scrapping a freezer to make insulated box

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

scrapping a freezer to make insulated box

Post by Pikey »

I have a working chest freezer which is really old. It's been in the garage for 12 years working and I got it for nothing from a guy who was throwing it out 12 years ago, so I'm going to scrap it and hopefully use the sides and lid to make an enclosure for 2x 220 Litre olive barrels to ferment through the winter. I'm wondering whether this would work and how to form corners and joints if i have to cut and join.

The freezer is a 10.5 cu foot chest freezer, stands about waist high. The barrels are a little higher. :?
Tater
Admin

Re: scrapping a freezer to make insulated box

Post by Tater »

just ferment in freezer line with plastic sheet if ya think nessary.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Blarney Stoned
Swill Maker

Post by Blarney Stoned »

still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

You can add an extension above the chest if you need it taller. I’ve seen this done many times with “keezers”, where brewers turn them into kegerators by adding a 2x6 board around the top rim. Insulate it and seal it to the chest. Reattach the top hinge onto your extension. Often brewers add taps in the extension rather than risk damaging the refrigerant coil lines in the chest.

Need a foto? Google “keezer”.
ss

here —> https://www.coldbreakbrewing.com/pages/ ... d-a-keezer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I f you wreck it, how are you going to cool it when a rampant ferment overheats?
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Oh bugga :roll:

I spent all day plotting the wall layout with a mate - 2 big fermenters - preheater up high, still lower, thumper, - all sitting in /on / under Dexion racking :D - All I need to do is lose that freezer and insulate the fermenters - Hey wait, I can use the insulated sides etc to box the fermenters in :D ANd still plenty of space for storage on the racking. :) - Got an old incubater I can use as a thermostat controlled heat source :D

Now thanks to you lot, it looks like I have to keep the freezer. I just measured the diameters of the fermenters and it looks as though they "Might just" fit in the freezer - then again knowing my luck it's more likely they "Just won't" :(

But, to make it work, I'll need to miss out one of the front legs. and I suppose when the lid is down I can use the top of the freezer as a workbench, But my storage on the racking is going down and the other equipment will be squeezed - if I can get it in. Actualy I may need to lose 2 complete bays of racking, which will lose a lot of stability :roll:

CAn't get to the freezer at the mo to open it, but I'll give this some more thought tomorrow. I'll give all the ideas a good thought for a while.

As for NZChris's question - I've never had a runaway ferment - Might be nice

Thanks for all your contributions Folks.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Pikey wrote:As for NZChris's question - I've never had a runaway ferment - Might be nice
You've never fermented in a well enough insulated box in summer to have a problem, but with decent insulation it can easily happen. I control the heating elements and compressor with one STC-1000 controller, controlling the temperature in the incubator, not the ferment.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

+1 Chris. Your words were running around in my head.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

OK lads - point taken - I'll leave the compressor and gas intact, if I can make the dimensions work :thumbup:

[EDit thanks ss - that adaption is now the target ! :thumbup: 8) ]