Hi from Melbourne

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

messanger
Novice

Hi from Melbourne

Post by messanger »

Hi guys i'm Tyson and i am fairly new to this. Bought myself a turbo 500 just to get started and looking to upgrade in the not too distant future once i have pumped out a few batches :).

I'm interested in making simple washes such as sugar, fruit and moving into various vodka washes too.

Looking forward to learning as much as i can on here.

Cheers
Bushman
Admin

Re: Hi from Melbourne

Post by Bushman »

Welcome, seems like a lot of those Turbo 500 stills are sold in your neck of the woods, we have a lot of good sugar wash recipes in our Tried & True Recipe section. If your looking at a vodka I would suggest you try the Birdwatchers recipe. It makes a good non flavored neutral, it's what I use for my liqueurs.
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

I'll second the Birdwatcher's recipe (found here.)
Scale it down for your batch. Very nice neutral.
Welcome to the club.
messanger
Novice

Post by messanger »

Awesome guys, will try it next batch, i have sure heard great things about this birdwatchers recipe. Thankyou much appreciated.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

G'day messanger Welcome aboard. Take most of what is said in the T500 manual with a grain of salt.
It will more than likely tell you that you don't need to make cuts. At least cuts were never mentioned in the owners manual that came with mine.
The two biggest improvements you can make to your booze is to learn to make good cuts and to get away from using turbo yeast....or turdbo as some call it.
Have a hunt around the forum and find "Kiwis guide to Cuts"
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

G'day Tyson I'm near Ballarat. Those t500s are strickly a one trick pony, they make neutral spirit and nothing else. There is some advise floating around that you can run that still in pot mode and that advise is false. The still has synthetic parts and doing so will damage it normally the first time you try so you will need to look at making a pot still head before running fruit brandies. There are threads on here on how to swap out the synthetic parts should they cause you issues but its a pretty common still and a lot of folks never have problems with them. As SBB says the instructions are pretty useless and designed to facilitate the on selling of other often unnecessary products, piss the horrid turdo yeast off do read up on cuts and fractions forget about carbon filtering/flavouring and you will make a spirit to be proud of. There are a lot of great libations that can be made from a quality neutral.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin