2 inch shotgun build

Anything cooling/condenser related.

Moderator: Site Moderator

still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: 2 inch shotgun build

Post by still_stirrin »

piperdave wrote:...Here's some more pic's...
No pic's.....just a buch of tapa-frickin-talk.

Resize and post on the site, or don't promise pic's.
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
piperdave
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by piperdave »

Damn iPad and Tapatalk....here ya go:
twisted flat stock for the barrels
twisted flat stock for the barrels
IMG_0154.JPG
IMG_0155.JPG
If you can't be a good example, at least be a terrible warning
craftsman
Novice

Post by craftsman »

Piper, I did some testing with a heavy clay since its inert and don't seem to melt. I thought about this for a long time, so I did a test on some scrap pieces. It just might work. It will be a really slow process since each tube will need to be wrapped with a bead of clay after soldering. My trial seems to prove this at the moment, but remember I only did a few tubes in a scrap part I had made in the past. I let you know after I tackle the real project.
piperdave
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by piperdave »

Sounds interesting! Looking forward to hearing (and seeing) how this works. I haven't made any progress lately but when I get time I plan getting busy with my build soon. Hope yer experiment works out for you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
piperdave
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by piperdave »

I think I remember in one of the other shotgun build threads here on the forum one of the fellas used clay or plaster of paris to hold the tubes and plates in place while it was soldered. I don't remember how it turned out. I will look up that thread.

Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

craftsman wrote:Piper, I did some testing with a heavy clay since its inert and don't seem to melt. I thought about this for a long time, so I did a test on some scrap pieces. It just might work. It will be a really slow process since each tube will need to be wrapped with a bead of clay after soldering. My trial seems to prove this at the moment, but remember I only did a few tubes in a scrap part I had made in the past. I let you know after I tackle the real project.
I would strongly advise NOT to use this method...! :esurprised:
The moisture in the clay will evaporate and form tiny vapor pockets inside.
The result will be the damned thing explodes into your face, in more or less tiny pieces.
Use a wet rag, to take some of the heat out of your workpiece. Or use adequate heat paste designed for this purpose, It ain't that expensive.
piperdave
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by piperdave »

Thanks for the head's up.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Piper so far your copper work looks very good.. now comes the test, putting solder to the copper..

May I ask what ferrules are you planning on using for the condenser, for in re-reading the post, I didn't or misread what you intended to use..

May have a few tip on how to put it all together using solder only.. such as the steps to the construction for soldering.. first the tubes to he bracket are soldered, then the ferrules to the 2", the end bracket to the 2".. so knowing what ferrules you will be using is important in what step in the process..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
piperdave
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by piperdave »

The drawing at the top of the thread is basically the plan. There will be a few modifications based on suggestions offered in this thread and from actually doing it. I'm just getting ready to put the whole thing together so that will put my skills and patients (sic...did I spell that correctly?) to the test. I will post relevant pic's as I progress. Just ordered a Still Dragon control box and a 5500 W element so my strip runs are probably gonna need the shotgun when I get it all together.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

piperdave wrote:the end caps are the sticking point in my build. I'm going with silver solder and acetylene and regular lead free for the other joints. I will update this thread as I (hopefully) make progress. There are some excellent shotgun build threads here that I have taken inspiration from. Here's some more pic's. still working on the end caps.
Ok.. I see no other way, you will have to hard solder your end caps and tube section to the 2" all in one shot.. so that you can solder your water inlet/outlet fitting so you can check for leaks before moving soldering the reducer and the elbow on.. just lots more work, that all.. once you solder have solder the inlet/outlet and check for leaks, then wrap them with a small wet rag, before soldering your fittings..

Had you configured the design to use ferrules, which would of helped in cleaning should a puke occurred.. it could have been done all with soft solder.. plus product condensers are over rated in size in my view.. the product product condenser on the 3" flute I have is 1 1/2" in size and only 14" in length, with 5 - 3/8" tubes giving me a 12" length of cooling area, and it hardly get warm with a very slow rate of water flow..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
piperdave
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by piperdave »

Nothing has been soldered yet so there is still time for modification. I have 2 " ferrules on hand but, for me, it's hard to get the SS to copper solders right do that's why I went with fewer connections. I will think on it. Little pain at the front to gain easier life at the back end. Hmmmmmm :think:
Tinner22
Novice

Post by Tinner22 »

Dragon stills sells copper ferrules. But you knew that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Master Distiller
piperdave
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by piperdave »

$18 compared to $4 each. I considered that route but the budgetary committee shot it down. Guess I have to suck it up.

Adding ferrules between the 90 elbow and the shotgun makes too much sense (cleaning storing, maintenance, etc.) so, since I have the parts, I will do that. By the end I WILL have learned how to solder SS to copper. Kinda glad I'm taking my time on this and getting it right as opposed to jumping in head first and have to take things apart every time I f-up.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

piperdave wrote:By the end I WILL have learned how to solder SS to copper
Soldering SS to copper is quite easy, especially a ss ferrule to copper.. you need Harris Stay Clean liquid flux, it is available in 1 oz for about $12 at welding shops or on ebay.. you make a circle with 1/8" solder so it fits just tight inside the copper pipe, depending on what size pipe you are using may need to make 2, and apply heat just to the ss ferrule, it help if you do the work on a fire brick or something like it.. and watch for the solder to start soften, then work it around use heat.. you solder the ferrule first to the copper pipe, then solder to the elbow after with the ferrule wrapped with a small wet rag..

Mars

– Albert Einstein
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

StillerBoy wrote:Soldering SS to copper is quite easy, especially a ss ferrule to copper.. you need Harris Stay Clean liquid flux, it is available in 1 oz for about $12 at welding shops or on ebay..
I paid ~$6.00 with tax for a 4oz bottle at the local welding supply house about a year ago... Paid about ~$12 and change for 4oz of the liquid and 4oz of the paste... Haven't even opened the paste yet... Lifetime supply if not wasted...
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

rad14701 wrote:I paid ~$6.00 with tax for a 4oz bottle at the local welding supply house about a year ago... Paid about ~$12 and change for 4oz of the liquid and 4oz of the paste... Haven't even opened the paste yet...
That is what the US citizen have over us Canadian.. :evil:
Here it is imported, so we paid twice and three time the price.. and even town close to the boarder paid higher price than what you have quoted Rad.. I travel once a month across, and some the prices US side, once the exchange is facter in, it is almost the same price on our side.. the exchange is killing us right now.. :thumbdown:

Mars

– Albert Einstein
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

piperdave wrote:Adding ferrules between the 90 elbow and the shotgun makes too much sense (cleaning storing, maintenance, etc.) so, since I have the parts, I will do that.
Another option is to construct ferrules using #4 gauge solid wire.. not all that hard to, and work good for product condenser..
Attachments
Picture 0592.jpg
Picture 0552.jpg
1.5" x 14" PC with 12" of cooling area
1.5" x 14" PC with 12" of cooling area

– Albert Einstein
piperdave
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by piperdave »

Nice work and thanks for all the help!

Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

StillerBoy that is some handsome metalwork right there...! :clap:
solartje
Novice

Post by solartje »

It's a beauty mars.

2questions:
- did you flatten the wire on the contact surface between shell and wire and/or bottem surface?
- where did you aply the solder? From the bottem or from above or both?
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

solartje wrote:- did you flatten the wire on the contact surface between shell and wire and/or bottem surface?
No.. used #4 gauge solid wire, formed into a ring off 1 1/4" plastic pipe, then fitted to the 1 1/2 copper pipe, cut and fitted using a screw clamp until tight fit, then soldered..
solartje wrote:- where did you aply the solder? From the bottem or from above or both?
Once the ring is fitted properly, it is held in place with a screw clamp, making sore than the is square with the pipe base, then placed upright on a fire brick and heated.. heat some then apply flux at the point the ring and pipe make contact and continue to heat until when the solder meld when touched, working the solder around..

The shaping of the ferrule was done using a belt sander for the contact base and used a file to bevel the top side, to a similar degree as a ss ferrule is.. also the ferrules are solder first before soldering the inner parts..
Attachments
Picture 0612.jpg
Picture 0622.jpg
Picture 0632.jpg

– Albert Einstein
solartje
Novice

Post by solartje »

Jalous. My 2c: nicest easy flange i've seen by far. :clap:
Tinner22
Novice

Post by Tinner22 »

Never gave it a thought to make my own flanges like that. Have to try it some time
Master Distiller
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Thanks fellow for the compliments.. not all that hard to make, just need to make sure the rings are done right .. I did try using 1/4" tubing for making ferrules but didn't like the results, much more difficult to work with than the solid wire..

Mars

– Albert Einstein
Tinner22
Novice

Post by Tinner22 »

What I did for my inside flange, where your tubing is going I cut a piece of 3" copper down to- 5" then split it flattened it out used this as my inside flange. Can drill it without it catching. Cut it using a band saw
Master Distiller
piperdave
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by piperdave »

It's been a while but I am still doing this project albeit very slowly. Here's a couple pic's of my other option for condenser tubes. The 1/2 inch ID tubes were kinda packed in there so I build a 6 tube, 1/2 inch OD condenser array. I think the water will flow better around this configuration. Thoughts anyone?
6 tube 1/2 inch OD
6 tube 1/2 inch OD
close up
close up
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Piper.. the pictures come up being up side down and cannot be enlarged..

This new condenser is of the 2" size I assume.. from what I can see, there seem to be room to wrap some 16 or 18 gauge wire around the tubes.. and you may want angle the outlet side and point them toward the center, this will provide the liquid to drip off in the center.. and provide the clearance need for the soldering of the ferrule as per stated before..

She's lookin good and coming together..

Mars

– Albert Einstein
piperdave
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by piperdave »

Hopefully these are better. I like the wire idea. I will keep plugging away at this when I get time. Looking forward to using my 5500 watt element and controller with this baby.
More room
More room
1/2 inch OD pipe
1/2 inch OD pipe
5/8 OD pipe original
5/8 OD pipe original
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

It will work, piperdave. The shotgun looks great.

Question...for the 1/2" OD pipe, did you use soft copper tubing? I'm not aware that rigid type M copper is available with 1/2" OD....only 1/2" ID with a 5/8" OD. Perhaps, metric pipe sizes are available where you are. Just wondering.

That thing will handle your 5.5kW element for a fast stripping run without worry. And the baffles in the tube bank will make it efficient even with low water flow.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
piperdave
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by piperdave »

Yeah, it's soft copper.

I still haven't wired my controller, waiting for parts and confidence so 5500 W will be a little while yet.