flavour essence

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

stillvodka
Site Donor
Site Donor

flavour essence

Post by stillvodka »

I have never ever tried/added commercial like say Prestige or still spirits flavour essences, for the reason in most parts because I don't know what they are made of ? what chemicals they put into them
and I cannot find any sort of info on how they are made, do they use Any sort of natural ingredients ?

anybody know anything about these essences, they have been around a long time .

:thumbup:
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: flavour essence

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Why would you want to ruin the product that you worked hard to make it the best? For me and most folk here that is what it is all about - quality!!

OVZ
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

While I don't like to essence up any liquor, my brother loves the flavored drinks so I keep some on hand.

Here's what's in two Prestige essences right off the label:

Prestige Irish Cream: Flavorings, Glycerine, Invertose, Distilled Water, Caramel Color E150A.
Prestige Whisky Liqueur (Drambuie): Flavorings, Tannin, Glycerin, Invertose, Distilled Water, Caramel Color E150A.

And of course, they both call for some granular sugar to be added.

So I guess the big question is, what's in the 'flavorings'?
I found this:
http://grapestoglass.com/product-catego ... /essences/
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

They have an "American Vodka" essence. What's in it? Fores & heads??
cuginosgrizzo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cuginosgrizzo »

RedwoodHillBilly wrote:They have an "American Vodka" essence. What's in it?
it makes sense like a package of dehydrated water
stillvodka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillvodka »

:thumbup:
Oldvine Zin wrote:Why would you want to ruin the product that you worked hard to make it the best? For me and most folk here that is what it is all about - quality!!

OVZ
Ok yes I understand that

But I also understand that there are some quality made spirits out there from some top notch distilleries around the world that make their own Essences for their own top notch quality whiskies brandies and vodka!

I have also made my own natural Essences, but was just thinking It could save me some time if there were some essences I could buy, that didn't contain any artificial crap put into them :thumbup:
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

I can see making my own.

When i was just starting out, i tried some of the prestige essence. They were all awful. threw them in the trash and poured out the likker i spoiled with them.

I'm not sure who there (at prestige) thinks bourbon tastes like aqua velva aftershave...but that's the closest thing i can think of that would taste similar.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

I've never used them, but the guy in the local brew shop, gives sample drinks out to try and sell them (Still spirits version) . They do help a bit to hide the nail polish flavour of the turbo yeast he uses before distilling in his Air Still - but he follows the instructions that come with the still ! :shock: :shock:

He even gave me some to try in my stuff - anybody want some ? :lol:
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

stillvodka wrote:But I also understand that there are some quality made spirits out there from some top notch distilleries around the world that make their own Essences for their own top notch quality whiskies brandies and vodka!
Really? For flavored vodkas that would be the best method, but who does that for whiskey or brandy?