Keg Flange Stainless Vs Copper

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Florida_Man
Novice

Keg Flange Stainless Vs Copper

Post by Florida_Man »

I have been out of the hobby for a little while now. I wanted to upgrade to a better still before continuing (if you look at my first still in my posts you will see why). I decided to wait and build a keg still. Finally found a used and legal keg. I have a Anheuser Busch keg. When looking at all the posts about flanges, I decided I don't want to make my own flange for two reasons. First, I want a real good seal. Second, I think I would ruin the pipe making the easy flange. What I am left with is buying a flange. Copper flanges seem nice but are a lot more expensive than stainless. Would buying a stainless flange and soldering it to the copper column do the same job as using a coper flange? If it is more of a hassle to use stainless, I do not mind using copper. I plan for my column to be two inches.
zapata
Distiller

Re: Keg Flange Stainless Vs Copper

Post by zapata »

I have a 2" copper with one of the ss flanges that fits (with heat and a good bit of beating) inside the copper. No problems, and almost as cheap as an easy flange. No problem using stainless, as long as you use appropriate solder, many hardware store solders wont join cu and ss. I use harris or radnor brand stay brite solder and stay clean liquid flux. Easy peasy.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Yeah lead free soft solder and liquid flux for sure .
Just gently apply the heat to the copper not the staino . As soon as the flux starts to splutter , paint on some more with a hog bristle brush and apply your solder . If the heat is right , the solder will pull into the joint .

Make sure both surfaces are shiny clean before starting and apply liberal flux .

Coppers soooo much easy but staino is quite doable
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Florida_Man wrote:...Copper flanges seem nice but are a lot more expensive than stainless...
“Buy once...cry once”.

Stainless ferrules work and can be soldered (they fit inside of 2” type M nicely). But the copper ferrules are made for 2” copper, so they fit very well and make a solid union when properly soldered.

If you can swing the cash, I’m sure you’ll be happy with the investment.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

I don't know anyone that cried after buying a 2" ss ferrule. There's no crying in soldering.

Super easy. Just get the SS ferrule. The only reason to get the cu one is if you are looking for that beautiful look. Otherwise, most of us grab the stainless ones and it works out.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:I don't know anyone that cried after buying a 2" ss ferrule. There's no crying in soldering.
:lol:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 50&t=53989
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

T-Pee! :lol:

Well, as I stand corrected, I still don't think that there is alot of people who ultimately think that an ez flange is actually easier than a ss ferrule. Sure, the copper one is easiest, and pretty, but the ss is not to be avoided. Right flux and solder, it will be just fine. Besides, it's usually an obnoxiously tight fit as it is, so the solder is more of a vapor sealant at that point than a connection strength point.

There's lots of ways to get it done. If ya got the money, can't make too big an argument against a pretty copper ferrule, though! :thumbup:
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
hpby98
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hpby98 »

Not going with tri-clamp fittings?
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Pretty sure we are talking about triclamps. Specifically the fitting that can put a triclamp on a standard straight pipe is called a ferrule. The diy version is an easy flange.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:T-Pee! :lol:

Well, as I stand corrected, I still don't think that there is alot of people who ultimately think that an ez flange is actually easier than a ss ferrule. Sure, the copper one is easiest, and pretty, but the ss is not to be avoided. Right flux and solder, it will be just fine. Besides, it's usually an obnoxiously tight fit as it is, so the solder is more of a vapor sealant at that point than a connection strength point.
Soldering SS ferrules to copper pipe is easy peasy. There's plenty of threads outlining the process, but here's a few tips:

1. Harris stuff is great. Use the liquid flux. Its easier than paste IMO. Get the 3/32" solder if you can find it - more control getting solder in and cleans up nice.
2. For that 'obnoxiously tight fit', bevel the edge of your ferrule. I used a bench grinder. Makes coaxing in with your hammer a breeze.
3. Flatten your solder with a hammer sandwiched between tin foil. Again, helps regulating flow of solder into the joint.

I got my ferrules and tri-clamps from Glacier Tanks. Get the 12mm 2" ones. They're $3.29 each. Quick turnaround.
Attachments
IMG_1767 copy.jpg
IMG_1787 copy.jpg
IMG_1799 copy.jpg
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Florida_Man
Novice

Post by Florida_Man »

Thanks everyone for all the advice!
I got a lot to think about and consider know