What is everyone drinking?

What do you drink, and how do you drink it?

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bushman
Admin

Re: What is everyone drinking?

Post by Bushman »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:A black IPA.
Bushman wrote:... homemade Carmel cordial.
You know what I would like to see? A sub forum created, dedicated to all the cordials and liquors you can make from nuetrals. A place to find the grand marnier recipie, Kalua, fire piss, etc. A cordial section. Would be nice in one place.
I like the idea as I have made a lot of very good liqueurs and love my Grand Marnier Recipe.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Bushman wrote: ... love my Grand Marnier Recipe.
Yeah about that. I'm a gunna need that recipe. I'm doing a cleaning run this weekend on my first ever neutral column. A new adventure for me. It's a whole new world, inspired by my stillin buddy panicky. I'll post a build thread later. But yeah. Would like to see all those pulled out of the flavoring section, as they are in the end a whole new likker. So when some one asks, what to do with neutral, we can say, go here and start making all the other liqours you need for your bar... :thumbup:
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

As I told Jimbo, Grande Marnier is expensive to buy commercially. I did a side by side taste test and could not tell the difference. Got to make some more soon. If you guys like it we might need to put it in the Tried & True as I don't think we have the recipe anywhere but on my post.
Here it is:
Grande Marnier
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

I will tell you this. I just started a 50 gallon oat UJSSM tonight. I plan on stripping and spiriting this next weekend, as my first neutral. If my new column performs, I'll make this first, as I love Grand Marnier, but you're right. Expensive and easier to get plain tripple sec for the pina coladas.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Thanks Bushman! Looks like an excellent recipe, definitely will be crankin one through and suggesting for Tried and True if she's good, which I have no doubt of.

Check out zesters so you dont have to plane the pith out of the oranges. They cut strips of zest, so waste a little zest on the rind, but oranges are cheaper than dickin around with gettin rid of pith?

Thanks for pointing us to your recipe. Cheers!
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
speedfreaksteve
Swill Maker

Post by speedfreaksteve »

brye.jpg
My 1 week old bourbon-rye (I called it brye). Having it with some coke. It's honestly the best batch of whiskey that I've ever made. It think mostly because it's my first with 100% all grains mashed, I did conservative cuts, and using these oak cubes for the first time really make me wish I discovered them 10 years ago.

Here's my combined mash bill (roughly) from the 3 washes:

30 lbs corn
12 lbs malted barley
25 lbs malted rye
10 lbs white sugar
30 gallons water
Also added around 10 gallons in backset in total to each of wash #2 and #3.
markieb
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by markieb »

not sure on how far these cheap supermarkets have gone but i am really into captain morgans spiced rum i went on a hunt for a cheaper option as its £17-£22 here in england so i went to aldi and brought theirs its nice very vanilla/caramel drinkable but only a bottle much more it gets too sweet and sickly bonus is no hang over the next day and i dont turn nasty on it :ebiggrin:
the next i tried was a bottle of spiced rum from lidl its called capain cooks and WOW this is pretty close to the captain morgans i took a bottle to my freinds wedding because i was the best man and drank half of it before my speech at 1pm lol drank the rest and had the sober mrs go get me another bottle for the evening lol this stuff is really really nice you get a nice happy buzz from it and so far ive not woken up with a hangover from it 2 bottles at £9.99 each and both brands are a clean cut rum that doesnt give you the rough feeling the day after drunk after 2 bottles yes hang over no lol
for me this is the aim i wish to reproduce time and time again maybe not the flavour but the effects.
vodka i turn nasty and unfortunately whiskey i turn nasty too i will still produce them and drink them but maybe by myself in a tent alone somewhere far far away from people. :angel:
some say cheap shelf brands are junk but for me these are 2 of the cheapest brands but very very good quality i think aldi had a whiskey brand they brought a 12 year old scotch or maybe 18yr that use to sell for about £80 a bottle but theyre selling it at i think £18.99 :D happy days
Lyonsie
Swill Maker

Post by Lyonsie »

On the jameson tonight. Only cos its on special offer €20 :ebiggrin: and im trying to age my sweetfeed.
I thought i was wrong once,
But then i found out i was mistaken.

Kill the women, and rape the men.
speedfreaksteve
Swill Maker

Post by speedfreaksteve »

Doing a mashing at the moment. I like to sip on some wine during a mash. I try to lay off the hard stuff while mashing for obvious reasons.

