HERB CHICKEN BREASTS

Ingredience
Fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme and sage)
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
Season salt
Pepper to taste
Skinless chicken breasts

INSTRUCTIONS
Chop herbs and place in a small bowl with 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil. Add season salt and pepper to taste.
Rub mixture over the chicken breasts and let marinate for an hour or so.
Smoke the chicken breasts using apple or mesquite wood chips for 1-3 hours at 225 degrees.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Smoked Chicken Breasts

Post by NZChris »

I hate chicken breast. It's a dry piece of meat that nobody that frequents my kitchen knows how to cook.

Somehow, I stumbled on a couple of methods of making chicken ham out of breast meat. Stuffed up a couple by overcooking in the smoker before I got it right, but now, I can make a quite reasonable chicken ham. The secret might be burying a thermocouple in the middle of the ham so that you can watch it, or automate it, and cut the heat before it turns into just another dry piece of chicken breast that nobody really wants to have to digest.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

NZChris wrote:I hate chicken breast. It's a dry piece of meat that nobody that frequents my kitchen knows how to cook.

Somehow, I stumbled on a couple of methods of making chicken ham out of breast meat. Stuffed up a couple by overcooking in the smoker before I got it right, but now, I can make a quite reasonable chicken ham. The secret might be burying a thermocouple in the middle of the ham so that you can watch it, or automate it, and cut the heat before it turns into just another dry piece of chicken breast that nobody really wants to have to digest.
After getting it up to the 170 internal temp of the chicken I have to agree it was a little on the dry side. I actually ended up putting a salad dressing on it and it was better.
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

NZChris wrote:I stumbled on a couple of methods of making chicken ham out of breast meat.
Please post these recipes...We do a lot of chicken in our house and this sounds great...so.please post.
Getting hung up all day on smiles
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

http://justbento.com/handbook/johbisai/ ... hicken-ham cooked in smoker is probably my favorite.

The other is this ham recipe and method, but I substitute chicken breast, marinating loose for three days, then rinsing and tying before smoking. http://thehealthyfoodie.com/homemade-smoked-ham/
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

THANK YOU ! I'm going to try this...I may use thigh meat and see how that hams (right now a ten pound bag legs and thighs cost only $5.90 at Walmart) If it blows chunks I'll get a pack of breasts...anyhow Thank you thank you ! ! I'll tell you how it goes.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I'm sure thighs would be better, I've just never gotten around to trying them. My usual trick is to cut up a couple of large birds and get the breasts into marinade so that Her Indoors isn't tempted to cook them.
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

NZChris wrote: Her Indoors
:D Wahine or whaiāipo
Blarney Stoned
Swill Maker

Post by Blarney Stoned »

Bushman wrote:Currently in the smoker as I post.

HERB CHICKEN BREASTS

Ingredience
Fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme and sage)
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
Season salt
Pepper to taste
Skinless chicken breasts

INSTRUCTIONS
Chop herbs and place in a small bowl with 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil. Add season salt and pepper to taste.
Rub mixture over the chicken breasts and let marinate for an hour or so.
Smoke the chicken breasts using apple or mesquite wood chips for 1-3 hours at 225 degrees.
Thanks for posting B'man.

Luvin' my new toy !!! https://greenmountaingrills.com/product ... rill-wifi/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Nice. love smoked food.

For chicken breast I find its best to brine it. If brining over night, I like 1 gallon water, 1 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup picking salt. A couple tbs of cider vinager will help tenderize them.

When you cook it stop at about 165F max. It will be nice and juicy so long as you let rest for about 20 minutes wrapped in foil once pulled off just under 165F (Goal is to have it just hit 165F in the rest period.)

If you want a milder smoke you can use Sugar Maple. nice mild smoke for delicate chicken and fish too.

B