Glass marbles

Moderator: Site Moderator

Klein
Site Donor
Site Donor

Glass marbles

Post by Klein »

So I've built my self a 4" column for marbles with room for 60" of packing. Dry weight 55 pounds.
Did some test this evening and running water down the packed column cleans the marbles very well.

I'm wondering if I can just leave my marbles in my column. I'd like to be able to leave my column on my boiler with the top open and the fill port of my boiler open for air.

Or should I remove the marbles each time to dry them?
masonsjax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Glass marbles

Post by masonsjax »

I remove my column from the boiler each time, but I leave the marbles in it, no problems yet.
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

I have three offset columns on my still the first two are plates but the third is marbles.
With all the piping involved to tie it all together, taking it apart each time would not be feasible.So I piped in a clean in place on each column. The clean in place on the three 4" columns is just 3/8" od copper soldered into the very top of the column riser and then piped to a bank of valves (11 total). The valves are supplied with hot water. When I am done running I just give it a really good flush for about a minute or two for each riser and column. Works great and I have had no problems.
Yours will be much simpler to do and should work very well for you.
The liver is evil and must be punished
Cranky"s spoon feeding for new and novice distillers
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

Windy City wrote:I have three offset columns on my still the first two are plates but the third is marbles.
With all the piping involved to tie it all together, taking it apart each time would not be feasible.So I piped in a clean in place on each column. The clean in place on the three 4" columns is just 3/8" od copper soldered into the very top of the column riser and then piped to a bank of valves (11 total). The valves are supplied with hot water. When I am done running I just give it a really good flush for about a minute or two for each riser and column. Works great and I have had no problems.
Yours will be much simpler to do and should work very well for you.
How are yous getting on Windy, can we expect to see a product on the shelves anytime soon?
Don't be a dick
Klein
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klein »

Thanks for the replies, it will make things easier not having to remove the column. Was also thinking about adding a spray ball in my boiler then it gets cold to do anymore runs. Would make one less thing to do.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Pretty compressive thread on marbles if you haven't seen it yet.
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... it=Marbles
Klein
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klein »

Yup, that thread was one of the reasons that I have marbles.... so many marbles