Here in Canada all alcohol is ridiculously expensive but you're allowed to make your own wine or beer. We have stores that you can show up, pitch the yeast for your wine, leave, then come back in 6 weeks and bottle your wine. They do all the thankless work of racking and filtering. We have the same type store for beer as well. I make a batch of 28 bottles every few months for just over $3/bottle. Here at the liquor store a $10 bottle is consider "cheap wine".
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

90proof clear apple pie mixed with sweet tea on ice. Gonna be a damgood hot weather drink
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

makers bill that's been on oak for a year, coming on well
Don't be a dick
DSM Loki
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DSM Loki »

Jameson and ginger ale
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Sloe Gin - 18 months old :D

Sister in law loves it "i'b habd shree glasssess an I'z tispy .." SHe has other friends who make their own sloe gin - but not starting with 60% Sour mash :lol: :lol: :wink:
BDF
Swill Maker

Post by BDF »

1 week old UJSSM, nothing but cinnamon and vanilla bean.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Rum and dr pepper
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

Uncle Lum and ice made from distilled water, at sunset, w/ BBQ ribs, along with the Lady Diana. Yep, now that I whipped Cancer for the 3rd time in my life, the living is easy. :)
:thumbup: :wave: :ebiggrin:
“…Let’s do this one more time....”
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

1 year old, white wheat whiskey, made from 100% home malted wheat.
Wish I could share a sip with ya'll :lol:
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

I'm on "pikeys easy Scotch" - straight off the nipple - she's on "very Bacardi (ish)" - put some down on oak, with a few additions - teaspoons of money gives buckets of product :lol:
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Pikey wrote:....with a few additions - teaspoons of money gives buckets of product...<--Does this mean something special in British dialog? I don't understand what you're saying.
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

still_stirrin wrote:
Pikey wrote:....with a few additions - teaspoons of money gives buckets of product...<--Does this mean something special in British dialog? I don't understand what you're saying.
I didn't realise anybody was listening ! :lol:

I guess to put it in the vernacular, I was a little "ethereal" as I wrote it - as in;

"...Imagine her dismay, on stealing a glance of timid admiration at the poet whose lines suggested an ethereal being fed on `spirit, fire, and dew', to behold him..........."

In context I was expressing wonderment and joy that for the sake of a very small investment of coin, a little time, some oak with a few additional trace flavours, we could both be enjoying our respective tipples of preferment in copious quantities :D

Hope that helps :thumbup: :wink:
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Sigh....

Geoff
The Baker
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

8th gen UJ, neat....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Tonight I'm sampling that same easymalt I ran less than 2 weeks ago - It's been on oak since then and has an amazing amount of vanilla in it ! Rather too much in my opinion and I can only think that my toast has hit the Vanilla peak and also I did a very light char on it - rather becuse I was a little careless than deliberately. I always add a little vanilla essence and next time, I'll char the same way and leave the essence out. I'm hoping the oak will overpower it a little. This time I also added 200 ml of backset straight from the still, into the finished product (4.5 Litres) Added all the heads back in and quite a lot of the early tails. This is now getting rather close to a good unpeated Scotch :D
easyScotch 12.08.17resize.jpg
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Tonight I will sample my rum I proofed and bottled yesterday.
DSM Loki
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DSM Loki »

Treated myself with a sip of my uj that spent a year on oak. I really like it. Only problem is that it's in short supply. I have addressed that issue for future me though, by filling a 10 gal barrel last week.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Glass of rum after dinner here!
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Apple brandy :ebiggrin:
BARREL AGED 24 AUG 17 #1 - C.JPG
It's been aging in a well used barrel for about 6 months now and is just starting to come around.
nameless
Novice

Post by nameless »

Month old homemade apple pie.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

nameless wrote:Month old homemade apple pie.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Be careful you don’t leave any apples or cinnamon sticks in it too long. I found an almost 2 year old jar of it this past weekend and got all pumped, until I tasted it.

One of the nastiest things I’ve ever tasted. It was my oldest booze, and it hurt to pour it out.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Still on easyScotch, but the next generation, aged on the same oak as the last batch and with no vanilla added at all. Diluted to 30% with ordinary tap water.

It could have just come out of an expensive bottle.

I'd bottle some of this for xmas prezzys - If it wasn't so drinkable ! :lol: