Sorry for the likely old ass question

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Jerrycan in Japan
Novice

Sorry for the likely old ass question

Post by Jerrycan in Japan »

Start by saying I have read a bunch but not all of required reading .

Equipment

Brewhause four inch sectioned colum 15 gal boiler .

Mash recipe used birdwatcher first a five gallon wash then a doubled quantity wash . As far as the doubled quantity wash it called for a whole cup of yeast ( used DADY )

So far two stripping runs

first run I dumped about 250 ml

Second I dumped about 1000 ml

Collected second run in quart jars in 500 ml quantities per . Total jar count 9

First and second defiantly had a nail polish kinda stench

3-4 were better more of a strong alcohol smell

5-6 not bad clean smell

The rest progressed to a strong yeast smell

I stopped pulling at 70% ( was late and needed to go to Tokyo the next dawn )

I pulled fast as I haven't figured out how to control the speed very well yet . ( using two band heaters Rated for American 110 but have 100 v .

Anyway my question is how to rid my product of the yeast smell ?

Am I using too much yeast ? DADY Call for one tbls per gallon but I'm going by the recipe and it called for a ton more .

In any case I'm just collecting for a spirit run for now this isn't for drinking yet .

Thanks for any input and nudges in the proper direction .

Will try to answer any questions best I can I admit I didn't take notes but my starting gravity was 1.08 FG 1.00 - wash finished at nearly 10% on the alco meter .
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Sorry for the likely old ass question

Post by still_stirrin »

Jerrycan in Japan wrote:...two stripping runs...first run I dumped about 250 ml <- That's about right for a foreshots cut for a 5 to 8 gallon charge.
Second I dumped about 1000 ml <- That's about right for foreshots cut for 4 charges of 5 to 8 gallons.
Collected second run in quart jars in 500 ml quantities per . Total jar count 9 <- Total collected for the 2nd run was approx. 4-1/2 liters? (after dumping a liter out)

Anyway my question is how to rid my product of the yeast smell ? Am I using too much yeast ?
You shouldn't need more than 11 to 15 grams (probably around a Tablespoon's worth) per 5 gallons of ferment for either a bread yeast or distiller's yeast. Properly rehydrated and aerated, it will bud (reproduce) healthy yeast to populate to the necessary population for latent fermentation.
Jerrycan in Japan wrote:...In any case I'm just collecting for a spirit run for now this isn't for drinking yet.
Have you completed the mandatory cleaning runs, including a sacrificial alcohol run? If not, then your 1st run was exactly that and all of the product from that run should be dumped out.

Also, aside from a foreshots cut, there is no need to make cuts on a stripping run. Just collect it all until the collected product is 30 to 35%ABV. This is your "low wines" which you process through the spirit run. Then, you collect in small jars...enough so you collect at least a dozen, preferrably 2 dozen, jars for making cuts.

Mark them with sequence number and proof measurement and then cover with a coffee filter or paper towel for 24-36 hours to outgas the volatile vapors. That'll reduce the ethyl acetate (nail polish) smell significantly.

But your complaint of "yeast smell" sounds like the tails. I associate that (tails) with a "wet dog" or sometimes "cardboard" smell. On a grain mash, it will also have a "grain husk" smell. But in a sugar wash, it does often smell "yeasty".

Good luck. Be safe, responsible, and discrete.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Jerrycan in Japan
Novice

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I did do a cleaning run , I used three gallons of box wine and resulting product smelled kinda good but I just use as a cleaner . Seems a good use for all forshots ..

Ok . For the next ferment I try using less yeast . Which will work out for me as I have to order from the states .

Ordered a five pound bag of malted rye ... 80 freaking dollars to ship to me ... Christ on a biscuit ..

. cracked corn ... don't get me started ... for now I'll try to get this birdwatchers under control ..

sugar is cheap but tomato paste is hard to source ..
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Jerrycan in Japan wrote:...for now I'll try to get this birdwatchers under control...sugar is cheap but tomato paste is hard to source ..
You might give Rad's All Bran recipe a try. I prefer it over the BW for making neutral. And if you've got enzymes, I bet you have the ingredients there to make a fantastic rice mash...also a great neutral base.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
just sayin
Rumrunner

Post by just sayin »

Uncle Remus rice vodka has been a favorite here since 2007. Welcome & enjoy!
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

Can you get any sort of breakfast cereal? Most work fairly well as they get enriched with extra nutrients.

Or, thinking about it... how's about some powdered kombu or nori? That stuff is supposed to be loaded with nutrients if I recall.

Ha... yeah... rice... totally forgot about the rice. I'd go with that :-)
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Jerrycan in Japan wrote: Yes I did do a cleaning run , I used three gallons of box wine and resulting product smelled kinda good but I just use as a cleaner .
It's dirty and possibly toxic. If you dump it, there won't be a chance of someone accidentally, or deliberately, drinking it.
Jerrycan in Japan
Novice

NZChris wrote:
Jerrycan in Japan wrote: Yes I did do a cleaning run , I used three gallons of box wine and resulting product smelled kinda good but I just use as a cleaner .
It's dirty and possibly toxic. If you dump it, there won't be a chance of someone accidentally, or deliberately, drinking it.

Haha good point ... I did label the bottle very well . In English :D hope none of my neighbors get brave :crazy:

I can use breakfast cereal to make neutral ? Now I need to go price it and have a look at the recipe.

Rice .. rice is dirt cheap I'll go have a read on the recipe mentioned .

Thanks guys
Tapeman
Novice

Post by Tapeman »

I thought the extra charge of yeast is boiled to kill it so it can be used as food for the yeast added to do the fermentation? Also, did you allow the wash to settle for a couple of days followed by a careful racking? Those Dead yeast cells stink when they are heated up.
Jerrycan in Japan
Novice

Tapeman wrote:I thought the extra charge of yeast is boiled to kill it so it can be used as food for the yeast added to do the fermentation? Also, did you allow the wash to settle for a couple of days followed by a careful racking? Those Dead yeast cells stink when they are heated up.

No I didn't , though I did filter the wash through cheese cloth as I was filling the boiler .

I don't really have the space or the agreements in place with the wife to have a bunch of large bottles sitting around .
Tapeman
Novice

Post by Tapeman »

Just letting it sit for a couple of days after the fermentation is over then carefully siphoning it into your still is usually enough to clarify the wash. Keep trying! It's a constant learning process
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

You are worrying too much, cuts on low wines is simply not needed and a waste of alcohol. As for taste its low wines all of it will taste smeared because that's what it is. Don't significantly change your recipe until you have enough for your spirit run.
You can make a fine neutral from rice, I have been present when friends have ran rice and found it pretty neutral.
A lot of guys will say birdwatcher's is not that great a recipe and that statement makes me question how good a stiller they actually are, if anything birdwatcher's it a little on the high sugar side and you can keep the yeast happier dropping it a bit otherwise its good.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

thecroweater wrote:A lot of guys will say birdwatcher's is not that great a recipe....
I've seen that, too, and wondered what the hell.
Just finishing 3 bucket runs and find it extremely pleasant.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

thecroweater wrote:A lot of guys will say birdwatcher's is not that great a recipe and that statement makes me question how good a stiller they actually are...
Me too. I've done a few BW's and never had a hint of tomato in the final product except for one. That was an experimental run made out of the foreshots, heads and extreme tails, with the intention of concentrating the tomato flavors to see if it was possible. It was possible, but the tomato wasn't very strong and needed added tomato juice to make a nice Bloody Mary style cocktail.