have failed to comply.You will no longer be posting on HD at all.Any one else think HD is place to dog pile or bully might wanna think agin.
Although I humbly accept your decision and greatly appreciate the fair go, I honestly don't recall that conversation with still_stirrin you mentioned.
I looked through this thread near a dozen times and couldn't find it, perhaps I am just overlooking it, may I ask that you point this out please, it would help me to re read it.
I do have a cognitive reading disorder, usually repetitive re reading fills the blanks but not always, I classically miss things that are obvious, but it rarely impends my understanding, I ask that you please bear with me on occasion regarding this.
I am also not quite a young man anymore and in pain often with Osteo arthritis, my medication enhances my miss reading problem and infrequently affects my memory, I realize these are my issues but, a tiny amount of leeway given from time to time from all members, would be a much bigger help to me than it seems.
I'm an educated worldly individual with an engineering background, raised in a small country town, married 22 years with 4 children and 3 grand children, currently semi retired, so I'm pretty much just a regular guy.
I will gladly comply with the read only status, see you in 30 days everyone, and many thanks.

Peter.
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

No, ARK. He was addressing still_stirrin.
You'll get used to the mannerisms and speak of some of the folk here.
Think of it as still_stirrin COMMA....
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

ARK ANGEL wrote:I do have a cognitive reading disorder, usually repetitive re reading fills the blanks but not always, I classically miss things that are obvious, ....
That describes me and some of my friends when taking a lot of statins, well, any amount really, it's just the degree that differs. :roll:
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

This is a big world wide forum with great diversiity . For that reason it pays to read things from all angles before taking offence when possibly none is inferred, we all have many varied ways of communicating. Going off half arsed can escalate a problem that was not there to start with.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin