Update on the white peaches

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Old Town
Swill Maker

Update on the white peaches

Post by Old Town »

I picked around a hundred pounds of peaches today and have a lot more to pick. Some of them are not quite ripe but I figured if I leave them sit a few days before freezing they will be ok? The damn bugs where starting to tear them up. I got a lot of work ahead of me wish I had some help near by. I hope its worth all the work in the end. I still need to build some kind of fruit press.
Attachments
image.jpeg
just sayin
Rumrunner

Re: Update on the white peaches

Post by just sayin »

Old Town, there is nothing more tasty than peach well done. It will be worth it!
I would spread the peaches out and go through them daily. Don't freeze until they are ripe, juicy and at peek flavor. Select and freeze only the peaches that have fully ripened. It will take a few days, but it is well worth your time, you will avoid under ripe and over ripe peaches. A nice ripe peach is great eating and even better sipping.
Good luck! Let us know how you labor pans out.
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

Just sayin
Thanks for the advice man, ill keep you all posted on my progress. I have really been looking forward to these peach trees to be ready. Before this new hobby they just all went to waist.
Last edited by Old Town on Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

Fruit envy.....
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Just send them to me and I'll do all the work :lol:

I'm jealous because the peaches in Va were shit this year and over priced for the ones we did have.

you got sound advice about freezing the ripe ones and letting the others set, also you need no press!!!

Just squeeze and pull the stones, use a screen to get the pulp and goodies through. Just leave plenty of head space as there will be a cap from hell.

you can press if you want just juice but with mine I kept it all in for more flavor... not sure it produces more but that's what I did.

Shine0n
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

ShineOn if I use the squeeze method do I need to strain them before adding to the boiler? Or will it be ok to just rack it straight into the boiler and run it slow?

Also do you add any water to your fermenter or just straight peaches?
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

This is the yeast I have been using will this be ok for the peaches?
Attachments
image.jpeg
just sayin
Rumrunner

Post by just sayin »

You will get much better flavor with a wine yeast. There are many here who can give you better advice than me...
just sayin
Rumrunner

Post by just sayin »

It is worthwhile ordering the optimum yeast to maximize the specific esters required to properly showcase the peachy goodness...that is why I gladly defer to the masters here.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Considering the amount of time and effort you are going to put into making this product, skimping on doing research to find and obtain the best yeast for it seems like a bad idea to me.
Angoth
Novice

Post by Angoth »

I'm doing peaches right now. The guy from from the brewstore (also makes his own wine) told me to use an universal wine yeast. I use de wineyeast from Oenoferm (Characteristics), which is sold under the trademark Erboferm in the US.
Although I was planning to make a peach brandy and the peach mash is still bubbling, the taste & smell are so wonderful i'm considering to leave it as a wine instead of distilling it.
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Hey Old Town Buddy.
Get the best goodness out of those peaches with an optimum yeast.
Check the first two posts in this thread: Peach Yeast.

I signed up for Amazon Prime for great deals and fast, free shipping. 10-pack of Lalvin ICV-D47 and other demands makes Prime worth the cost.

Remember, HD Google Search is your best friend here.
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

Thanks for the advice guys I'm going with the wine yeast. I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to add sugar or not? I'm may do one with sugar and one without and see what one I like better.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Ot, it all depends on if you use fire or an internal element.
I use propane but also have a thumper so I took all the clear in the boiler and pulp and all went into the thumper.

I had 45 gallons of must so there was plenty of clear and a pretty good amount of solids as well.

ec1118 is a great yeast for fruit as it ferments dry as a bone and cuts are pretty easy, as for the d47 is also from what I've read and heard but I've heard the cuts can be a bit more tricky. I've not used it yet because the peaches were crap this year as well as much of the fruit in Va. I just couldn't justify paying that much for fruit plus I have my hands full with the apple season fast approaching.

I've done 3 peach ferments and did all 3 different, one I added water and sugar, another just sugar, and one just fruit.

the one with water and sugar turned out fine as wine, I don't remember how much water but the sugar was .5 lb per gallon

the just sugar was the same ratio .5 per gal of total volume

the all peach was 45 gallons of pure peach puree minus the stones, skins. it had a lower sg which was fine as I was after the quality aspects of it. I didn't get all the skins out thought but most was out.

all in all, all 3 are delicious and can't hardly tell the difference except the one with water is slightly less fragrant and not as sweet but delicious none the less.

if you have enough to do a 45 gal wash I'd go all natural just because of the flavor, BUT... It won't hurt a thing IMHO to add some sugar.
just go low on it or the sugar bite will take away from the overall experience.

don't be afraid of the heads with this as much of the flavor will be there and time will be your friend with this too.

I kept all mine white as it's so good, I couldn't justify using wood that "could" overtake or overpower the already elusive peach flavor.

I need to find time to get to SC to meet with bavis as he just did a massive amount of peach and he did all kinds of playing around with them. I'm going to bring him a few bottles of my white rum for a friendly gift.

I'm wishing you the best on this, oh... collect in small jars to not miss on the cuts as they change quite quickly. I think I used over 75 jars on the all peach one.

Shine0n
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

Ok guys I plan on documenting my first fruit run step by step with pic's. The peaches are ripe and in the freezer ready to go. I just need to figure out how I'm going to press them. I look forward to any advice along the way even if it's negative, which I know I'll get. I'm pretty ignorant at this new hobby but I love it.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

It is really easy to fall into the trap of throwing out the flavors with the skins, fores, heads, tails and backset, so do your homework well. There are plenty of posts of advice and successes and failures here to read before you start.

Start here for a good overview of fruit brandy techniques.
http://ww.homedistiller.org/forum/viewt ... 38&t=48526
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

if ya plannin on squeezing try out the nylon brew bags or a burlap sac as it's coarse enough to juice. and to save your hands get a mop press as they work well

definitely do some reading on fruit as I'm sure you have already but a little more deep thread searching will show some do's and don't s.

the peaches are frozen now so their good and now it's time to make positive of what you want to do.

good luck,
Shine0n
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Also, if you plan on removing all the skins (good luck) be sure to make a separate ferment with them!

Some added sugar ( less than .5 lb per gal) will be a good place to start and I'd invert it!
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

NZChris thanks for the link it was a very helpful thread.
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

Ok I did some reading and I'm going with the LLLVIN D47 yeast.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

good choice OT, I think that's I'll use on my hard cider.
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

ShineOn, I'm going to try the mop press. Still life posted a thread about the mop press in the off topic area. I'm going to give it a shot with the peaches.
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

Trying a test jar of my peaches using the panty dropper method. I'm going to let them sit for a week strain the liquor into a separate jar. Add sugar too the peaches until the quit making syrup and add the syrup back to the liquor.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I hope the white peaches are better than cling, I didn't get no peach carryover with them, I did However use rum as the base which may have contributed to my demise. lol

are you going to try a ferment with the skins?
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

I'm just going too remove the stones and press them in a mesh bag. I think I'll save all the leftovers for a separate ferment.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

wise decision to ferment the skins, if you have a thumper I'd put the lot in there while stripping the clear in the boiler. if you have no thumper ya might want to rethink it.

I've been asked how or why my low wines are high in abv and it because of the thumper, running without, my high abv is 120 and with, it's 160-165.

I don't mind cutting it with water to get what I need for a spirit run, it's not really that much I have to add if I run way low on the strip plus on the spirit run I'll have a load of hearts with little heads and good tasting tails (to a degree) alot gets used if I'm aging long term but if sipping young I'm a little tighter on the cuts and blending.

Shine0n
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I hope you're not talking about pressing before the ferment.
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

NZChris.
Well I planed on it but I'm up for any advice. I know you'll probably just tell me to do more research. I've been reading my ass off but still don't know exactly what rout I should take?
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

I did read to ferment first then purée the ferment after its finished, then add it to the boiler. Maybe that's what you're suggesting?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I've not heard that one before. I can't imagine why it would be a good idea.

There's good flavor in the skin and pulp, so do the best you can to capture it using the equipment you have. If you can, don't press, run with the pulp in the boiler or thumper. If you.have to press, ferment it first.