Major Puking....

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Jack Slapperaski
Novice

Major Puking....

Post by Jack Slapperaski »

So I was moving too quick, stirred up the bottom a little on my apple cider wash, moved too much into the 15.5 keg pot, probably put 14 gals in there by accident and this happened....(see below photo) The view is from the top of my column...

Does this look like cooked yeasts and solids?

No doubt that the over filling helped to push this turd to the top; distillate was cloudy, as you can imagine.

I shut it down, drained the keg back into my cleaned fermenter and re-capped it with an airlock for now. I think I lost a lot of alcohol vapor in the transition.

I might try to run the slop again, strip it down and junk it into an all feints run.....
Attachments
IMG_1431 (Copy).JPG
GrassHopper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Major Puking....

Post by GrassHopper »

Holy Crap! That looks like something I would flush down the toilet when I'm sick (puke). I just wouldn't put that in my still to begin with, but hey, each to his own. :crazy:
Last edited by GrassHopper on Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

GrassHopper wrote:So I was moving too quick, stirred up the bottom a little on my apple cider wash,
Lesson learn hopeful.. when distilling a wash that is very cloudy, don't distill allow it re-settle again..

Also, along with it being cloudy with sediments, you must have overfill the boiler and not supervise the setup resulting in the mess generated.. when working with washes that that are cloudy, if one needs to process it, which can be done but done very slowly, the boiler is only filled to half way mark, and the heat reduced once the bottom of column start to warm up, otherwise reducing the heat later generate the foaming you experience..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

StillerBoy wrote: Lesson learn hopeful.. when distilling a wash that is very cloudy, don't distill allow it re-settle again..

Also, along with it being cloudy with sediments, you must have overfill the boiler and not supervise the setup resulting in the mess generated.. when working with washes that that are cloudy, if one needs to process it, which can be done but done very slowly, the boiler is only filled to half way mark, and the heat reduced once the bottom of column start to warm up, otherwise reducing the heat later generate the foaming you experience..

Mars
I always run cloudy beer/wine, it does not equate to puke.
I usually run 40-45l in a 50l keg and only get a puke if I don't dial down as soon as it comes up to heat, not that I'm an authority on stilling.
Seen a few of your posts about, you seem to have a knack for giving halfcooked advice in a abrasive way.

@Jack Slapperaski

Sure looks a mess, did you strain your must at all?
looks like there were quite a bit of solids in there.

Give her a cleanout and run it again, bet there is still a fair bit of booze in there :thumbup:
Don't be a dick
Jack Slapperaski
Novice

Thank you all for your comments and insights, and the confirmation regarding the mistakes I made (i.e. the combination of cloudiness and over fill).

Thanks for this way to deal with running a cloudy wash: " the heat reduced once the bottom of column start to warm up, otherwise reducing the heat later generate the foaming you experience..

" Sure looks a mess, did you strain your must at all? (My racking cane sucks; I tried the scoop out method of using a small cook pot and stirred up solids)
looks like there were quite a bit of solids in there." (A few lumps got by me when I had to deal with the larger fermenter; a few too many it looks)

I ran the exact same recipe at almost the as much wash last time with excellent results. With me being in a hurry this time, I made those two critical mistakes and might have lost the load. I'm going to try and rack off the load tonight, let it settle again and maybe run it on Saturday.

Thank you gain!
Jack
Jack Slapperaski
Novice

Update: I got three quarts of usable product from the run; got some cinnamon sticks in it now. Also, a half gallon of feints at about 65 proof. I plan on saving all the feints from apple runs aside from anything else, and do an all feints run with it someday.

Jack