Outdoor burner that can run on house low pressure propane

LP, NG, gas burners of all types. Wood, coal or Steam equipment.

Moderator: Site Moderator

mass thumper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Outdoor burner that can run on house low pressure propane

Post by mass thumper »

I have been on this quest for ever. I got a King Kooker model 86PKT to run my 2 beer keg thumper and it does well. I ran pipe and shut off valves to an old propane outdoor cooker regulator to an OPD fitting to run. Long and the short it didn't work, flame was less than a candle. I then ordered the low pressure 3 ring version heater conversion and it could not heat butter in July. Is there any outdoor cooker capable of boiling a standard Keg using the low pressure from the house. Not sure what in water column inches our propane is regulated to but it is for our kitchen stove dryer and boiler
Alcohol abuse is spilling it

"Bother everyone I meet and go home and get drunk " - Tip from Tippi Turtle
RedwoodHillBilly

Re: Outdoor burner that can run on house low pressure propan

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

mass thumper wrote:I have been on this quest for ever. I got a King Kooker model 86PKT to run my 2 beer keg thumper and it does well. I ran pipe and shut off valves to an old propane outdoor cooker regulator to an OPD fitting to run. Long and the short it didn't work, flame was less than a candle. I then ordered the low pressure 3 ring version heater conversion and it could not heat butter in July. Is there any outdoor cooker capable of boiling a standard Keg using the low pressure from the house. Not sure what in water column inches our propane is regulated to but it is for our kitchen stove dryer and boiler
Should be regulated to 10.5 - 11 inches H2O i.e. roughly 1/2 psi. Depending on how efficient your setup is (boiler insulation, flame containment, etc) you may get away with it. I tried it when I first started, but found electric to be an easier setup, although it is probably more expensive. YMMV.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

I'm confused as normal :lol:
What is "house low pressure propane"
Do you mean there's a propane tank in the yard :?:
Or is the gas piped to the house :?:
RedwoodHillBilly

shadylane wrote:I'm confused as normal :lol:
What is "house low pressure propane"
Do you mean there's a propane tank in the yard :?:
Or is the gas piped to the house :?:
Either way, the normal pressure is regulated to 10.5 in H2O. I run my house on propane and that is what I set my regulator to.
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

Is the OP talking about natural gas perhaps?
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

skow69 wrote:Is the OP talking about natural gas perhaps?

That was my thought too skow. Op. If you're trying to use a propane burner with natural gas it won't work. You need a different type of regulator and different orifices.
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

yakattack wrote:

That was my thought too skow. Op. If you're trying to use a propane burner with natural gas it won't work. You need a different type of regulator and different orifices.
...and if it's the case that he has low-pressure natural gas, then he's in like Flynn. I just put together an outdoor burner and stand for brewing beer using an existing LPNG line, and it freaking roars. It'll boil 8 gallons in roughly 1/2 hour. The 23-jet natural gas burner ring was around $30 on amazon. (Much more when you include hose, ball valve, and stand materials of course.)
mass thumper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by mass thumper »

I have propane not natural gas in the house unfortunatly. I got a low pressure burner from King Kooker and it just looked like candles lit up with the propane line from the house. Would a low pressure regulator allow a greater volume of gas? The regulator I am using is from an old turkey fryer that ran off of 20 lb tanks.
Badmotivator wrote:
yakattack wrote:

...and if it's the case that he has low-pressure natural gas, then he's in like Flynn. I just put together an outdoor burner and stand for brewing beer using an existing LPNG line, and it freaking roars. It'll boil 8 gallons in roughly 1/2 hour. The 23-jet natural gas burner ring was around $30 on amazon. (Much more when you include hose, ball valve, and stand materials of course.)
Just wondering what burner you have with the 23 jets?
Alcohol abuse is spilling it

"Bother everyone I meet and go home and get drunk " - Tip from Tippi Turtle
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

mass thumper wrote: I ran pipe and shut off valves to an old propane outdoor cooker regulator to an OPD fitting to run. Long and the short it didn't work

this statement leads me to think you have over regulated your supply.

as stated twice by redwood hillbilly 10.5 IWC is standard propane appliance

operating pressure, and if you had that your burner would work.

propane home instillation involves these pieces.

1. a tank that carries tank pressure that varies according to ambient temperature.

2. a high pressure regulator at the tank

3. a low pressure regulator that is either attached to the high pressure regulator

at the tank, (dual stage) or attached to the house and connected to the high pressure regulator

with a supply line. the pressure after the second regulator will be 10.5~ and will run appliances.

4. distribution pipe that supplies appliances with 10.5 IWC propane. no further regulation

of pressure is needed.

it appears you have added a third regulator to a 10.5 IWC. supply line. if that is what you did

regulator #3 is designed to regulate tank pressure down to 10.5 IWC in one stage.

check your supply from your tank to see if you have 3 regulators installed instead of 2 .

please triple check any work you do with any flammable gas
be water my friend
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

mass thumper wrote:
Search "23-jet natural gas burner" and you will find tons of offers. For example: https://www.amazon.com/Commercial-Use-T ... B008HTCMSY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
RedwoodHillBilly

Badmotivator wrote:
mass thumper wrote:
Search "23-jet natural gas burner" and you will find tons of offers. For example: https://www.amazon.com/Commercial-Use-T ... B008HTCMSY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Or perhaps this one for propane since the OP is using propane instead of natural gas (methane).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016NA3XAO/re ... B008HTCMSY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Aussiedownunder01
Bootlegger

Post by Aussiedownunder01 »

Those burners are good for high heat but you cant turn them down to a low heat like a 4 ring burner you can drop them a bit then the flames start to carbon up
I have one sitting in the useless pile in the shed
A Rambo wok burner is a better deal