Anyone know of a good thread describing the plumbing of a ke

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Anyone know of a good thread describing the plumbing of a ke

Post by raketemensch »

I’ve got a second keg to use as a thumper, and enough 2” pipe to plumb it up. I located a 2” tee, which I would solder a flange onto for attaching to the snake port, but it’s the plumbing inside the tee that escapes me.

The single inlet/outlet that I’m trying to sort out... I know it’s been done many times, but I can’t seem to find good plans for it.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: Anyone know of a good thread describing the plumbing of

Post by Truckinbutch »

There are several threads that have diagrams . Try the Google search function . It's a relatively simple deal once you see a picture .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

It essentially just a "pipe in a pipe" construction...like a Liebig.
The smaller pipe goes down towards the bottom of the thumper, the larger diameter sits over this small pipe connecting only to the top of the thumper (it's the outlet to the product cooler).
The left side of the drawing shows how a Liebig could be integrated into the build.
thump2.jpg
thump2.jpg (6.14 KiB) Viewed 1643 times
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Or like:
2017-05-09-10.JPG
In drawing:
Tekening.jpg
Tekening.jpg (8.63 KiB) Viewed 1634 times
I made mine of a 15-15-22 mm coupling, filed out the rim in the 15 to 22 mm part, so the 15 mm pipe could go through the coupling to the bottom of the thumper.
That is the input.
The output is the rest of the 22 mm and then to the 15 mm side opening.
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

Sweet, I have a 2" to 3/4" reducer here, that works perfectly.

I'll have to reduce the 2" coming from the boiler down to 3/4", dropping it through the reducer down into the thumper, then all the vapor rising from the thump will be forced into the T, and out the side to my liebig.

Thanks, everyone.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Glad you can see where you need to go now . I'm not good at referring threads I have read or I could have helped more .
Just remember that bubbles to the bottom of the thumper usually result in good things dribbling from the condenser .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

If you have enough 2" go all the way to the thumper before reducing, I wish I had done that!

I have enough 2" and soon as I have some time might make that change.

Very simple build!!!
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

I’m perfectly happy with the flute, but the thumper still calls to me. I have to try it.

I was (more) ignorant when I first started, so I picked up almost 4’ of 2” for what ended up just being a tall pot column. I should have enough to go keg -> keg, but I’m still looking at a parts list that will catch “the accountant’s” eye. Gotta be crafty.

2" copper elbow 11 http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-inch-90-Degre ... Sw4IlZeN0g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
2" copper tee 24 http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-034-Copper-Te ... 1217626496" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow?
2" ferrule 15 http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Copper-Tri-Cl ... Sww5hZI3nZ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

thought you needed a tee like this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-3-4-x-2-Wro ... SwB09YKiq6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

so you reduce to 3/4 just before goign in to the keg, the 3/4 goes all the way to the bottom and then the vapour comes up out the side of the tee.

no room for the vapour to go out if you use 2" all the way in to the keg, well actually I don't think 2" will fit in to the keg, never tried it but wuoldn't have though so.
from my reading I believe 3/4 all the way is ample, if you have it, else work with the 2" you have.
Don't be a dick
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

Well, that’s my plan, except I already have the 2” to 3/4” reducer here, so I’m buying a cheaper tee.

Or, at least, what I thought was a cheaper tee. That one’s only a dollar more, might as well save the soldering. Good find.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

You'll love it the same as long as you have fill ports and drains, if not it can become a Hassle to pick them up and drain.
I'm still young and strong enough but very soon I'll add those elements to save my back.

I have 1" from the 2" and haven't had any problems, 3/4 is small as I would concider going though. I feel safer with the 1"
I didn't document my build as well as I should've and I may still rewrite it so it can be followed, I will document my next one a bit better.
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

Well, I have one keg with fill/drain ports, and one without. I’m seriously thinking about picking up one of those 26 gallon boilers come Christmas, then I can use the ported keg for a thump. So this might have to wait.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

I can't stress how important fill and drain ports are . Without them , I would not be stilling .
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

Yeah, it makes all the difference for sure. I can just barely get my hand and arm into the 4” port on the top of my keg, which is crucial when I’m boiling with bananas...