Need advice building my first pot

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Gingerninjarick
Novice

Re: Need advice building my first pot

Post by Gingerninjarick »

Ok, scored 8 ft of 2" stainless FO FWEEEEE!!!! From a buddy that works at a fab shop. Cut a few pieces for column and dephlag. And took a piece to another buddies muffler shop to try out his tubing bender.. this is the best I could get (hydraulic bender but not a mandrel bender) the pic is a little distorted but I'm concerned about the wrinkles on the inside radius of the bend..
20171005_125811-600x600.jpg
Gingerninjarick
Novice

What I got so far..
20171005_140623-400x500.jpg
And the project manager expressing his concerns....
20171005_140629-400x500.jpg
Gingerninjarick
Novice

Playing with the lathe at work.. cut off a piece of 2", split it in half, pressed it flat in hydraulic press and turned it down to fit inside 2"x8" pipe. Drilled (5) 3/8''s holes in the plates (I know they'll have to be larger for 3/8 tubing but it was the closest bit I had at the time) anyway, this was just a practice run on making a shotgun deflag.. yay or nay?
20171005_215857-600x500.jpg
Gingerninjarick
Novice

OH MY GOD this stainless is the hardest most stubborn sh*t I've ever messed with!!!!
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Use Copper - Yu need some copper in there anyway :)
Gingerninjarick
Novice

Pikey wrote:Use Copper - Yu need some copper in there anyway :)
Thank god.. thought I was all alone in here.. Hahaha
I put (5) 3/8 tubed through the deflag. Im drilling holes for the water inlet/outlet now and it's kicking my a $$!
The liebig will be all copper also. I'm using what I got.
Gingerninjarick
Novice

It's official.... I am not a plumber...
20171006_152943-500x600.jpg
20171006_153016-500x600.jpg
20171006_153032-500x600.jpg
20171006_180946-500x600.jpg
Gingerninjarick
Novice

I have wasted so much solder.. not sure if I'm getting it too hot, not getting both pieces of metal hot or if there's too much gap between the two but it's like it's just evaporating but there's still a tiny gap..
Gingerninjarick
Novice

20171006_191947-500x600.jpg
3/4" over 1/2" for a liebig? Is there something I'm missing?
nuntius01
Rumrunner

Post by nuntius01 »

Gingerninjarick wrote:
well, that depends. how much flow are you pushing over it. you're not leaving a lot of room for a cooling medium to take away that heat. that means you have to do it with flow. i dont want to get to technical on it. but i seem to recall someone havong the calculation before. but if you want to do the flow calc you can.
I'm just the bank and the mule

post your still pics here
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=66917
Gingerninjarick
Novice

nuntius01 wrote:
Gingerninjarick wrote:
well, that depends. how much flow are you pushing over it. you're not leaving a lot of room for a cooling medium to take away that heat. that means you have to do it with flow. i dont want to get to technical on it. but i seem to recall someone havong the calculation before. but if you want to do the flow calc you can.
I'm not trying to get technical either, I'm just going by what I'm seeing and reading. But this 1/2" barely fits into the 3/4". Not sure if I have the wrong o.d./i.d. or if I'm misunderstanding.. I do electrical and mechanical.. never had to do much plumbing or hvac so my experience with copper is limited.. I'm thinking about just grabbing a stick of 1" and making a jacket.. not trying to hit 100% efficiency in my first build, just learn the ropes. Thanks for the reply!
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

nuntius01 wrote:
Gingerninjarick wrote:
That's just not true. 3/4 over 1/2" is the recommended size, it's been tested before and is more efficient than a larger outer shell. I use a 36" long 3/4 over 1/2" and it easily handles a 240v/5500w element on max, with little flow. Waaayyyyyy more than you'll ever need for a keg boilee
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

Damn, looking at the pic's I have to ask why such heavy stainless?? Looks like you'll have an armor plated still. The work would be much easier to solder if the metal was equal thickness, or even close. Not a comment, just an observation, each to their own. Also, solder isn't made to fill gaps, especially soft solder. I think before you continue you should practice getting your 2 unlike size & materials to the same heat at the same time in order to perfect your soldering technique. Good luck, we all start somewhere.
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

Gingerninjarick wrote:OH MY GOD this stainless is the hardest most stubborn sh*t I've ever messed with!!!!

Which is why I tried to talk you into using copper lol
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
Gingerninjarick
Novice

Antler24 wrote:
Gingerninjarick wrote:OH MY GOD this stainless is the hardest most stubborn sh*t I've ever messed with!!!!

Which is why I tried to talk you into using copper lol
That you did! Hahaha.. I mean I've worked with steel before.. I've got another project I'm working on, a suzuki samurai with 4 link Toyota suspension, doing all the fabrication myself.. but Ive never dealt with stainless.. it's tough, but do-able.. just thought for some reason it would be softer.. lesson learned..
Gingerninjarick
Novice

sltm1 wrote:Damn, looking at the pic's I have to ask why such heavy stainless?? Looks like you'll have an armor plated still. The work would be much easier to solder if the metal was equal thickness, or even close. Not a comment, just an observation, each to their own. Also, solder isn't made to fill gaps, especially soft solder. I think before you continue you should practice getting your 2 unlike size & materials to the same heat at the same time in order to perfect your soldering technique. Good luck, we all start somewhere.
Sorry sltm1, I've just now seen your post. The 8' stick of stainless was given to me for free so it's all I had at the moment. Really didn't know if it was overkill or not. I do now. And I think your right about the uneven heat. The through tubes soldered fairly easy but the plates not so easy.. should've just had them welded to begin with. I've got some ss wire coming for my mig and Ive got to get the right gas then I'll play with it some more.. it dawned on me that I don't even need the dephlag right now (if Im understanding this correctly ) if I'm just making a few brandys. I want flavor in my first couple of runs (raspberry, blackberry, plum... possibly peach) I've still got so much to learn but I know more than I did yesterday. :)
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

No apology needed...very little in my life gets done in a timely fashion any more LOL. You're right about the dephlag, for brandy's you'll be running it like a pot still, in fact, you may like the way it performs so much that you'll stick with the pot, that was my choice. To up the flavor you also might consider making a thumper and putting wash or fruit in it.
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Gingerninjarick
Novice

Thanks again sltm1, I do have another 15.5 gal keg but I'm thinking that would be wasteful to use.. I may have a 4gal ss stock pot I can weld the lid closed, with a piece of 2" stainless running through almost to the bottom then come off the lid with 1/2" into my liebig..
Gingerninjarick
Novice

I LOVE LOWES!! Im like a kid in a candy store..
-5ft stick of 3/4" type L copper pipe
-5ft stick of 1/2" type L copper pipe
-two 3/4"x1/2" "T"s
-two 3/4"x1/2" reducers
-two 1/2"x1/2"fpt fittings
- map gas torch with clicker ($55 but I wanted it) :lol:
-lead free solder kit
-small cylindrical grinder for cordless drill
TOTAL- $140... (a chunk of change but I started with nothing)

using one store to build racecars, off road buggies, sweet party liquor makers, and anything else you can think of.... PRICELESS!
20171015_172313-400x600.jpg
I used #12 romex, pulled the ground wire out of it, and spiraled it around the 1/2" output tube. It was snug! Soldered a few spots from end to end. Whole stick is 5ft with 4 ft jacket. I'm getting close to my first run. Thank you guys for all your help!
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

Gingerninjarick wrote:Thanks again sltm1, I do have another 15.5 gal keg but I'm thinking that would be wasteful to use.. I may have a 4gal ss stock pot I can weld the lid closed, with a piece of 2" stainless running through almost to the bottom then come off the lid with 1/2" into my liebig..
That second keg wouldn't be wasteful at all! I've only got one run on my pot still since adding a 7.5g keg thumper, but I'm already thinking about getting a full sized keg to replace it. I've got the fermenter space so why not up my batch size by 20%? Only drawback would be slower heat up.

That condenser will do you well! Good work so far. Did you see C2H505's recent pot still build? Very nicely built as well.
Swedish Pride wrote:
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Antler24 said, 'Only drawback would be slower heat up.'

Get a pre-heater.

And maybe put a gas ring under the thumper and turn it off before the still starts stillin'.

Geof
The Baker
Gingerninjarick
Novice

I haven't found c2h505's build yet but I'm digging. I did a rough sketch of what I could possibly do with the materials I have.. one thing I haven't taken into account is the amount of propane I'm gonna be running through...
20171015_214446-400x600.jpg
Any suggestions?
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

If it is available, natural gas.

Geoff
The Baker
C2H5O5
Swill Maker

Post by C2H5O5 »

Gingerninjarick wrote:I haven't found c2h505's build yet but I'm digging. I did a rough sketch of what I could possibly do with the materials I have.. one thing I haven't taken into account is the amount of propane I'm gonna be running through...
The attachment 20171015_214446-400x600.jpg is no longer available
Any suggestions?

I tried to keep it simple with my pot still
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=68038

I got a little more involved with my Reflux still.
Specs Post #3 http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 27&t=57874

Sight Glass / Valve http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =1&t=63054

20160917005 (Custom).jpg
20140816130 (Custom) - Copy.JPG

SPP
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 50&t=62862

Modified KAB6 Burner (post #5)
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =1&t=62067

Quick Table
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 50&t=62897

Nucleation Coils
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 50&t=62898
"Carrots may be good for your eyes, but Booze will double your vision"

HD Search This helped me!
Gingerninjarick
Novice

Thanks for the reply c2h505! Lots of great information! I've got few things coming in the mail Wednesday, ferrules, clamps, elbows, fittings and thermometer (gonna do small collections and work on taste and smell but Id like to watch the thermo just to see what's going on) I also have about 20 gals of plum, one with a little sugar, and one with A LOT, that should be about ready wednesday. So I may finish the basic pot still.. do a run or 2 or 3.. and then next week start on a thumper.
Gingerninjarick
Novice

20171017_191143-531x298.jpg
Parts came early!! Unfortunately the first 1/2"ss fmpt fittings I ordered back ordered so when I ordered from a different supplier I ordered 1/4"... :thumbdown: thermo may have to wait.. got a guy lined up to weld my ferrules which are a little loose inside my ss tubing and the d@MN 2" ss ferrules are a little too big for the 2"x1/2" copper reducer..it's gonna need some finessing.. oh and one more thing.. haha.. will the 2" ferrule clamp directly to the keg spout? With a gasket and a ferrule on the spout it's pretty tight. I haven't clamped it down yet. Just wondering if I need to modify it a bit. Eventually I'll have a 4" reducer added on but this is temporary.
Gingerninjarick
Novice

20171018_171100-298x531.jpg
20171018_170847-531x298.jpg
20171018_170410-531x298.jpg
20171018_170356-531x298.jpg
Well... here she is... the column and condensor will definitely have to be braced.. I'll eventually do a 2" column but I ran out of material.. thoughts, suggestions, best wishes? :lol:

The thermo was meant to be at the top of a column above a dephlag but plans changed.. it still can be..

The thumper has a 2" pipe that stops about an inch from the bottom with 1/8th holes drilled in it about 2-3" from the bottom of the pipe.

Think I'm gonna build a wheeled cart out of angle iron with 2 burners, 1 to heat the thumper and 1 to run the boiler. The cart is just so I can move it around to clean it or whatever.. I've got a natural gas connection at the corner of my carport so this has opened up a whole new project :? (Enclosing the end of my carport for a "tool shed" *wink wink*)