A new youtube channel for distilling ?

Research sources, reviews and links to information relating to distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Re: A new youtube channel for distilling ?

Post by Jes2xu »

ranger_ric wrote:I came across this video today on youtube. It shows likker makin from a historic viewpoint and that history should be included in any interpretive presentation of the subject..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn-cOmca_Xo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Carry On
RR
Dude, That's probably a good idea.

And a good way to add the "interest" side of things as well as the purely practical.

Actually, I have started to get suggestions/requests for the "what is rum" / "what is vodka" and the "what is the difference between Irish, scotch, bourbon" type videos.

I guess the history type stuff could synergise well with those types of content.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

This is another interesting for people in the US

http://www.mountvernon.org/video/watch/ ... distillery" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

B
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

bitter wrote:This is another interesting for people in the US

http://www.mountvernon.org/video/watch/ ... distillery" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

B
Thanks cool.

Out of interest, do many people enjoy that kind of thing? Histroy, distillery visit / interview / etc as videos? I could look at getting into that kind of thing.
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

A quick discussion about 5 cool things that could happen if distilling were legalised in the USA.

And one of the best ways for you to help it happen.

https://youtu.be/qLbS2Nj5OzA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

well put together.
Thank you
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

dieselduo wrote:well put together.
Thank you
Thanks, man! Appreciate it. Have a follow-up video going out in 2 weeks. And HOPING to be able to start interviewing people that are involved.

Rick from the HDA would be at the top of my list right now.
Last edited by Jes2xu on Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

Jes2xu wrote:
Thank you
Thanks, man! Appreciate it. Have a follow-up video going out in 2 weeks. And HOPING to be able to start interviewing people that are involved.

Tick from the HDA would be at the top of my list right now.
reach out to Brewhaus?
member here that is a driving force behind the bill
Don't be a dick
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

Jes2xu wrote:

I think that you mean Rick, he is the owner of Brewhaus, and the guy that started HDA. He has put out a lot of time, effort, and money to try and get the legalization going. Good guy and good products. He's done some custom work for me and his welder is excellent.
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

Swedish Pride wrote:
Jes2xu wrote:
Thank you

reach out to Brewhaus?
member here that is a driving force behind the bill

Thanks my sweeeeeeedish friend. We have touched base through email. Will reach out here as well though : )
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

RedwoodHillBilly wrote:
Jes2xu wrote:

I think that you mean Rick, he is the owner of Brewhaus, and the guy that started HDA. He has put out a lot of time, effort, and money to try and get the legalization going. Good guy and good products. He's done some custom work for me and his welder is excellent.
Geez, thats a bad typo! haha

Yeah the more I read / hear / learn about him the more impressed I am! Hoping to be able to do something with him. Or more specifically hoping that I can help him spread the message etc.

BTW, Notice you always do the red reply. Appreciate it, always super easy to follow. Especially for long stuff.
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

Jes2xu wrote:
RedwoodHillBilly wrote:
Jes2xu wrote:

Geez, thats a bad typo! haha

Yeah the more I read / hear / learn about him the more impressed I am! Hoping to be able to do something with him. Or more specifically hoping that I can help him spread the message etc.

BTW, Notice you always do the red reply. Appreciate it, always super easy to follow. Especially for long stuff.
Ya, Rick is a good guy, maybe he can give you some time. Every time I talk to him, it takes hours, but well worth the time.
ranger_ric
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ranger_ric »

I have been watching these videos by Jexz..Personally I believe he is doing a great job of opening a discussion on Youtube. He never claims to have ALL the answers and truly encourages folks to get more answers.. He even in some videos steers them to this site. Kudos Stillit!!
Carry On
RR
If you are not willing to learn
No One Can Help You...
If you are Determined to Learn
No One can STOP you!!
We want you to be safe and succeed so start here
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

RedwoodHillBilly wrote:
Ya, Rick is a good guy, maybe he can give you some time. Every time I talk to him, it takes hours, but well worth the time.
haha true that!?

If you or anyone has any other ideas or suggestions for people worth having a discussion around this let me know :)
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

ranger_ric wrote:I have been watching these videos by Jexz..Personally I believe he is doing a great job of opening a discussion on Youtube. He never claims to have ALL the answers and truly encourages folks to get more answers.. He even in some videos steers them to this site. Kudos Stillit!!
Carry On
RR

Thanks dude.

Link to the site in every video ;) . . . .when I remember haha.
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

https://youtu.be/4JzgiElh-Fg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

New video went live today!

This time I'm giving a update on my build, and asking for a little advice. I also address a bit of the advice / feedback I have received (a good chunk of it from this thread!) and discuss how I plan on using that to improve :)
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Good job Jesse.

I like the casual discussion format. It comes across as "easy listening" and "humble". And it is good to see the status update, showing well the "learn as you go" through the process.

But some of the issues uncovered could be resolved here on the forum (quicker than comments on youtube). But feedback is a valuable tool regardless of where the feedback is provided.

For example, to attach the stainless liquid valve...it's threaded, right? Can you find a copper adapter that would thread into the valve and solder onto the liquid outlet? If the thread sizes are not available, then perhaps it is easier to find a valve that will work. Instead of trying to force "the square peg" into "the round hole", select a solution which will meet all of the requirements. My LM needle valve uses compression ferrules and swages onto the tubing, both inlet and outlet.

Also, I would likewise vote for the keg boiler...it is a more robust solution than trying to convert your mash tun to a boiler. A mash tun, especially a heated mash tun, is always a good tool to have. Many of us use recommissioned kegs as boilers...for many reasons; durable, right sized for hobbiests, economical, and the Sanke tap makes an ideal mount for your still head via a 2" triclover clamp.

So, I apologize for derailing this thread with comments regarding the issues you posed in your video. I suppose you do actually have a build thread running to address those.

In any case, the videos are well produced and entertaining. Although there are many videos posted on distilling, many, if not most, are often misleading, misinformed, or just plain silly. And many challenge the viewers' attention span.

The Still It series has a personality all its own. Keep it up.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

good man Jess!
you're soldering is on par with mine :)
Sorry that was mean , let me just say that you're an honorary member of my radrod build club :lol:
Don't be a dick
ranger_ric
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ranger_ric »

someone needs to start a website........ radrodbuildclub.com... My initial solderings were radrod suitable... but hey the still works quite well and that is what it is all about...
If you are not willing to learn
No One Can Help You...
If you are Determined to Learn
No One can STOP you!!
We want you to be safe and succeed so start here
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I'm buggered if I know why anyone would solder a takeoff tube onto a Bokakob head before sorting out what goes on the other end of it.
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

still_stirrin wrote:Good job Jesse.

I like the casual discussion format. It comes across as "easy listening" and "humble". And it is good to see the status update, showing well the "learn as you go" through the process.

That was kinda what I was hoping this would come across as. Especially after some of the other feedback I have received.

But some of the issues uncovered could be resolved here on the forum (quicker than comments on youtube). But feedback is a valuable tool regardless of where the feedback is provided.

Yup, I hear you on that point. In many ways it was a excuse to create content for the channel, and also share the experience. This video (and infact almost all videos I have made so far) are created with the total newb in mind. Im also just trying to get a grasp on the Still It Vs personal balance.

For example, to attach the stainless liquid valve...it's threaded, right? Can you find a copper adapter that would thread into the valve and solder onto the liquid outlet? If the thread sizes are not available, then perhaps it is easier to find a valve that will work. Instead of trying to force "the square peg" into "the round hole", select a solution which will meet all of the requirements. My LM needle valve uses compression ferrules and swages onto the tubing, both inlet and outlet.

I was hoping to do just that, have yet to find the parts, well I can find some solutions. But Im a tight arse haha

Also, I would likewise vote for the keg boiler...it is a more robust solution than trying to convert your mash tun to a boiler. A mash tun, especially a heated mash tun, is always a good tool to have. Many of us use recommissioned kegs as boilers...for many reasons; durable, right sized for hobbiests, economical, and the Sanke tap makes an ideal mount for your still head via a 2" triclover clamp.

So, I apologize for derailing this thread with comments regarding the issues you posed in your video. I suppose you do actually have a build thread running to address those.

Nah I think its fine for people to respond in any way they want to (from the videos) on this thread. At least thats how I thought this thread would go. Appreciate it dude!!

In any case, the videos are well produced and entertaining. Although there are many videos posted on distilling, many, if not most, are often misleading, misinformed, or just plain silly. And many challenge the viewers' attention span.

The Still It series has a personality all its own. Keep it up.

ss
Swedish Pride wrote:good man Jess!
you're soldering is on par with mine :)
Sorry that was mean , let me just say that you're an honorary member of my radrod build club :lol:

HAHA! . . . . .. I actually took to the rest of that head with a file to rough it up more. I am 95% committed to making this first build (column up anyway) "artistically grungy"

ranger_ric wrote:someone needs to start a website........ radrodbuildclub.com... My initial solderings were radrod suitable... but hey the still works quite well and that is what it is all about...
Thats actually a solid idea! haha. . . ..
A thread at least? !!?!?!?!?!

NZChris wrote:I'm buggered if I know why anyone would solder a takeoff tube onto a Bokakob head before sorting out what goes on the other end of it.

Because someone knows that they have a tendency to get analysis paralysis and just never do anything.
Because someone did nothing about it for a long ass time because they didnt know how to go about it.
Because someone basically has a budget of a few $$ a week.
Because someone is a total newb and is doing this for the first time.
Because someone has been planing this build for . . . . I dont want to know how long and just wanted to do something.
Because someone kinda thought the first soldering attempt would fail anyway and just wanted to give it a crack.
And . . . .just because
Last edited by Jes2xu on Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

J2 - I'm trying to plough through your responses in the last post - but I'm Red/green colour blind as are a good many of the male population - It would be a great help if you could post your answers in Dark Blue rather than red - please :)
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

Pikey wrote:J2 - I'm trying to plough through your responses in the last post - but I'm Red/green colour blind as are a good many of the male population - It would be a great help if you could post your answers in Dark Blue rather than red - please :)
Shit dude! haha good point!

. . . . I went back and fixed it up. Thanks for the reminder / tip!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Well do a pot head then. There is no valve required and you could be ready to run it in less time than it would take for your sacrificial ferment to finish.

And yeah, I use flour paste on one of my stills. There shouldn't be any pressure to blow your lid off if you do everything else right. Sit a couple of bricks on it if you're worried about it.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

I did the flour past and its a pita to clean but does work. I'm still thinking a keg is best.

Another option I am thinking about for a Gin setup is solder a triclamp to the lid (3") and then solder the lid to the pot... Could fill/clean using the 3" and I have a 2-3 converter for connecting a column.

When I ordered my valve I got he ones that look like this http://image.made-in-china.com/43f34j00 ... -Valve.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I drilled out the end and soldered my copper tube to it on the output of my 3" Boka. Maybe you can find 10mm Male to 1/2" tube compression fittings and use ptfe tape? Another option is to get a piece of copper rod and use a die to cut treads. The you could easily solder this to your pipe if you drilled the right side hole for it to fit over the pipe. This way you could still unscrew the valve for cleaning etc..

B
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Bitter, try making a very soft dough with the flour. Knead it a bit and roll it out into like a rope. Rest it a little a couple of times to make it easier to finish rolling. Thumb it into place.
Easier to clean up too.
Geoff (the BAKER)
The Baker
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

The Baker wrote:Bitter, try making a very soft dough with the flour. Knead it a bit and roll it out into like a rope. Rest it a little a couple of times to make it easier to finish rolling. Thumb it into place.
Easier to clean up too.
Geoff (the BAKER)
I make mine up to a consistency where I can put it in a snaplock bag, cut off a corner, pipe it on like icing, fold the corner over, peg it and chuck it in the fridge for next time.
hamshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hamshine »

NZChris wrote:Well do a pot head then. There is no valve required and you could be ready to run it in less time than it would take for your sacrificial ferment to finish.

And yeah, I use flour paste on one of my stills. There shouldn't be any pressure to blow your lid off if you do everything else right. Sit a couple of bricks on it if you're worried about it.
I can pick up my stockpot by the lid after a run even with 50 pounds of liquid in it..... Paste is legit
ETOH.... yes plz
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

NZChris wrote:Well do a pot head then. There is no valve required and you could be ready to run it in less time than it would take for your sacrificial ferment to finish.

Good point aobut the pot still. I know I SHOULD do that, hung up on the boka for some reason. I will end up making a pot head as well though. Pretty solid advice on the piping bag too, havnt heard that before. Sounds legit.
bitter wrote:I did the flour past and its a pita to clean but does work. I'm still thinking a keg is best.

Yeah I have no doubt it will work well, I guess history proves that haha. Its just the ease of use and the complications with gaskets (probably not hot alcohol safe) and sight glass that add up to possibly a little more PITA than is really needed.

Another option I am thinking about for a Gin setup is solder a triclamp to the lid (3") and then solder the lid to the pot... Could fill/clean using the 3" and I have a 2-3 converter for connecting a column.

Thats a dam fine idea. But I really want to keep the pot operational for brewing too ;)

When I ordered my valve I got he ones that look like this http://image.made-in-china.com/43f34j00 ... -Valve.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I drilled out the end and soldered my copper tube to it on the output of my 3" Boka. Maybe you can find 10mm Male to 1/2" tube compression fittings and use ptfe tape? Another option is to get a piece of copper rod and use a die to cut treads. The you could easily solder this to your pipe if you drilled the right side hole for it to fit over the pipe. This way you could still unscrew the valve for cleaning etc..

. . . . . I had not even thought of copper rod . . . .
B
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

I built a 2" Boka at first and planned to make a pot head but I like the Boka for making my whiskey. The main reason is I have issues with heads even smelling some scotch gives me a nasty head ach. With the boka you can compress the heads nicely and then open up and run in pot mode. I like that feature so much I went 3" recently and not built a pot setup as a result.

B