cider press for pressing corn mash WHIZBANG

Post by dukethebeagle120 »

i saw this article on the WHIZBANG cider press
a diy project that seemed simple and looked like it could press corn
so i took an hour and built one.
seemed to do look like it will work
anyone ever tried a cider press to do corn and how did it turn out
thnx fellers
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed
Bushman
Admin

Re: cider press for pressing corn mash WHIZBANG

Post by Bushman »

Got a link to the article?
Soft batch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Soft batch »

Yes, I have used my Whizbang press (varient of) to squeeze corn. I use paint strainer bag instead of a cloth - much easier. It does squeeze it dry, end up with a lot of yeast trub though, you have to let it settle after squeezing.
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

heres a link you a short video.
you see the press in action around the 2:30 mark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LNz0v_So_Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
http://thedeliberateagrarian.blogspot.c ... -2013.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed
APD
Novice

Post by APD »

Are there any negative aspects to wringing out corn or even barley with a press after mashing?

I do a brew in the bag, with my grain bag inside a large S/S steamer bin with a raised base, inside my mashing pot (to avoid the bag getting burn't on the pot base) and always lament the amount of liquid (and sugar) retained in the grain even after sparging.

Tried wringing it out in handfuls (like squeezing little grain snowballs) one time out of interest.
Took ages to accomplish but had a higher abv than one of my normal all grain conversions and the final distilled product had a lot of peat flavour carried thru'.

Had been mulling over building a press for a while just for this - using a plastic bucket as in that vid' makes it an easy build.
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

APD wrote:Are there any negative aspects to wringing out corn or even barley with a press after mashing?

I do a brew in the bag, with my grain bag inside a large S/S steamer bin with a raised base, inside my mashing pot (to avoid the bag getting burn't on the pot base) and always lament the amount of liquid (and sugar) retained in the grain even after sparging.

Tried wringing it out in handfuls (like squeezing little grain snowballs) one time out of interest.
Took ages to accomplish but had a higher abv than one of my normal all grain conversions and the final distilled product had a lot of peat flavour carried thru'.

Had been mulling over building a press for a while just for this - using a plastic bucket as in that vid' makes it an easy build.

If it's a fine Crack or flour you'll never get it to press. The press needs a corse Crack ot yoy have to use rice hulls or the like. Press works well for barly aND wheat though.
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

+1 yak
i tried and it did not work well
i had a fine crack
i did though use the bucket and fill the 5 gallon bags with the mash
tie a loose knot in the bag and drop the bag in the bucket.
then put the bucket with holes over my brew pot with some firring strips crossways
this is gonna sound bad but you have to kind of massage the bag :wtf:
it takes about 5 minutes to work out all the water.
squeeze dry refill.
30 gallon took about 1/2 hour
a little messy so do it were cleanup is easy
like i said this really sounds bad but that what i did and it works good :crazy:
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

dukethebeagle120 wrote: i had a fine crack; you have to kind of massage the bag :wtf:
it takes about 5 minutes,
a little messy so do it were cleanup is easy;
what i did and it works good :crazy:
No one doubts your bag handling skills duke. :p

Yak
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
WIski
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WIski »

Yak that's just hilarious...... :clap:

I grind all the grain with an industrial coffee grinder and find squeezing the ferment with a mop wringer and paint strainer bag not a pleasant task but very doable. Let the yeast and fines settle a couple days after squeezing and siphon off the clear liquid to boil. Works for me and gives a little work out too. :eugeek: