Found this old bottle of whisky

What do you drink, and how do you drink it?

Moderator: Site Moderator

OtisT
Master of Distillation

Found this old bottle of whisky

Post by OtisT »

I found this old bottle of whisky that had been hiding with my wine for years. It’s an unopened bottle of 6 year Canadian Club with a 1961 tax stamp. Maybe after 57 years in glass this thing has mellowed?
Canadian Club 6 year, 1961
Canadian Club 6 year, 1961
This was my Dad’s. He never drank and had kept this thing tucked away since 1961 or 1962. He received this bottle from Walt Disney at the contractors dinner for the folks who built Disney Land. I also have the bottle of Andre Champaign from the same party.
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
brat
Bootlegger

Re: Found this old bottle of whisky

Post by brat »

Wow that's pretty cool!! If you have a way to prove that Walt Disney gave it to your pops it will be probably worth some money$$. Are you planning on drinking it?
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

No labeling or anything to say it was from Disney, so it’s just a regular old bottle of whisky with sentimental value to me.

Yes, I will be drinking this with some old friends who knew my dad. No need to save it for my boy. When I die, he should have plenty of my booze to drink from what I’m making now. ;-).
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Opening it would be a waste.

Not much aging happens in a bottle so, if you want to know what it tastes like, buy a new one and drink that.
thepatchworkdoll
Swill Maker

Post by thepatchworkdoll »

Hi Ottis
Dont want to burst your bubble mate but that aint Whisky. Thats a knock off of Scottish Whisky and should be called Whiskey. Ha Ha Ha only pulling your leg mate. Are you intending to opoen it and enjioy. Please let us know your findings.
Regards
Patch
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

thepatchworkdoll wrote:Hi Ottis
Dont want to burst your bubble mate but that aint Whisky. Thats a knock off of Scottish Whisky and should be called Whiskey. Ha Ha Ha only pulling your leg mate. Are you intending to opoen it and enjioy. Please let us know your findings.
Regards
Patch
Hahaha. I never know which way to spell it for which purpose, so in this case I just went with what's on their label. I actually started the post with "Whiskey", then I looked at the label and changed the spelling to match their "Canadian Blended Whisky".

I do plan on opening it up and drinking it over time, and when I do I'll come back here to report on it. ;-)

I know it is not a particularly special product, and I don't expect to be amazed by it's age. My reference to it's 57 years of bottle aging was mostly in jest, though there are threads here that claim products do mellow some over time in glass. ;-) Just know that regardless of how good/bad it turns out to be, I will be content drinking something that is special because my father left me. :-)
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

Open it up and toast your Dad

BG
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

OtisT wrote:No labeling or anything to say it was from Disney, so it’s just a regular old bottle of whisky with sentimental value to me.

Yes, I will be drinking this with some old friends who knew my dad. No need to save it for my boy. When I die, he should have plenty of my booze to drink from what I’m making now. ;-).
I'd contact Walt Disney before I open it. They might just have a receipt that could be used to match with the distilleries records, and you might get a letter to prove it's history. It's worth a try.
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Interesting... That is Canadian Whiskey. You can buy a bottle today to see what its like.. I expect it is not exactly as it used to be.. but should give you an idea.

B
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Could be worth money, CC don't taste to bad but whoa the next day is savage.
As for the whole whisky, whiskey saga I got my own ideas on that concerning the Scots claiming some sort of ownership. Firstly "whisky" is an English word from the Welsh rendering and I'm very sure the Poms don't object to other countries borrowing it, hardly can they as its a noun of the English language but if the Scots want to claim ownership best they use their own word then, Uisge beatha :thumbup:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin