Shotgun condenser design questions

Anything cooling/condenser related.

Moderator: Site Moderator

fqu8847
Swill Maker

Shotgun condenser design questions

Post by fqu8847 »

There are several threads about shotgun design and I will look through them, but wanted to ask a question to any of you that use them.

Most of them are a tube (shell) with several through tube (inside pipes) that allow vapor to flow through the condenser. That much is simple. Granted they work extremely well, but what if we reverse the vapor and coolant areas? (This has been done on the crossflow condenser I believe, correct me if I'm wrong)
With that being said, my still builder has found a deal in some 6" copper pipe. What if I use that to make a manifold of sorts for my intended commercial setup?
I will have 3 stills all with 4" ccvm setups. What if I take those 4" columns and plumb them into a 6" crossflow that cools using the through pipes?
I suppose a 6" pipe could allow maybe 20+ 1/2" pipes? (Area of 6" divided by (area of 1/2" x 1.5))
My math could be way WAY off, but it seems plausible.
Would this be efficient and doable? (Obviously it would look cool as #@&* )
Any input is GREAT appreciated!
Old Copper Road Distillery
Ducktown, TN 37326
DSP- Pending
cob
Master of Distillation

Re: Shotgun condenser design questions

Post by cob »

pooling in that big horizontal pipe is my first thought.

how long will the condenser be?

3 stills on the same condenser raises its own questions
be water my friend
fqu8847
Swill Maker

Post by fqu8847 »

I would slant slightly to decrease any pooling, looking at right now 21" long... 4" inlet pipes x 3... one 1" outlet on the bottom side. 3 x 100 gallon pots. Judging by the "jacketed condenser" sizing on the parent site 850" of condenser should cool approximately 35kw, which is what we'll run during a spiritual run. The problem is sizing this thing up to make it functional on a stripping run too...
Ducktown, TN 37326
DSP- Pending
fqu8847
Swill Maker

Post by fqu8847 »

My original plan was to use dimroth style condensers on each lyne arm and collect into the same vessel.
That required a total 240 gallon per hour of flow and 75 feet of tubing. Doable, but might be fairly extensive in labor.
Last edited by fqu8847 on Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ducktown, TN 37326
DSP- Pending
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

its time for a drawing.
be water my friend
fqu8847
Swill Maker

Post by fqu8847 »

Essentially the crossflow would look cool, but would lack the control individual condensers would allow.
The dimroth condensers will have ball valves to allow the control of cuts to be done with the turn of a switch. Check each one for heads/hearts/tails and just turn the valve when it is time to make that cut.

PS: no judging the artistic abilities. :oops:
Attachments
2017-10-06 02.20.59.jpg
Ducktown, TN 37326
DSP- Pending
fqu8847
Swill Maker

Post by fqu8847 »

Spoke with the gentleman helping to design my still. Think we will go with three separate shotgun condensers. One for each still, and each shotgun will be 6" diameter x 15" long approx. Figuring out the exact length now, but with my calculations 1/2" pipes should actually allow me to place 30-35 through pipes. With that many (according to the parent site calcs) I should be able to handle 17.5kw to each one. Way more than my stripping runs will produce.
Ducktown, TN 37326
DSP- Pending
JeremiahJohnson
Novice

Post by JeremiahJohnson »

It's easier to clean a traditional shotgun, both after fabrication and after use. It will be difficult to access all the areas inside the condenser you propose. Is the 6" type k? If so, that will be heavy as hell. I'd go with a conventional shotgun condenser and take advantage of the large i.d. by using 3/4 or 1" product tubes. The large dimroth idea is neat and we all know the ease of mfg with ccst. Not to mention the cost efficiency ratio compared to copper. With your diverter valves, i would use two valves instead of a 3 way and just lose a little heart cut while opening the heart valve and closing the feint valve so as to never, even for half a second have a closed output. Just my two cents.
fqu8847
Swill Maker

Post by fqu8847 »

I can agree with you on the diverter valves! Hadn't thought of that actually... the dimroth csst condenser was a neat idea, but I don't think I'll be able to do it. Perhaps a traditional shotgun is the way to go here. One for each still, set up so they all three run and collect independently. Just build a catch basin to be able to direct the hearts into a vessel... hmmm
Ducktown, TN 37326
DSP- Pending
DeepSouth
Swill Maker

Post by DeepSouth »

Check out my build thread. I built several shotgun condensers out of 8" pipe. I used 37 1/2" copper tubes inside of my 8" shell. I personally don't think a 6" diameter, 15" long condenser is going to be big enough for your 100 gallon still. I have to run a pretty good flow of cooling water to my condenser to completely knock down all the vapor from my 300 gallon still. I have 150 feet of 1/2" copper pipe in my condenser for a 300 gallon still. A 6" shell is realistically only going to hold about 20 1/2" copper tubes. I'd suggest about 50' of 1/2" pipe inside each condenser, with 20 tubes that would need to be about 2.5' long, or twice as long as your original design.
Rich Grain Distilling Co., DSP-MS-20003
http://www.richdistilling.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
https://www.facebook.com/richgraindistillingco/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow