Sugar Wash Sitting Since June 6th - Oct 11th (2017)

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

svodysseus
Novice

Sugar Wash Sitting Since June 6th - Oct 11th (2017)

Post by svodysseus »

Hello,

I have read thru a few different threads and still am not sure what to think right now. I have a sugar (Birdwatchers) wash that I started on May 12th, it was ready to go on June 6th. Today is October 11th 2017.

I made a handful of washes at the time and didnt have room for all of them all in my regular space so I stuck this one in a corner out of the way. Somehow a sheet of wood got leaned against it and I forgot all about it. out of sight out of mind. Well today I moved the wood and was like oh wow thats where that other fermenting bucket went. So I am wondering if this wash is still safe to distill. Its been in the house in a back bedroom that stays around 70+ degrees sittng near the heat duct as well. The wash is super clear and looks fine, .98 gravity, I dont see like mold or anything in it. It smells a bit like wine or cider I guess. Taste a bit sweet and sour, with a bit of bitterness to it. The lid was on it the whole time with a air lock but the lid doesnt like to snap down tight but it was on the bucket. So I am wondering if its okay to run or not? Anyone have experience with something like this?

used 6 gal water
15Lbs sugar
12 oz tomato paste
85 grams yeast
masonsjax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Sugar Wash Sitting Since June 6th - Oct 11th (2017)

Post by masonsjax »

Run it, you're fine. As long as it doesn't smell horrid, doesn't have mold, it should be safe. If it sours too much or turns entirely to vinegar, you won't get much ethanol from it. Sounds like this batch is good to go.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Yep...let'r rip!

I bet it's nice and clear by now too....you won't have to worry about scorching...as many "eager beavers" have suffered through.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
svodysseus
Novice

Post by svodysseus »

Just scooped a couple dead fruit flies I just noticed out as well. Gonna just run her now tho after I get the still all ready to roll.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Yes, those silly fruit flies...they love booze...but they're lousy drinkers! Can't hold a drop! And then....they can't swim.... :crazy:
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
svodysseus
Novice

Post by svodysseus »

I usually dont have that issue, but then again I usually run my washes soon as they are ready to go and those flies get no chance to get in to the booze. I havent run anything since the end of may or start of June so these little buggers found a way in. Very disappointed in myself, I consider this alcohol abuse letting the precious wash sit like that all alone so long unused.
svodysseus
Novice

Post by svodysseus »

Well I fired her up at 3:50 pm PST and at 5:05 she was a dripping out the goods. Gave it a little taste and yup, thats some sweet strong good old sugar wash neutral gold!
still_stirrin wrote:Yep...let'r rip!

I bet it's nice and clear by now too....you won't have to worry about scorching...as many "eager beavers" have suffered through.
ss
svodysseus
Novice

Post by svodysseus »

Finished at 10:50 pm PST and the run yielded 1 full growler full and one 1.75 liter bottle full as well, all 192 proof. Cant say this went bad at all, not one little bit, glad i didnt toss it, thanks for the info and support lol
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

What is a growler?

Geoff
The Baker
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

The Baker wrote:What is a growler?

Geoff
Try google :)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Growler_%28jug%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
C2H5O5
Swill Maker

Post by C2H5O5 »

The Baker wrote:What is a growler?

Geoff
14968-33189.jpg
14968-33189.jpg (35.49 KiB) Viewed 2644 times

COPY/PASTE from "The Spruce"
"Growlers are glass jugs that allow you to bring home fresh draft beer from the pub or brewery".
"Carrots may be good for your eyes, but Booze will double your vision"

HD Search This helped me!
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

svodysseus wrote:Hello,

I have read thru a few different threads and still am not sure what to think right now. I have a sugar (Birdwatchers) wash that I started on May 12th, it was ready to go on June 6th. Today is October 11th 2017.
Thank you for asking that!
:D
My first wash was a 4 gallon sugar/Hawaiian Punch wash to run through my 5 gallon still.
It has been in a sealed bucket and smells really really good.
That being said, can I add more HP or sugar or (suggestions) to it to bring it up to 10 - 12 gallons or so?
Since I put this in the bucket, I have figured out it's just as hard or easy to do a large wash as it is a small one.
But at least 10 gallons gives me 3 stripping runs and will make it worth the effort.
What say the experts?
:mrgreen:
masonsjax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by masonsjax »

I would think Hawaiian Punch is loaded with preservatives that would prevent yeast from doing their thing, that's precisely what preservatives are designed to do. Are you sure you have any alcohol in there? Have you checked with a hydrometer?
svodysseus
Novice

Post by svodysseus »

Im very interested in this Hawaiian Punch wash, can you elaborate on this recipe? I loved hawaiian punch as a kid.
Bamaberry wrote:
svodysseus wrote:Hello,

Thank you for asking that!
:D
My first wash was a 4 gallon sugar/Hawaiian Punch wash to run through my 5 gallon still.
It has been in a sealed bucket and smells really really good.
That being said, can I add more HP or sugar or (suggestions) to it to bring it up to 10 - 12 gallons or so?
Since I put this in the bucket, I have figured out it's just as hard or easy to do a large wash as it is a small one.
But at least 10 gallons gives me 3 stripping runs and will make it worth the effort.
What say the experts?
:mrgreen: