Mr P's Hot Cinnamon Schnapps (fire piss).

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

kimbodious
Distiller

Re: Mr P's Hot Cinnamon Schnapps (fire piss).

Post by kimbodious »

I use Stevia for the syrup for my version of this.

Thanks for reminding me, I have a jar that needs diluting and bottling. I put an oak domino with the sticks this time around, will ve interesting to see if that adds more complexity to the flavour!
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
pounsfos
Distiller

Post by pounsfos »

kimbodious wrote:I use Stevia for the syrup for my version of this.

Thanks for reminding me, I have a jar that needs diluting and bottling. I put an oak domino with the sticks this time around, will be interesting to see if that adds more complexity to the flavour!
Do keep us in the loop, I just put a cinnimon stick, vanilla bean, and some toasted oak away in dark place, will remove cinnimon after 2 weeks or so then let it go for a year. what does the Stevia taste like compared to normal sugar?
ufo8mycow wrote:So I just found a jar i had sitting for at least a couple years in the back of the cabinet and went ahead and mixed up a big batch and damn this is some good stuff. It came out a really dark red color even after mixing.
Before I mixed it I took a sip of the 95% and it was really smooth. Hot but smooth.
wow!! what a find, I've almost built my cupboard up to that level. take a picture if you can, mine are always a light red colour.

How many times do people recycle the sticks? I'm on gen 4 of cinnimon sticks (I infuse 1 month then bottle, I found gen 3 to be as tasy as gen 1, so I was just going to keep going until i notice, just wondering how long people use theres for, I use 2 sticks per litre i want to make, and i do it at 80%
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

Stevia has a different taste to sugar syrup but preferable in this household than cloying thick sucrose syrup.

I use the Stevia powder used for baking. 1/4 cup stevia powder dissolved in 1/2 a litre of boiling water straight from the kettle - no sign of recrystallation. It is more expensive than sugar syrup but much much easier to make.

I put a great handful of cinnamon sticks in a litre and a bit of 95% ABV. I soak those for at least two months. I hadn't bothered reusing the sticks - they are so cheap at the local asian foodstore.

Just bottled three litres of the oaked cinnamon liqueur (diluted to 40% ABV), intial taste is promising but the oak is very subtle.
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
C2H5O5
Swill Maker

Post by C2H5O5 »

OK, I started my first batch, seeya in 30 days!!!!
20171030101 (Custom).jpg
Fire piss #1
  • 32 oz of 190+
  • 4 Cassia cinnamon sticks
  • 4 Ceylon cinnamon sticks
  • Steep 30 days
  • Simple syrup 2 cups sugar, 2 cups water.
  • Add 300 ml (11oz.) of alcohol to 500 ml (16 oz.) of simple syrup
  • Top off cinnamon jar with 190, repeat

Fire piss 2 (starting in 30 days)
  • 32 oz of 190+
  • 4 Cassia cinnamon sticks
  • 4 Ceylon cinnamon sticks
  • Steep 30 days
  • Simple syrup 2 cups dark brown sugar, 2 cups water.
  • Add 300 ml (11oz.) of alcohol to 500 ml (16 oz.) of simple syrup
  • Top off cinnamon jar with 190, repeat

OK I need cinnamon sticks but after reading this what should I do?

Which to use? Ceylon, Cassia, Korintje or Saigon? Types of Cinnamon, biased towards Ceylon
Ceylon is technically the only true cinnamon.

From what I have researched (google), is that Concentrations of Coumarin vary, Ceylon @0.12g, Cassia@ 0.31g
Korintje@ 2.15g and the highest being Saigon @6.97g, these are based on grams per kilogram from my understanding. Ok now the technical BS is out of the way!

What is Coumarin?

Coumarin Wiki

Should I worry about Coumarin?
There are warnings that Coumarin can cause liver damage, the warnings are for large doses.

What is a large dose?
From what I have read, individuals that are taking it as a medicinal supplement (on a regular basis) should be concerned.

Should I be concerned for this Tried and True recipe?
I don't know how the alcohol is affected in a steeping environment. But personally, speaking for myself, I am not worried.

Does steeping the cinnamon sticks in alcohol draw out Coumarin?
I do not know. I would think that with steeping it wold be less than total consumption, I feel comfortable using in moderation, and I would think those of us that are worried about the Coumarin steeping into our liquor and adversely affecting our livers should be more worried about the alcohol affecting our livers.

What am I going to do?
I know McCormick uses cassia as most supermarkets do and I have purchased some cassia sticks that or in some 190+ right now and I am waiting on my Ceylon sticks to arrive that will be added next week.
With my information below I decided I will be using a 50/50 mix of Cassia (McCormick) and Ceylon

Ceylon is a bit sweeter and has a milder flavor
Cassia is not as sweet, a bit spicier and bitter,
Korintje is Spicy and pungent
Saigon is Spicy and sweet.

My reasoning is I think the heat/spicy will come more from the Cassia than the Ceylon

I hope this info helps.
"Carrots may be good for your eyes, but Booze will double your vision"

HD Search This helped me!
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

C2H5O5, you worry too much.

Go to the Latin or Oriental grocery and get the cheap cinnamon sticks. Your regular grocer would have them too, but they'll be even less expensive at the ethnic markets. You could buy the McCormick sticks in the spice section of your store, but they'll be much more expensive (unnecessary). Just get the "woody" sticks from the ethnic section...better value (less expensive).

Use those sticks, and just monitor the progress. If you need more cinnamon, then add another stick. If you need less cinnamon, then pull the liquor off the sticks sooner. It's as simple as that.

Do what you like....but like what you do.

And stop worrying so much...it'll kill you before the liquor does.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
C2H5O5
Swill Maker

Post by C2H5O5 »

still_stirrin wrote:C2H5O5, you worry too much.

Go to the Latin or Oriental grocery and get the cheap cinnamon sticks. Your regular grocer would have them too, but they'll be even less expensive at the ethnic markets. You could buy the McCormick sticks in the spice section of your store, but they'll be much more expensive (unnecessary). Just get the "woody" sticks from the ethnic section...better value (less expensive).

Use those sticks, and just monitor the progress. If you need more cinnamon, then add another stick. If you need less cinnamon, then pull the liquor off the sticks sooner. It's as simple as that.

Do what you like....but like what you do.

And stop worrying so much...it'll kill you before the liquor does.
ss
:eh:

That wasn't me worrying, that was me trying to take the worry out of the folks that are worried. :egeek: The questions were for the benefit of others, I was approaching it like a FAQ type of page, sorry my point wasn't taken how I intended. :esad:
Does steeping the cinnamon sticks in alcohol draw out Coumarin?
I do not know. I would think that with steeping it wold be less than total consumption, I feel comfortable using in moderation, and I would think those of us that are worried about the Coumarin steeping into our liquor and adversely affecting our livers should be more worried about the alcohol affecting our livers
Should I be concerned for this Tried and True recipe?
I don't know how the alcohol is affected in a steeping environment. But personally, speaking for myself, I am not worried.
I chose my sticks based on flavor profile not out of fear.

:)
"Carrots may be good for your eyes, but Booze will double your vision"

HD Search This helped me!
pounsfos
Distiller

Post by pounsfos »

Great Write up there C2H5O5

If you're on a little island likie me or in some remote area where you can't just walk into a shop and get 3 different types of cinnimon sticks (like myself)
E-bay should sort ya out, otherwise just take what they got, it'l do the trick, I was thinking of trying cinnimon powder but I figured it might not work as well.

Filtering should be fine.

I'm about to run another batch, might do a side by side comparison between sticks and powder.

I'm not a fan off sugar in my drinks, i'm more el-naturaal , but might try stevia and a few other artificial, and some safe sugar alternatives for my diabetic friends.

the sticks im using now arent giving out as much colour as last time, but the spirit is definitly darkening, this is the 4th time I've used them, maybe 3 uses is the limit?
hpby98
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hpby98 »

Was hunting up more information on cinnamon and came across this:

http://www.silkroadspices.ca/products/cinnamon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

They had writeups on the different types. Now where to find the different ones around me?
Forest Beekeeper
Novice

Post by Forest Beekeeper »

Today we visited the Distillery of MB.Roland near Fort Campbell. They produce a cinnamon 'hot' that includes cayenne pepper in the recipe.
CaptMorgan
Bootlegger

Post by CaptMorgan »

Fire Piss sounds like a drink I would enjoy. I have a couple of jars soaking on sticks right now. After a couple of weeks, the color looks great and the smell is amazing! Do you guys filter/strain before adding syrup? My sticks seem to have been leaving some chunks of bark in my jars. I read the entire thread and the only mention of filtering was with ground cinnamon.
Lord, give me patience, but give it to me NOW!

2" x 38" Bokakob column head, 15 gallon keg boiler
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

CaptMorgan wrote:...Do you guys filter/strain before adding syrup? My sticks seem to have been leaving some chunks of bark in my jars...
Yes, I've had to....for the very reason you mentioned.

Run it through a coffee filter before you try to add the syrup. Otherwise it'll plug the filter.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
hpby98
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hpby98 »

Just did another pull after almost 3 months of soaking.

Did 50/50 with simple syrup

Mellowed and matured nicely compared to the pull at one month.

Thanks again for the recipe!
CaptMorgan
Bootlegger

Post by CaptMorgan »

I just made several bottles of this recipe. I used rads all bran for my neutral. It is good stuff! I took some to share at Christmas and most everyone liked it. A few thought the alcohol was too high. It is a little too sweet for me, I may cut the sugar about 25% for my next round. I got some organic cinnamon sticks from Amazon for $15 a pound.

I tried mine with some commercial Hot Damn, flavor of mine was much better. Mine was 80-90 proof where the store bought stuff was 30 proof.

Happy New year everyone!
Lord, give me patience, but give it to me NOW!

2" x 38" Bokakob column head, 15 gallon keg boiler
zed255
Distiller

Post by zed255 »

We love the cinnamon. I recently pulled a gallon off the sticks that had reached its first anniversary with two more gallons behind it seeking then the hit two and three years respectively.

I recently had a thought that didn't give me any hits when I searched:

Anybody dilute and redistill fire piss into a colourless product? I would think the flavour would distill over well.
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
ve3rpm
Novice

Post by ve3rpm »

I tried this and had it sitting for a few days, when I read about nuclear aging... decided to try that. 3 cycles in the micro and wow! Set it outside... (it's snowing here), Once cooled the final time I cut it and tasted. I can see myself making more of this. Now the wife is undecided if this is her fav or the panty dropper. Thanks for this!
Phathead
Novice

Post by Phathead »

Prairiepiss wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:41 am

I make a simple sugar syrup by adding enough sugar to 2 cups water to make 4 cups of syrup.
stupid question but I'm not following how to get 4 cups from 2 cups. I got the neutral with cinnamon sticks soaking just getting ready for the syrup part.
zed255
Distiller

Post by zed255 »

The way I'm reading it is to take 2 cups of water and add sugar to it until the total volume of water and dissolved sugar reaches 4 cups of volume. Dissolving sugar into water increases the total volume.
----------
Zed

Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Glad to see people are enjoying the recipe. I had a buddy tell me he hadn’t had any fire piss in a long time. And that I should do something about that. I should have the original jar around here somewhere. I am curious as to what it will be like aging for this long. I need to find that jar.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Funny thing, In November I was getting Christmas decorations down from the attic and came across these.
cinnamon #2 - C.jpg
My wife and I have been enjoying it while I was off on Christmas vacation. They are 5 years old. The light colored one is cut and sugared. The darker one is the original bottle which still has a single cinnamon stick in it and a little bit of vanilla bean but is full strength with no sugar. It has aged very well up there in the attic.
cinnamon #3 - C.jpg
PS. Nice to see you back Mr P :wave:
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Nice cranky. That looks tasty.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
Soft batch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Soft batch »

It’s been a few years since I last made a batch of this, but I’ve had a small amount left gathering dust. Saw this post and was inspired to dig it out. Well worth digging it out, very tasty and even better after sitting! I see another batch in my future!

Welcome back PP!
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Thanks. You all are really making me want to find that jar. Lol
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
zed255
Distiller

Post by zed255 »

zed255 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:10 pm We love the cinnamon. I recently pulled a gallon off the sticks that had reached its first anniversary with two more gallons behind it seeking then the hit two and three years respectively.

I recently had a thought that didn't give me any hits when I searched:

Anybody dilute and redistill fire piss into a colourless product? I would think the flavour would distill over well.
Another gallon has had its second anniversary, so I think what is left of the year old is going to get distilled to see what comes out. I'm hoping for a clear spirit that can be diluted and back sweetened without going cloudy and creating a lot of precipitate in the bottle. Will report back should anyone be curious.
----------
Zed

zed255
Distiller

Post by zed255 »

Well, I finally got around to distilling some of my 1+year old cinnamon maceration. I can say the cinnamon character carries over nicely, while subduing some of the heat. I diluted to ~38% ABV with some simple syrup and feel this might be a tad too sweet. Next time I will use a higher water to sugar ratio and perhaps use dextrose instead of inverting sucrose.

The overall result is really nice and presents well. I found the maceration did not dilute well giving much precipitate.
----------
Zed

zed255
Distiller

Post by zed255 »

I did another small batch with two minor differences. First I made my cut of the final distillate a little earlier. My wife said there was something faint at the back end of the finish that I believed may have come from going just a little too deep on the first run. Second was to use a simple syrup made using dextrose instead of sucrose. My target ABV was similar at 40%.

Using dextrose instead of sucrose had a couple differences show up. The dextrose syrup is thinner compared to sucrose. Dextrose is known to be less sweet on the palate, by about 25%, which is the case here subjectively speaking. Dextrose syrup is colourless compared to the slight golden cast of sucrose, which makes for a nice visual presentation.

I will let the new batch mellow for a little while and then compare side by side.
----------
Zed

fisics67
Novice

Post by fisics67 »

I just made another batch of this, or at least something based on this recipe. I have made a couple of changes that I think turned out well, so I thought I would pass them along. Although, I am not sure if someone else has done similar as I have not read every page of this thread.

Instead of using a neutral, I used UJSSM hearts @73% to soak the cinnamon sticks. I used lots of cinnamon and soaked them for about 2 weeks. My syrup I made using 2 parts water to 1 part real brown cane sugar. Then proofed down to ~30% using the syrup.

The brown sugar adds some flavor obviously, I like the addition, and it seems to round out the cinnamon without diminishing it. It also adds a little mouth feel. The UJSSM also adds a little flavor which I think compliments it nicely.

This is my favorite version so far.
johnnyrains
Novice

Post by johnnyrains »

That sounds really good! I agree - neutral doesn't taste right. I put some toasted oak in with the cinnamon sticks (to simulate some aging to the new-make), and I agree a less sugary syrup, like 2:1 (water to sugar).
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Not sure that here in AU we can buy anything called "Hot Damn"...but we can buy a bottle of stuff called "FIREBALL Cinnamon Flavoured Whisky."
Been playing around with this recipe of Mr Pees for the last month or so.......used some UJ Hearts run through 5 Plates for some of it ......good clean neutral for a couple of other experiments.
All have been very tasty ......getting the sweetness to my liking has been the biggest challenge.........getting close enough now where I'll be happy to share it with almost anyone.
Thank you for the recipe Mr P...its a fine drop beside the fire on a cold night . :thumbup:
RC Al
Swill Maker

Post by RC Al »

Try it with some orange flavoured stuff, Yummo

Trying to make a copy of the 43 liqueur (up to 7 ingredients out of 43 now lols) slipped with some cinnamon powder, turned into a happy mistake :thumbup:
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Yeah 43 is another story best kept for a fresh thread. That recipe though not here ,has much potential :thumbup: Leave it to you to get it up.