Something more going on than just ethanol. IMO

Distillation methods and improvements.

Moderator: Site Moderator

nuncaquite
Site Donor
Site Donor

Something more going on than just ethanol. IMO

Post by nuncaquite »

I have seen it mentioned on Home Distiller by various others that there is less hangover in a drink of "artisan" liquor. I am also of that opinion. It also appears to me that there is less buzzy headedness in artisan liquor. A smoother more functional type of feeling or buzz, or however it would be described.

The store bought variety gives me a different feel. Slower reflexes, numb thought, coordination is more disturbed, poor(er) judgement, indigestion, and all on less ounces. Plus the addition of the morning after headache if limits a exceeded.

Percentage of ethanol in the blood as I understand it, is what the law uses to determine intoxication. I have read up on it and also asked folks that are supposedly in the know, and they all say it matters not from where that ethanol comes. Ex. wine, beer, whiskey, vodka, they say no difference. But as for me, I dont know about all of that.

Ive toured lots of distilleries. In those that allowed a look of their process I could see that they were not as concerned with boiler and column temp as what is suggested by Home Distiller vets. Could it be that the higher temps are pushing trough other volatiles that are having an effect on the body/mind? At least as far as the "buzz" is concerned..... Damn that was long winded. Anyone make it this far :)
BugHunter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Something more going on than just ethanol. IMO

Post by BugHunter »

Funny, mostly what I've seen from the experienced folk is "don't pay attention to the temperatures, use your nose, tongue, ears and eyes."

Also what I've picked up from lots of reading here is that commercial spirits tend to contain a lot more heads and/or tails than well done homemade stuff. So there is indeed more stuff coming over in the commercial stuff due to their overly broad cuts. It's quite possible that some of those congeners are also responsible for some of the effect blamed on ethanol. I've never seem any data to support or refute that theory, but it wouldn't surprise me if it is true.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

nuncaquite wrote:I have seen it mentioned on Home Distiller by various others that there is less hangover in a drink of "artisan" liquor. I am also of that opinion. It also appears to me that there is less buzzy headedness in artisan liquor. A smoother more functional type of feeling or buzz, or however it would be described.

The store bought variety gives me a different feel. Slower reflexes, numb thought, coordination is more disturbed, poor(er) judgement, indigestion, and all on less ounces. Plus the addition of the morning after headache if limits a exceeded.

Percentage of ethanol in the blood as I understand it, is what the law uses to determine intoxication. I have read up on it and also asked folks that are supposedly in the know, and they all say it matters not from where that ethanol comes. Ex. wine, beer, whiskey, vodka, they say no difference. But as for me, I dont know about all of that.

Ive toured lots of distilleries. In those that allowed a look of their process I could see that they were not as concerned with boiler and column temp as what is suggested by Home Distiller vets. Could it be that the higher temps are pushing trough other volatiles that are having an effect on the body/mind? At least as far as the "buzz" is concerned..... Damn that was long winded. Anyone make it this far :)

I think you will find that temperature monitoring is not a Home Distiller recommendation in fact most say take it out.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I'll say I have noticed a much more intense buzz with a poorly cut spirit as opposed to something I cut specifically for drinking fresh. Of course Of course there is a headache to go along with that buzz. My vodka gives a steady smooth happy buzz that doesn't seem to last as long.
nuntius01
Rumrunner

Post by nuntius01 »

well, from my family and friends, i can say most are surprised by the lack of the after affects. then i explain that i use just the hearts. there are some exceptions when i want some of the flavors. from touring a couple of the bigger distilleries and getting behind the scenes you find out that where you may say the end of the hearts is is much more restrictive. but, then im only doing 15 gal batches too. way easier for me to be picky. :moresarcasm:
I'm just the bank and the mule

post your still pics here
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=66917
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

My behavior is much better when I drink my own or other member's spirits as opposed to 'bottled in bond' .
Three double shots of Lord Calvert and I'd , and have , fight my best friend . Set a bottle of 'Crazy Chicken' in front of me and you don't have enough rope to tie me up .
Seems that making our own improves behavior and I'm all for that .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Beer, "I love you, man!"
Retail tequila, I'm a sobbing fool.
Retail whiskey, foolishly bullet-proof.
HD Tried & Trues, civil and mellow.

It's all in the additional "pollutants" ---or lack of them.
BourbonStreet
Swill Maker

Post by BourbonStreet »

I find that homemade is a better anesthetic than store-bought. It comes on quicker, too. I don’t always realize how powerful it is, until I try to get up and walk! It also has a tendency to make me sleep like a log if drunk too late at night. The only time I get hung over from it is when I drink it on an empty stomach, or am dehydrated. Even then, it’s a minor hangover.
Worm_Drippinz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Worm_Drippinz »

nuncaquite wrote:I have seen it mentioned on Home Distiller by various others that there is less hangover in a drink of "artisan" liquor. I am also of that opinion. It also appears to me that there is less buzzy headedness in artisan liquor. A smoother more functional type of feeling or buzz, or however it would be described.

I absolutely agree finer spirits decrease hangover.

I drank a pint and a half of some higher proof hearts a while ago (my posts show, don't judge! Lol)...woke up actually feeling better than usual?!?!!!

I've had surgeries that have left me less of a man...and it sucks.

It's rare I wake up feeling good at my young age.

Good booze shows itself!!!!

Good thread IMO.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Truckinbutch wrote:My behavior is much better when I drink my own or other member's spirits as opposed to 'bottled in bond' .
Three double shots of Lord Calvert and I'd , and have , fight my best friend . Set a bottle of 'Crazy Chicken' in front of me and you don't have enough rope to tie me up .
I think so - I recognise much of that - nowadays, I just get mellow - then it's the next day ! :lol: :lol:

- Oh and - Sometimes we need to edit recent posts ! :roll:
nuncaquite
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nuncaquite »

I think you will find that temperature monitoring is not a Home Distiller recommendation in fact most say take it out.[/quote]

My post was already long enough. I didnt think every little detail would mean so much. I bbq outdoors on propane, slightest atmospheric change (wind, temp) takes my eye's to the thermometer. Anyhow, I was speaking more about the temps at distilleries. Ive seen 2 that were at 200f at the top of the column, and they were not at the end of a run. Thats smokin IMO
nuncaquite
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nuncaquite »

Forgot to say. Their product was just about undrinkable.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

nuncaquite wrote:
unknown...... wrote: I think you will find that temperature monitoring is not a Home Distiller recommendation in fact most say take it out.

My post was already long enough. I didnt think every little detail would mean so much. I bbq outdoors on propane, slightest atmospheric change (wind, temp) takes my eye's to the thermometer. Anyhow, I was speaking more about the temps at distilleries. Ive seen 2 that were at 200f at the top of the column, and they were not at the end of a run. Thats smokin IMO
I think you want your other thread ! :wink:
Pikey wrote:

- Oh and - Sometimes we need to edit recent posts ! :roll:
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Truckinbutch wrote:My behavior is much better when I drink my own or other member's spirits as opposed to 'bottled in bond' .
:lol: LOL, Tater hasn't had you out behind the stillin' shack for so long now... you must have finally got your likker cabinet emptied of the commercial booze and only have your own on hand now.

Sry...that crazy chicken line cost me a keyboard. :clap:
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

HDNB wrote:
:lol: LOL, Tater hasn't had you out behind the stillin' shack for so long now... you must have finally got your likker cabinet emptied of the commercial booze and only have your own on hand now.

Sry...that crazy chicken line cost me a keyboard. :clap:
And you proved my point :thumbup:
Sorry about your keyboard . Wild Turkey residuals mebbie ?
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
nuncaquite
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nuncaquite »

Anyhow, this is the Research and Theory section of the board. I was asking the initial question as a lead up to some other questions. Here is one.
Work long hours today, hope I can articulate this well enough. Question: Did you ever notice that alcohol rehab works for some folks, but others just dont rehab, no matter how many attempts? If its "alcohol rehab" then its "ethanol rehab". We agreed that some adult beverages affect us different than others. That there is something more (possibly) going on than just ethanol. What if those that dont rehab are having more than just an ethanol issue? Could other byproducts of fermentation be the culprit, or an additional culprit along with ethanol in their failure?
I dont think it can be ruled out. But Im no doctor.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Everyone has their own reasons for their addictions. I doubt that heads is one of them.

I can get pissed as a newt on a few beer, but damn I can drink whiskey all night. gotta be some kind of difference but they are both good!

now i drink for evil.
nuncaquite
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nuncaquite »

When I was in school the teachers would always say that alcohol was a depressant/a downer.
As we got older and began to experiment with alcohol, we noticed that a few chums would drink
and just go nuts. Just out of their heads hyper unstoppable fools. Im sure some of you have seen similar.
One drink down and they are a completely different person.

Could it be that ethanol is indeed a depressant, and that something else in the ferment is affecting these guys in such a hyper manner?
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

nuncaquite wrote:When I was in school the teachers would always say that alcohol was a depressant/a downer.
As we got older and began to experiment with alcohol, we noticed that a few chums would drink
and just go nuts. Just out of their heads hyper unstoppable fools. Im sure some of you have seen similar.
One drink down and they are a completely different person.

Could it be that ethanol is indeed a depressant, and that something else in the ferment is affecting these guys in such a hyper manner?

People with ADHD often react to drugs opposite of the "norm" the most people react.

Ritalin is a common drug to treat ADHD...a central nervous system stimulant...odd thing to treat a hyperactive kid with you'd think? No?

brain chemistry is a scary place to screw around.

now i drink for evil.
nuncaquite
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nuncaquite »

That's a solid thought
Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Post by Alchemist75 »

In terms of addiction issues I can comment with some authority as I've battled with addiction issues much of my life.
Several things:
Some of us are born with a genetic predisposition to addiction possibly because our neurotransmitters aren't as "happy" which is to say our dopamine and serotonin levels are just naturally low. I was born a brooding, introspective and pessimistic child. That's not changed in my adulthood so sometimes the sun is just a little dimmer for me than for others. I think far too much and I can't switch it off.
Another predisposing factor is high intelligence. It's been observed that very intelligent people are more prone to drug use that more "normal" folks. It has been proposed that a very intelligent mind is more likely to seek novel experience on many levels and intoxication is an easy route. With high intelligence also comes more likelihood of depression because the tendency is to see everything in the world as disappointing, dissatisfying or dull. Insufficient stimulation a thrill seeker makes.
In reply to the op, we all just take more time and care with what we're making vs. the industrial big boys. It's the quality over quantity thing or vice versa. I don't make money producing liquor and I don't make large amounts either. Why would just running it off fast and dirty make any sense? I'm the one who drinks most of my own product so I'll make it the best I can and the best my equipment will allow which on the whole is actually pretty good considering how little I spend making it. I worked out the math on my product at one point and I roughly calculated the cost at a little over 3 bucks a 5th and maybe 4.50 to 5 after it's got all the botanicals in it. It's clean spirit and it drinks decent plain and unaged. I take my time and that's the key I think, don't rush and don't be greedy
SOLVE ET COAGULA, ET HABEBIS MAGISTERIUM
morethenaname
Novice

Post by morethenaname »

I stopped drinking anything for about 3 years and likker for damn near 5. Hangovers wasnt worth the fun any more at my age now. Then i remembered a old fishing buddy from long ago use to drive to tenn twice a year for a few gals of white cuz he said it didnt mess his weekend up. Got on here reading and reading and yes reading some more and decided to take the leap and soooo glad i did. After the 1st 550.00 investment it now cost me about 23 bucks to make 40 gal mash and i get about 3 gal of 140-160 proof. I toss alot of heads and hardly any tails. I can now get swaggeringly lit and the next day is just a normal day. My gf all but stopped beer drinking and now sucks down a couple of panty dropper and is fine for work the next day. <Admin Edit> My neighbor is a bussiness owner and advit beer drinker about 2 cases a day. After he started drinking the hillbilly brew hes working his backside off.his shop if full of work hes down to a case of beer aweek he says. Has lost almost 10lbs and hasnt changed anything says he feels younger and can work longer. I come from a family that made their own as long as i can remember from beer to wine to shine made from anything like berries to old bread and pasteries from the discount place.they claimed to feed pigs with it BUT i never seen the barrel near the pen..i have been doing it now for about 4 montha and the only regret is not doing it sooner. Every friday evening now me my gf and my son(23) sit on the back porch and drink up to a 1/2 gal on strawberry pd. We enjoy it so much i actually made a 6 gal carboy full of it.12lbs of berries about 4lbs of sugar. We picked wild black berries last weekend and i will remove them from freezer this weekend to make some with them. SOOOOOO is there something more going on...from my point of veiw there is.. I will prob never see the inside of a abc store again. It takes me about a hour to male the mash and approx 6 hours to run a 20 gal batch but when i run i am doing something else at the same time whether its cutting fruit balancing check book paying bills cleaning shop. Or reading even more posting on here.my gf just told me the other day she thinks i will be doing this for the rest of my life even if i stop drinking for awhile again. She is probably right. Its oddly fun. From the sight of a churning mash to the cold drips froma hot tank of brew.. I am addicted to the process apparently lol.
Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Post by Alchemist75 »

It's quite satisfying isn't it. The longer I do it the better my skills, equipment and product become. What I produce now is a far cry from the swill I produced from a corn sugar head 6 years ago. Taint no popskull moonshine that I produce!
SOLVE ET COAGULA, ET HABEBIS MAGISTERIUM