All Bran Recipe

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

RedwoodHillBilly

Re: All Bran Recipe

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

Calcium is a little low, but if you use oyster shells as has been recommended, you should be OK. When I did the all-bran recipe, I used oyster shells, DAP, a little MgSO4 (epsom salts), and some boiled yeast. You are probably OK with special-K, but if you have problems, you might want to add a small amount of DAP and some boiled yeast. If you add epsom salts, use just a very small amount, you want to keep the sulfur compounds to a minimum, but you do have copper in the vapor path.
RedwoodHillBilly

I should add that once you have a recipe that works for you, optimum or not, stick with it and use it to learn how to run your tool (still). This way you haven't changed more than 1 thing at a time. Once you understand how running your still in different modes make a difference in your product, then you can branch out to new recipes. Do one thing, do it well, and keep the other variables the same, this will help you keep whatever sanity you still have left intact :-)

There are 4 major things that you need to master, don't confuse them. 1) ferments, 2) running your still, 3) cuts, 4 ) aging

They are all interconnected, but master them in order. Do each one well, then move on to the next. This is the path to success IMHO.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Redwoodhillbilly thank you very much for this detailed explanation, ı used boiled yeast and epsom
Salt as said in the final recipe so from what you are saying I need to add calcium to make up for the
Limited amount in Kellogs Special K, how should I determine how much to use externally ?
Thanks
RedwoodHillBilly

If it were me, I would toss in a handful of oyster shells. This will help help to avoid a ph crash as well as adding a little bit of calcium. If you don't have oyster shell available to you, you could use clean and washed egg shells.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Hi,

I just realized that I made a mistake with the amount of Epsom salt that I used ı should have
put 1.5 teaspoon but instead 3 teaspoon would it cause much problem ?
RedwoodHillBilly

No, don't worry about it. Try to be consistent in your recipe. See my post above about #1, i.e. always do the same thing in your ferment, then work on #2.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Thank you RedwoodHillBilly I will do that, I think I am going to buy calcium tablets crush it and put it in the ferment would that be ok just trying to work out how much to put ?, would that be ok to put it now, 48 hrs passed already, so I hope I won't be interrupting the fermentation.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

:thumbup:

It looks great. It'll make a fine neutral. How is the fermentation working? Sizzling?
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
RedwoodHillBilly

Unless your ferment has a problem, I would just let it run. Next time do your normal recipe, don't over think it, but be consistent.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Still Stirrin, Redwoodhillbilly

Thanks a lot, it is bubbling like crazy it is now 48 hrs since the fermentation started

Should I still do stripping and Spirit or only spirit at one go ?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

artooks wrote:...it is bubbling like crazy it is now 48 hrs since the fermentation started
:clap:
artooks wrote:Should I still do stripping and Spirit or only spirit at one go ?
Since you're desiring a neutral, I suggest (strongly) to strip and then do the spirit run. So, make enough wash to fill your stripper 3 times. Then, the low wines will give you a good run with a large measure of product, enough to make good cuts for a clean neutral.
ss
RedwoodHillBilly

If you want a clean neutral, I would recommend a strip then a spirit run. You may want to do a couple of ferments and strips to give you enough low wines to do a reasonable size spirit run.

Another hint, while you are waiting on you spirit run and have low wines, you may want to raise the ph of the low wines, which will make a cleaner neutral. Do some research on the forum about this (that is where I found it and it works nicely).

I used sodium carbonate. but Lye (NaOh) would work also. There is much research about why this works, it is up to you to to do to your research/search to find out why.

Posted with SS
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Thank you very much Still Stirrin
I will do Strip and Spirit Run, I cannot do more than 1 batch at a time because of my fermentation chamber can only take 1 I purchased a small boiler, for this purpose, so my big boiler is 8 gallon and small boiler is 2.5 Gallon, I hope I can achieve what I am looking for, would it make a difference to start with a small bath so first I would do 8 Gallon strip run then will do a 2.5 Gallon spirit run.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

RedwoodHillBilly,

Thanks I will do the necessary research about it, thanks for pointing that out.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

My Biggest problem from day 1 is transferring the wash to the boiler, so with this All Bran wash what I will do is once the fermentation has been completed I will syphon it to a secondary and will keep it at 40.00 ℉ and then rack it to the boiler, is this workflow correct ?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

artooks wrote:....would it make a difference to start with a small bath (batch?) so first I would do 8 Gallon strip run then will do a 2.5 Gallon spirit run.
That'll work. It's just that you'll have to collect in small jars in the spirit run so you can make good cuts. A larger charge just gives more product for you to "cut and claim". Same process applies for the small batch as a larger one. It's just easier to do with the larger sized batch.
ss

edited to add:

Or, another possibility would be to store the low wines until you have enough to charge the big boiler for the spirit run. It's the way I do it. I ferment 2 x 5 gallon carboys (sometimes 3) at a time. Then, I strip the wash and put it in the refridgerator for storage. I start the next round of ferments in the carboys. And I repeat this the 3rd time. Once I've collected all the low wines, I charge the still for the spirit run. Sure, this takes more calendar days than the way you're proposing to put some fresh spirits into your drinking bottles. But, it gives me more product to cut with, making "conservative cuts" easier to accomplish. Like RHB suggested, I do add a couple of teaspoons of sodium carbonate to the low wines while I wait for the 3rd strip run. It does help clean the spirit while stored awaiting the spirit run.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

artooks wrote:My Biggest problem from day 1 is transferring the wash to the boiler, so with this All Bran wash what I will do is once the fermentation has been completed I will syphon it to a secondary and will keep it at 40.00 ℉ and then rack it to the boiler, is this workflow correct ?
You know, artooks, this type of "process question" is not specific to this Tried &True recipe. So, it would be better asked (and answered) in a different forum. The T&T forum really is reserved for recipe and process concerns/questions/comments relative to this recipe. General process questions are better placed elsewhere. <-- just a hint or suggestion (I'm not the website owner or moderator).
RedwoodHillBilly

still_stirrin wrote:
artooks wrote:My Biggest problem from day 1 is transferring the wash to the boiler, so with this All Bran wash what I will do is once the fermentation has been completed I will syphon it to a secondary and will keep it at 40.00 ℉ and then rack it to the boiler, is this workflow correct ?
You know, artooks, this type of "process question" is not specific to this Tried &True recipe. So, it would be better asked (and answered) in a different forum. The T&T forum really is reserved for recipe and process concerns/questions/comments relative to this recipe. General process questions are better placed elsewhere. <-- just a hint or suggestion (I'm not the website owner or moderator).

Good point, I know that I've been a little lax in pointing this kind of thing out. I'm trying not to be a (former member name redacted), and I know that I've done a lot of "spoon feeding", but I remember when I was a "newbie". Hopefully Artooks, will get the hint and do his own research :hint :hint: and just ask questions when they can't be found after searching or trying something that didn't work out.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

You are absolutaly right Still Stirrin, I will be more careful. Thank you Redwoodhillbilly ı will do my best.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

Hang in there artooks. You'll get it soon...
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Hi,

I also find this Nesfit, it is a plain one and is consumed in breakfast, can this be a better option compared to the Kellogs Special K
Attachments
nesfit.jpg
RedwoodHillBilly

That should work just fine. Yeast want's B vitamins and a bit of calcium, magnesium, and nitrogen. Try it and let us know how it works out. Remember, one good test is worth a thousand expert opinions. If it doesn't work, that is a good data point. Experiment, and if you have a problem, correct it and then try again. This is part of learning.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Hi,
I will try this and keep you posted,
Grappa-Gringo
Swill Maker

Post by Grappa-Gringo »

I've been looking all over for an answer but can't find it. Rad's All bran recipe... does it have a flavor? or is it just a sugarwash neutral type of thing??? He doesn't have a email or PM box next to his name otherwise I would have asked him. I'm thinking of running a batch, but want to know what to do with it afterwards...does it mix well with anything??
They say, "you are what you eat"... Then I'm fast, easy and cheap!
RedwoodHillBilly

Sugarwash for making neutral.
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

It makes a good neutral spirit.

If you work your way through this thread you will read where people using generations (adding backseat from earlier runs) and oak-ageing to make a nice whiskey-style tasting sugar head spirit. I have made this and it is a popular sipper!
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Grappa-Gringo wrote:I've been looking all over for an answer but can't find it. Rad's All bran recipe... does it have a flavor? or is it just a sugarwash neutral type of thing??? He doesn't have a email or PM box next to his name otherwise I would have asked him. I'm thinking of running a batch, but want to know what to do with it afterwards...does it mix well with anything??
I use it for both, I make a nice flavored version using miscellaneous cereals which I generally refer to as Unicorn Sweat since I am not very strict on controls and often use whatever organic cereal is available, on sale, or cheap. I also use an entire box of cereal for every 5 gallons of wash sometimes adding some fresh cereal to the wash just before it finishes which adds a lot of flavor. I get plenty of flavor run once or twice through a pot or once through the flute depending on the blend. Then after I take what will be used for flavored I make a neutral out of the rest.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Hi Everyone, as I said I did my first All Bran wash with Kellogs Special K, it is in its 6 day still bubbling starting OG: 1.074 Yesterday I did another batch with Weetabix Bran Flakes, so I will be doing some trials about taste, I am not sure of the Vitamins and Calcium levels, would it hurt to add 1 Multivitamin tablet, in the wash if so how much for 7-8 Gallon ?
Also with this type of wash how do you syphon it to the boiler, would like to here your experience as I am close to complete the fermentation.
Thanks
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

artooks wrote:Hi Everyone, as I said I did my first All Bran wash with Kellogs Special K, it is in its 6 day still bubbling starting OG: 1.074 Yesterday I did another batch with Weetabix Bran Flakes, so I will be doing some trials about taste, I am not sure of the Vitamins and Calcium levels, would it hurt to add 1 Multivitamin tablet, in the wash if so how much for 7-8 Gallon ?
Also with this type of wash how do you syphon it to the boiler, would like to here your experience as I am close to complete the fermentation.
Thanks
Oh come on !

Do some reading or take some responsibility for your own decisions !

I'm not sure all this constant spooooon feeeeeding is doing you any good !
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Artooks...
Here's how to fish rather than feeding you one:
Open HD Google Search at top of page.
Leave a space after the URL and type in "siphon"...
Do the same for "vitamin"

The answers are there.